Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Way too much phone action now during chatting

Comments

• Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    edited July 2022
    I don't have the HSY pack yet. So it seems that is irrelevant whether you have the pack or not. This was updated in the last patch.
    The phone usage is ridiculous! Insanely! Not "normal". :p

I'm sure the devs are working on this issue. (Cheers! :) )

Anyways, reminds me of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDEv3VyGtxk

:D:D:D

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    It really should be tied to likes and dislikes. (I would say traits, but we have too few of those as it is to waste on something like this.) Alternatively, it could be tied to the individual sim's phone. But either way, it really needs to be easily customizable.

I was so looking forward to the new sexual orientation options that came with this patch, and now I haven't even been able to bring myself to open the game all week, because everything else that seems to have come with the patch is such a nightmare.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    It really should be tied to likes and dislikes. (I would say traits, but we have too few of those as it is to waste on something like this.) Alternatively, it could be tied to the individual sim's phone. But either way, it really needs to be easily customizable.

I was so looking forward to the new sexual orientation options that came with this patch, and now I haven't even been able to bring myself to open the game all week, because everything else that seems to have come with the patch is such a nightmare.
    Same here I haven’t turned on my game either. The aging bug would obliterate my games.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited July 2022
    Anybody whos afraid of the aging bug, you can do two things; one, open your game save and save it under a new name. That way the old untarnished one is there if everything goes bad. Two, just try turning aging off, for now, until a fix is made. The main thing is, though, just don't save over whatever saved game you don't want to ruin. Really hard to do permanent damage to a save that already works if you don't save over it.
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    It used to be that teen sims would take selfies and autonomously check their phones occasionally, while young adult and older didn't do that. If the HSY update had made it so this excessive phone usage was for teens only, then that would at least make sense, even if it's annoying.

But for all the sims to do it, even granny, shouldn't be happening. I hope they patch that out at some point.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member

As irritating as this cell phone bug is, this made me laugh!

Vlad (The Vampire) Poofed in to suck one of my Sim's blood. But then stopped and stood there for awhile playing with his phone instead. :D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    When I first saw it (seconds after updating and loading the game) I thought it was a bug. Along with “change the phone color” issue that was already reported, it makes sims glued to their phones almost 24h a day.

It is annoying and no fun. Especially that it was slapped on all sims no matter age and species. Rampaging werewolf shouldn’t run on all fours while looking at their cellphone and this is exactly what they do now, every single time. As well as old vampire hiding in his mansion. And what about sims with technophobe lifestyle? This makes no sense for them. They would use phone only when in danger or for practical purposes.

I like the new covers and update to the phone design as it needed refresh, but idle animation should be removed. With some tuning it could become teenagers only action. Children don’t have it (I guess because they can’t use social bunny app), unfortunately we can’t have house with only children. 😆

Before the update sims would occasionally use phone by themselves like web searching or play the game, but it was REAL action that gave them some fun. I could get behind that. But this one doesn’t give them anything, it’s just empty animation.
  • Options
    procianprocian Posts: 151 Member
    edited August 2022
    Ever since the new update my sims are constantly on the phone...My sim went jogging...started playing on her phone while running...sim went for a bath...got her phone out while walking to the bathroom....went to cook dinner...got her phone out....This needs toning down a bit methinks.
    Post edited by EA_Cade on
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Was just playing Base Game & Seasons only and saw my sim frequently checking his phone while walking.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited August 2022
    LiELF wrote: »
    The phones were already too much before the patch and many people wanted a way to turn them off but for some unknown reason, the devs decided that more excessive phone use was a good idea.

I can't even fathom why they made this decision. It's almost as if they are trying to destroy the game for people. I've never seen anyone say they wanted more phone activity, but I've seen a lot of people frustrated for years with them, who wanted a way for Sims to be able to not have them at all or have a toggle or way to turn the infernal devices off so their Sims could have some peace. Now the phone use is built into the default walk with additional animations and even more chaotic programming to make Sims want to use them more?

Hate. This.

The game is now completely destroyed for players who are Occult focused, who like retro-era play, and who own any packs that aren't modern society, trend or tech focused. Which is a lot. Vampires, Werewolves, Realm of Magic, Jungle Adventure, Journey to Batuu, Strangerville, Paranormal, Island Adventure... just to name a few.

Absolutely destroyed.

