Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    BooDaBoo5BooDaBoo5 Posts: 253 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    I'll start off by saying that these threads are valuable to us for many reasons, the most of which is that it lets us know where we're focusing dev time and energy that could possibly be better spent elsewhere.

That being said:

I'm only saying this once, the next time someone brings up the ethnicity of ANYONE as a negative or a "cost cutting" measure this thread will be closed and I'll be handing out permanent bans to those involved.

The Sims team is spread out across the entire world and we have sites dedicated to specific tasks amongst them. I will not tolerate any racism on these forums.

I just want to clarify that my curiosity about cutting costs had nothing to do with the ethnicity of the names on the QA list, just the small number of the team.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Just been watching this review...

https://youtu.be/_XkB1zx6lLM
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    edited July 2022
    Well I tried one more time, even destroying the roof to get this to work. Still no option to sneak out. So apparently I'm just not allowed to experience the sneaking out part of the pack. Even made it two tiles away, still not working. I don't know what else to do but will say one thing. I absolutely regret buying this pack at full price. NEVER again.

9MVpPFh.png

And as sad as it it, I kind don't even want to play this game anymore because of this.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited July 2022
    Mixed feelings so far...

I have only played the pack for a little bit, I played the Price household who have three teens, Sidney (the cheerleading sim from the trailer), his sister Savannah and Kevin (the socially awkward sim from the trailer). First I visited the cheerleading day with just Sidney, it wasn’t … too bad, it was about what I expected with sims hanging around and you could perform cheerleading and compete and take photos, they have added a lot of new animations and voice lines so teens feel more like teens and I liked that.

Then I visited the High School during school day with all three sims and that did not go as well, Sidney greeted the principal by sitting at her desk... in her chair. Later during the exam (because I started playing on a Friday) when I was controlling Kevin I watched as Savannah just walked out during the exam to use the bathroom and then walk across the entire high school in order to use the sink, then she didn't walk back to the exam but instead sat and played video games. She failed the exam while Sidney did ok and Kevin aced it.

When the school day was over a lot of sims were still hanging around and did animations to showcase the new after school activities, which I guess was nice, but we know that we can't actually do the activities at the high school, they just go to a rabbit hole... I proceeded to say hello to a lot of teens and add them to the social bunny app as friends.

During saturday I visited the Thrift shop and boba tea place, creating outfits feel... ok I guess? You just go to CAS and...pick an outfit, it feels just like picking an outfit in CAS normally with some added functions like choosing between styles and rarity and you can create your own style. You can also promote your outfit and it's here I also notice that you get a lot of messages from the social bunny app, all my three sims have gotten loads of messages from their contacts which is kinda cool, it gives the sims a bit more character even though I suspect the messages are pretty random and it might get repetitive after a while.

I also tried making friends with Kevin and I did not have much trouble at all... he did not fail every interaction like I have seen from other videos, he even managed to be friends with Yuki Behr and ask her to go to prom as friends. I also took some selfies with them and the new selfie pictures are pretty nice. I also tried the new Boba Tea and... yeah it's a new drinking animation...cool...I guess.

As it's getting closer to prom I get an invite from Molly (the principals daughter) that she wants to have a small party before prom, I select yes and go to her place with a bunch of teens. At her place I don't even find her, and sims just seemed to hang around and not do much, they also stayed there for only 2 min before they all left, I also notice later that Molly was just working out in the basement.

I go back home and I want to prepare Kevin for prom, I tell him to shave and the new shaving animations are pretty nice, I did notice though that the body hair did not look very good, the leg hair looks like drawn lines. I put him on a new outfit and I assume it's time for prom. I check the calendar and it's about to start, I save my game and...

nothing, no prom starts, confused I check again, nope, no prom. I'm not sure if it's because I started on friday? maybe a whole week need to pass in order to to prom? I proceed by calling Yuki over and then they sit down and watch TV.

My general impressions right now is that the presentation and the design of the pack is actually not too bad... a lot of new animations, new items, new voice lines but the gameplay, the inner workings, feels rough and I'm not sure for how long one would like to visit the high school until this will start to feel repetitive.
    Post edited by logion on
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Mixed feelings so far...

