Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has many more years left confirmed as of yesterday

Comments

• Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of things will be getting added to the Sims 4 over the next several years. And it's great that they've reassured us the team has every intention of continuing to support the game for many more years to come....

Unlike some software developers who change versions as often as the changing oceanic tides.... and like to cut off support every handful of years right along with it. (*cough* Microsoft *cough*) :|

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Are people's computers going to be able to handle it?

I just upgraded my desktop computer with an RTX3080OC, from an i7 4790k, with the Sims4 running on an SSD (560MB/s) with DDR4 RAM (32GB) to an i9 12900K, with the Sims4 running on an M.2 NVME (7000MB/s) with DDR5 RAM (64GB) and I cut my loading times by half on my old save and performance is what one would expect the game to perform normally. And this is on a computer that I invested for the future, this is supposed to last me for quite a long time and run many new games on Ultra.

So I have no idea how people are going to be able to run their old saves for several more years?

I am currently running on a 7 year old Alienware with a killer heat sink and graphics but I think I will be working towards a new Alienware with more Memory in the next six months to a year, I am already running out of space. I hope Maxis intends to keep up with the new graphics cards and hardware/software that will be coming on newer computer's if they plan on keeping the same 7 year old game up and running, and I hope they intend to add more to the Sims themselves to make them less shallow and more interesting. Enough with the fashion packs full of silly looking belly tops and ankle pants, can we have some normal clothes please, who ever designed the clothes in laundry day did a fantastic job that is the best clothes in a long time. We don't need any more animals, and We don't need anymore mini kits. It is time to add some depth to the Sims with an attraction system, fears, more lifetime goals ( those have sadly fallen off with each pack) and ways to make our sims individuals and not all act the same. It is time for Toggles so those of us who want to play occult's and a more robust version can while those that want to play strictly family and realistic with nothing racy can turn things off if they want. I would really like to see Neighborhood stories get more options also, like being able to divide households when there are 8 people in a one bedroom, to allow some of them to fall in love and get married. It is strange to have a single man end up with six kids. There is a lot that can be done to add depth and character to the game other than trendy fashion, over the top make up kits and decorating packs. We could use some new Musical instruments and careers. New romance interactions and reactions. There a million things that would make the game so much better and if they plan on keeping around it might be time to do that.
  • Options
    spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    I'm an older simmer and was planning on updating soon. I don't understand the correlation between older simmers and toaster computers. 🤔

toaster computers can't run older saves well.

But why are older simmers confined to toaster computers?

Yeah, what she said, why would you think all older simmers have old junk computers? I have been playing since Sims 1 and run on Alienware that will run the Sims4 non stop without a hiccup for 12 hour game sessions with all the packs uploaded, and like I said earlier, I am going to invest into another monster computer by the end of the year, yes, just to play the Sims ! LOL :p
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Yikes. Theres enough bad news in the world 😭😂 i aint trying to hear this
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited April 2022
    Honestly, I'd think the older simmers are more likely to have the better computers...because older people tend to have more expendable income. Younger folks have student loans, house loans and lower income in the first place due to less experience and time in the workforce. Old folks like me, on the other hand, are completely debt free...all I have to worry about are living expenses.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Well they did say last year that Sims 4 had years and years left, so this is not too surprising to me.

Disappointing to me .... but not surprised that they have reiterated (again) that we still have many years left.

I'm just ready for something new and fresh.

Kinda sick of TS4 and all it's limitations of no world customization, can't build our own apartments, can't have true multi-functioning lots that draws NPC sims to actually use the items placed down, reusing the same animations over and over, the non-relevant traits that make the sims all seem the same, the obsessive behavior of the sims, I could go on and on.

I just hope the modders will stick around or new modders will come on board to continue to fix/improve the game.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    I’m okay with this. If TS5 is going online only, I won’t be playing it anyway. More TS4 will suit me just fine.

Same.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Boy it's all over Twitter now. Numerous simmers are reporting it and making videos.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd think the older simmers are more likely to have the better computers...because older people tend to have more expendable income....

