Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any warnings? Haven't played in months...

There just hasn't been any new content that has interested me in several months (basically since Werewolves), so I've fallen out of the habit of playing, but I'm feeling nostalgic today, so thought I might revisit the game. Are there any potentially gamebreaking bugs running rampant right now that I should be on guard against?

Comments

• Options
    s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    So. Patch 1.92-1.93 introduced a few annoying (very) bugs. You did not say if you play on Console or PC, but if you're on Console, I would stay away until they fix it, as they ARE "game breaking" bugs.

1. The Mean Bug-
    * This bug, makes all your Sims autonomously do the mean interactions to each other. It doesn't matter if you have Free Will on or not.
    I played my Vanilla family for 2 Sim days immediately after this update. They were 99% friends and 60% Romantic partners when I
    started my 2 days. After 2 days, they were -20 romance and -10 friends. After TWO DAYS. I have read other Simmers reports, That this
    bug makes their game unplayable." and I would have to say, I completely agree with them. My Sims, when having a conversation
    together, would choose the mean interactions (argue, insult, yell at, etc) 3 times in a row. It would sometimes override interactions I had
    chosen, and I was unable to counter them with enough "nice" interactions to balance it out. As you see in my end relationship results, it
    completely destroyed their relationship. I tested this with and without Mods, with the same result.

** There is some hope. Modder BossLadyTV has a Mean Bug mod, to temporarily address the problem. You can find it on CurseForge.

2. Need Bar Color Bug
    * This bug is nothing if not annoying. When playing with your Sims, you know they have need bars, and its typically by the color that we
    realize they need something. Well. The need bars are going down, but then staying the color they went down to. So, my Hunger for
    instance, instead of slowly decaying throughout the day, it goes down to yellow, and then the whole bar will remain yellow. Other
    Simmers have reported, "Their Sim's needs bar, not showing the correct color of their Sim, and that Sim dying or having an accident."
    This has not been my experience, and I have been managing their bars with MCC for this reason. I have tested this with and without
    Mods.

3. High School Student School Performance Not Increasing
    * This might be tailored specifically to the new expansion pack, High School Years that just came out. I am not completely sure. I just bought this pack tho, (on Black Friday) and noticed that my Teen Sims, no longer gain any performance increases at school. It doesn't matter how much homework they do, how many notes they take, how many classes they attend, or how many exams they take. It remains the same. I have been cheating it with MCC. I have tested this, without and without Mods.

4. Aging Bug
    ---I did not personally experience this in my gameplay, and the claim was made that patch 1.93 fixed it, but I have seen reports from
    other Simmers, that it is still a problem.
    * Basically, you leave your lot, your Sim ages up. And you cannot stop it. Reports initially said it was only when playing with Aging
    on. I play with aging off, so this might be why I never experienced it. I am not sure. Its a risk to take tho, if you play with aging on.
    Initial reports from other Simmers were, "I left my lot, as an adult, aged into an elder, and the next time my Sim died." I've also seen,
    "My Sim had a birthday as a child, left their lot for school, and immediately aged into a teen." -The "fix" was to play with aging off
    until a fix could be established, then again, it also could have been fixed with patch 1.93, I did not experience this in my own
    personal gameplay, and cannot really give you more on it personally.

That's all I know of for now. Some are very concerning, but the Mod Community has come thru until EA can for most of them. If its really a deal breaker for you, you can always play in Offline mode. I sometimes do this for months personally. I was on patch 1.89 prior to Black Friday when I bought the HSY expansion. XD