I have only played the pack for a little bit, I played the Price household who have three teens, Sidney (the cheerleading sim from the trailer), his sister Savannah and Kevin (the socially awkward sim from the trailer). First I visited the cheerleading day with just Sidney, it wasn’t … too bad, it was about what I expected with sims hanging around and you could perform cheerleading and compete and take photos, they have added a lot of new animations and voice lines so teens feel more like teens and I liked that.

Then I visited the High School during school day with all three sims and that did not go as well, Sidney greeted the principal by sitting at her desk... in her chair. Later during the exam (because I started playing on a Friday) when I was controlling Kevin I watched as Savannah just walked out during the exam to use the bathroom and then walk across the entire high school in order to use the sink, then she didn't walk back to the exam but instead sat and played video games. She failed the exam while Sidney did ok and Kevin aced it.

When the school day was over a lot of sims were still hanging around and did animations to showcase the new after school activities, which I guess was nice, but we know that we can't actually do the activities at the high school, they just go to a rabbit hole... I proceeded to say hello to a lot of teens and add them to the social bunny app as friends.

During saturday I visited the Thrift shop and boba tea place, creating outfits feel... ok I guess? You just go to CAS and...pick an outfit, it feels just like picking an outfit in CAS normally with some added functions like choosing between styles and rarity and you can create your own style. You can also promote your outfit and it's here I also notice that you get a lot of messages from the social bunny app, all my three sims have gotten loads of messages from their contacts which is kinda cool, it gives the sims a bit more character even though I suspect the messages are pretty random and it might get repetitive after a while.

I also tried making friends with Kevin and I did not have much trouble at all... he did not fail every interaction like I have seen from other videos, he even managed to be friends with Yuki Behr and ask her to go to prom as friends. I also took some selfies with them and the new selfie pictures are pretty nice. I also tried the new Boba Tea and... yeah it's a new drinking animation...cool...I guess.

As it's getting closer to prom I get an invite from Molly (the principals daughter) that she wants to have a small party before prom, I select yes and go to her place with a bunch of teens. At her place I don't even find her, and sims just seemed to hang around and not do much, they also stayed there for only 2 min before they all left, I also notice later that Molly was just working out in the basement.

I go back home and I want to prepare Kevin for prom, I tell him to shave and the new shaving animations are pretty nice, I did notice though that the body hair did not look very good, the leg hair looks like drawn lines. I put him on a new outfit and I assume it's time for prom. I check the calendar and it's about to start, I save my game and...

nothing, no prom starts, confused I check again, nope, no prom. I'm not sure if it's because I started on friday? maybe a whole week need to pass in order to to prom? I proceed by calling Yuki over and then they sit down and watch TV.

My general impressions right now is that the presentation and the design of the pack is actually not too bad... a lot of new animations, new items, new voice lines but the gameplay, the inner workings, feels rough and I'm not sure for how long one would like to visit the high school until this will start to feel repetitive.

I started on a Sunday and the following Saturday prom didn't start for me either. There is a bug report about this issue, they believe that it is caused by other events being planned on the same day as prom, I had an event from Get Famous that was scheduled the same day. This is very disappointing to me, as the same events automatically schedule themselves every week with no way to cancel them. I hope they include a fix for this in the next patch, whenever that may be. I hope the graduation ceremony isn't affected like this, but considering it is in the same place, I am not holding my breath.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    Okay after calming down, I went back and tried a few more things and it still refused to work so I'm giving up on the Sneak Out interaction. I'm done. Shouldn't have to do a bunch of Tetris with ladders and windows just to get one interaction to work. If I continue, I'm going to end up rage quitting for good. Unfortunately this means one of the teen's aspirations is completely useless to me, the one that requires sneaking out, because in my game, it's not possible and I am f'ing done trying.

This broken pack. Anyone who is on the fence about buying this pack, I recommend NOT to, unless you want to get frustrated by interactions that they made a big deal about not actually working.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Okay after calming down, I went back and tried a few more things and it still refused to work so I'm giving up on the Sneak Out interaction. I'm done. Shouldn't have to do a bunch of Tetris with ladders and windows just to get one interaction to work. If I continue, I'm going to end up rage quitting for good. Unfortunately this means one of the teen's aspirations is completely useless to me, the one that requires sneaking out, because in my game, it's not possible and I am f'ing done trying.

