Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When Do You Decide To Age Your Sims to the Elder Lifestage?

Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
The following Spring in my current save see's my sim self's parents enter their final life stage: Elders. Now i am unsure whether or not to age them up just yet. Shortly after their birthday's, their youngest daughter ages up to the Teen life stage and by their time is up, they might just see her go off to University. At present my sim self's parents are what you would call "recurring characters" as i don't play them that often.

My sim self's parents have already been "revived" after their ghosts were culled once at the request of my real life mother as she didn't take this news lightly and never let me hear the end of it! :D

I was wondering, when do you decide it's time for your Adults to become Elders?

When Do You Decide To Age Your Sims to the Elder Lifestage? 87 votes

When i am ready to
50%
Checksky3Icewolfmaggiemae8135simgirl1010Paigeisin5FlashMarkerjus1nickiegoodcakebaker62barracuda1574DarkLady2788mitchiebanjoPinkHairGuitartaydevPlumbobCrossingBabykittyjadeFinvolas_stutlerMarkwilsonEnkiSchmidtCeridwen 44 votes
I play through until the end of each life stage
49%
BluegayleicmnfrshGalacticGalIceyJHowGreatThouArtrudolphasuetoopTheSpotted_CasimbsimelanorbretonhaneulheiblumekerryemmiebethMariefoxprice83cchant86SavorySageloubyloulouMindofygreydonnSimplyJen 43 votes

Comments

• Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    When i am ready to

Keep getting the "Potion of Youth" from the satisfaction reward store to keep them from aging up to 'death'.
    I wish this could be done in real life, heh heh!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I'm somewhere between. I play rotationally, so most of all it depends on the sim and if they're still part of my core rotation. I've also switched between playing normal and long lifespans. On normal I would usually play until the end of the life stage, but on long it could be when I'm ready. Again depends on the sim too.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I play on Long and that allows for several days for each life stage. Also, with HSY they totally revamped the numbers. I think they may also do so in GT, but don't quote me. At any rate, I allow my Sims to live out their current life stage and they age up, naturally. With Elders, I'm not playing a specified Legacy, so it isn't necessary for my Adults to become Elders sooner than they might. Most will decease quickly, since they aren't overly athletic and I don't play a traditional rotation. The other families are pretty much on their own. That's what so cool about grandparents coming for a 'stay' when a Baby is born. This should be interesting.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    I play it through to the end---I want it to emulate real life, with natural aging progression
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    My aging on saves, when it happens, it happens. My aging off saves, when they've done everything they need to do as an Adult.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,853 Member
    edited March 2023
    When i am ready to
    I age sims up when I feel like it. I play exclusively with aging off, but I have turned it on once or twice very briefly. I've never been big on family gameplay up to this point. I have one save right now where families will eventually become part of the story but I still plan to control when the kids age up. I am looking forward to the infant update and the new pack even if it ends up only being used for that one save.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    When i am ready to
    I play with aging off, so literally everything is "when I am ready to."

That being said, in all these years of the game, I have never aged up any sims to Elder... no, wait, that's not quite true. I aged up Geoffrey Landgraab to an Elder while Nancy is still an adult. Even though it's canon, or at least semi-canon, that they are the same age, I wanted her to seem a bit more like a gold-digger. Or, at least like she likes having her doting and naive older husband wrapped around her finger while she does whatever she wants.

But I digress. Most of my adults will eventually be aged up to Elder when their kids start families of their own.

The one exception is that I started a few households for Cottage Living where the eventual goal is to have them be elders in the same timeline as my other sims, but I wanted them to raise their kids rather than just creating the children in CAS. So I'm playing those households* sort of on a separate timeline, mostly just interacting with each other. I've set that aside for a while, but the goal is to have them play through a couple of generations, starting as young adults, and then reintegrate them into my main timeline. It's basically a save within a save.

*Most of them are within my Crumplebottom-Goth family tree. I created a bunch of Crumplebottom siblings, and then added Cornelia (Crumplebottom) Goth to Mortimer and Bella's household, and set her as Mortimer's mom. (She's already an elder, so that she can fit into that household's timeline.) Cornelia also has a brother and sister (Rupert and Amelia). I wanted to make Agnes their sister as well, but I've never been able to figure out a way to add her or cousin Agatha to the family without affecting her NPC status or messing up the stall. Anyway, Rupert and his wife Winifred are currently newly married YAs, and they are going to raise twin daughters (Pandora and Primrose), who will eventually both get married and each have one child of their own. Sadly, a tragic cowshed fire will eventually take the lives of all adults (parents and grandparents) in Rupert's branch of the family, leaving young Tom and Daisy (Rupert and Winifred's grandchildren) to be raised by their dear old great-aunt Amelia. (Amelia is currently living her best life as a single adult and headmistress of Copperdale Prep (a snooty residential facility for wealthy fail sons and fail daughters).
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    I play with aging off and so far I’ve never aged up a sim past young adult.
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    When i am ready to
    Probably if I'm on the fourth generation so I won't have great grandma as an adult.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited March 2023
    When i am ready to
    Honestly I feel like it takes me forever to age my sims especially from young adult

probably because I play so many households and I am just trying to get all my families started 😂
    or maybe because they are more likely to become vampires
    I'm also trying to match older premades on same timeline so I can't get all into aging one household to the end 😅

