Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Totally Random Comments and Questions

Comments

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,853 Member
    It is beyond frustrating that lots are 2x2 smaller than the size the game says they are. 30x20 lots are only 28x18, 40x30 is only 38x28. Why in the world would you build it into the code that the buildable surface area of the lot is two tiles short on both axis? Two tiles a side are unusable for walls and fences. Argh! I'm trying to build a hotel lookalike lot where the Stargazer Lounge used to be. I wanted it to be a luxury hotel and I wanted the rooms to be large, 10 tiles across, three rooms a side, but I only have 28 usable tiles not 30. The obvious workaround is to lay them out 9-10-9 or 10-8-10, but why should we have to do this. Why can't we build on every single tile on all lots? This is something that I hope is not repeated in Rene.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    @DaniRose2143 I hear you. I'm always having to rework a build realizing I can only build a fence on the line between the property line and the second tile in. Gr. I will likely not be moving on to Rene. I will stick with Sims4 for now, to enjoy all that's new coming up and more. But for your sake and the sake of others, I do hope that silly restriction is lifted.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    @GalacticGal I'm still on the fence about Rene. I am leaning ever so slightly towards it, but that could easily go back the other way over the next few years until the release. My one big non-starter seems to be off the table for now, forced multiplayer. But, TS4 was supposed to be multiplayer and that got nerfed at the last minute, so forced multiplayer could still rise from the grave at the last minute and make Rene a no go for me. For now I'm having a ball with the cast of my two stories and I'm just going to enjoy spending time with the sims I love like a little digital family.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    It is beyond frustrating that lots are 2x2 smaller than the size the game says they are. 30x20 lots are only 28x18, 40x30 is only 38x28. Why in the world would you build it into the code that the buildable surface area of the lot is two tiles short on both axis? Two tiles a side are unusable for walls and fences. Argh! I'm trying to build a hotel lookalike lot where the Stargazer Lounge used to be. I wanted it to be a luxury hotel and I wanted the rooms to be large, 10 tiles across, three rooms a side, but I only have 28 usable tiles not 30. The obvious workaround is to lay them out 9-10-9 or 10-8-10, but why should we have to do this. Why can't we build on every single tile on all lots? This is something that I hope is not repeated in Rene.

I don't worry too much about the walls not being able to stretch the entire lot size but I do wish the fences would be placeable along the property boundary. Fences are meant to be boundary indicators afterall.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    @sweetieWright_84 Exactly. Why would you code it like that and then leave it. I'm not a programmer or developer but it seems fairly easy to give us those tiles on the boundaries for something other than vegetation. That goes back to the huge footprint every object gets. A fence or a wall is really thin but the footprint takes up the entire tile. So why not make the footprint the same dimensions as the object it's attached too? Or allow some leeway for the portion of the footprint outside of the actual objects edge to extend over the boundary? Why does every object, no matter how thin or small, have a footprint that occupies a full tile?
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2023
    Monet11 wrote: »

Looking at houses in the gallery, it became clear to me that a large number of builders have no idea what the phrase " starter house" means.

I sometimes make Family Starters that are more than 20k, but I state that you need more than 1 sim in the description.

You get 20K for the first sim + 2K for every additional sim (and I think 500 per pet?) so a 24K 2-bedroom house would require 3 sims made in CAS, for example.
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Simlington wrote: »
    Is there an advantage to cooking the more expensive higher level recipes?

They are more satisfying and keep you fuller for longer (via better moodlets which slow hunger decay).
  • Options
    SimlingtonSimlington Posts: 26 Member
    > @EmmaVane said:
    > They are more satisfying and keep you fuller for longer (via better moodlets which slow hunger decay).

Ah, thanks. I was hoping it would leave them fuller for longer. I thought the moodlets only boosted happiness.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023
    I don’t think I will be able to not play Rene. I believe the hype on the forums and social media and the trailers will most likely have me preorder it and I doubt I will be able to hold out for 30 minutes....

