Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do the early buyers rewards influence if or when you buy a pack?

Ever since cottage living EA gives a reward for anyone who buys the pack early on (within a month or so). The upcoming horse ranch EP is the fourth pack to follow this strategy. sims-4-horse-ranch-rewards.jpg
I sometimes find the idea that something is only available for a limited time very annoying. I can get of FOMO because once the time is over, there is no way to ever get these items. The early buyers rewards (mainly the bike) were part of the reason why I got cottage living at full price. So how do you guys feel about it.

Do the early buyers rewards influence if or when you buy a pack? 160 votes

Yes, I make sure to get the reward because I don't want to miss out on this one time offer
5%
alanmichael1mlmeadowskiwi84friendsfan367LSM36WispyePerti23skip 8 votes
No, I don't feel the need to buy the EP sooner for the reward. I can wait
32%
BreeSashaalexspoom13SimmervilleOmri147Colorist40suetoopEvilWitch83MelisendreCynnaAnmirlaElegantblkchina1JestTrug01denswanloubyloulouBariSaxyc_ferrisbixtersLoriTSpLemon405cyncie 52 votes
It doesn't apply because I get EP right at or right after release anyway, with or without early buyers incentive
32%
crocobaurasimjenn2004Kita5399GalacticGallori171957JueJueMi9shaoscarsam123mcruddelemmelemaggiemae8135BoergeAarg61cchant86MindofySimplyJensclevenger08hellohannah2CarmineMVWdeZTYamineHearts 52 votes
Depends on the reward objects/EP
20%
BluegayleIcewolfMichelleWCabelle1863PlayerSinger2010IObellerebekah512MalalupisBuildnShareTeeSeaAdria22annaliese39snoepjes1210AineLenny_OggmusteniKirbycatJemmaTheSimmerxxxsillysimsEvilyn_1007 32 votes
I don't know
0%
Lady_Ballora 1 vote
Other
9%
Sara1010PIceyJelanorbretonsimgirl1010kemowerymitchiebanjoCAPTAIN_NXR7ChadSims2ddd994Amapola76GlacierSnowGordymanicobsessiveGrimlyFiendishfujicakes1 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Cottage living: I wanted the bike and got the pack sooner than I would have otherwise
    High school years: I skipped the pack entirely and am not interested in getting it
    Growing together: This was the kind of pack I was willing to get right away. The additional baby carrier is a nice bonus but not the reason why I got it.
    Horse Ranch: I plan to wait for a sale because I am mainly interested in the world, build buy and nectar making.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    edited June 2023
    Pretty much same as above. The rewards do have an influence on me, but it also depends on the rewards. Cottage Living & Growing Together rewards I loved, so I bought them early, I also liked the packs though! Highschool Years I didn't care for the rewards and didn't think I would like the pack (I was wrong BTW), so waited for a sale. Horse Ranch interests me a lot, but I don't feel persuaded by the rewards, I'll probably still buy it in time because I don't have the patience to wait for a sale to get horses.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    edited June 2023
    Other
    DO THE EARLY BUYERS REWARDS INFLUENCE IF OR WHEN YOU BUY A PACK?
    No, it doesn’t.

I’m not a Sims 4 completist, however, when I see items and gameplay from an actual pack that I just know I will use, I’m not willing to wait for a sale, since I have an EA PLAY membership and will get 10% discount on all content regardless.

That said, I do like the early buyer bonus items of most packs, but I’m also aware that these items don’t add additional gameplay. They’re “just” re-skins of already functional objects. They’re a nice bonus.

Just like Grim’s heavy metal guitar is not an electric, I’m almost certain that the resonator guitar won’t be an “actual” resonator guitar. Now, If it was advertised like that, it would have given me enough reason to buy the pack early, JUST for that.

I already pre-ordered Horse Ranch as it won’t make a difference to me whether I buy it today or in 2 months. I’m on my holidays and my mind’s made up. I want horses A S A P.🐎
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited June 2023
    All it does is make me angry

I don't want to buy into the concept of limited time items
    I almost feel like doing the opposite and not buying any packs with limited items at release
    just to show them they should stop this nonsense about right now if they want the money

truth is though that I very often love the pack itself too much to wait a sale
    or they put in something that I really don't want to miss like that stupid guitar *hissing*

I have bought many packs at release even before the limited items
    and many packs at discount too when I couldn't afford to get something at release
    and packs after release full price when I could afford it couple months later
    but I just really don't want this limited item thing to continue

why should we be punished for not having the means to buy packs immediately as they release?
    why should these items never be available again if you didn't get the pack at release?
    or say you had other life things to do when pack released
    why should you forever lose these items if you were not around at release?

