Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you buying High School Years ?

Comments

• Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I'll buy it, probably the day it's released.

Yes, it's filled with American high school tropes and clichés. But, when you think about it, much of the Sims universe is filled with tropes and clichés. Since so much of the game is customizable, from lots to Sims, you can choose to "play up" or "play down" the clichés. You can embrace the premades, or you can banish them and fill your high school with your own cast of Teens.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    bluelightingbluelighting Posts: 704 Member
    No
    to much like university which i already own, and never play it, now if they had a pool table i might teconsider
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    I so love the 1980s stuff with the Sims 3 Generations gameplay. Also, so looking forward to another new world. :pB)
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    Undecided
    Need to see more of the build items, as the shown gameplay doesn't interest me. I have Discover University, kids and teens already do after school activities and homework, can already do prank stuff (not that I let them), and I can't be bothered to see the sprogs at school anyway. I send them there to get rid of them for the day, I don't want to go with them!

Also, it's very American and I am not, and my initial reaction was that I really don't do the excessive stereotype thing. However, after that initial reaction, I'm thinking whilst it's true on one hand American school stuff doesn't interest me, on the other, I don't think it's out of place either, considering maps like Strangerville. I reckon I could do builds and gameplay stuff interconnecting Strangerville and the school stuff if I put my mind to it. Plus the werewolf in my current save is also a teen cheerleader type, so I think there could be scope there. I want to know if I can make my own amusement park and if it can be a dilapidated horror fest. I will definitely pre-order if that's the case. The vampires need a little fun in the Hollow, and all.

So, I will wait for more info before deciding.

Happy for everyone who fell in joy and love for it already though. <3
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited June 2022
    Undecided
    The trailer looks cool, but I bet it's gonna be buggy and not at all like this in game. Plus I hate school, both studying and the idea of following my sims to active classes. Forcing them to do university homework is boring enough :D So perhaps, if the after-school events, cas and bb are worth it.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    Most likely no, unless live stream or early access uncovers something earth shattering for the gameplay. If pillow fighting is real that was good, as well as cheerleaders stuff. Except for that, let’s be honest, sims were just bouncing around, dancing and making weird faces. Hard to say how much gameplay is there.

Also this high school seems to be 100% what I remember from movies about USA. I never went to school in USA and the topic of being cheerleader, football star or dreaming to become the most popular kid is alien to me. If I was 20 years younger, I would probably vibe with it. But I’m happy for people who remember their school that way and want sims to experience this as well.

I feel in a similar way about the teen culture stuff (I'm British). I grew up in an era when those stereotypes were heavily reinforced through popular culture here in the UK even though they weren't quite the same, and being "different" was laughed at whereas now difference is much more celebrated. However, I think it could be fun to sometimes play those things, because I never got to be the popular kid IRL. I just hope there are lots of different ways to play, and you don't got locked into stereotypes. I will be extremely angry if nerdy/geeky sim kids are mocked, the way they were in the 90s sitcoms,

Having said that, I voted yes, because I can see myself getting the pack on sale.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    I'll buy it because, well.... I buy everything. lol. It's not particularly my playstyle but I know I will definitely get use out of it and enjoy it.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    This will be a high use pack for me.
    Must have, it's a link in my game play chain.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    No
    I hope all of you love it as much as you are hoping!

I'm not getting this one. A High School pack is not for me - I didn't like HS anyway, why go back? It's possible I may buy it in the distant future for the CAS and BB and world if there is one, but only at a deep discount. I don't see anything here that I can't live without.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Yeah, I'll buy it on release. I'm not all that into the high school thing, but I always find a use for new worlds and assets. I also have a suspicion that this may be the final EP for the series. Just a hunch.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited June 2022
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Yes, but definitely on sale only. I don't know yet where on the scale from "just american enough to be exotic and fun" to "Ew, too american, can't identify with anything here" the content will land, so there's some uncertainty.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    Most likely no, unless live stream or early access uncovers something earth shattering for the gameplay. If pillow fighting is real that was good, as well as cheerleaders stuff. Except for that, let’s be honest, sims were just bouncing around, dancing and making weird faces. Hard to say how much gameplay is there.

