Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are Spellcasters not as well liked as Vampires/Werewolves?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    edited September 2022
    @GrumpyGlowfish and @EgonVM I don't know why it bugged me but I'm over it. I've said before that I have a short fuse and seeing the asking for "real" witches just pushed a button that I should not have allowed to be pushed. It made me feel bad for my Wiccan friends.

But yes, it is just a game. Funny thing is that when RoM first came out, I was a tad annoyed that they were called Spellcasters. Now I get it. I understand why EA made that decision.

Another thing I like about spellcasters is that they look like they're using the force when they duel with their hands. I imagine Darth Vader's voice coming out of my Sim as she does the death choke on her opponent and flings them around. I tried to have her do it in Batuu but her magic was useless. Here is where pack integration would have been awesome! She's a Sith Scoundrel because she enjoys getting one over on the dark side. Imagine if she could use her magic there. Awesome!

I wish the game treated werewolves and vampires like they do spellcasters. Put down the pitchforks! LOL. I mean that their quirks aren't forced on us. We should be able to decide just how far into the lore we want them to go. I'm not a fan of this all or nothing approach. I also hate...hate with the force of a thousand burning suns....the way they force us to pick a negative for every positive. Again, taking away my control of my game.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    @CarpeNoctemSims

Ah, Batuu... This game pack limits creativity (I like that sims wear different outfits there, but I don't like that it's limited to the new ones only). All occults will not have their powers in Batuu.

Ah, don't feel bad. We all have our short fuse moments where we say things we later regret. I've had those moments too, not happy about them either...

And yes, that's the thing I am all for: customizability. From spellcasters that blend into sim society to spellcasters that are known for their spells. They can only improve, right? I have shared a lot of ideas on this discussion already. Though it's up to Maxis to improve them...
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,641 Member
    When I was going through my spiritual experimentation after leaving home, I tried Paganism. The obsession with witches "being real witches" with pointy hats...etc...etc...is a very off putting.

Not to be disrespectful, the Pagans you're describing sound like interesting people I'd like to meet myself, but they are simply not what most players think of when it comes to witches in a video game like The Sims. They may be the "real" witches in the sense that they're real people practicing a real lifestyle in the real world, but at the same time they're not "real" witches in the sense of using real magic, because... well, magic itself isn't real. And works of fiction featuring magic don't usually do it for the representation of any real people calling themselves witches.

Speaking with respect, as a self-identified neo-pagan witch I will just say that some of us believe in magic. Some people believe in the power of prayer. Some people believe in the power of Positive Thinking. Is any of it real? Well, that's a deeper philosophical discussion and this isn't the forum for it. :)

Also, some works of fiction do try - with varying degrees of success - to represent real world witches. Thinking about it, I suspect that may be why The Sims 4, with it's dedication to inclusivity, decided to go with Spellcaster instead of Witch for it's magic-users. Less baggage. The Sims Spellcasters don't try to be a representation of Wicca (though we can play them that way if we want to). Neither do they try to be a representation of the Witched Witch of the West (but we could play that too). I still say they are closest to a Harry Potter knock-off, but that can be forgiven.

I've seen some people dislike The Sims 4 as being too bland at times, but I find that plain canvas let's us as players tell our own stories our own ways.

Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I will just say that some of us believe in magic. Some people believe in the power of prayer. Some people believe in the power of Positive Thinking. Is any of it real? Well, that's a deeper philosophical discussion and this isn't the forum for it. :)

Also, some works of fiction do try - with varying degrees of success - to represent real world witches.

Of course, some works of fiction try to do that, but still, the majority just want to entertain us with super-cool, super-unrealistic supernatural fun. I write novels and make videos about witches myself, and I come up with a different magic system almost every time because I can think of many ways magic could work if it was real.

Whether or not it is real, well, if prayer and positive thinking are some people's definition of magic, I won't argue about it. But I was thinking more along the lines of telekinesis, teleportation, etc. If you know anyone who can actually do that, please give me their number so I can become their student.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Agreeing with what everyone is saying, the spellcasters had great potential but came out slightly underbaked..

The things that let it down for me are
    - the skill tree is kinda wishy washy.. some of the perks even seem to be identical to others, compared to the vampire perk tree which let you create more unique vampires.
    - The orb creatures, I forget what they are called, but they are a huge disapointment. No interactions what so ever..
    - if we are gonna have a resurrection spell and immortality potion, we should have a kill potion/ spell too.. there’s no real dark magic element.
    - Speaking of resurrection, I wish we could bring back sims as zombies ala sims2 if the spell goes wrong.. this could have tied into ghosts from base game better too.
    - The magic realm is pretty, but ultimately another shell world, I only really hang out on the rock with the school if I do go. Also what is even the school build, they should let us rebuild it.
    - And speaking of the magic realm, what is up with the situational outfit buggggg, puts me off ever visiting the realm.
    - And as for the glimmerbrook, could be a nice blank canvas map, but each of the tiny lots comes with these dramatic huge cobblestone driveways that limit what you can build. But this is an issue for me across most of the newer maps so..
    - Also, the Bb does try, but doesn’t quite hit the mark the way vampires does, same goes for cas.