But I’m in no rush either, I really like Sims 4. If they just wanted to permanently update this one I’d just keep playing it. Be nice if the next base game had some more solid foundations than this one does, but honestly I’m just used to my sims being a bit stupid and not being able to sit still for a minute 😬. It’s endearing at this point.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Simlington wrote: »
    EmmaVane wrote:
    They are more satisfying and keep you fuller for longer (via better moodlets which slow hunger decay).

Ah, thanks. I was hoping it would leave them fuller for longer. I thought the moodlets only boosted happiness.

There's a good list of moodlets here.

You can search for moodlet names with Find in Page (Ctrl + F) to see what unlisted effects they have. Hunger related ones are actually top of the list if you want to browse them.
  • Options
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    I don’t think I will be able to not play Rene. I believe the hype on the forums and social media and the trailers will most likely have me preorder it and I doubt I will be able to hold out for 30 minutes....

But I’m in no rush either, I really like Sims 4. If they just wanted to permanently update this one I’d just keep playing it. Be nice if the next base game had some more solid foundations than this one does, but honestly I’m just used to my sims being a bit stupid and not being able to sit still for a minute 😬. It’s endearing at this point.

I began with Sims2, went on to Sims3 under the guise the AI was way more advanced and so our Sims wouldn't be stupid. Sadly, they still were. But in the grand scope of things, if this is a true life simulation, then the Devs have it correct. Despite all of our societies' advanced technology, people, themselves, and I mean no disrespect, are rather stupid in their behavior. Now, I don't mean individuals are stupid, but on the whole mankind. Who sticks their hand into a fire before they realize it's hot? Who puts a wet cat into the microwave oven to dry it? (Begs the question, would you put a live, wet cat into a conventional oven to dry it?) Some might, you would be surprised.

But I do agree, over time the Sims' silliness is endearing. Now, if they would just remain in their seats at a restaurant to eat! I know, not a chance. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    sweetieWright_84 Exactly. Why would you code it like that and then leave it. I'm not a programmer or developer but it seems fairly easy to give us those tiles on the boundaries for something other than vegetation. That goes back to the huge footprint every object gets. A fence or a wall is really thin but the footprint takes up the entire tile. So why not make the footprint the same dimensions as the object it's attached too? Or allow some leeway for the portion of the footprint outside of the actual objects edge to extend over the boundary? Why does every object, no matter how thin or small, have a footprint that occupies a full tile?

I'm pretty sure in both TS2 and TS3 we could take the fence (and possibly the walls in TS2) all the way to the lot's edge. I haven't played either of those in a bit, so someone will need to correct me.

As for the object footprints. I agree 100%. I mean, I get objects like the blocks table from Parenthood would need more space around it for multiple sims to build, but why does the basegame toothbrush holder need a whole tile? Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the toothbrush holder may just be quarter tile so ignore that example.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    sweetieWright_84 Exactly. Why would you code it like that and then leave it. I'm not a programmer or developer but it seems fairly easy to give us those tiles on the boundaries for something other than vegetation. That goes back to the huge footprint every object gets. A fence or a wall is really thin but the footprint takes up the entire tile. So why not make the footprint the same dimensions as the object it's attached too? Or allow some leeway for the portion of the footprint outside of the actual objects edge to extend over the boundary? Why does every object, no matter how thin or small, have a footprint that occupies a full tile?

I'm pretty sure in both TS2 and TS3 we could take the fence (and possibly the walls in TS2) all the way to the lot's edge. I haven't played either of those in a bit, so someone will need to correct me.

As for the object footprints. I agree 100%. I mean, I get objects like the blocks table from Parenthood would need more space around it for multiple sims to build, but why does the basegame toothbrush holder need a whole tile? Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the toothbrush holder may just be quarter tile so ignore that example.

In TS2 you can build fences along the property line, but walls stop 1 tile in.

There is a 3rd party utility (LotAdjuster) that allows you to cut down lot sizes to where walls start, but they have to be perpendicular to the edge of the lot. This allows you to make pseudo-rowhouses if you place reduced size lots next to each other.
  • Options
    ZoomerGirlZoomerGirl Posts: 135 Member
    I wish we could lock the doors per age group
  • Options
    astonopastonop Posts: 2 New Member
    > @EmmaVane said:
    > In TS2 you can build fences along the property line, but walls stop 1 tile in.
    >
    > There is a 3rd party utility (LotAdjuster) that allows you to cut down lot sizes to where walls start, but they have to be perpendicular to the edge of the lot. This allows you to make pseudo-rowhouses if you place reduced size lots next to each other.

