Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which design aspect are you better or more comfortable with?

Comments

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Exterior
    I do both, but exteriors are a breeze for me compared to interiors.
    I am more concerned with the organization of the interior spaces more than I am with the stuff that goes in it.

Interiors are like a roller coaster ride.
    It takes a while to climb up that first peak, full of anxiety, and then the rest is enjoyable when I get going.
    Or horrible, if it just isn't coming together.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Interior
    Interior - I know in advance how many rooms I need which determines the size of the house or venue that I'm building. I also check traffic patterns so Sims can move around freely. Clutter and decorations are usually kept to a minimum because I don't like a lot of clutter IRL.

I can handle landscaping fine but roofing is sometimes my downfall. I just finished editing the Straud Mansion again trying to keep as much of the original build as I could because I like how it looks at night. The roof is still a mess.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,927 Member
    Landscaping
    I love making detailed gardens, for example.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited July 2022
    Landscaping
    @SimplyJen I like your point about looking at the surrounding neighborhood when you get ready to landscape your lot. I do that too--I'll usually use at least one of the types of trees you find in the "unplayed" area. I might add a shade tree that would thrive in the environment of the world I'm building in, something the Sim family might have chosen to plant.

I'll often put some "wild" plants, similar to the ones in the common area, in the portion of the yard farthest from the house and try to blend them with what's growing on the other side of the boundary. Garden areas that are closer to the house, or that make up the garden of the Sims who live there, might be anything, because the resident Sims would have planted them.

Now I'm tempted to plop a 20x15 house onto a really big lot and create a massive garden like the one my wife's parents have. Since they're retired and healthy, they have the time and energy to care for it.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Exterior
    CK213 wrote: »
    I do both, but exteriors are a breeze for me compared to interiors.
    I am more concerned with the organization of the interior spaces more than I am with the stuff that goes in it.

Interiors are like a roller coaster ride.
    It takes a while to climb up that first peak, full of anxiety, and then the rest is enjoyable when I get going.
    Or horrible, if it just isn't coming together.

Well said. Exterior is mainly for "looks". Interior is far more complicated because in addition to 'looks' it has to be functional. Even now I'm still messing around with the interior of a house to get it smoothly functional. (And of-course, nice looking too.)
    Because of this I've been partially neglecting the exterior. And the landscaping, to be honest.

This is a re-build of my very first building ever in Sims4 that was lost when all saves were lost a few months ago now.
    I'm going similar to what I had before, but the thing is it was always constantly evolving. So now with my experience, doing it similar but more evolved again. Still changing it a piece at a time.

So probably what I'm most "Comfortable" with is exterior, (including landscaping). That's why I voted "Exterior"

(Interior is the most rewarding though when it looks cool and functions well at the same time! In my opinion. But often exterior is combined with interior for function, for my builds. And the landscape, especially with the cottage living pack)

And I'll stop ranting now... :D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Exterior
    As long as I have a template, that is.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Interior
    I'm actually about the same with interior/exterior.....which still isn't very good lol
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    Interior
    I've actually gotten better at the outside but I can't start the outside without a floor plan so I don't have oddly shaped homes. I rely on French colonial and other very rectangle/ square exteriors with nice porches and such. I can't just build a shell and expect the floor plan to pan out... at all.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Interior
    duriankind wrote: »
    I’m definitely better at interior overall, I think. I do fancy myself a decent builder and I’ve built some houses that I’m genuinely proud of, however I know I’m nowhere near the level of a lot of people out there who make legitimately jaw-dropping and creative exteriors with amazing landscaping, lol. Landscaping in particular I’m god-awful at, I always save that part in my builds for last and dread it, haha.

How did you make your gallery page and the link to it? Love your builds, by the way.
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Exterior
    Definitely enjoy doing the exterior the most despite often feeling restricted on door and window choices.

I'd give myself a passing grade on interiors, I get the essentials in but often forget things like dressers in the bedrooms and am adverse to clutter.

When it comes to landscaping, "Wah! Do I HAVE to?!"
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    duriankindduriankind Posts: 62 Member
    Interior
    @catmando830 Oh wow thank you so much! That means a lot. For my signature, I pressed the "." and the windows key to pull up the emoji keyboard (I'm on a windows laptop obvs) and from there I looked through the symbols tab until I found one that looked nice. From there, I inserted that symbol a few times to form a nice border. Then I centered all of the text and put the link in between the borders. 😊 (hopefully that makes sense! it's kind of hard to explain!)
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
    check out my gallery page
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited July 2022
    I don’t mean to sound cocky but I love each design aspect equally and I’m extremely comfortable with doing all of them.
    • First I build the shell. If the ground needs to be sculpted e.g. with hills, ponds or sinkholes or whatever, I’ll start with creating a rough landscape and modifying it while building the exterior. The build needs to match the surrounding landscape.
    • Interior is next. Routing and functionality is the most important aspect here. I will always try to work as detailed as possible, without sacrificing functionality. I strive to create exciting indoor ( and outdoor) areas with specific functions and stories in mind.
    • Landscaping is the final touch. I can spend hours painting and working with stones, trees, flowers and items from the debug catalogue. For me the landscape needs to look as natural and exciting as possible. It really bothers me when I see amazing builds with no thoughts given to landscaping and I notice that very few simmers actually care about that part, whereas I feel this is what finishes the build. Often the landscape is what gives the overall structure balance and character.