I am however getting close to aging Mortimer elder which I am quite excited about
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member
    I play on normal lifespan and use MCCC to make it shorter and never age up early or pause aging. After all, it’s not like you can age up early or pause aging irl lol
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Well, I use custom lengths for each life stage using MCCC, and I allow each elder up to 2 potions of youth, to use when they get their first about to die warning, if they have the aspiration points to afford them. But it's consistent within my save so this answer is closer than whenever I'm ready.
  • Options
    Perti23Perti23 Posts: 61 Member
    Never :|
    I play with aging off.
  • Options
    LarrikatevenLarrikateven Posts: 99 Member
    I play with aging on and a normal lifespan. Teenagers usually get one or two potions of youth so that by the time they are young adults and ready to start families of their own, their parents are ready to kick the bucket. (This is to keep the size of the family down; after about four or five Sims, I have a really hard time taking care of all of them!) But I do let the adults live out their natural lives, with birthday cakes being restricted to the day that they would age-up anyway.
  • Options
    DarkLady2788DarkLady2788 Posts: 345 Member
    When i am ready to
    I play mine like James Turner’s super sim lol! So my sims children age up not my main sims 😂
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    When i am ready to
    My sims don't age up past the adult stage. I do have elder parents in game so my sim family can experience the joys of grandparent/great-grandparent relationships but as I play with aging off the elders will never die.

And now Growing Together is bringing more fun to be had with the grandparents.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    When i am ready to
    I alternate between long lifespan and aging off. So if I feel like I'm not ready yet to let a sim age up then I'll just turn aging off or make them an occult. If they have family, I especially avoid using tactics which would then make their age "unrealistically inconsistent" to others. E.g. using the youth potions so somehow the dad is still a YA while his kids are Elders. Unless the dad is an occult, that just really messes with my immersion.
    Exceptions might happen (though haven't yet) but I suspect even then I'd like to come up with some sort of more immersive and challenging reasons for why a normal sim is aging so slow. E.g. perhaps if they have achieved the "long living" trait which only makes them live longer as an elder but I could then decide to make the another stage longer instead.
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,642 Member
    When i am ready to
    I play with aging off and I age my characters up when it feels appropriate to my story.

Being a "mature" person myself, I do tend to let characters stay Adult for a while. :) I just pop into CAS to add grey hair and wrinkles to my more mature adult characters. Elder is pretty solidly reserved for the older grandparent and great-grandparent generations.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I only age sims when it's their birthday on the calendar.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    When i am ready to
    Which is never, ever.
    I actually give some of my adult sims the aging facial feature creases to look elder. And with the upcoming age spots I will be able to make them even more older. ;)
    I don't care for the actual elders given their own backs wipelash & chewing on their own gums. :/
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    When i am ready to
    I'm attached to all of my favorite characters so I don't usually age them out of existence. I get enough of that in real life.
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I play a legacy challenge for my main save. In that one I'm on normal lifespan, and for better or for worse my sims will age when they will age, and they'll die when they die, whether I've completed my goals for their generation or not.

In my side saves where I just play around I don't have aging turned on at all. Everyone stays the same age and I don't really raise children in those saves.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    When i am ready to
    I have spent quite awhile pondering how to play with the aging since really getting into live mode gameplay, and I think I've finally come to a solution. I think that I will let the aging naturally progress until the day before a sim in my household is going to age up (to any lifestage). If that sim has done everything I want them to do before age up, great you may proceed. Otherwise I will turn aging off for that save until they are ready, then turn it back on. I want my sims and all the townies to age together, so that's why I would turn aging off and on for the whole save.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    When i am ready to
    I play with aging off so they don't age without my permission. B) I don't like aging them up to Elder because of the way they constantly grab at their backs and slump around. If I wanted to play a sim with back trouble that would be fine, but I want my Elders to be a bit less decrepit. This is my fantasy game, after all.
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    When i am ready to
    I play with aging off. Only enabling aging for current household when I'm ready to let my elder sims go. Or when I need to fill up the aging bar to set aging difference among the children. My "active generations" are from grandparents to grandchildren. Been like that since I noticed the game doesn't recognize that. I already play pretend for second cousins etc. The relationship panel doesn't state they are relatives. Still hoping for a functional family tree.