Happy Simming!~
  • Options
    AalyahReedAalyahReed Posts: 209 Member
    edited December 2022
    @Amapola76 This was basically the question I was going to ask today in my own thread, but I found yours first. So I hope it's okay for me to pop in here, too, with some follow-up questions. @s_stutler It sounds like you are confirming some of the most serious bugs I've read about are persisting. As to the "mean bug" I thought that the problem was supposed to be fixed through the SDX this week. Have you downloaded the SDX already & found that it didn't fix the issue, or have you not downloaded the SDX yet?
    I also took a few months off of playing The Sims 4 while going through a move. I've been playing catch-up on the current state of the game, reading the official Sims 4 Forum as well as Reddit. I was one of the lucky few who did not update right away when that disastrous HSY patch came out. In fact, I'm on the a patch before the pre-Werewolves patch was released, and I'm not sure if I should update yet, or wait...
    Based on EA patch notes & forum posts I've read, and based on what you just shared here, it appears: 1) The terrible aging bug has been fixed for some players, but not others 2) Aging up with a birthday cake is fixed for children - adults, but not toddlers, for some reason 3) Expansion pack toggles for Get Famous & Cottage Living, etc. are now broken 4) You still cannot turn Wants & Fears off, and even if your Sim is doing well in their career, they constantly get sad moodlets for a "dead end job" and other things that don't make sense 5) I'm unsure if the so-called "Groundhog Day" bug is fixed.
    I became a mod user out of necessity, to fix all the problems that never get fixed. I've been playing The Sims franchise since the beginning, in 2000. In all 3 previous games, I've used some CC, but never had to use so many mods to fix issues until now. I was in the process of building a custom save file, so I only have a few mods in right now needed for setup & some limited CC. I was hoping that in the few months I stepped away, things would be fixed, but it seems it is just as bad as it was then, if not worse.
    If anyone reading this is patched to the most current patch / SDX, could you please tell me how your game is working, and does it have any of the problems listed above, or any other big problems? And could you play in an existing save, or did you have to start a new one? I wanted Werewolves, but am not interested in HSY, but it seems to be applying the pre-HSY patch, even without purchasing the expansion pack, will cause mass chaos, like all my sims being obsessed with their phones.
    Any feedback you have on the current state of the game would be very much appreciated! Thank you!
    And if I need to start my own thread, just let me know. I rechecked the rules for posting & it said to search first for your question, so that's why I came here first to post.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    It's nice to know that need bar color bug is being experienced by other players.
    I created my own trait and career mods. I was wondering if they were the reason.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited December 2022
    Here is the current list of open issues
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/m-p/3445209#M223825

Here are the "top 10" from that list.

Autonomous Insulting (Patch 1.92.145)
    Washer/Dryer: Can't wash/dry clothes
    Jumpy Animations/Sims teleport
    Plants reverting to dirt pile (Patch 1.76.81)
    Sims autonomously do mean interactions for no reason
    Toddlers all look the same
    Wants/Fears toggle stops working after travelling
    Sims washing hands in sink in different bathroom
    Routing/Sit down issue on several interactions
    Scientist: Plants at science lab don't produce harvestables

Note that autonomous mean actions are listed twice, and both those threads were closed after last week's SDX patch which fixed it for many people. For those still experiencing the bug after last week's SDX (26 simmers so far), a new bug thread is here, and the team is asking for saves from affected simmers.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Autonomous-Insulting-After-SDX/m-p/12101836

The need bar color bug is caused by the Slice of Life mod for most people.
    So far 14 simmers have been affected by this bug without mods, and the team is looking for saves, so if @CK213 @s_stutler or others have this bug in an unmodded game, please consider sending in your saves so the team can work on a fix
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Needs-bar-doesn-t-change-color-Unmodded-Games/td-p/11705210

• Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Yeah, the sameface toddler bug is the one that has been bothering me the most, personally. They've finally said they're gonna try to fix that by January, though. Which is pretty late, as it has been an issue since Werewolves, but at least they're finally doing something about it.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    s_stutler wrote: »
    * This might be tailored specifically to the new expansion pack, High School Years that just came out. I am not completely sure. I just bought this pack tho, (on Black Friday) and noticed that my Teen Sims, no longer gain any performance increases at school. It doesn't matter how much homework they do, how many notes they take, how many classes they attend, or how many exams they take. It remains the same. I have been cheating it with MCC. I have tested this, without and without Mods.

The performance doesn’t increase or you don’t from B to an A? I know there is a bug where you can’t get the next grade playing HSY and need to send the child to school in the normal way for them to get the next grade. Think that affects a lot of people.

