Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing 3 or more Sims in a household, is it difficult for you too?

I'd love to hear about your playstyle in The Sims 4, and more specifically when it comes to the number of characters/sims you can manage at one time.

I'm asking this because I recently tried to properly play a family of 4, and that is 2 more members than what I am used to for many years (not counting pet)...
And I find it extremely overwhelming to manage them and it sort of feels like a job than a game whenever I try to play that household, does that make sense?

Is it because of my own playstyle, constant pausing trying to make sure nothing goes wrong and have no time in the day "wasted" (I blame you Harvest Moon) -- or is it generally difficult for players who are more chill too?
If you've been there before, I'd love to hear your tips on how you made it easier on yourself to manage a larger household and enjoy playing them without cheats.

And if you can manage 8 members needs & skills with ease... teach us master! lol

Comments

• Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    I frequently play with 4+ sims, usually a set of parents with however many kids. For me, needs aren't too difficult to manage if I leave full autonomy on. I also tend to give certain family members roles within the family. Cooking together is a huge help since it will increase the portion size, leaving more leftovers. Whichever kid needs manners is in charge of setting the table. One parent takes cooking duty while the other is charge of repairs. One of the keys is repeating similar actions so the sims will build autonomy for certain things, like doing their homework or working out. I leave autonomy on, but keep an eye out for their queues to make sure they're not doing totally silly things. This means some pausing, but I'll usually let them do whatever they decide they want to do. If a sim starts to get weird about computers or other objects, I'll lock it or take it away so the temptation is gone. I also don't let anyone stay up all night, period. Everyone sleeps so that their schedules stay synced up. I also don't micromanage their socialization (with the exception of fulfilling specific wants). If one kid goes on a mean streak, then the parents will discipline them after the fact rather than me frantically trying to cancel the action.

As far as aspirations go, childhood aspirations are so tedious to me, so I tend to micromanage sims as toddlers to max their skills, then max out scouts so they get scouting aptitude. That's enough childhood bonus traits for my play style; I can then focus on their parenthood traits instead of making them meet 5 friends or whatever those levels are. This also makes it easier to focus on the adult's aspirations, with the knowledge that the kids will get attention when they move out and start their own families.

The other key piece for me is playing favorites and focusing on their development. In a family of 8, probably at least two of the kids are going to be favorites that I focus on, with the rest taking a backseat. If one of the not-favorites wants to skip their homework and watch a movie, it's not the end of the world. I also let each member of the family specialize their interests instead of trying to be overall skilled. If a sim has the neat trait, she gets to clean whatever she wants and do all the laundry. If one sim is creative, then they'll get all their fun from painting and cross stitch, even if there's technically time for them to build all of the skills. Sims feel more three dimensional to me if I let them keep knitting whatever they want after hitting level 10 rather than moving on to a new hobby just to build the skill. For me, it's not "wasting" their time if they're developing a personality and family dynamic.

Also, not going to lie, I do occasionally use UI Cheats to top off a motive if I've directed them to fulfill it, but the action drops from their queue or they having issues fulfilling it. I don't consider it cheating since if the sim had listened and the game behaved, the motive would have increased.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I have never played an 8 sim household, it's usually one sim or a family of three or four sims. However, I don't try to play against time, as I play with long seasons and aging off, and generally a slow game so if they don't get to skill up today, they can always do it tomorrow. But I've noticed that sims are quite good at taking care of their needs in TS4 if they have what's needed on their lot and they will skill up in whatever they use anyway. In my gameplay I try to make my sims as autonomous as possible. I make them cook group meals, even for single sims, and fill their fridge with leftovers so there's always ready made food available. For kids and toddlers, I usually leave a group meal out on the table or counter and they can help themselves. I try to add bathrooms on every floor of a house, so they don't waste time going up and down the stairs all the time. And speaking of going up and down the stairs, toddlers always get a ground floor bedroom. This way they can easily reach food in the kitchen and when they are tired they can put themselves to sleep in their own bed. Social need is easy to take care of if you have a family because they talk to each other. For fun, they can do group activities depending on age and also multitasking activities such a watching TV and talking while having meal together. With pets, I give them those timed food dispensers so I don't have to refill their bowls every time. The cats usually get the laser litter box that cleans itself. Also, with larger households, I've noticed that it helps to have all sims in view, so it's better to have single floor houses or at least put skill and fun activities on one floor only so you don't have to always switch floors to see where is everyone and what they are doing. Also, you need to make sure your community lots are family friendly, so if you take a family there everyone's needs will be met and they can all have fun or skill up without having to worry about needs.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    You are not alone!

