Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2022
    Concerning popups how this takes me back. I was on an island, a lone wolf, preaching about moodlets, buffs, Texts instead of simulation, and Popups. That was my TS3 days. I was warning, begging, pleading, no, just no...but everyone was like go away, we love TS3's moodlets, buffs, text instead of gameplay/simulation. And here we are.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    They could've given us a balloon dart game (we already have the dart throwing animation), a ring toss game (we already have the horseshoe throwing animation), and the fishbowl ping pong game (we already have the juice pong animation). Would it have been too hard to animate one of those games where you shoot water into the clowns mouth until the balloon pops? I'm just thinking of things that would've been more interesting to look at than the outside of a building.

This would've been so cool 😭 While I'm not as disappointed about the rabbit hole rides as a lot of people (it's fine for the dark room rides IMO but I would've at least have liked to see my sims in the ferris wheel and then it fogs up when woo-hooing), it would've been a great time to add carnival games. Especially, like you said, it would've been really easy for them to make them out of reused animations (even though I lament all of the reused animations, these ones work in this scenario). It would've been cute to be able to win prizes, especially if your sim is on a date. What's a date at the fair without winning a cheap little plush for your partner? Then there could've been fail states as well to make it more interesting. Maybe with higher skills they have a higher chance of winning, and a sim with lower skills would have to practice to finally win?

I'm getting too into this idea 😔 But yeah, this would've been great. I wonder if they thought about it at all? Now I'm sad again about the careers we're getting for the umpteenth time. Really wish that development went elsewhere.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,535 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Concerning popups how this takes me back. I was on an island, a lone wolf, preaching about moodlets, buffs, Texts instead of simulation, and Popups. That was my TS3 days. I was warning, begging, pleading, no, just no...but everyone was like go away, we love TS3's moodlets, buffs, text instead of gameplay/simulation. And here we are.

I generally like moodlets as a feature. I think they were done fairly well in the Sims 3.

In the Sims 4 however I think there is to much focus on them to the point where content is being design specifically around adding more of them, I don't particularly like that approach. I would rather see how my sims feel through their actions.

The popups I find irritating and that we have started seeing more of lately are the ones where sims disappear into rabbit holes and we just read about what's happening in there. This is horrible game design, it is completely boring to keep repeating the same few dialogues over and over and over again. I don't know who at Maxis thinks that this is acceptable gameplay but please rethink because it's not at all. It's cheap, lazy game design and quite frankly it's disappointing considering how much money is made from this franchise.

I think most people would like to PLAY the game not READ it.

I like TS3 Moodlets too.
    Some simmers saw them as an artificial emotions, telling sims WHAT to feel.

I saw them as telling you WHY they are feeling the way they are feeling; usually multiple reasons.
    If you see your sim as angry, you wouldn't know what made them angry if it wasn't for the moodlet.
    Especially if they were out of sight when the incident happened, and you might not know that they are angry over something that happen an hour ago. So for me, moodlets are essential, otherwise you would just be guessing as why they are feeling the way they are.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    CK213 wrote: »
    I like TS3 Moodlets too.
    Some simmers saw them as an artificial emotions, telling sims WHAT to feel.

I saw them as telling you WHY they are feeling the way they are feeling; usually multiple reasons.
    If you see your sim as angry, you wouldn't know what made them angry if it wasn't for the moodlet.
    Especially if they were out of sight when the incident happened, and you might not know that they are angry over something that happen an hour ago. So for me, moodlets are essential, otherwise you would just be guessing as why they are feeling the way they are.

There's a couple reasons why the moodlets worked in TS3 but not so much in TS4 (IMO). One reason is because moodlets were totaled into a cumulative score. So your sim may be feeling a range of positive and negative emotions, but they didn't flip between them in the way they do in TS4. In TS4, not only can your sim flip between moods at any moment, it's much harder to maintain negative emotions because negative emotions don't stack while positive ones do, leading to an imbalance of happy sims. Since TS3 moodlets were totaled into an average mood, it made for much more emotionally consistent sims. I think if TS4 implemented a mood meter like TS3's, it would be a huge improvement. They act like sims before TS4 lacked emotions, which just isn't true! They need to step away from the emotion system they created for TS4 and look back at how emotions were handled in previous gens.