Haven’t heard anything about the performance bar not changing at all though. Might be a rare bug, or something related to a mod.
  • Options
    @Magdaleena I forgot that I read about the same face toddler bug! It would drive me nuts to update & then get that, as I play families. It's almost like another version of the "first born syndrome" in The Sims 2.
    It's disconcerting to see that there are already 26 players still experiencing the rude Sims bug, despite the SDX that was supposed to fix it.
    It's really alarming that they still haven't fixed the gardening/plant bug by now, given almost everyone has it. I know a modder created a fix for it, so EAxis should be able to provide us with an official fix by now.
    The sink issue seems to persist, and I forgot I had seen the washer/dryer one mentioned a few times.
    I would really like to get official fixes so that I can decrease my ever-growing mods folder to fix the bugs. I'm getting the feeling that it's never going to happen, after 22 yes of being invested in this franchise. They fix mostly CAS issues, like a Swatch or hair colour, because it's easy, and we're lucky if we get a single bug fix that doesn't cause several other things to break, too. It's hard when their are new packs & game features that I want that come with a patch or SDX, when the flip side is updating may cause me new, potentially worse issues than ever before.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    @AalyahReed the more the merrier!

Thanks, all, for the insight. I only ended up playing a little while. I didn't encounter any of the bugs or issues others have mentioned, so that was a relief, but the lag has become just unreal. It was taking me 20-30 minutes to load a small household (1-3 sims on a small, minimal-clutter lot), which is approaching TS3 territory, but without all the added features TS3 had.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    @AalyahReed the more the merrier!

Thanks, all, for the insight. I only ended up playing a little while. I didn't encounter any of the bugs or issues others have mentioned, so that was a relief, but the lag has become just unreal. It was taking me 20-30 minutes to load a small household (1-3 sims on a small, minimal-clutter lot), which is approaching TS3 territory, but without all the added features TS3 had.

Hm... My game is packed with cc, I own most of the larger packs, and I still play the 2014 save with 500? sims played. My computer is 6? years old, and was low-end even back then. I don't see much lag when entering lots, except from the real big lots like my royal palace. The smaller lots are still quite fast to load.

So, maybe you should see if you need to free up some space on your drive? Or, deleting some old saves and old posts in your local gallery? Maybe you have outdated mods that slow down things? Travel a bit, if other lots load faster there might be a problem with cc item on that specific residential lot? I'm pretty sure you can help on the situation rather easily. I recall just removing my screenshot folder helped a lot ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    @AalyahReed - I did not add the SDX fix. I'm actually not sure what that even is. XD My game is updated with the most recent patch (1.93), and I am still using Origin (due to many reports of problems with the new loader) - and Origin is not telling me I need to add anything?

I am confused what this SDX is or where to get it.

@mightysprite - I do not play with the Slice of Life mod. I do not like some of the aspects of that Mod. I know others deem it "essential" to their gameplay. I do not. I am still experiencing the problem with my need bars.

@JustinB113 - Their school performance isn't increasing. Not the performance bar, no, going from B to A.. yes that. I am having to cheat their grades as of now with Mods. XD

• Options
    @s_stutler SDX has to be enabled in your game options / settings. You can turn it on to download whenever there is a new one, or you can turn it off and choose when to add its content & features. It is a way EAxis can occasionally add bonus content to your game, like new recipes, or CAS items, but they also have been sneaking in little bug fixes with the SDX - sometimes they work, sometimes they make things worse. That is why I have turned SDX off of automatic updates for now - not because of the free content, but because their "fix" sometimes destroys the game. Also, a few months ago, the SDX update changed the entire Goth family, to be replaced in every new save.

The most recent SDX was supposed to have a fix for the "mean Sim" interaction bug, where every Sim is mean to every other Sim, despite their personality traits or their relationship with another Sim. It was making the game completely unplayable for some. From what I have read, the SDX "mean bug" fix helped some players, but also did absolutely nothing for others.

I'm getting very worried that I might never be able to safely update my game again, and it is just best to leave it at patch 1.87, before some very major bugs were introduced. I would love to have some of the new features & bug fixes, and buy new packs, too, but not at the risk of making my game unplayable. Its very frustrating to have spent so much money on this game & then not be able to trust the company that makes it to quickly & effectively fix bugs without causing further issues. I feel like I spend more time reading about the issues & how to fix them on various forums rather than playing the game! This franchise has always been a stress-reliever, and an escape for me since Sims 1 in 2000. Now it feels like a full-time job just to keep the game working. That shouldn't be a responsibility hoisted on to the dedicated & loyal players of this game.
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »

The performance doesn’t increase or you don’t from B to an A? I know there is a bug where you can’t get the next grade playing HSY and need to send the child to school in the normal way for them to get the next grade. Think that affects a lot of people.