I too think any household over 3 sims is too much chaos for me personally. That isn't fun for me, I don't need my heart to race like I'm playing some video game that I'm trying to rush to beat the clock.

Nope!

I play sims to relax, not to stress me out.

And, I have no problem cheating needs if I need to (and sometimes I actually set them to not decay if I'm trying to accomplish something for story telling screenshot purposes).

I also always play in a single floor home so I can keep an eye on everybody. (I don't like overly cluttered houses that have large items like tall bookcases that block my view.)

That's probably the reason I don't do challenges with some pre-defined rules on family size/generation, etc.

I'm not a micro-manager, never have been. I play with full autonomy and aging off 90% of the time unless I'm needing a certain screenshot for story telling then I'll turn autonomy off so I don't feel like I'm hearding a bunch of cats or toddlers to do something.

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    Larger households can be fun especially if you're not trying to accomplish too many specific things with too many sims at the same time. I do enjoy watching a bustling household. I also enjoy watching one or two sims peacefully fishing or something.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,849 Member
    In the past I never had more than 2 or 3 because I was a micromanager. Anything more than that was too much to keep up with. My play style is changing and I’m not micromanaging like I used too so I look forward seeing what it’s like now. The only time I do that now is if I’m really wanting a screenshot with a particular group of sims in it.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    I think it starts to get hard around 4 sims if all of them are supposed to lead interesting lives

often someone ends up sleeping a lot if there is 5-8 sims :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    It honestly takes time to get used to it. I’ve been able to manage households of 8, but in for the past 2 years I’ve been on my households that is 1 and 2 sims. I tried going to 4 and up but it got difficult to handle😅 the only thing to really help is continue trying and try to stay on the normal speed. With time you’ll get the hang of it👌
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I usually only play with one or two sims, but when I do play with more than that (usually because the family grows), the pause button is my friend. For the most part, I just let the sims do whatever. I am attempting to do something new, and that is starting off with a couple, with two pets (a fox and a raccoon created in CAS). I've placed them on a farm, and they are newlyweds. I haven't gotten very far in this save yet, so I'm hoping I don't get overwhelmed with this save. I'm about tempted to place a third sim, a farmhand who has no interest in a relationship or children, to help out around.
  • Options
    MarkooshMarkoosh Posts: 108 Member
    edited November 2022
    HavenRose wrote: »
    I frequently play with 4+ sims, usually a set of parents with however many kids. For me, needs aren't too difficult to manage if I leave full autonomy on. I also tend to give certain family members roles within the family. Cooking together is a huge help since it will increase the portion size, leaving more leftovers. Whichever kid needs manners is in charge of setting the table. One parent takes cooking duty while the other is charge of repairs. One of the keys is repeating similar actions so the sims will build autonomy for certain things, like doing their homework or working out. I leave autonomy on, but keep an eye out for their queues to make sure they're not doing totally silly things. This means some pausing, but I'll usually let them do whatever they decide they want to do. If a sim starts to get weird about computers or other objects, I'll lock it or take it away so the temptation is gone. I also don't let anyone stay up all night, period. Everyone sleeps so that their schedules stay synced up. I also don't micromanage their socialization (with the exception of fulfilling specific wants). If one kid goes on a mean streak, then the parents will discipline them after the fact rather than me frantically trying to cancel the action.

As far as aspirations go, childhood aspirations are so tedious to me, so I tend to micromanage sims as toddlers to max their skills, then max out scouts so they get scouting aptitude. That's enough childhood bonus traits for my play style; I can then focus on their parenthood traits instead of making them meet 5 friends or whatever those levels are. This also makes it easier to focus on the adult's aspirations, with the knowledge that the kids will get attention when they move out and start their own families.

The other key piece for me is playing favorites and focusing on their development. In a family of 8, probably at least two of the kids are going to be favorites that I focus on, with the rest taking a backseat. If one of the not-favorites wants to skip their homework and watch a movie, it's not the end of the world. I also let each member of the family specialize their interests instead of trying to be overall skilled. If a sim has the neat trait, she gets to clean whatever she wants and do all the laundry. If one sim is creative, then they'll get all their fun from painting and cross stitch, even if there's technically time for them to build all of the skills. Sims feel more three dimensional to me if I let them keep knitting whatever they want after hitting level 10 rather than moving on to a new hobby just to build the skill. For me, it's not "wasting" their time if they're developing a personality and family dynamic.

Also, not going to lie, I do occasionally use UI Cheats to top off a motive if I've directed them to fulfill it, but the action drops from their queue or they having issues fulfilling it. I don't consider it cheating since if the sim had listened and the game behaved, the motive would have increased.

