Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Close-knit lifestyle

Can someone please explain what the limits are on close knit lifestyles? Have EA still not excluded parents or pets for this?

My sim has a girlfriend, a best friend and is friends with his parents and pet dog, yet lifestyle is at risk?! :'(

Comments

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,845 Member
    That lifestyle has a limit on the number of friendships a sim can have. The description says a sim should keep their friend count between one and three which is a crazy low number. Your sim would almost have to be a hermit to avoid going beyond that. I know it's a very hard lifestyle to maintain if you have a sim that gets out in the community a lot and is talkative.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    It's very poorly designed, in my opinion. It doesn't take into account how fast and easily sims become "friends", and it also doesn't exclude members of the same household, so it always skews toward "people person". Even my paranoid loner sim who lives in an underground bunker has managed to acquire four friends. This is the main reason I turned lifestyles off.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It's very poorly designed, in my opinion. It doesn't take into account how fast and easily sims become "friends", and it also doesn't exclude members of the same household, so it always skews toward "people person". Even my paranoid loner sim who lives in an underground bunker has managed to acquire four friends. This is the main reason I turned lifestyles off.

It was definitely flawed the way it was designed. It should have excluded household members, and only capped high level friendships. The limit should be five good friends or five where the friendship bar is maxed. There shouldn't have been a cap at all for just friends.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I hate the design too. In my opinion there should be a buffer zone, lets say 3-6 friends where your sims would gain no lifestyle. Not sure what the number should be, but it's wrong that your sim can't just be normal.
  • Options
    @musteni The way it's set up if you're a parent of a large family you are forced to play favorites. And sims by their nature are extremely extroverted. This design was so horribly flawed from the start. I could relate to the lifestyle if they redesigned it properly.
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,970 Member
    I had an issue once where a male Sim had the Close-Knit lifestyle whilst his girlfriend had the People Person lifestyle. So that was a little awkward! I was able to remove the lifestyle without issue thankfully.

At least we don’t have to have a certain number of friends to progress in careers anymore, like in Sims 2. Befriending Sims can be hard enough, never mind maintaining all those friendships! Having that on top of earning skill levels was pretty tough for me. Thank God I found a mod that removed the friendship requirement for all careers in Sims 2.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Almost all of my sims get this lifestyle.
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I find both this one and "People Person" completely unbalanced. Bienchen has a mod that tunes it way down so it's better, but I still usually delete this lifestyle when it is acquired except in the extremely rare cases that I feel it actually fits the Sim.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    That lifestyle has a limit on the number of friendships a sim can have. The description says a sim should keep their friend count between one and three which is a crazy low number. Your sim would almost have to be a hermit to avoid going beyond that. I know it's a very hard lifestyle to maintain if you have a sim that gets out in the community a lot and is talkative.

Problem is, this is the lifestyle that fits my 6th great-grandmother. She was described as quiet and retiring (shy). But, besides her husband, she had ultimately ten children. She succumbed to complications of childbirth with the last one. If I were to attempt to have her achieve this lifestyle, it would be at risk as soon as her third child was born. Face/palm. I'm grossly disappointed with the unrealistic limitations of this lifestyle.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options

Problem is, this is the lifestyle that fits my 6th great-grandmother. She was described as quiet and retiring (shy). But, besides her husband, she had ultimately ten children. She succumbed to complications of childbirth with the last one. If I were to attempt to have her achieve this lifestyle, it would be at risk as soon as her third child was born. Face/palm. I'm grossly disappointed with the unrealistic limitations of this lifestyle.

Really doesn't even have to be a large family. A couple with two kids is at the limit. They would need to be hermits or lose the lifestyle. To me close-knit would be 4-5 really closely bonded friends. That's my preference in real life, I want to be friendly with everyone, but I want a handful of people who are really close, that get each other, and are always there. That's in addition to the family bonds and friendships.

You simply can't replicate that with this lifestyle. Which is exactly what it should have been modeled after, in my mind.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I hate the design too. In my opinion there should be a buffer zone, lets say 3-6 friends where your sims would gain no lifestyle. Not sure what the number should be, but it's wrong that your sim can't just be normal.

Completely agree. Having a buffer number of friends in the middle that wouldn't gain either lifestyle I think would be the easiest way to make these 2 lifestyles work a bit better.
  • Options
    GirafHuntr wrote: »
    I find both this one and "People Person" completely unbalanced. Bienchen has a mod that tunes it way down so it's better, but I still usually delete this lifestyle when it is acquired except in the extremely rare cases that I feel it actually fits the Sim.

Even with the mod most of my sims acquire this lifestyle. Is it something I'm doing maybe?
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    musteni wrote: »

I completely agree about the buffer in between the two lifestyles. But I'd put the "people person" threshold even higher. I feel like it should be maybe 10 or 15 friends.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sharonia wrote: »

Even with the mod most of my sims acquire this lifestyle. Is it something I'm doing maybe?

Do they get out often and engage in conversation, or are they homebodies? If they stick around home with family it can pop up. If they get out regularly and are talkative it shouldn't happen. I have had it, not as an active lifestyle, but have it where it shows that they are in the process of gaining it with sims that stay close to home for too long.
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

Before I had her mod, all my Sims were always getting People Person and I constantly deleted it. It was driving me crazy. With her mod, many of my Sims get the Close Knit one. Not as many as used to get PP, but still a lot. Either way I am always deleting one of them, just slightly less with the mod...
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    @Sharonia if your sims have more than 3 friends, including members of their own households, they will get this lifestyle.
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    What annoys me that even babies apply towards this lifestyle, and it's literally impossible to like not have good relations with a baby.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    @Sharonia if your sims have more than 3 friends, including members of their own households, they will get this lifestyle.

I guess that makes sense. Thank you all who replied to my comment.