Haven’t heard anything about the performance bar not changing at all though. Might be a rare bug, or something related to a mod.

After playing the new pack for the first time this week, my sim self's grandson Frankie Bheeda got offered early graduation on his "first day" at school!
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »

After playing the new pack for the first time this week, my sim self's grandson Frankie Bheeda got offered early graduation on his "first day" at school!

Ha! That's awesome (ahem), he must be very talented! :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »

Ha! That's awesome (ahem), he must be very talented! :)

What was weird it was people he doesn't even know ringing him up to tell him this, even Agnes Crumblebottom!
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    edited December 2022
    I have all packs, other than a couple of kits, and have almost zero issues with them. Other than the gardening bug, but who doesn't have that?

Forgot to mention: I do use mods though, mostly MCCC, Bienchen's and LittleMissSam's.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Does anyone know if there is a bug where a sim's energy plummets while sleeping in bed? I just started actually playing my game again and was enjoying it. My couple had a great day learning skills and fishing together. When they went to bed my sim Evie was sleeping for several hours and I noticed her energy was decreasing instead of increasing. Got a notice that she needed to rest soon as her energy bar was at the bottom! She was already sleeping! Tried to find an answer online, then tried to find if there was a bug report on this, but couldn't find anything. I am so frustrated! I was using the four poster bed from Cats and Dogs. I don't use cc or mods.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    edited December 2022
    Was she really sleeping or did she just look like she was sleeping. There’s a glitch where after woohooing, sims will look like they are asleep in bed but if you look at their moodlets and picture in the bottom left corner, you can see that they aren’t actually asleep.
  • Options
    Thank you @RedShoe7 for letting me know about the glitch. I will try playing again and make sure they don't woohoo before sleeping. I left the game without saving so will start again. This time I will save the game after improving their skills before they go to bed. I am planning to get their skills up before going on a jungle adventure and am really looking forward to playing the jungle again! It is a bit crazy that something so simple can cause a glitch like that. Thanks again!
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    edited December 2022
    Thank you @RedShoe7 for letting me know about the glitch. I will try playing again and make sure they don't woohoo before sleeping. I left the game without saving so will start again. This time I will save the game after improving their skills before they go to bed. I am planning to get their skills up before going on a jungle adventure and am really looking forward to playing the jungle again! It is a bit crazy that something so simple can cause a glitch like that. Thanks again!

If it is that glitch causing your issue, you should be able to click on the bed and have that sim actually go to sleep. If you are unable to control the sim, it may be a different issue. I'd hate for your sims to give up woohooing before bed. :wink:
  • Options
    I did click on the bed for her to go sleep, but didn't make a difference. Maybe should have clicked a second time. It is frustrating with all the little things that interfere with playing the game. Hoping they will fix most of them as I really love and enjoy the game when it is functioning as it should.
  • Options
    @WildIrishBanshee - Those are the main modders I use, too. And without the modders, this game would be hanging by a thread.
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited December 2022
    I play on console, and I haven’t encountered as many of these bugs.

1. I play with wants and fears on.
    2. I have auto-aging turned off for played sims.
    3. My twins are at the maximum possible for high school and they can graduate early whenever I want them to.
    4. I had snowy escape and never had the autonomous insulting. Still haven’t encountered that bug.

Many merfolk bugs still remain though. Fairly frequently my merfolk need to leave the water to fix their bugged swimming animation.

It’s possible that there are other swimming bugs popping up, like walking in water they should be swimming in and my merfolk have started to have this strange glitch where they hover above the water, break down like a servo and reboot before walking on water.

I’m still gathering info and screenshots, but I’m starting to notice that something is wrong with sims swimming, especially merfolk.

I think most of the merfolk bugs come from the merwoke mechanic to be honest.
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I play on console. So, none of the bugs I experience come from mods or cc… I wish some mods were available for the console.