Nah, it's because we've experienced the early days of the home PC and suffered the agony of dial up and 286 processor (and earlier) slooooow. When the industry finally made PCs fast and with large storage capacity we can never go back. lol
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited April 2022
    @Catzilla, :lol: tell me about it. Back in the early dial up days, I remember my folks complaining because my phone was always busy...I'd be connected for 3-days straight because it took that long to download the new version of MS Office (from a BBS!).
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    I've been saying this for awhile now; as long as there is money to be made from TS4, it's not going anywhere

I do hope that they work on the personality system, as it's a long, long way from being refined
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    @Stormkeep Oh, yeah. And the dial up screech. ;)
    Trying to download a game or update one, move a large file or download a large image took all day long.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Well they did say last year that Sims 4 had years and years left, so this is not too surprising to me.

Disappointing to me .... but not surprised that they have reiterated (again) that we still have many years left.

I'm just ready for something new and fresh.

Kinda sick of TS4 and all it's limitations of no world customization, can't build our own apartments, can't have true multi-functioning lots that draws NPC sims to actually use the items placed down, reusing the same animations over and over, the non-relevant traits that make the sims all seem the same, the obsessive behavior of the sims, I could go on and on.

I just hope the modders will stick around or new modders will come on board to continue to fix/improve the game.

We will see, I have the last year tried to accept that the game is not going anywhere. I think I am going to keep playing the game casually and hang out here on the forums...

No point in arguing if the game should end or not.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Well, that's interesting. That means there's hope for positive changes and more Occults and pack updates and Whims getting fixed and a romance, attraction and compatibility system then. Right? 😁
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Well, that's interesting. That means there's hope for positive changes and more Occults and pack updates and Whims getting fixed and a romance, attraction and compatibility system then. Right? 😁

yes! !!
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    StartUpGeniusStartUpGenius Posts: 135 Member
    Most of us have already spent a lot for the packs/kits so we should be happy about that
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I'm an older simmer and was planning on updating soon. I don't understand the correlation between older simmers and toaster computers. 🤔

toaster computers can't run older saves well.

But why are older simmers confined to toaster computers?

Oh? that's not what I meant, I meant that if you have played the game for long, have a lot of relationships and a larger older save, then you are going to need a good computer if you don't want to deal with long loading times and lag.

The longer Maxis keeps this game going, the more demanding it's going to be for your computer to play the game for longer periods with all packs without lag and long loading times.

With "older simmers" I meant people like you and me who have played the game for several years.

There’s one save I had to stop last year, it’s been running since 2017. I had terrible lag with Cottage Living and the multiple Agnes clones. It’s my Twilight save, as I started with the Twilight movie characters. I had a lot more Sims, relationships and lots.

Newer saves were not experiencing the same lag.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    @Catzilla, :lol: tell me about it. Back in the early dial up days, I remember my folks complaining because my phone was always busy...I'd be connected for 3-days straight because it took that long to download the new version of MS Office (from a BBS!).

Ughhh....dial-up :( I started playing TSO on dial-up. Just couldn't do it, it was literally unplayable. Thankfully, DSL was available eventually, don't remember what year, though, maybe around 2002. But yeah, dial-up and playing TS1. Downloading CC and programs for it took forever, same with uploading stuff I made.

I don't mind several more years of TS4. I just really really hope they will listen to occult fans as well, its time we got more than a few breadcrumbs off the family breakfast table. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind playing families. Occults get married and have kids too. I'm just hoping for proper, well made fairies, without the focus on mischief and pranks, because I never cared for it, and still don't want to take that "mean" route. And the most awesome werewolves for those who want them. Maybe even proper plantsims, could be interesting. And dragons.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Are people's computers going to be able to handle it?

I just upgraded my desktop computer with an RTX3080OC, from an i7 4790k, with the Sims4 running on an SSD (560MB/s) with DDR4 RAM (32GB) to an i9 12900K, with the Sims4 running on an M.2 NVME (7000MB/s) with DDR5 RAM (64GB) and I cut my loading times by half on my old save and performance is what one would expect the game to perform normally. And this is on a computer that I invested for the future, this is supposed to last me for quite a long time and run many new games on Ultra.

So I have no idea how people are going to be able to run their old saves for several more years?