This broken pack. Anyone who is on the fence about buying this pack, I recommend NOT to, unless you want to get frustrated by interactions that they made a big deal about not actually working.

Do you have to use the window to sneak out? I thought you needed a Sim to invite you to sneak out, but when that happens, you can use a door as well as the window. You might be more likely to be caught though. I may be wrong about this, but I could swear I saw it in one of the early access videos.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Ugh...

I have over a dozen teen sims that I would love to see at Copperdale High, but first day, not a single one.
    I just get these random homeless spawns and Molly.
    07-29-22_9-02-09_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The two at the lockers are mine.
    07-29-22_9-40-07_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I guess this is fine if you play only one household and don't care about the rest of the world.
    07-29-22_9-54-12_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But I play rotationally and put a lot of time and effort in other households.
    To have none of them show up reduces the usefulness of this pack.
    07-29-22_9-51-39_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I hope my other sims show up, but there should be a 20/80 rule in favor of sims living in households over random homeless spawns.

I think it would been better if we had an option to decided to wish team's go to the school.
  • Options
    AriShaiSimsAriShaiSims Posts: 1 New Member
    Umm.. Can we please tone down the prom days, why is it every Saturday, Yes in American high schools we have multiple dances but it'd be better to see those instead of just prom and more spaced out, like winter dance in winter, homecoming in spring or a week after your new teen starts school, prom in the summer.

I also think we should have active school activities, or at least sports, instead of rabbit holes. Cheer and football practice being at the high school lot, and even adding another sport like basketball, swim, band or so at least. Then maybe incorporating this into the university pack.

The pack is okay but the trailer definitely overhyped it and its a bit disappointing that we've kinda been shorted in this pack...
  • Options
    thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    edited July 2022
    Were you able to do things in class at TS3:University's buildings? I vaguely remember there being an interaction or two to do stuff.

I kind of feel bad for the devs -- I know you guys are trying your best and I know you can't tell us everything that goes on. I suspect the devs are well aware that TS4 has limitations due to the engine it was built on -- and, more recently -- the fact that said engine is being overloaded with packs.
    I don't think it's negligence on the devs' part. I think it's that they're being pressured to put out more content by corporate to make more and more money. If it sells, that's all that matters to corporate. And since corporate doesn't "create" these games, the execs probably allow the blame to fall on the devs' hands when they're given projects that will most likely fail due to technical limitations.

Hmmmm..... Well, regardless, gurus, thank you for working on TS4 and providing it more content. I can't imagine what sort of people and politics you have to deal with in secrecy. It can't be easy for you, but I personally still enjoy TS4 and I love seeing new content of any shape. :)<3
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited July 2022
    Gordy wrote: »
    [*] Outside of class, your day consists of doing homework, talking to others, eating or exercising - stuff you already do in the base game all the time, except now they're making you do it.

Speaking of which... in every gamechanger video I've seen so far, including all of the James Turner series, which is now up to seven videos, exercising is a daily task every single day. What on earth?

(1) I don't want every single sim I have 'roiding out on the weight machines every single day just so they can get a decent grade in school. I don't really see any reason for my chess club captain or frail goth kid to end up with maxed out fitness skill and muscles like The Rock.

(2) Who here worked out at school during their breaks? I'm guessing the folks who were on athletic teams, and literally no one else. I used exercise equipment at school a grand total of zero times ever during my four years of high school. No, I stand corrected: one day in freshman year health class, we used the weight room (in the teacher's words, "so you all will at least know where it is." And that was indeed the last time I ever passed through the doors of that room.

I would roll my eyes at this being a daily task even if it were only once a week, but like I said, it's been every day in every video I've watched.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    The sims 4's code was very likely written for always online multiplayer before they changed it to single player. I think it still has those multiplayer codes. For massively online multiplayer games the money is made from DLCs and not from just the monthly fee to play them. I think the sims' core code is more robust than people realize and like the devs say, it can take years more of content.