This is interesting. Thank you for sharing @HavenRose. :smiley:
    Maybe one day I'll find the courage to turn the autonomy back on without constantly panicking lol
    I too think any household over 3 sims is too much chaos for me personally. That isn't fun for me, I don't need my heart to race like I'm playing some video game that I'm trying to rush to beat the clock.

Nope!

I play sims to relax, not to stress me out.

YES! :tired_face:
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Yes, OMGosh

I think 2 is my sweet spot. Even adding a pet to that adds stress. LOL. I was doing pretty good with a family with a mom, dad, child, and teen. Then I added a cat and a toddler. It is now chaos. No one gets fed, and everyone is exhausted. Forget about having jobs or after-school things or even taking a bath. I just watch it go down and sign off to another household. LOL.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    You are not alone!
    I also always play in a single floor home so I can keep an eye on everybody. (I don't like overly cluttered houses that have large items like tall bookcases that block my view.)

Agreed, just the thought of playing with a toddler in a 2 story home makes my brain go 'nope'!! I currently have a 2 story with a toddler and it's driving me crazy. There is always too many trips up and down the stairs for everyone.

"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 847 Member
    I always play big households. Right now I have 7, 6 sims and a dog. I'm a micromanager for sure, the pause button is my best friend. I don't find it hard at all, but I'm afraid my tips and tricks are just ... practice. Lots and lots of practice. I played this way throughout Sims 2 and 3, so I've had literally years of practice. It is much easier to play big families in Sims 3 and 4 than it was in Sims 2, I can tell you that! Maybe that's why it's easier for me, because I started out in Sims 2. My best advice is if playing large households isn't fun or is stressful for you, just don't do it. Play however is fun for you.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Uaexep wrote: »
    I'd love to hear about your playstyle in The Sims 4, and more specifically when it comes to the number of characters/sims you can manage at one time.

I'm asking this because I recently tried to properly play a family of 4, and that is 2 more members than what I am used to for many years (not counting pet)...
    And I find it extremely overwhelming to manage them and it sort of feels like a job than a game whenever I try to play that household, does that make sense?

Is it because of my own playstyle, constant pausing trying to make sure nothing goes wrong and have no time in the day "wasted" (I blame you Harvest Moon) -- or is it generally difficult for players who are more chill too?
    If you've been there before, I'd love to hear your tips on how you made it easier on yourself to manage a larger household and enjoy playing them without cheats.

And if you can manage 8 members needs & skills with ease... teach us master! lol

I play with mods, so for me, UI Cheats is a necessity. LOL! I do have 8 sims in my household, though three of them are actually cats. My sims I began with have twin daughters(school-aged) and a toddler son.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I can handle four.
    It gets a little too much with six+.

In those cases I just focus on four and let the rest do whatever they want until I need them to do something else, then I focus on them.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    edited November 2022
    For me it's not difficult with the motive management as much as it is just trying to get personally involved with my Sims which is why now I usually start with a single Sim and stick to duos, just hoping they don't have triplets if they're not both unable to have a biologically related child.

I feel like if I'm not watching a specific Sim long enough I rarely get to connect with them and truly get to know who they truly are.

..That or I check on them and they're going around to randomly berate and insult family members, since evil often runs in my Sim families.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited November 2022
    I used to play only large households, with autonomy on. Sims took care of their own needs, so I focused on whoever/whatever was the most fun at any given time.

My current save started with autonomy off, and I got to like micro-managing everything. Now, I prefer small households. Trying to control everything for 8 sims means that you don't get a lot of quality time with each one.

Tips for full households:
    • Pause is your friend. Glance down at the row of Sims regularly, and if anyone is not green, pause. This gives you a chance to line up whatever tasks are needed to get your Sims happy again, without someone else losing bladder control while you're busy.
    • Autonomy on helps. Sims will go to the bathroom, take naps, and get a snack, so you don't need to constantly line up needs. You just have to put up with everyone getting some video gaming skill and watching tv behind your back.
    • If you have a lot of kids, call a nanny. Then don't leave the lot. Let the nanny help with the kids for a while before you dismiss them. You could also invite over family or friends who have a relationship with the kids.
    • Libraries give a boost to homework-type skills. You can take the kids to the library and play on the computer while they do homework. If you just have one or two kids, choose "help with homework" and the homework will finish faster.
    • When you can, take part of your household out on their own. Go to a festival or a cafe. While you're out, make sure to set what the Sims at home are doing. Building charisma? Socializing with someone? That takes care of some skill-grinding, so you can focus on the fun parts.