Yes I agree have you noticed now sims are more obsessed over that thing. I mean my sim was about to have a baby and is checking her phone. :D
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 913 Member
    I had a werewolf sim, in human form running on all fours using his phone. It was the weirdest thing to see. It doesn't really bother me... yet. However, I did see a couple new mods for it already.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    RubyMistRubyMist Posts: 15 Member
    I've noticed it's getting excessive for my Sims. I wish I could disable to phone use like they will only use it for travel, services, etc, not every second pulling the phone out to tap on it no matter what they're doing.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    The phones were already too much before the patch and many people wanted a way to turn them off but for some unknown reason, the devs decided that more excessive phone use was a good idea.

I can't even fathom why they made this decision. It's almost as if they are trying to destroy the game for people. I've never seen anyone say they wanted more phone activity, but I've seen a lot of people frustrated for years with them, who wanted a way for Sims to be able to not have them at all or have a toggle or way to turn the infernal devices off so their Sims could have some peace. Now the phone use is built into the default walk with additional animations and even more chaotic programming to make Sims want to use them more?

Hate. This.

The game is now completely destroyed for players who are Occult focused, who like retro-era play, and who own any packs that aren't modern society, trend or tech focused. Which is a lot. Vampires, Werewolves, Realm of Magic, Jungle Adventure, Journey to Batuu, Strangerville, Paranormal, Island Adventure... just to name a few.

Absolutely destroyed.

* raises hand *

Jupp, those are my favorite packs and I too am trying to hide the phone every way I can.

It could be worse, I am on the werewolf-patch and all my mods are working great. I can camp here indefinitely but it would be fun to continue with more content.

Hoping that it is the usual “making any new feature way too visible in game”. Still remember when bikes were new and every single npc sim had bikes and clubs were unusable. Dialed back a bit and please make occult sims act like themselves again.

Keeping fingers crossed, we will see what next pack and hot fix looks like.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I started new save today (the one I played before was my werewolves save from before update and I changed phone covers for all family members earlier). In this save I have a teen and I left her phone in default cover. The bug with changing cover after loading the game did not occur. Surprisingly this teen also uses phone much less than my sims from older save. It seems that phone is super buggy at this point and it’s hard to tell what was by design and what wasn’t.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,467 Member

Honestly, the obsessive phone use made me nearly give up on Sims 4 for the time bein’ - however- I had my game on auto update [because I’m smart] plus I preordered the HSY EP a month ago [because I’m smart] since I was super excited about shaving and facial hair growth (which turns out to be either extremely slow or not working….🧐🔥BE A MAN AND GROW A BEARD DARN IT!!🔥 ), so I ended up with everything pre-future hot fix…
    Aye.
    To be honest, it’s been a bit of a rough sea, but because I’m on PC and mods are me oysters…I’ve been able to keep the ship afloat…..ish.

I use very, very few mods and most of them are spice-up-me-game-gameplay mods. It’s the kind of lovely stuff we will never, ever see added to the game because …stuff…
    I try however, to avoid stuffing my mods folder full of tuning and/ or bug fixing mods. As a hot headed, but extremely patient person, I’ve been able to manage without these kind of mods in the past, although this time around….nope. Not a chance. This hostile take-over by these obsessive smart-phone nincompoops urged the hot head to take charge. Oh, Patient Person Man, where art thou? Unfortunately the game culled him. Grim is heaving him for his din dins. I assume he tastes quite bitter and we’re out of taco sauce.

So, right now I’m using a mod to disable autonomous phone activities and it feels like….my peach caught fire but someone managed to throw me into a cooling, babbling brook. The peach is still a bit steamy, but a lot calmer now. I’m able to sit and think again. What’s next werebeasts? Yes, I also wish you could devour your own phone. Alas.

The new pack introduces the Social Bunny App. It’s disabled by default, and it gives a player the option to use it if their sim really wants to be bothered by their constant bunny feed. Sure, using it may suit some sims, especially teens, but not all and that’s exactly how it should be. If a sim is tired of it, they can turn it off. Please do something similar for the entire phone system.
    Like many, I hate how it functions right now- but I will say this with love for the game: those phones really, really, really, really need work. No mods required. Please. ❤️
  • Options
    kestrelkestrel Posts: 5 New Member
    > @RedDestiny92 said:
    > I personally don't get why the phone bothers people, just on the level that there are things that bother me that I don't get involved in but don't have the choice for them to be around but I get over it and it just doesn't phase me. It won't be too bad I guess if they cave and water it down but it wouldnt be too bad to normalize chilling out a bit. To be fair about it is all, I mean there are complaints about waiting there will be more if they have to throw in the time to water everything.