Another reason moodlets work in TS3 and less so in TS4, is because traits actually mean something in TS3. Your sims aren't dictated by their emotions in the way they are in TS4. Traits in TS3 were both powerful and plentiful, and led to some really unique sims. They were still impacted by their emotions, but they weren't dictated by them. And based on their traits may handle certain experiences differently. In TS4, all sims feel the same because the traits are weak, and half of them are just lifestyles and not behaviors (likes the outdoors, vegetarian, likes cats/dogs, etc. as opposed to traits like jealous or loner). So when you couple weak or almost useless traits with a system of emotions that dictates your sims behavior, that can also flip on a dime depending on how decorated or clean their space is, it makes for a really boring experience where none of your sims act in unique ways. The only thing that's really helped this at all for me in TS4 are the character values from Parenthood, since it impacts both autonomous behavior and emotions. Unfortunately, it only applies once your sim ages into a young adult.

I didn't start playing TS3 until pretty recently. But going into it after spending years with TS4, I realized that at least some of my major problems with TS4 wouldn't actually be all that impossible to solve. I think better and stronger traits, plus a way to average out a sims mood, would completely change the game. There would still be other problems of course, but I think these two things alone would be a HUGE improvement.

I know the team has been pretty adamant about the way traits and moods are currently handled. They made a big marketing campaign over the emotion system, they've been pretty defensive about the maximum 3 traits creating "more unique sims" (which I find kind of laughable). But it'd be nice if they could really re-examine these systems and realize why they just don't work, and commit to fixing them. I mean they finally gave us wants and fears, and I honestly wasn't ever expecting them to do that after they abandoned whims. But from what I've noticed so far from early access footage, is that a lot of sims seem to be getting the same fear of unfulfilled dreams or whatever it is, which is making me nervous that the wants and fears system will be held back by the fact that sims really just don't behave all that differently from each other.

The team has been listening to us about the sims just not feeling all that unique or interesting, with the sentiments and lifestyles, and now wants and fears. And while these things have definitely been steps in the right direction, I don't think they'll ever fully improve sim individuality until they go back and fix traits and emotions. It's the bedrock of our boring sims.

OOF, didn't mean to write an essay here, I just feel really strongly about traits and emotions. As soon as I played TS3, it kind of gave me an epiphany about how obvious the solution to these problems are. I really feel like TS3 and TS4 aren't all that different honestly. Playing TS3 actually gave me a little hope for the salvaging of sims in TS4.

• Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,237 Member
    Completely agree regarding the walls of text and pop ups. Nobody enjoys this. It was the same with the tunnels in werewolves, just text to read.
    It's incredibly lazy.

I think for the after school activities I'll set up rooms in the school, art, science etc and using clubs will try to get my teens there actually doing things. That's assuming the school building is open after school hours.
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    sireneiles wrote: »
    And it makes me unconfortable when people all over internet are getting hysteric over "bobas" (?). This is embarassing. We need to have higher standards. But they wont do anything if we get excited over virtual food that we have to pay 40 (Fourty) dollars of our pockets.

Yes. Getting excited over Boba tea that you could've had in your game with a mod/custom content. My sims have had Boba for awhile now. They also have super cute diner style milkshakes because I wanted my sims to be able to have a milkshake while at a diner. It's sad that the people being paid to develop these games are so far behind the modding/custom content community. And sometimes, they don't even do as good of a job as the people who do it for free.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,024 Member
    Watched Sim Supply's new video. Another pop-up came up, same issues as usual. But this time, another sim got a sentiment about his sim, for helping him out. Except that sim wasn't even in his classroom.

Also, I don't know if this is the case with other peoples' videos, but his sim seems to be stuck at High School C Student, no matter how well he does. It's possible sims don't get promoted if they attend active school.
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Gordy wrote: »
    Watched Sim Supply's new video. Another pop-up came up, same issues as usual. But this time, another sim got a sentiment about his sim, for helping him out. Except that sim wasn't even in his classroom.

Also, I don't know if this is the case with other peoples' videos, but his sim seems to be stuck at High School C Student, no matter how well he does. It's possible sims don't get promoted if they attend active school.