It has been surprising me all along, how well the game actually performs on my low end computer. It's the cheapest computer I could find back in 2015 (?) - it doesn't even have a dedicated video card and I think only 8 GB RAM. It seems like playing a moderately sized household on a moderately sized lot works fine even if I have most packs installed, 6 billion cc files, a small handful of mods, and 400+ played sims in a save that is the same as the save I started back in 2014. I do "save as..." from time to time though. I have lag once entering a medium to large lot, but after loading everything, it runs satisfyingly. Despite no dedicated videocard, I recently set light effects to maximum to check out the sunlight falling into rooms (love it!), and I don't notice any more lag unless I play very busy lots. My loading times are quite acceptable, I can get myself a snack but the wait is max 2-3 minutes, unless I run a huge lot like a castle with tons of content. Anyway, I normally browse the web while loading the game so whether it takes 2 or 7 minutes is no big deal. Loading each (small to medium) lot takes about 1 minute.

My experience is that the game runs better if there are a couple hundred free gigabites (hard drive), and if I do certain clean up like moving the content from the screenshot folder elsewhere, deleting no longer needed saves, and deleting album duplicates. Of course I also delete the thumbcache frequently as I add new or adjust old CC quite often.

I think the game manages to more or less ignore most files that are not used by active sims and played lot, so with a low-end computer it should still be possible to use most features, just not all on the same lot. Henford is a bit more laggy than other worlds, not sure if it is because several hoods there are ECO green. Evergreen Harbor loads quickly, though.

So - if the game design is able to run only content that is on the active lot, I don't see how even 10 more EPs can make this game too slow. We'll just need to avoid too many features at the same lot. Also, many simmers have just a couple packs, and I think the design is also based on that we can always "uncheck" old packs to enjoy a new pack, if tech specs is a problem. Like you won't really need Jungle Adventure to enjoy the Star Wars pack. You won't need Tartosa when you plan a 30 days expedition to the Selvadoradian jungle. I wish we could exclude a pack temporarily without losing all content used from that pack on other lots in the save (hm, I never really checked if those items will get lost, maybe they don't unless we save that particular lot).

Simmers who want their game to fly will of course not accept any lag at all, but I think there will still be a huge market fo many more packs :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Honestly, I'd think the older simmers are more likely to have the better computers...because older people tend to have more expendable income. Younger folks have student loans, house loans and lower income in the first place due to less experience and time in the workforce. Old folks like me, on the other hand, are completely debt free...all I have to worry about are living expenses.

This is from a young person.To anyone looking for an upgrade try a refurbish game computer.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    Sort of mixed feelings about this. On the one hand not really ready to move on, bearing in mind any new game starts with just the base game and with all the limitations that brings, it's usually several years before it feels fully fleshed out.

But I'm bored as things are. I want a proper city, full of bars and clubs and apartments to build. San Myshuno will never be that.
    I really miss being able to customise the world fully.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2022
    Let's all cheer for the 'My Stories' series and many more packs like My Wedding Stories. Out of ideas so why not just make My Stories packs which are glorified kits with some task chores. Great, many more years of that left. Wonderful.

"building a better world through creativity" No thanks, Maxis, I came here to buy and play a game, not be part of social experiments, or lecture about how I should think or feel.

Example: Sharing is Caring..no, it's stealing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member

I too am an old simmer and probably considered old these days, but I also don't understand the relation either. I upgrade every 2 to 4 years depending how our finances are. Now that we have our move behind us I plan on saving for a new system entirely before the year is up.

My system is very capable of playing Sims 4 with no issues other than regular game bugs most everyone experiences. I also play on Ultra settings, though I have to admit I don't really see a difference between high and Ultra, though that could be my poor vision from getting older. I also mostly play my Sims game on the system that still uses DDR3. Which is considered very outdated these days. But I've upgraded most everything over the years except the motherboard.

I for one am looking forward to a new Sims game and hope that they are using a new engine for better graphic quality. While I love Sims 4, it is a bit cartoony. That's not to say that's a bad thing but I really like the looks of these unreal engine graphics. So it'll be interesting to see how they do a new game.

I will continue to play Sims 4 as I still play Sims 3, Sims 2 and sometimes Sims 1. I look forward to things I miss in the game to be added and hope to be added to Sims 4.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    Everyone, @logion 's comment about "older simmers" was about older saves, not about the age of the simmers at all :)