*Rampage*

If you add items anyway
    why not add them available for everyone seriously
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    WispyeWispye Posts: 141 Member
    Yes, I make sure to get the reward because I don't want to miss out on this one time offer
    it will this pack i like the wheel and rocking chair
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    The bike in the Cottage Living pack did influence me to buy the pack early. But I wanted the pack anyway.

As for the other packs, I don't even remember what the items were. Growing Together I wanted on release anyway.

I'm still making my mind up on Horse Ranch. I probably won't decide until after the Livestream and early access videos.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2023
    I often make the decision that "I am going to buy the pack one day anyway so I might as well buy it within the allowed time limit of that offer and get the additional items if there are items that I like."

I feel that I kinda need to explain my reasoning though, especially considering how vocal I have been about EA's business practices in the past. I have changed a bit when it comes to how I feel about the sims4, the thing is that I have for years kinda felt that I should show when I am displeased with EA's business practices and not buy packs early or don't buy them at all and I have been very vocal about bugs and other things that have been less great with the sims4. When kits were introduced I was very "anti-kit" and refused to buy them.

But I noticed that this affected me mentally, I was less and less happy with the game and less happy with a lot of things overall, so when this hit "rock bottom" with High School Years I decided to stop being invested in it so much.

I often say this to myself these days: This is not my fight. I started playing the sims4 less, bought whatever I felt like, for example kits and didn't care too much about the business practice of them anymore.

So while I am not a fan of them having items that are only available during a limited time... my mental health goes first so I'm going to probably buy the pack within that time limit because I still enjoy playing the sims4 from time to time, it's nice to get three additional items and I can afford buying packs for full price.

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited June 2023
    Playing on PC gives me the advantage that I can just wait for the bonus items to be modded into the game. But so far, I've never felt the need to look for such mods or cc. They're really not that special.

The only bonus items I have are those from Cottage Living, which I bought shortly after its release. Not because of the items, but because I really wanted the pack, and I don't regret buying it at full price. I can hardly think of any type of bonus content I'd want so bad that I would buy a pack early when I wasn't planning to do that anyway.

Edit: I forgot to say, Horse Ranch is another one of those packs that I really want, so I'm probably going to buy it early and get the bonus content. But again, the bonus content itself is not the reason.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Other
    They really tempt me. Even if I don't want the items, the FOMO gets to me. But I've been able to resist and let them pass me by if I genuinely feel that the pack isn't worth buying at full price. Cough cough High School Years cough.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    It doesn't apply because I get EP right at or right after release anyway, with or without early buyers incentive
    I don't really care about the early rewards. I buy packs because I like the game.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    The bonus items sometimes discorage me from waiting for a sale, but I don't think there's been a pack yet where I wanted the bonus items so much that I *had* to get it early.
    But then, I haven't had a reasont to skip an EP yet. I can always find something worth gettting (though there are a few game packs I wish I'd waited on...)
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    It's nothing new. With a lot of games in different franchises.

Reminds me when I use to go to game stop and if you preordered there was a little freebie to get with said game release. This practice is just nothing new. You either want it or you don't. Just some items we already have in game in a different style.

Or a limited time offer during whatever X event online for a game.

Think people get this 'woe as me' or 'what about me' mentality because whatever reason they weren't able to get said item. Yep can suck if you miss it, but life goes on.

Gaming is a luxury. Not a privilege. An expensive one at that.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

haha got me! I even bought Growing together in time because i thought i would need that baby carrier one day (and I was right lol). I'm lying to myself by pretending it would depend on the objects but I play without mods and cc so I do need anything 😳 ...
    I hate myself for being so stupid. The Sims and I have a very unhealthy relationship 🤕
    And I still curse myself for not looking closely at that ad for cottage living so I missed the objects!
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I always pre-order. It had perks back in Sims2, as in being one of the first to get the pack and start playing. I like to explore a pack before I see pictures of what others have found in the pack. I'm a little weird that way, I guess. I do like the additional items for purchasing early. I like having the pack on the day of release.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Other
    It would matter if I always had money, but really the only thing that influences when I buy packs is when I can afford them. So.
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
    I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
    I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    It hasn't influenced me so far. I've been playing on the Werewolf patch all this time so couldn't play the new EPs anyway. I suppose I could have still bought them in preparation for when I did decide to update my game, but that just wouldn't be practical. I don't feel I need to own all packs and content because I don't always like the theme or want certain types of gameplay that could irritate me or weigh the game down with things I won't use.

But I can see why some people like to collect special items and I can also see why other people hate the practice of it. Both have equally good reasoning, so I don't really have a strong stance on it myself.

#Team Occult
  • Options
    PifflePrincessPifflePrincess Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2023
    I'm usually easily convinced to buy the pack by the trailers/livestreams, so there is no need for extra incentives. If I have the money (and thankfully now I have a stable job) and the pack interest me, I get it at launch/preorder it.
    On a couple of occasions, I regretted buying a pack at full price, because I ended up not using its features that much (I'm looking at you, High School Years and Werewolves), but usually CAS or B/B items had made it up at least in part.