Had a little look at the list of features and saw this, which I thought was interesting:

- Enlarge a lot over the road; allow building on both sides of the road.

Considering quite a lot of real life house examples I look at have private/shared allotments across the road from the site of the house, this seems like a really neat feature!
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    In TS2 you can build fences along the property line, but walls stop 1 tile in.

There is a 3rd party utility (LotAdjuster) that allows you to cut down lot sizes to where walls start, but they have to be perpendicular to the edge of the lot. This allows you to make pseudo-rowhouses if you place reduced size lots next to each other.

The Lot Adjuster, is that for TS2 or 4? I think I remember seeing something like for TS2 a while back.
  • Options
    Princess of Da'varhPrincess of Da'varh Posts: 344 Member
    What do you think is the best starter career for a Sim, where, she can also grow and reach no heights and social skill? I'm not sure which to choose for my Simself. ^^
  • Options
    Identity wrote: »
    What do you think is the best starter career for a Sim, where, she can also grow and reach no heights and social skill? I'm not sure which to choose for my Simself. ^^

I'm uncertain I understand your question. What do you mean by also grow and reach no heights?
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member

Here is a good guide regarding careers. Maybe this can help answer your question.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/careers/
  • Options
    > @GalacticGal said:
    > I'm uncertain I understand your question. What do you mean by also grow and reach no heights?

Sorry I meant grow and reach new heights, like be successful and expand. :)

> @Monet11 said:
    > Here is a good guide regarding careers. Maybe this can help answer your question.
    >
    > https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/careers/

Thank you so much! I'll have a look. This will be a big help.
  • Options
    When buying from the EA store, so packs for the games, it won't complete the checkout saying it can't purchase using my card. I tried a different one and it says the exact same thing and has done for ages. Is this a bug? It's a long lasting issue and it's still like it every time I try to buy a new pack.
  • Options
    When buying from the EA store, so packs for the games, it won't complete the checkout saying it can't purchase using my card. I tried a different one and it says the exact same thing and has done for ages. Is this a bug? It's a long lasting issue and it's still like it every time I try to buy a new pack.

Have you gone into your account payment to see what's wrong with the card(s) you have saved as the method of payment? Could be one digit off, or maybe you failed to fill in that three-digit code on the back of the card? If all else fails, contact EA.
  • Options
    > @GalacticGal said:
    > Have you gone into your account payment to see what's wrong with the card(s) you have saved as the method of payment? Could be one digit off, or maybe you failed to fill in that three-digit code on the back of the card? If all else fails, contact EA.

Thank you, I'll have a look and see if I can work out what's gone wrong. I struggle so much with stuff like this.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    i believe skills transfer over into the gallery, but of course friendships don’t, I’m not sure about jobs And levels, but I think they might. It doesn’t take long to build relationships. And it’s easy to cheat money, and give them the size house land funds they had before.

Hi @SheriSim57

You are right, the skills do transfer and I believe the job levels do too. Thank you for the advice. I'm kind of upset that they don't recognize their accomplishments, like their diploma. :( I wish Sims could order their diploma from the computer, just in case we delete it or need to save the household to the library (like I'm doing).

@Goodywood …. I bet you could pick up a diploma either in hidden objects, or in the gallery, ( in the gallery try typing in graduation diploma or something similar ). There are so many things you can find in the gallery. I have found sims with plumbing and fishing outfits that I temporarily download into the house to put the outfits on one of my household members, then delete the sim I downloaded for the outfits. You could probably even upload your sims diploma to the gallery in a small room yourself and then download it to the place you want your sim to live.
  • Options
    > @GalacticGal said:
    > Have you gone into your account payment to see what's wrong with the card(s) you have saved as the method of payment? Could be one digit off, or maybe you failed to fill in that three-digit code on the back of the card? If all else fails, contact EA.

Thank you, I'll have a look and see if I can work out what's gone wrong. I struggle so much with stuff like this.

You are not alone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top