I'm pretty sure simsie also had the stuck at C student problem 😕 They still have the early-early access, right? When do they get the regular early access? I've been watching a lot of game changer vids (which is something I don't do too much outside of a couple of them) to try and see how the pack functions and where it's broken. I'm curious to see what is a product of the super early release and what we will have to deal with upon actual release...
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I would really like to see their videos with other packs installed. I have gotten no answers on what the game uses to decide what teens show up at the school - does it favor played vs unplayed, housed vs unhoused, my households vs other households? And with only the base game plus the new pack it's kind of hard to determine. Maybe if they had all the Fyres and Munch and Talla and Charm and etc teens to pull from you'd get a better idea.

In my ideal world, once you played a sim at Copperdale high they'd be the top choice to show up on the lot when you're playing other households, and played sims you didn't ever play there wouldn't show up so that Sulani and Mt Komorebi teens could be kept out. But that is probably more discerning than the game will manage.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    edited July 2022

That sim also proposed to his sim to go to prom with him, except his sim didn't even know him. He had not even interacted with that sim except for that pop-up message.

It feels like these pop-up messages are not even part of the actual game they are playing.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    logion wrote: »

That sim also proposed to his sim to go to prom with him, except his sim didn't even know him. He had not even interacted with that sim except for that pop-up message.

It feels like these pop-up messages are not even part of the actual game they are playing.
    To be fair it was similar in Sims 3, you would sometimes get asked to prom by Sims your Sim doesn't even know. Then again Sims 3 didn't have an active school so it's different.
  • Options
    Watched some more early access videos today and it definitely seems like whoever shows up to school each day is completely random, so that's frustrating. I hope there's at least going to be a way to get specific sims to show up maybe if you play a day with them through the school. It's weird to have all these townies that barely show up half the time in favor of randomly generated teens.

Also I've seen at least 3 randomly spawned teens with grey hair 😐 I know white hair was a bit of a trend at least a few years ago, but since the teen sims already look like adults, it just looks like there are elders attending high school...

I was planning on making some teen sims to help populate the rest of the school, but it seems kind of pointless at the moment.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    lexibee wrote: »
    Watched some more early access videos today and it definitely seems like whoever shows up to school each day is completely random, so that's frustrating. I hope there's at least going to be a way to get specific sims to show up maybe if you play a day with them through the school. It's weird to have all these townies that barely show up half the time in favor of randomly generated teens.

Also I've seen at least 3 randomly spawned teens with grey hair 😐 I know white hair was a bit of a trend at least a few years ago, but since the teen sims already look like adults, it just looks like there are elders attending high school...

I was planning on making some teen sims to help populate the rest of the school, but it seems kind of pointless at the moment.
    This is truly my biggest issue with this pack did they really think players would want random Sims showing up to class every day instead of the Sims they are actively playing with and have stories they want to see in the game. They could have added a club like system for high school and allowed you to pick who attends it seems so obvious that should have been done but corners are always cut they really hate allowing us to have control over our own game.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    edited July 2022
    Felicity wrote: »
    cyncie wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Because that is how it is in real life .Its true they are no male cheerleading squads.Because most guys are not interested in cheerleading.

This is... not true at all, actually. There are plenty of male cheerleaders IRL, at both the high school and collegiate level. And before anyone starts bellyaching about "woke" this and "woke" that, it's far from a new phenomenon. Consider the actual history of cheerleading:

https://historydaily.org/cheerleading-was-all-male-until-the-20th-century

The collegiate cheer squad with the most US national championships is The University of Kentucky. It started as an all male squad, went coed in the 30’s and has been that way ever since. Cheer, by the way, is real athletics.
    High school cheer squads in the past have been stereotypically female, and have been stereotypically about the popular girls rah-rah-ing the team and the crowd while dating the football captain. But, while a lot of teams are female only, teams have become more coed as high school cheering has become more of a sport in its own right.

Cheerleading has always (and I'm old) been a serious sport. Group gymnastics and dance. It's been dismissed not because it's a trivial sport, but for other reasons.

That said, no marching band/color guard removes probably the biggest population of sports kids from the equation. No theater kids makes me sad. I didn't see anything that looked like a student council nor anything that looked like activism which were both pretty major in my school. This pack reminds me of what old people think the high school experience should be, forgetting that it's not the experience for the vast majority.

Ah well, with each pack, if I get excited for them I am disappointed, but most of them remind me that I'm just not the target audience. This one is an easy pass. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I'll watch quite a few lets plays first.

Edit: Are spoiler tags broken? I tried to spoiler out the video.