To be honest, so far none of the early buyer bonuses had ever gotten my attention. I could easily go without even if I play on console, and we don't have the lucky chance to get them as CCs at some point.

[Edit] I even noticed that the Cottage Living ones had disappeared from my game. Not sure if it was a bug with the PS Store when the pack launched, or if they weren't downloaded again when I upgraded from PS4 to PS5 and re-installed the game and all of the packs.
    Console player (PS). Finally reached 1000+ hours on The Sims 4.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I'll gladly take any preorder rewards, but from prior experience I'll likely use them once and then forget they're in Build Mode.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    It would bother me a lot more if the window for the items were preorder only. The biggest game-breaking bugs usually get fixed before the time runs out, so there's less risk of buying a new pack on release day only for the whole thing to be unusable (not to say every bug is fixed, but there's a huge difference to me in "fireworks stopped working" and "the save button stopped working and the game crashes"). I always wait for mods to update anyway, so having a month to purchase is fine with me. None of the items have been unique enough yet to influence my timeline for purchasing a pack.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,930 Member
    I couldn't care less, if being honest.
    I only remember the bike and baby carrier, both items I have, but never used so far. No even tiniest idea what were the other items.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    It doesn't matter to me really, I buy the packs as soon as they launch or within a few days anyways. Only once, Growing Together, I had just had my baby when it launched and wasn't playing but I wanted the extras so I ordered it, downloaded it and then closed out the game. So I guess once it influenced me. But that was a rare won't happen again occasion.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Other
    I could almost have chosen this option: "It doesn't apply because I get EP right at or right after release anyway, with or without early buyers incentive."

Most of the time, that's true. I usually wait a long time for stuff packs, and a long time for kits if I get them at all. But most EPs and GPs I buy right away. By "right away" I generally mean within a week of the release, once I have a chance to hear what the worst of the bugs are. Also, I have a fulltime job, and packs release during the week, so I'm generally not going to play until weekend, at the earliest, no matter how excited I am for the pack.

That being said, there have been a very few EPs that I was worried about, so I didn't buy right away, and so far, they either haven't had bonus content or it's bonus content I don't care about at all. High School Years is the only one that immediately comes to mind: I was interested, but annoyed by some of the aspects of it (like not being able to use clubs on school grounds), so I waited a while; however, I was deeply uninterested in the extra content, so I didn't mind missing that at all.

So, as of now, the extra content has worked out well for me. I've done what I was going to do anyway, and got some extra content out of it, so it's a win-win. I think as long as the bonus content aligns pretty closely with the theme of the pack, that should continue to be the case.

Now, if they come out with, like, a superhero EP (which I don't care about at all), and the bonus content includes something unrelated that I really want, like a sculpting or glassblowing station, I would be livid. But I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    edited June 2023
    I’m going to buy the packs anyway, and usually within a few days. I haven’t seen a pack I really didn’t want. I don’t use CC or mods so extra stuff is always wanted by me. Whether it be for build, CAS or the world. The only time I didn’t get packs right away was when I needed to get a better laptop, and it took me over a year to decide which one I wanted, and to buy it. So, it actually would have upset me that I couldn’t get the extra content, so it would just have been a negative towards EA, and I might just have decided not to play anymore. At the time I wasn’t able to put City living when it came out because of needing a new one, so they may have lost me, as a player back then if they had been withholding content because of no real fault of mine. As it was back then I was playing other games on my on a portable system. In Fact, I was very upset that they didn’t give us PC players a chance to buy the pajama pack that they gave to Xbox players. I don’t expect free content, but at least let me buy the content you do have, otherwise you are penalizing me. I feel like penalizing people for not buying things right away could actually back fire and make people beginning to play not worry about completing the set if they are unable to afford a pack right when it comes out, and this miss out on content. Pack extra’s for buying before a certain date might actually make some people decide to not become “completionists” that otherwise might have become one, so that would offset others who are waiting to buy on sale. People who can wait for sales already have the fortitude not to buy something, and may just anger them to not buy it at all. If you can’t afford something, it’s because you can’t afford it…..why penalize them?
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    My answer has a caveat which is that I am a completist but I do still wait for reviews and overview videos because if the pack is game-breaking (MWS) I do wait until the bugs are fixed. So far, none of the packs with bonus items have been broken enough that I've felt I have to wait beyond the holding period.
    I waited about two months before buying MWS (just for the world) and three months before buying Eco Lifestyle (now I see this as an essential pack), but other than that I buy things within a few weeks of release, once I have "clearance"
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i like the rewards because its free stuff.