The thing I like about the vampire world is you can wipe it and create your own vampire clan, something you can’t do in werewolves, and it’s also a missed opportunity with spellcasters that you can’t somehow defeat the 3 mages and take their place.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Agreeing with what everyone is saying, the spellcasters had great potential but came out slightly underbaked..

- the skill tree is kinda wishy washy.. some of the perks even seem to be identical to others, compared to the vampire perk tree which let you create more unique vampires.
    - The orb creatures, I forget what they are called, but they are a huge disapointment. No interactions what so ever..
    - if we are gonna have a resurrection spell and immortality potion, we should have a kill potion/ spell too.. there’s no real dark magic element.
    - Speaking of resurrection, I wish we could bring back sims as zombies ala sims2 if the spell goes wrong.. this could have tied into ghosts from base game better too.
    - The magic realm is pretty, but ultimately another shell world, I only really hang out on the rock with the school if I do go. Also what is even the school build, they should let us rebuild it.
    - And speaking of the magic realm, what is up with the situational outfit buggggg, puts me off ever visiting the realm.
    - And as for the glimmerbrook, could be a nice blank canvas map, but each of the tiny lots comes with these dramatic huge cobblestone driveways that limit what you can build. But this is an issue for me across most of the newer maps so..
    - Also, the Bb does try, but doesn’t quite hit the mark the way vampires does, same goes for cas.

The thing I like about the vampire world is you can wipe it and create your own vampire clan, something you can’t do in werewolves, and it’s also a missed opportunity with spellcasters that you can’t somehow defeat the 3 mages and take their place.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but SimGurus have said multiple times that they can't include something that kills other sims. Yes, inferniate can kill sims if you cast it on the ground under a sim, but yeah, they fear raising the age rating.
    So, the best bet there is to use Jungle Adventure's relics...
    Though the zombie resurrection spell is a great idea.

Agreed with that situational outfits. Like why? Why? Right now, if you don't want your sim to wear those situational outfits, you'll have to cheat them a trait called trait_Hidden_SpellcasterPremade (requires testing cheats).

Realm of Magic is a beautiful place indeed, but I agree that there are not a lot to do. Though a lot of times I like to be able to edit the neighborhoods outside the lots...
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    ddd994 wrote: »

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but SimGurus have said multiple times that they can't include something that kills other sims. Yes, inferniate can kill sims if you cast it on the ground under a sim, but yeah, they fear raising the age rating.
    So, the best bet there is to use Jungle Adventure's relics...
    Though the zombie resurrection spell is a great idea.

Agreed with that situational outfits. Like why? Why? Right now, if you don't want your sim to wear those situational outfits, you'll have to cheat them a trait called trait_Hidden_SpellcasterPremade (requires testing cheats).

Realm of Magic is a beautiful place indeed, but I agree that there are not a lot to do. Though a lot of times I like to be able to edit the neighborhoods outside the lots...

The situational outfits in the magic realm are indeed horrible and completely unnecessary. I didn't know about that cheat but luckily the wonderful @83bienchen has a mod for this. I couldn't enjoy the magic realm as much as I do without this mod.

I wish we could have lots to build in the magic realm. But I also would have liked the reverse. A magic lot trait to make a lot outside of the magic realm and allow spellcasters to use magic and be visible as spellcasters outside of the magic realm.
  • Options
    willprotwillprot Posts: 18 Member
    spell casters are my favorite occult form, with vampires are close second
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    Looking at the current poll, it seems they’re not that disliked, at all.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,875 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    Looking at the current poll, it seems they’re not that disliked, at all.

Yup.