Also this high school seems to be 100% what I remember from movies about USA. I never went to school in USA and the topic of being cheerleader, football star or dreaming to become the most popular kid is alien to me. If I was 20 years younger, I would probably vibe with it. But I’m happy for people who remember their school that way and want sims to experience this as well.

I feel in a similar way about the teen culture stuff (I'm British). I grew up in an era when those stereotypes were heavily reinforced through popular culture here in the UK even though they weren't quite the same, and being "different" was laughed at whereas now difference is much more celebrated. However, I think it could be fun to sometimes play those things, because I never got to be the popular kid IRL. I just hope there are lots of different ways to play, and you don't got locked into stereotypes. I will be extremely angry if nerdy/geeky sim kids are mocked, the way they were in the 90s sitcoms,

Having said that, I voted yes, because I can see myself getting the pack on sale.

I have mostly positive memories of my high school experience because I didn't attend the stereotypical big American high school, like the ones in 90s sitcoms and movies. I was lucky enough to attend a private school that was less than half the size of the public school I was zoned for, with much less bullying and much less of the garbage that many American high schoolers have to put up with every day.

I'm with you in hoping there will be lots of ways to play. I hope I'll be able to use the High School EP to create an environment that defies those stereotypes: a more inclusive environment where a nerdy kid might also play football (that was me) and have friends in both "camps" (again, me).
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Preorder!!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    yes, but will be waiting for 50% off sale, which will come at some point in the next year if not much earlier I'm sure. I'll blame the Ferris Wheel for my "needing" to buy it eventually.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    I didn't know I needed any more packs, but here we go again. :grin:
    It looks great and I'm definitely going to buy it immediately if the livestream goes well and the pack is not full of bugs like My Wedding Disasters pack.
  • Options
    lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Absolutely will be purchasing this pack the day it launches, and I’ve already requested time off in order to play it. So crossing my fingers they don’t postpone the date like MWS 🤞🏼
    · · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Tbh, when I first heard it was about teens I got very excited, then when I found out it is all about high school my impression was, meh. After watching the trailer and saw, pillow fighting, men shaving, photo booth and a few other things I have been wanting, I will probably be forced to buy it, lol. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Although I wasn't excited about the idea of playing high school (the way we already can play college), what I like is the customization aspect. We can customize prom, graduation, lockers, and the school. We can now sneak out. Teens may still look like Y.A/Adult but they have more gameplay options like sneaking out, joining a club, becoming an influencer, and more ways to make money besides part time or odd jobs. I think it's a cool way to play the game and I want to see what the new world looks like.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Yes. I have wanted more stuff for teens to do for a long time and it looks like this pack will give us that. This is what I had hoped that they would do with a High School pack so I'm going to buy this one.
  • Options
    KbobsterKbobster Posts: 157 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Honey, I already did.
    I'm so excited for the amusement park! I hope teacher sims can be teachers in the game, it's okay if not. But man, that would be fun! I hope it's like Sims 3 Uni where you can sleep, take notes, or ask questions during lecture.
  • Options
    KbobsterKbobster Posts: 157 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    telemwill wrote: »
    As of now, yes I plan to buy it. I'm hoping the new animations are available for children also. Please say they can sit criss cross applesauce and have pillow fights!

I think it looks fun for what it is, but I wish it had more after school activities besides sports and cheerleading. I wasn't into that much other than attending a few games. There should be more for other kinds of teens.

The sims game already has the volcano projects and stuff, and it looks like you can create your school (or edit the one that exists) So you can create a Club that that meets at the high school that is science based, research/debate(if you have Uni). Make some artsy students and a drama club if you have Get Famous (practice acting). I wish they could put on school plays, that would be cool. We'll have to see what the Sims can do, but yeah, more on the Fine Arts would've been perfect for me.

• Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    I'm getting it. I hope the group dynamic stuff like classes and hanging out doing homework are working properly. That's one thing Sims 4 struggles with is group tasks and getting all sims to cooperate. lol
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    No
    Hmm… so far I have not seen anything in the pack that holds interest for me. Also, a bit too American for me. I try to make my sims world feel like an imaginary world. This might make it too real.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Yes (Includes on sale)
    Will try to win but if not then wait for sale. Still saving for gamepack. Plus Syberia 4 <3 Sigh I have a lot of surveys to do I think.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion