Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those of you who don't use mods, why?

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    edited May 2022
    My sympathies for those who are reluctant. I began playing Sims with Sims2. Boolprop scared the wits out of me. I was even too timid to create my own neighborhood. Can't recall now what prompted me to do so, but once I setup my own neighborhood, via the templates offered inside the game, I went on to create Starfleet Academy. I never played the game neighborhoods after that, either. I never did use mods, per se. I may have found a piece of cc hair. It wasn't until Sims3, that I totally got into mods. That game, even on my gaming rig, was an unstable mess. My Superstar got married and I took them to WA (can't recall the country) for an exotic honeymoon. They got irrevocably stuck! Every single time I tried to have them come home, the game crashed. I finally took my woes to the forums. None other than Twallen, himself, answered my pleas for help. I read up on how to install his Traveler mod and from there, there was no turning back. I had close to 20+ mods in Sims3. Like many others, I was saddened when he gave us the news he was retiring from mod creating. He was a Biggie. Even Deaderpool's MCCC is a nod to Twallen's Master Controller mod.

But I get the reluctance, I do. I just turned 67 last month, so I'm not a kid anymore. But I have learned to not let fear stand in my way. I use mods in Sims4, because I wanted my singer Sim back. I also have a small assortment that adds to the game. Much more reserved in my mod use since this game is stable.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I could never play the Sims 4 without mods, it has to many annoying design choices...

The autonomy of this game alone would drive me completely insane if I didn't use mods to fix it, sims will do the weirdest stuff in an un-modded game like doing random push ups and sit ups everywhere. If that doesn't bother you as a player then I'm happy for you but personally for me I hate it, it's not realistic and I don't want it in my game.

I use a mod to stop all the horrible random townies from spawning too, I couldn't play it without that one either.

Mods generally just enhance the game and make the experience better, well the ones I use do anyway.

The effort it takes to keep them updated far out weighs dealing with the irritation of playing without them.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Oh and not using mods and cc its also much easier to share things in gallery so thats another reason I don't really get into them in ts4 as much

That's actually a really, really good point.
    Even many of those of us who do use a ton of mods and CC disable it all when we are going to make something to share on the gallery.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    The autonomy of this game alone would drive me completely insane if I didn't use mods to fix it, sims will do the weirdest stuff in an un-modded game like doing random push ups and sit ups everywhere.

This is a perfect example of different strokes for different folks :smile:
    I would love the autonomy to be much MUCH stronger than it is, actually.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    random push ups and sit ups everywhere

That is the Rock Your Body NAP from Eco Lifestyle
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Or they have the Active trait and / or Energized lifestyle.
    Post edited by Beardedgeek on
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,859 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Oh and not using mods and cc its also much easier to share things in gallery so thats another reason I don't really get into them in ts4 as much

That's actually a really, really good point.
    Even many of those of us who do use a ton of mods and CC disable it all when we are going to make something to share on the gallery.

It has been fun trying to learn how to create sims and lots with stuff that I used to ignore. And the newer stuff coming from Maxis over the last year or so isn't bad at all. I still love my cc and always will but there is now a larger place for unmodded creativity in what I do.

• Options

Or they have the energized trait and / or lifestyle.

Sims with the active trait will do pushups, sit-ups, and stretch a lot autonomously. Or was that what you meant by energized trait?

• Options
    Karyn7475Karyn7475 Posts: 14 New Member
    I am also curious about this as there are so many amazing mods and CC out there its hard not to just "shop" the day away for your sims. I personally enjoy building in the game much more then the gameplay so for me the mods make it extra.
    I use the TOOL mod and my imagination to make new furniture or add interest to houses out of what came with the game which I'm LOVING!
    I love tweaks that make my sims change out of their cold weather clothes when they come inside, having someone come over and take my dog for a walk, or just all the fabulous build/buy mode options that people make. I see both sides but for me, mods and CC are a must.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I like the building mechanics of Sims 4 more than the gameplay, which is pretty predictable and repetitive, but finally improving. I build things to be playable, even if I don't get around to playing with them. When I build, mods/cc need to be off so that I can upload to the Gallery. I forgot to turn the mods back on to actually play so many times that I stopped even bothering to pick them up anymore.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Once I got onboard with MCCC after a couple of years I - like many others - see this as essential. I also have the mod by I orget who that unlocks the game's hidden outfits.

I don't have any others mainly because I have no idea which ones out of the multitude available would be useful for how I play. CC, on the other hand...

The above applies to my installation that stops at University and does not see the light of internet day. There are no mods for my version that runs through Cottage Living as that is internet connected and I have no desire to deal with the update induced mod slaughterhouse.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    I do not, and have never, used mods. In any game. For what they add, I don't find them worth the time maintaining and updating, much less configuring. Not to mention potential security risks (even on reputable sites). Instead, the developers need to look at these for inspiration on what to fix or add to the game.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options

Sims with the active trait will do pushups, sit-ups, and stretch a lot autonomously. Or was that what you meant by energized trait?

Yep. Fixed.
  • Options

Yep. Fixed.

I wasn't sure, thought I'd check.😎

• Options
    SailorCeti wrote: »
    I do not, and have never, used mods. In any game. For what they add, I don't find them worth the time maintaining and updating, much less configuring. Not to mention potential security risks (even on reputable sites). Instead, the developers need to look at these for inspiration on what to fix or add to the game.

I must say this: I have not played since Industrial Loft Kit came out and there has been quite a few updates since then... So I cannot be sure BUT: I still have (updated) MCCC installed but I simply lifted out the Babies and Population scripts from the mod folder and the game is running MUCH smoother than 6 months ago.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,884 Member
    edited May 2022
    Looks like this has turned into a 'why do you use mods' thread. 😄

Edited to add you.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I can sum it up in one statement, I use mods to fix what EA won't or can't, simple. I would rather download a mod that almost eliminates my sims from washing their hands 10 times a day, won't go mop up puddles while during a thunderstorm, obsess with the computer, tv, gaming mat, and the list goes on. I have recently downloaded Carl's mod that fixed the garden which I gladly downloaded...gardening is a joy again for which I will be forever grateful.

So yes, mods can be a pain when something is wrong in the game, but I would much rather update mods that can let me play my game the way I want instead of fighting with my sims to stop with the unwanted behavior, constantly.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    In Sims 2, I used mods to supplement gameplay mostly. Some mods to fix glitches. But I could play the game without mods and not be hindered in my game play too much. Game was only updated once per expansion pack and that was typically 2 times per year so there wasn't a problem with the waiting game for mods to be updated or okayed for use. I've gone crazy with mods currently for Sims 2 as they are pretty much all modular mods that only change specific things.

In Sims 3, I used mods to fix the game and mildly supplement game play. I could not play without some of the mods I use in Sims 3 that fix major problems with EA's code. I'm cautious with mod usage with this game as it's been more prone to random crashing than Sims 2 or Sims 4 are for me. While EA updated more frequently, the problems I got mods to fix were too important to pass up so I dealt with it. I went a little more crazy with the mods to supplement my gameplay once EA moved onto Sims 4.

In Sims 4, I do not use mods because the game updates too frequently and I'd have to hold for mod compatibility checks too often. That and my sporadic play of Sims 4 means that if I use mods, I have to track down updates to the mod before I can even play Sims 4 for whatever little time the game will hold my interest - I'm trying to find something to hold me to the game for longer. Not knowing what it is about Sims 4 that causes my interest to wane is why I haven't found a way to fix it - be it game play or mod changes. I may dive into mods more for Sims 4 once EA announces they are done with updating Sims 4 or if the update cadence slows down.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I do use mods...a LOT of mods. But even I can see there's a good reason not to use them. It's kind of a pain in the butt every time the game gets updated.

Yes, that's the primary reason I don't use them. Really, the only reason. I used them quite a bit in S1, 2 and 3, but now that we're getting patches all the time, I don't want to bother with them. (It was getting to be a bit of a pain in S3, but it was completely unplayable without a mod to reset stuck Sims.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member

No it's not, they did it long before Eco Lifestyle released. It's an energized emotion animation. I don't have any active NAP's in my game.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    Ah okay @Sharonia I don't usually see too many autonomous pushups etc. from active trait and energized mood. Some. But not crazy all over the place unless that NAP is active.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I'm now glad that my PC won't accept any mods for my games. Now that I know that there's problems with mods having viruses & for others the need to take them out of the game every single time there's an update or patch. No thank you.
    I'm quite happy with my vanilla, my 50 packs/kits along with my many cheats. :p;)B)
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2022
    I do like some mods and what they can do as some try to give players more options that EA/Maxis does not seem to give but when EA/Maxis attempt to fix the game it tends to break the game and depending on if the mod is a core mod which for me may mean some core base files may be altered and it can't be reversed calling for a reinstall and no telling if the save files you backed up may not work even with a reinstall. Also, I fortunately never used mods in the Sims series specially to fix something that EA/Maxis should be doing. However, I still give MOD creators kudos for doing what they doing to make other players simming a little better even though I do not use them. :)
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    Just genuinely curious, why don't you guys use mods? I'd like to hear your opinions/thoughts about it.

Only one reason for me. MONEY! I am happy to download CC but it cost money too so I don't. I would rather save my money for EPs, SPs & Kits 🤷
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Only one reason for me. MONEY! I am happy to download CC but it cost money too so I don't. I would rather save my money for EPs, SPs & Kits 🤷

I have never, ever paid for any type of CC or Mods for TS4. If a creator locks their items as "Patreon Exclusive" and never releases to the public, then I just don't ever go back to that creator's site.

If something is just released earlier for supporting Patreons and it's something that I would actually like, then I just wait until it's released to the public and get it then.