Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think they handle Goth update poorly?

Comments

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited May 2022
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Am I literally the only one who hates Mortimers new look the most

like who is this mafia man
    what has he done to our cute and fancy frog loving science guy

its not like he is vlad (except actually in some languages his name in ts1 was vlad something but i will pretend thats not a thing)

I feel like they did him best. You're clearly not wrong for thinking they did the worst on him, it's all subjective. To me, he feels more dignified and fits his age in game better now.

Idk I guess the problem is i wanted mortimer to stay friendshaped but he is becoming very foeshaped (again)

TS1:
    Friendshaped :heart: would invite to my candlelight supper and he would be a true gentleman

TS2: slightly foeshaped would probably avoid

TS3:
    unsure really but foeshaped cause kids in general are would avoid just for being kid

TS4 ver1:
    Oh could it be he is friendshaped again :hushed::heart: I could have him attend my candlelight supper again

TS4 ver 2: Oh no now he is foeshaped again :disappointed::heartbreak: would avoid cause he would probably try to sell me a car or something
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »
    I think they handled it just fine. I am leaning towards not a fan of the new sims (Love mort and Cas, don't care for Bella and Alex) but it would be impossible for them to please everyone. I may disagree or not be that excited with some of things that are done in the sims but overall I think the team does an amazing job at trying to find a middle ground and at handling the changes they implement.

I don't understand how this is middle ground? The family was replace with a new version.Without uploading the old version.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    edited May 2022
    Am I literally the only one who hates Mortimers new look the most

like who is this mafia man
    what has he done to our cute and fancy frog loving science guy

its not like he is vlad (except actually in some languages his name in ts1 was vlad something but i will pretend thats not a thing)

I feel like they did him best. You're clearly not wrong for thinking they did the worst on him, it's all subjective. To me, he feels more dignified and fits his age in game better now.

Idk I guess the problem is i wanted mortimer to stay friendshaped but he is becoming very foeshaped (again)

TS1:
    Friendshaped :heart: would invite to my candlelight supper and he would be a true gentleman

TS2: slightly foeshaped would probably avoid

TS3:
    unsure really but foeshaped cause kids in general are would avoid just for being kid

TS4 ver1:
    Oh could it be he is friendshaped again :hushed::heart: I could have him attend my candlelight supper again

TS4 ver 2: Oh no now he is foeshaped again :disappointed::heartbreak: would avoid cause he would probably try to sell me a car or something

Of all the references I've seen and used to describe a sim you may be the only to invoke a used car salesman. I never considered Morty friend or foe, he's always been useful or background noise.

I never played TS1 or 2 so for me it's all TS3 onward. Some saves he's a major player, others not so much. Bella and Cassie are the stars in that household.
  • Options
    talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    I also think that they handled the update poorly. They should have made having the new Goth family update optional so that people could still use the old ones if they wanted to. I really don't like how we're forced to use the new ones, especially since I just don't like the way they look. Could we please get this in another update? I would really love to have the old Goth family back in my new save files.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    The Goths were handled fine, imo. I don't fully agree with all of the decisions in the new looks but they're fine. It's a "darned" if they do, darned if they don't kind of situation. They've been chronically criticized for how the premades looked for years so it makes sense that theyd make a promotional campaign for updated looks.

Not everyone is going to agree with the new looks and that's okay. Just find a copy of the old Goths and use those instead.

I do think they shouldve officially uploaded a proper copy of the old Goths on the Maxis gallery channel but w/e.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2022
    I feel like they should of adjusted the version that has always been there from the start. All they needed to do was change skins tones for Bella & Cassandra, fix the overly bright makeup, fix Bella's body proportions and also age her up to adult so that she isn't a young adult at the same time Cassandra which does happen if you play the family. I much prefer the original version over the new one any day.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I don't understand why this was necessary after all these years. I personally don't like any of the new Goths because I've gotten used to the old ones and I've gotten attached to them through all these years. Now I'm supposed to care about these new Goth impostors when the original Sims 4 Goths are killed on every new save? No, it just doesn't work that way for me.