I'm sure there are a million more, but those are my Top Most Important Tips for playing a full household, not accidentally passing out in a puddle of their own bladder failure (this has happened), and still having fun.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I usually have a 8 Sim household, very rarely do I keep smaller families.
    It can get annoying, especially when you are trying to focus, another one can be having a meltdown.
    I do keep autonomy on for my Sims, so they can take care of themselves, but sometimes I have to cancel an action that they do.
    For me, I have had 6 teens and two adults, the teens can be annoying when they are having their mood swings. Some families are 4 adults and 4 teens, and others vary from there.
    Also, prepare to download a house of 8 Sims households, because the houses available can't really handle them unless you use cheats.
    Another thing is you have to keep track of what the Sims need to do, for schools and careers, because they may always do the stuff they need to do with autonomy on.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    I used to play with full households even above the 8 sims limit, but don't find that as much fun anymore nowadays. Managing three to five is my sweet spot now between it being boring and too much work.

My playstyle is autonomy off, since free willed sims act and rout too unpredictably, not to mention inefficiently. If I have to keep autonomy on for specific challenges, I feel I'm more often canceling unwanted actions than actually giving instructions. It's an uphill battle that I don't want to fight. Same for the nanny, my poor toddler had to constantly keep nanny occupied so that they didn't break stuff or fill the house with half-finished dishes.

The pause-key was already mentioned a lot, another thing working in my favour is to keep aging off. With no more time limit it doesn't matter when the sims reach their goals. (Going by that logic, I perhaps should allow free will, but I just can't. It drives me crazy.)

And finally I cheat. If I see a sim approaching mine for some unwanted chit-chat or if a conversation goes downhill and I cannot cancel quickly enough, then I sometimes use shift-click "reset object" to regain control. Resetting townies this way can be a sanity saver.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Definitely, especially if I'm trying to get their aspirations done. I wind up deactivating motive decay on all sims but the one I'm actively working with.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited November 2022
    It’s been years that I have felt I can’t manage a household with no more than 2 sims. Just recently, I started playing legacy and became comfortable playing with 8 sims max. It’s fun, but only if they autonomously done more by themselves, would it be more fun and less stressful.
  • Options
    Ninja-Dan22Ninja-Dan22 Posts: 117 Member
    I love playing big households, although until I started having less than 6 kids I didn't get past gen 4 of a legacy. When I started having 2/3 kids normally, I got to gen 20. I don't usually play with pets either. But I don't get attached to my sime, so I don't mind them having no personality lol.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I have a relatively relaxed playstyle, I let my sims enjoy life and waste their time. I do also have some set goals for them, but don't mind if it takes some time. You could try long life span it's a lot more relaxed - or aging off of course. I enjoy playing families of four, but I admit five is starting to get a bit busy for me.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    It's really hard for me with 3 sims, I usually play 1 sim at a time.

But when they release the babies I want to see what these sims' babies would look like. So I'll be trying 3 or more when they release the babies.
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/C8B73483089911ED8524B94D9C023555
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/1711244F8FCE11EC8AAE1D73EDB81A2A
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,089 Member
    Most of my households have either been five or four, six maybe once. It's not too bad for me. Currently in my simself's household he has three kids. One from his first wife and his two stepchildren from his second wife. They all come home from school hungry and his second wife comes home from work at the same time as the kids do from school so that gets a bit manic trying to make sure they don't go to the fridge while mum is cooking their meal. I've also noticed that some sims needs decay faster/slower than others.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited November 2022
    I play 3 with a cat and they’re all pretty well balanced with the same kinda level skills and aspiration points, but one is of course a bit ahead, one is a bit behind and one is in the middle.

One of my sims gets up earlier than the other 2 for a 5am start, and the other 2 both work in the evenings, so I kinda neglect the early one when the other two are there and then really focus on her when they’re out.

My cat has ran away a couple of times because I must have missed that it needed something and I’ve had some accidental deaths, but generally this is kinda the level of multitasking I’m happiest with. I think one sim would be boring to me and always have at least 2.

With this particular household the aim is just for them to have fun and adventures and be successful so I drink the potions of youth and I would reset or use potions if they get too depressed or they failed something I want them to pass. It doesn’t really matter if I mess up because it’s all fixable.

What I don’t like so much is they don’t autonomously stick to their favorite activities. The sister who has never done any cooking always wants to cook, and the one who doesn’t do yoga always is running to the yoga mat. It would be nice if it could emulate your playstyle better.