Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Going back to vanilla?

Comments

• Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited February 2023
    I've only ever used two mods, one that nukes the sunray effect from eco-living and one that removes the mosaic blur. Now, Sims 2 is another story... but that one stopped being supported/updated long ago.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I love playing with mods and some of my cc is actually made by a friend of mine specified to the Cole family I restarted in November 2022
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I could never play without autonomy fixes and tweaks.
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Used MCCC for a while but got tired of having to update it and have pretty much figured out how to accomplish the same things with the current game mechanics and cheats or just become less bothered by the short comings. Only CAS CC I use is some single piece swimsuits for my female sims because I think the in game ones look like old granny suits.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    DarkLady2788DarkLady2788 Posts: 345 Member
    I have always been vanilla with the sims 3 and 4 I enjoy the game without mod or cc. I’m happy without any mods as all the do is take up space on my computer and need updates and knowing my luck I would forget to do it 😂
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I had played vanilla sims for a very long time before more content for Maxis Match came out (U compared to earlier days. Don't use overly complicated mods that always break or unsupported ones. With my main ones like UI or MC command the creators are always quick in updating it within the same day and I can play without it in the event it is broken in a modded game. Or when there were updates that I wouldn't update the game because of a bug of sorts I'd just play vanilla in my vanilla save and I still enjoyed it.

Had played vanilla at 2014 to 2016 well enough and that was with having waaaay less stuff for base game.

Always good to have a vanilla save to go to in the event mods get broken.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    WispyeWispye Posts: 141 Member
    i always play Vanilla
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    honestly, it isn't anything to regret no game really needs mods and cc it only needs to exist in a playable state, with player's it can feel like a need but generally with something that is just for fun if the game itself is no good messing with mods just becomes a pain. For me I can use a lot, or a little just to see if it is worth the hassle of maintaining them but as some people will move lots or get new families to freshen things I'll purge all of them every once in the while and only use what is normally available because if I ever feel I can't have it both ways it is time for a break. I would say set them aside in another folder out of your game so you can quickly drag them back if you decide you really really want them.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    I could probably live without CC at this point with everything that's been added, but I do have a fair amount and I would miss some of it. However, CC is not what tends to be the problem with updates. I've got a number of mods that address things from mild annoyances (for instance, the option to take quick showers/baths) up to game functions that I simply do not want to deal with (relationship decay). I've learned over the years which mods are reliably updated and there's always lists that centralize information from creators so it's not necessary to research every single mod I have every time there's a patch, and it's not usually that big a deal to update them when necessary. I'm willing to take the inconvenience of doing that over being enraged by some game mechanic or bug (STOP PREPARING FOOD IN THE BATHROOM FOR GOD'S SAKE).

tl;dr - No, I would not go back to vanilla only.
  • Options
    simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    I also play vanilla and only use testingcheats on, aspiration cheat and motherlode. I prefer my sim to look like sims and not full of CC but that's just my own personal preference.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I just have so much now that I’m just annoyed by everything and having to update everything. So I’m just wondering if I should start fresh and only add a few mods in. I love cc but I’m getting tired of it either being broken or seeing npcs wearing random stuff. There are only a few that come to mind for mods that I want to keep. I’m a little sad with deleting cc so that’s why I’m wondering if I’d regret it but at the same time it’s a pain. So I don’t know what to do?

Here's what you do. Don't delete the cc. Keep it in another file out of your game, marked mods. Play a vanilla game and see how it goes. If you find yourself missing thus or so cc, you can retrieve it from the other file, instead of having to do a search for it. You can most likely keep that second Mods folder just under Electronic Arts in your documents. That's where I move my Mods folder when we have to Patch.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    the biggest patch that break mcc and other big mods is on the 14th.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited March 2023
    I have never played sims 4 with mods or CC, I have always had a vanilla game in this iteration. The main annoying bug I have had is the plant one ( plants turning to dirt ). I just save a lot now, so if my plants do turn to dirt I can get out and restart the save. It doesn’t seem to take them much time to grow back anyway, and it usually happens when I have a great deal of plants in a save.

I play rotational saves so the variety keeps me happy most of the time.

I have started using cheat codes lately for lifestyles and move objects. My sims tend to get a lifestyle that causes them undue stress.
  • Options
    MrPlumbobMrPlumbob Posts: 331 Member
    I've played sims 4 with cc and mods for about a year, but I've recently started a new save with no mods or cc in preparation for the infant update (since quite a few mods will likely break when the update arrives.) I renamed my sims 4 folder in documents and let the game create a new one, that way I can just rename the new folder and then the old folder when I want to play with mods again.