If it was the sims 1-3, yes the code would be suffering because of the single player code limits. They didn't scrap the original multiplayer code in the sims 4, they adjusted it for single player, but the multiplayer code is still in the game. That's why the game has limits because of the multiplayer codes, but I also think it can take a lot more DLCs, like the devs say it can.
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »
    [*] Outside of class, your day consists of doing homework, talking to others, eating or exercising - stuff you already do in the base game all the time, except now they're making you do it.

Speaking of which... in every gamechanger video I've seen so far, including all of the James Turner series, which is now up to seven videos, exercising is a daily task every single day. What on earth?

(1) I don't want every single sim I have 'roiding out on the weight machines every single day just so they can get a decent grade in school. I don't really see any reason for my chess club captain or frail goth kid to end up with maxed out fitness skill and muscles like The Rock.

(2) Who here worked out at school during their breaks? I'm guessing the folks who were on athletic teams, and literally no one else. I used exercise equipment at school a grand total of zero times ever during my four years of high school. No, I stand corrected: one day in freshman year health class, we used the weight room (in the teacher's words, "so you all will at least know where it is." And that was indeed the last time I ever passed through the doors of that room.

I would roll my eyes at this being a daily task even if it were only once a week, but like I said, it's been every day in every video I've watched.

When I was in school, and mind you I graduated in 1986, we had gym class everyday. I hated it, and my sims hate the exercise task everyday also. I can see maybe once or twice a week, but not everyday.
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    Just looked at the HSY's picture thread. The photo booth has the romantic poses I wanted from the Moschino Stuff pack. So after 3 packs (including base game) related to in-game photography they finally made it work. Fingers crossed for a patch to add the photo booth to the BG someday. Like they did with Get to Work's photography studio.
  • Options
    lunaoddity wrote: »
    Just looked at the HSY's picture thread. The photo booth has the romantic poses I wanted from the Moschino Stuff pack. So after 3 packs (including base game) related to in-game photography they finally made it work. Fingers crossed for a patch to add the photo booth to the BG someday. Like they did with Get to Work's photography studio.

I just wish the photos from the photo booth were bigger.
  • Options
    gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    Are the shadows still really dark at mid-day in Copperdale like in the early access or was this fixed? Can someone with the pack answer this please :smile:
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

• Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited July 2022
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    lunaoddity wrote: »

I just wish the photos from the photo booth were bigger.

Did you try resizing the photos using the Shift + ] keys? Though I guess that could make the image blurry.
  • Options
    BooDaBoo5BooDaBoo5 Posts: 253 Member
    gc6164 wrote: »
    Are the shadows still really dark at mid-day in Copperdale like in the early access or was this fixed? Can someone with the pack answer this please :smile:

I have only been in build mode so far, but they do seem quite dark. :neutral:
  • Options
    SorwaitteSorwaitte Posts: 11 New Member
    > @EnkiSchmidt said:
    > They really have a talent for combining features I want (cheerleading in this case) with things I refuse to let near my game without a mod to take care of them (in this case curfew and detention). Curfew was a Parenthood feature and in fully the hands of the parents, now it looks like it's getting reintroduced as a default state. Curfew and hall pass are two concepts that are abit "too american" for my taste. I get why they're are in effect (and for added realism they should have allowed our cop sims to patrol the school grounds, but I suppose that doesn't fit the feel good atmosphere of the game), but they do not reflect my own childhood at all.
    >
    > The gameplay also seems very teen centric, I had hoped we could actively play our teacher sims, too.

Well, the teaching career was part of the Discover University expansion if I remember correctly and the different levels carry you through all kinds of teaching (substitute, kindergarten, professor, etc) so playing a teacher in this High School pack would require a reworking of the structure of how that career functions.
  • Options
    SorwaitteSorwaitte Posts: 11 New Member
    So...if this particular thread is still alive...am I the only one a little disappointed with how small the unoccupied residential lots are?
  • Options
    gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    BooDaBoo5 wrote: »
    gc6164 wrote: »

I have only been in build mode so far, but they do seem quite dark. :neutral:

Ahh that's disappointing, its so jarring to look at.
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top