Now I have to make extra work on every new save and download the original Goths back into the game and it's annoying. I'm worried how many more premade households will be ruined like this. I'm already afraid for them to "update" Don Lothario or Pancakes. :s

The only change for pancakes in new save should be that they change it to version from maxis gallery where they have Iggy as toddler (and add the toddler items to their house so it makes sense)

Don Lothario needs no cas changes except he shouldn't be living with Calientes he needs to have bachelor pad with telescope on its roof
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    The whole thing seems unnecessary to me. In a game that needs so many other things so much more (like bug fixes), changing the looks and only the looks of some premades seems like a waste of developer time. Everybody can go into CAS and change the Goths if they like, but not everybody can fix the game's other problems. And before someone tells me that the people responsible for these updates probably aren't the same ones doing the quality testing - yeah, I know, because this game doesn't have quality testing.

I already posted this in another thread, to which someone replied that it was done to address the longstanding issue of Bella being whitewashed in TS4, and I understand that. But they didn't just change her skintone, they changed everything, after eight years of older players getting accustomed to the new Bella and her family, and newer players only knowing this version of them to begin with. It's like watching a TV series for years and suddenly some actors get replaced for no reason.

Adding proper hot and cold outfits was definitely needed, and will be needed for any other pre-Seasons premades they're going to update in the future, but other than that, I hope those future updates will focus less on hair and clothes and more on things such as likes and dislikes, pronouns, relationships and careers (seriously, not everybody needs to be a cook or a writer, even just the base game has more career options than that). But I also realise this is TS4, a game that has always prioritised style over substance, so I might as well be talking to a brick wall.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Definitely, Mort & Cassie are good, but they did Bella & Alex dirty. Someone on reddit crossbred Classic & New Alex For Science! and someone else Classic & New Bella and they got really good results though, I'm going to try that. And of all the custom Goths out there the only ones I like are Shooby's toonified ones, they feel a great compromise between Sims 2 and 4.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    I don’t usually play the Goths or most of the townies unless they can be used to make a story point, and then it’s just temporary. In my current save, I am playing a lot of the supernatural premades like Morgyn, Nalani and Caleb, but others just fill out the town so their history and lore don’t really impact my game. I do enjoy seeing them around, though, and it’s going to be a little disconcerting to see a different person wearing the same name showing up in future games. I think a better approach would have been to leave the OG TS4 sims alone and add the updated ones to the gallery for those who were complaining. Chances are those same people are just going to take them into CAS and pile on a bunch of Alpha CC, anyway.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited May 2022
    Not necessarily poorly done but I do gotta say I don't really understand the point of this. Changing only the looks of premades that have existed since the game launched many many years ago just seems... unnecessary and I'd rather they put their resources into something else.
    Even if these new versions were more consistent with older games, TS4 is its' own tittle and has existed for a long time and people have gotten used or even attached to these versions of the characters. And only NOW they suddenly decide to change them and basically force that change on everyone?
    I'd rather they update premades to actually reflect on their supposed lore. E.g. Vlad is supposed to be on bad terms with the Vatores, yet in-game he doesn't even freaking know them. I loved how in TS2 there were all these already existing relationships and scenarios, sims whose gameplay actually reflected their bio. Like Daniel Pleasant having an affair with the maid while his daughters were at each other's throats.
    Sudden cosmetic changes of characters that have existed for years just seems redundant to me while actual gameplay related changes could add substance. (Though I gotta admit I don't know how well this would work with the relationship culling system but I like the idea for its' added immersion.)
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I kinda don't... care...I change them all anyway. If they become a part of my story line they'll get a makeover. To me the originals looked outdated and basic so whether they rolled out a new goth family look or not wouldn't matter to me. I'm gonna do them my way anyway. So for me it was handled just fine. I have every pre made character saved so I can plop them into any game or use the genetics to create new sims etc. Didn't really affect me if I'm honest.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,402 Member
    edited May 2022
    They handled it poorly. Example: they failed to have the insight to do the obvious testing on Alexander Goth by aging him up to check out how the changed genetics affect his appearance later in life (they spent months working on this).