I used a ton of mods and cc, but I mostly miss MC Command Center's game time speed setting. I'm used to playing with that set at half speed, and it's going to take a while to get used to playing at normal speed again. Seems like my sims hardly have time for anything other than work or school now haha.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I went Back to Play without CC a few years ago and never really regretted it. I never managed to play without mods, though.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
    Since when I found out that you can disable your packs, I've played my game completely vanilla! No mods or custom content AT ALL! Not even expansions installed! Sometimes I like the "classic" gameplay!
    I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
  • Options
    Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    I just started a new vanilla save because some mods and cc will most likely be broken when we update and I wanted a save that I could play. I like my cc and miss them! I hope that the modders are able to fix their mods in a timely manner. I do not envy them.
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I'm not sure I could go back to vanilla now. I can't imagine playing without MCC and UI Cheats. I also have a small amount of CC which I love. I guess if I had to go back to Vanilla I would, but not voluntarily.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited March 2023
    I'm playing a moderately modded game, with MCCC, UI Cheats, and a handful of other mods that add some new traits or control things like Sims' obsession with their phones. My daughter likes to use some CC hair and clothing, so we have a decent amount of Maxis Match CC in our game. The creators of the mods we use are fantastic about updating them promptly after a patch, so the biggest annoyance we've experienced is the sight of bald, partially-clothed Sims strolling around town. We've found ways to get around the worst of those problems, though.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Every time there's a new expansion pack I start a Vanilla save while mod makers update their mods. I started doing this after Eco Lifestyle's bugs pretty much demolished my three main saves(back then).
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited March 2023
    My three major mods are Spinning Plumbob’s Expanded Mermaids 2.0, Spinning Plumbob’s Sea-nery pack, and MCCC.

Edit: I do use the tails from Spinning Plumbob’s Atlantica Set but it’s more about nostalgia. I really loved the Vanilla tails and honestly wouldn’t mind even more to choose from. It’s not the most vital CC, but you know, it’s nostalgia and Disney’s the Little Mermaid had a kind of merfolk that really established one of the more popular merfolk appearances.
    I actually wasn’t a fan of Ariel, and I still can’t believe she left her amazing underwater world behind. It wasn’t Ariel that I loved but how they captured Atlantica and her underwater home.

Any other CC I use is just to give me more colors of items that I can access with the Debug Cheats. Or a style that I felt better fit the island vibe like children’s toys and an activity table.

For about 5 years I played Vanilla and was happy with a lot of the gameplay… but merfolk got the short end of the trident when it came to occults…

When they didn’t announce any plans to continue refreshing old packs like they did with Spa Day during the summit…

I’m putting the rest in the spoiler because I have a very long experience with this topic.

Short answer: I switched to PC specifically to use Mods, but it’s not simply because I felt that vanilla was that bad…
    To answer your question, I think vanilla gameplay can be extremely enjoyable after getting enough packs, but there are things the game is completely missing, like content you would think should be there but isn’t… and eventually, I made the choice to change game platforms, and I haven’t regretted that decision. As hard as it was, I know for sure I made the right choice for me.

So, here’s what I recommend, play the vanilla game without mods for an extended period of time, if you feel like there’s something that should be there but isn’t there and it turns out that mods filled that void, you will have your answer.

I do get where you are coming from… whenever big updates dropped, I never had the same problems playing vanilla… That’s a huge advantage of playing the sims on the console… Not only do I feel like the console build mode is better, but I never had to worry about the same level of bugs others experienced. The only game braking update I ever experienced was the Eco Living update… that was the only update out of all the updates I’ve seen people have trouble and actually broke the vanilla game. The Sims 4 vanilla game is actually fairly robust now that I think about it.

It’s just that I always come back to the same problem with vanilla gameplay and merfolk… I absolutely think something vital to the mermadic experience is missing and mods have solved that problem. There are still things I would like to see with merfolk even with mods, but I know that the mods I use filled the void in my gameplay.

After all this time, I can kinda see why people would switch from Vanilla to a Modded Game and understand why people would go back to vanilla when their mods break. Both situations come from the same place. You are either upset because you feel like something is missing or you are upset because something that filled a void isn’t there.
  • Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    edited March 2023
    I only use two mods so my game is basically vanilla

One mod replaces TS4 musics with TS1 and TS2 musics for CAS, BB and neighborhood screens so it's purely for nostalgia purposes.

Second mod is MissyHissy Hopes & Fear mod, it (greatly) overhauls the existing system with Wants better suited to the situation and also adds a set of new ones that come with custom traits to mimic TS2 aspirations.
    Since I love completing the Wants of my Sim this mod basically became an essential in my gameplay and the Wants in vanilla TS4 are... Not as good.

Aside from that the game becomes really REALLY enjoyable once you get a few essentials packs imo but purely base game? Huh.

Now I just wish for a mod that replaces the "Want completed" TS4 sound effect with the TS2 "Want completed" sound effect lol
  • Options
    jus1nickiejus1nickie Posts: 360 Member
    I never play completely vanilla because I have to keep at least 10 to 15 mods I think make the game better but I do take out Cas and build/buy CC sometimes when I just want to play vanilla but with just script/gameplay mods.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I've gotten so used to playing with mods/cc. But when infant update comes out, I plan to play vanilla. I started a new save....100 baby challenge, where I don't really feel I need mods to play that challenge. It'll be fun to play vanilla for a bit while I wait for mods to be updated.
  • Options
    SimtokuSimtoku Posts: 19 New Member
    First I played only with official sims 4 content until my friend showed and told me about mods people had done. Got curious and tried some of those on my own and then I played almost year non-stop with only mods and custom CC I also found. I would still propably use some mods but my computer didn't have enough memory for other programs I needed to instal for school and work purposes so I went back to vanilla. Really enjoyed playing with mods and cc but I wasn't really eager to deal with updating mods after official sims 4 updates which is the second reason I'm currently playing still vanilla even tho memory isn't the issue anymore.

Either way, I love vanilla and modded version of sims 4!