Yeah, I’m old, and this pack ( cheerleading and football ) does remind me what high school was like when I was young, but to be honest, I don’t remember any boys in the cheerleading team at my youngest daughters high school either, although I have seen them in competitions. I think the high school years pack is a blend of old and new. I say this because the pack trailer has a lot of same sex relationships…… in my day no one came out if they did like the same sex. I like that the base game is coming out with a way that we can choose the preferred relationship gender and stuff in the basegame, and it seems to have quite a few options. Our sims can finally be as we pictured them to be…..
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Having only clubs for cheerleading, football, chess and computers really leave nothing for the more artsy students. We'd probably have to use Get Together to make any other kinds of clubs.

Yeah, I was thinking of adding a music, and arts club, maybe even debate, drama and robotics….
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2022

Just watched Plumbella's review and she said that a student sim that she made an effort with was failing school while another student sim that she paid no attention to was passing their classes. It seems to make no sense, I hope it's just a glitch and that it will be fixed before release.
  • Options
    DarrenDarren Posts: 129 Member
    All those videos were recorded at the beginning of the month, so there is a little hope that some bugs have been fixed by now. But all of them? I doubt it.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I'm curious as to why they decided against the High School/Auditorium being lot types you could use anywhere.

Since the football field and the running track are purely decorative, it just doesn't seem like there's a good reason for players to not be able to make schools in any world they want. Surely the new "events" where your sim takes selfies in front of a backdrop could have been held in the auditorium like career days.

I guess at least it's consistent with the poor choice to restrict Hospital/Police Station/Science Lab lot locations.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2022
    I will get the pack but there are definitely things I don't like about it. The simfluencer and streamer careers are kinda easy for them to make because the animations for that stuff are basically just more of the same - sitting at the computer, looking at clothes, and (no animations required here) using the phone to do stuff. So I'd love to say I wish they'd spent those resources on active after school activities but tbf, I don't think that many resources were required to make these careers in the 1st place. And that prioritization issue is, as we all know, just a general problem with TS4. Sooo much focus on trendy influencer plum - and while that was super fun in GF, where it fit, it kinda gets old seeing it reappear in so many packs.

I would much rather have had active cheering / football classes, bands (because school woulda been a great opportunity to build that in), different types of classes (computer, art, etc), or at the very least interactions for the active classes that exist. A focus on more artsy activities woulda been nice too. Unfortunately, this is just what TS4 is like and always will be like. Now, I do really want more to do for my teens and there are also many things I like about this pack, but I wish they'd step up their game a little and leverage the opportunities of 2022 game development but hey, not this iteration. And given how EA is, probably not any iteration. I already skip a lot of packs, and my gut tells me I might be skipping TS5 altogether unless (or until) they get their act together.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,910 Member
    lexibee wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure simsie also had the stuck at C student problem 😕 They still have the early-early access, right? When do they get the regular early access?

Regular early access starts tomorrow, Tuesday 7/26. Embargo lifts on Wednesday, 7/27. Not sure how long before you'll see videos with all packs installed.
  • Options
    DiassaDiassa Posts: 156 Member
    edited July 2022
    I just watched recent James Turner video and before that I thought that T-posing was a bug. But... it is a feature? This is so stupid! Who does that and why?? I am too old for this, I never heard even from my son about it.
    Speaking of which, before this pack we didn't even know what "prom" is, nor boba tea. We don't have such things here and I have never seen this tea, even in UK. This pack is sooo American...
      The Sages appreciation club
    RcdS04K.jpg
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,205 Member
    Diassa wrote: »
    I just watched recent James Turner video and before that I thought that T-posing was a bug. But... it is a feature? This is so stupid! Who does that and why?? I am too old for this, I never heard even from my son about it.
    Speaking of which, before this pack we didn't even know what "prom" is, nor boba tea. We don't have such things here and I have never seen this tea, even in UK. This pack is sooo American...

What's wrong with it being American?Was cottage living too uk?
  • Options
    DiassaDiassa Posts: 156 Member
    Diassa wrote: »

What's wrong with it being American?Was cottage living too uk?

Because I don't understand 90% of content there.
    Cottage living was universal, because many countries have villages with cottages and farmlands which look very similar to CL EP.
      The Sages appreciation club
    RcdS04K.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top