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited May 2022
    They handled it poorly. Example: they failed to have the insight to do the obvious testing on Alexander Goth by aging him up to check out how the changed genetics affect his appearance later in life (they spent months working on this).

Honestly Alexender was the worse redesign.His the sims 4 design already look like tsm2 design.Its sad aging him up makes him look like a different character entirely.Also this is my opinion.I do not know why they change his skintone that drastically.Because he is supposed to have skin tone like his dad, and lighter one than his sister.I don't know why they were advent of having the siblings having the same skin tone.When in real life mixed kids can have different skins.
    I am glad Casandra's skin tone is darker.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member

Oh dear :D. I really like original TS4 Alexander. He looks distinctive in the similar way Vlad does i.e. in this really "handcrafted" intentional way, that attention was paid to his features. This new one looks more like a townie: a random mix of genetics.
    Gotta make sure to save OG Alexander (and the rest of the Goths) to my library.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

[/quote]

He looks a bit froggy to me.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I don't understand why they needed to make the changes. I would prefer to have the Lore added along with actual personalities and an attraction system for improving the NPC's/Sims in general than appearance changes. After playing the game for so long I would rather continue to see the same sims in my game, not new versions, as I feel I know them. I guess they got tired of their looks and wanted to have cosmetic surgery. But the doctor definitely made mistakes with poor Alexander. He should sue for malpractice! Lol I will be saving the originals. If I feel NPC's need a different appearance, I can just make changes in CAS. I know of people were complaining about their appearances not being like previous games and that is probably why they are doing this.?
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I don't understand why they needed to make the changes. I would prefer to have the Lore added along with actual personalities and an attraction system for improving the NPC's/Sims in general than appearance changes. After playing the game for so long I would rather continue to see the same sims in my game, not new versions, as I feel I know them. I guess they got tired of their looks and wanted to have cosmetic surgery. But the doctor definitely made mistakes with poor Alexander. He should sue for malpractice! Lol I will be saving the originals. If I feel NPC's need a different appearance, I can just make changes in CAS. I know of people were complaining about their appearances not being like previous games and that is probably why they are doing this.?

It's a bit difficult to make characters look like in previous games. Meshes for hair and clothes are different, body sculpting possibilities are different, skin tones have more variations in later games. I guess they are still developing the character because the new Bella has facial moles that she never had before.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @crocobaura I agree. Each Sims game the characters changed. Although based on the same characters in previous games, I would expect each new game to have a different look due to advances in technology alone. I personally don't need them to look exactly like the previous ones. I just wouldn't expect a change in their appearance from their original Sims 4 appearance and have the new ones automatically replace the originals in a new game. I do plan to save my original Goth family to my library.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,780 Member
    edited May 2022
    I’m not really concerned about what they look like although it is a little jarring since I only know the TS4 version of the Goths. The new version of the Goths feels like something right out of a sci-fi movie. Shape shifting aliens have replaced the Goths.

Bella-the-Alien.jpg

My biggest concern is the allocation of resources and time towards something that is unnecessary. This will not improve gameplay, depth or address long time bug issues such as the dreaded….
    toddler body stretching when they hold an umbrella which has been an issue since they released seasons on June 22, 2018. Talk about no quality control. Why not just have toddlers change into a raincoat or simply remove the umbrella if you don't know what is causing the problem.

Why didn't they do a proper test with MWS by having all age groups attend a wedding to see if any issues exist? Toddlers are reacting to the wedding and their little bodies are morphing and stretching out of shape. So many things should have been discovered and corrected before releasing the pack.

Yes, this game does have many moving parts. Yet, when they decide to give makeovers to premades before resolving an issue that has been in the game since June 2018 (release date for said pack), this does not bode well or build confidence.
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Amen to your main concern! There are many more urgent things to be done in this game than that.

As far as appearance goes, TS1 is for me the standard. The other game versions will differ due to later technology and different art styles, but TS1 is what should be the look aimed for the best they can given the tools they have.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    The invasions of the Goth family kind. Run to the hills. >:):D:p
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I was excited for the lore update. I don't particularly like the new Goths but I made my own that are saved in my library. I was hoping for an in-depth family tree and some drama between the sims like in the sims 2.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24