I don't like it the way it is now because it seems no matter what my sim is doing, the phone comes out. If it was rl and I'm on a date, and my date gets on the phone, I'm NOT going to be happy. Ask friends over, then spend that time fiddling with the phone? If I was the friend I'd call them out on it. There's times and places for the phone, but IMO, it's too darn much now.
  • Options

Borrowed my husband's computer and have tried the new patch.

I want the phone-animations gone. My little test-sim lives in Sulani, she was out on a stroll on a deserted Island and she found a cave. How about that, a real dark cave just out there to explore. She crept up to the entrance, lets see what kind of mysteries awaits us, there might be something truly special there. Let's pull out the phone and google. Jup, during the animation when she crouches down and enters the cave she pulled out the phone creeping in while texting. Nope nope nope. It is a quick animation but I do not like it at all because it is not how I play the sims. It drives me bonkers. Jogging, you can do that and google at the same time.

- I play occult sims placed in unknown lands with the help of some good CC and not looking too much outside the boundaries of the current lot.
    - I play historical saves.

I just really don't like phones in game. And now there is more of it.

Sexual orientation is cool. Curved walls are cool. It is however not worth being so irritated by the phone. Especially not when everything works so well on the werewolf-patch that I am on.

Let's see how things look after the next patch, maybe then.
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited August 2022
    JustMeAlb wrote: »
    Was just playing Base Game & Seasons only and saw my sim frequently checking his phone while walking.

Was it supposed to be a thing with HSY? If that is the case, I still have this issue and do not have HSY pack or the Wolves.
  • Options
    JustMeAlb wrote: »

Was it supposed to be a thing with HSY? If that is the case, I still have this issue and do not have HSY pack or the Wolves.

The phone-addiction came with the patch.

Social Bunny is exclusive to HSY.
  • Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    I just really wish there was a way to disable the phone all together. Just a simple switch in the gameplay options: cellphone usage or no cellphone usage.
    I really had the urge the other day to start a new save that was like old time farming family with no electricity sort of little house on the prairie style. But knowing the phone will be a constant nuisance made me lose the urge.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Options
    I just really wish there was a way to disable the phone all together. Just a simple switch in the gameplay options: cellphone usage or no cellphone usage.
    I really had the urge the other day to start a new save that was like old time farming family with no electricity sort of little house on the prairie style. But knowing the phone will be a constant nuisance made me lose the urge.

Last update made it a little better, but still my rampaging werewolf will occasionally look at the freaking phone while on all fours. But it’s way better than it was. Maybe we will get toggle for a phone some time in the future so players who likes decade challenges or occult sims can have immersive experience.

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,131 Member
    I recommend to disable the social bunny & turn off notification on the sims phones. Also, give them the dislike video gaming.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited September 2022
    I sometimes wonder if the people who come with these new tuning or mechanic ideas have actually played the game.

What's wrong with adding some new traits? Phone Lover is one idea, for example. We have Art Lover. Or maybe likes/dislikes. Dislikes Tech. Loves Gadgets, etc. The basics for this stuff is already in the game. If anything those could do with being tuned up a bit. Sims who hate cooking still cook for example.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I sometimes wonder if the people who come with these new tuning or mechanic ideas have actually played the game.

What's wrong with adding some new traits? Phone Lover is one idea, for example. We have Art Lover. Or maybe likes/dislikes. Dislikes Tech. Loves Gadgets, etc. The basics for this stuff is already in the game. If anything those could do with being tuned up a bit. Sims who hate cooking still cook for example.

I have often wondered the exact same thing! It's like they bring in new people to work on a feature, but that person has no idea what is in the game already or how you even play the game ..... it really seems like they have no idea of how they could/should incorporate the "new feature" to actually provide additional gameplay for those people who own more packs besides the base game. I've often thought the issue is because they are incorporating it to only be a basegame feature and not play-testing these features without all of the packs. This iteration of The Sims is really horrible about cross-pack integration.

I think that's the reason that mods always seem so much more indepth, because they are created by actual simmers who've played the game for years and know how it works!