40% Spellcasters
    34% Vampires
    24% Werewolves
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I actually love the Spellcaster traits the best because I can add their powers with my Aliens & Mermaids. <3 Also, being able to have a Vampire/Spellcaster hybrids is fun. :p Now, if only my Werewolves could actually have a Spellcaster trait at the same time without them looking glitchy. :'(
  • Options
    VaniliciousVanilicious Posts: 98 Member
    I do like the pack. In fact my sim is a witch, but I admit that all this is only thanks to the many mods that I have xD
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I actually love the Spellcaster traits the best because I can add their powers with my Aliens & Mermaids. <3 Also, being able to have a Vampire/Spellcaster hybrids is fun. :p Now, if only my Werewolves could actually have a Spellcaster trait at the same time without them looking glitchy. :'(

It would have been nice if spellcasters could officially be combined with other occults. Because magic feels like a skill and spellcasters have no special needs or second form, it should be possible.
  • Options
    Garfieldwxg55Garfieldwxg55 Posts: 76 Member
    Wow, I guess Spellcasters are pretty popular, great to know! Would love some more spells/potions though, but I guess mods can accomplish that. Already I use a Hybrid enabler mod, so eventually I can have a Spellcaster-Vampire-Werewolf-Mermaid Sim.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I just want to say that I never meant to be disrespectful to Wiccans, in fact I worked with a Wiccan. She was a very sweet person, didn’t cast spells or use potions that I knew of anyway, but she did profess to have an insight into being able to see the non living around the living. I’m assuming real witches or Wiccans probably all possess or believe they possess different types of powers.

Like someone else mentioned Christians believe in the power of prayer, and some others believe in the power of positive thoughts. Scientists in various countries are looking at, and studying the idea that prayer and positive thought may be able to help in healing.

Anyway I think that spellcasters can be very versitile. We can play them as healers ( as in herbal remedies ), or we can play them as magicians, or as potion creators and spellcasters. We can also play them in a paranormal way with those type of powers.

I meant no disrespect to Wiccans because I want a typical ( fantasy ) witches hat. Since we have wands and brooms, spells and potions in the spellcaster pack, I want to be able to play them like some of the unreal or fantasy witches I have seen in movies. I want to be able to emulate the witch I made in the sims 2, but I mean no disrespect to real witches or Pagans. Being a Christian myself I wish we had religion in the game, I would not consider it an affront to my faith. There are many religions, and I assume there are others of different faiths that wish they could express that in their sims world as well. But, I totally understand the Dev’s team not thinking it a good idea.
  • Options
    sireneilessireneiles Posts: 67 Member
    There's more work put into real of magic than in vampires or werewolves. The spells and amount of crafting, wands, brooms, familiars + the double world is enough content for spell casters to not be last on the occult scale. I guess they're not as "sexy"? They're lacking an identity. They don't transform, they don't visually belong somewhere, magic does not impact them directly aesthetic wise and you'd know by now that majority of sims players run by aesthetics. So i guess that could be why ?

Also most of their spells aren't really appealing either. Most of it feel like uninspired cheat codes that offer little to no consequences
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited September 2022
    The biggest issue to me is that they are WAY too easy and their skill tree lacks flavor. In fact, I only got the pack after I made sure there are mods that introduce more challenge. I have never even experienced the vanilla gameplay and I still felt like it was too easy. Though even disregarding difficulty, this occult state was still disappointing to me because they just lack flavor. There was no roleplay/morality choices like there are in Werewolves and especially Vampires. In Vampires I love the fact that you need to pick weaknesses that can then cancel certain strengths. There's also a variety of Aspirations to further improve your roleplay.

With Spellcasters you can't pick and choose traits most appropriate for your character since the trees force you to advance in a certain order. Also, the skill tree just lacks imagination and is very basic like "you earn Xp faster" or "your spells are less likely to fail" or "you generate less Spell charge" *YAWN*. Compare this to Vampires and Werewolves who actually get new abilities and interactions.

Learning of spells/potions is also way too simplified. Spells could be a great customization option but instead you learn them at random and thus basically every single spellcaster knows the exact same spells. The only difference is whether you choose to ignore certain magic schools. I guess you could bypass this by only learning spells via tomes but my point still stands. As it is there's not even really an incentive to use the freaking tomes since you learn everything easily with just practicing spells by yourself. Boring. Also, what is even the point of becoming an alchemist since you get free samples of powerful potions and can just then use Copypasto spell again and again? (One of the things a mod eliminated.)

I still managed to have fun with my spellcasters but it just kinda took a lot of self-imposed restrictions, roleplay and mods.
    Post edited by Thrior on
  • Options
    IlikebuildingIlikebuilding Posts: 41 Member
    Hi, for most Sim gameplay, I prefer Sims 2/3, but one thing that I love about the Sims 4 is the more expanded occult gameplay. But I was thinking, I see a lot of love for Vampires and Werewolves, but not so much for Spellcasters. And I was curious why that is, what did Realm of Magic do that wasn't as interesting as Vampires or Werewolves? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I cannot say as I have noticed. Perhaps it depends on their personality? Vamps and werewolves are definitely disliked if they keep going around biting people. The only ones who hate my magicians are paparazzies who they keep chucking spells at.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I really enjoy them but I think they need a pack refresh to be on the same level as vampires/werewolves, especially with the lore.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990