Edit: I’m saying I’m extremely comfortable working with all aspects, that doesn’t mean my builds are any good. 😆
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    Interior
    I'm terrible with exteriors and landscaping.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited July 2022
    Interior
    I don't build that often, but when I do, the exterior of a building tends to be fairly uniform. Individual rooms can be more distinct so I have more experience with interiors. I also try not to use too many objects, so I cut back a bit on my exteriors/landscaping. I make the buildings as big as I want and inside I put as many objects as I want, but outside I try to be fairly reasonable.

Nothing is new, but some interiors/exteriors for reference.
    Interiors
    k7XLIOO.jpg
    2To1q8A.jpg
    TMDdZsO.jpg
    gCOm46F.jpg
    KkDn4wQ.jpg

Exteriors
    B8VP7Rl.jpg
    w5lm7nB.jpg
    1i1iefH.jpg
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Interior
    In terms of building, choosing the interior design to suit my Sims is my favorite, which is why I was hoping the active career in Dream Home Decorator would be more in-depth.
  • Options
    Interior
    haneul wrote: »
    I don't build that often, but when I do, the exterior of a building tends to be fairly uniform. Individual rooms can be more distinct so I have more experience with interiors. I also try not to use too many objects, so I cut back a bit on my exteriors/landscaping. I make the buildings as big as I want and inside I put as many objects as I want, but outside I try to be fairly reasonable.

Nothing is new, but some interiors/exteriors for reference.
    Interiors
    k7XLIOO.jpg
    2To1q8A.jpg
    TMDdZsO.jpg
    gCOm46F.jpg
    KkDn4wQ.jpg

Exteriors
    B8VP7Rl.jpg
    w5lm7nB.jpg
    1i1iefH.jpg

Very nice builds!
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Interior
    I hate building but I don't mind the decorating part so much. I usually just re-furnish EA lots or get shells from the gallery.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Interior
    I downloaded a whole bunch of lots to redecorate.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Landscaping
    They're all about equal for me... so I don't actually know. Interiors can be rather fun and relaxing, but only if I truly know the sims living there, otherwise it's kind of... eh??
    See, I often tend to do builds that I just intend to put on the gallery, so I don't always know what sims will be living there in the first place, and in that case I just tend to go for a random interior style in colors I find nice. Picking a theme that suits the rest of the build.

Exteriors can be alright. It's just about messing with shapes. Honestly I'd place that on my bottom tier, it doesn't do much for me, and I find I have the most fun when trying to recreate the exterior of a real house.

Landscaping is what pulls the whole thing together, though. I actually enjoy it. I like leaving a whole bunch of plants and rocks all over the place, arranged in a way that's aesthetically pleasing yet natural-looking, and not to mention PONDS. I love ponds. Got a huge bias for ponds. So landscaping just makes the whole build feel more... ALIVE. You know? It can do a lot for the vibes of the place.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    BlackGirl73BlackGirl73 Posts: 66 Member
    Interior
    I'm completely an interior builder, my houses totally lack a suitable garden. Maybe a fence and a few trees, but I can't build "pretty", everything is functionally. :#
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I'm comfortable with all three areas now.... but that's only been in the last few years.

With Sims 2 and 3, it used to be all about the interior design for me, so that's what I got really good at. But with the Sims 4, I find myself spending a lot of time with the exteriors and landscaping and thoroughly enjoying it. I think it might be because building in Sims 2/3 was absolutely horrendous and a pain in the derriere, so I just stuck to the interiors mostly and never really bothered investing my time and effort on the exteriors. Whereas with the Sims 4, the build mode tools are so much easier to work with, therefore it makes working on exteriors and landscaping that much more enjoyable than previously.

And when TwistedMexi came out with his Better BuildBuy mod, I started spending more time in debug/live edit and discovered a whole new world of awesome debug landscaping items that I couldn't be bothered looking through before (because it was such an unorganized mess). That was a total game changer for me. I found myself having a blast creating interesting landscapes around my builds with all the debug items.... there's a treasure trove of stuff in there. :smiley:
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    Landscaping

I love landscaping and find it super relaxing. I don’t know if I’m any good at it, but I enjoy it just the same! If I were a sim, I would definitely have the ‘Loves the Outdoors’ trait.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    edited August 2022
    Exterior
    I don't enjoy dividing up interiors, I frequently get it wrong and furnishing isn't much fun for me. I can do it but I find it a drawn out process. I think I do a reasonable job of landscaping and have improved.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Interior
    Interior. I love building and 90% of the time when I play I am building, I love it but I am a much better interior design person than build or exterior design. That said, I enjoy Building the best, exterior 2nd and interior 3rd.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    AliraAlira Posts: 169 Member
    Interior
    Interior is definitely easier to do than exterior. Last time i tried to do Asian restaurant I did not have my choices for the roof or columns.
    tumblr_lmunod9VCw1qhfp08o1_500.gif