Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[solved] Problem with family tree/relatives

LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
Hi. I hope someone can help.
When I start a new game and put all my Sims back into the game, my Sims lose their family tree affiliation. All my Sims are stored in my library.
Example: Grandmother and Grandfather now live in a separate household. They still have their relationship functionality.
If I now start a new game and put all my saved up Sims back into their houses, then family A are no longer the parents and grandparents of family B. I then have use "Manage Households" merge the families to reunite them to give them back their relation and then split them up again. This is very annoying, because if I bring the grandparents back to their property, then they have lost all the designations of home-cooked food and painted pictures, etc.. The name of who created/crafted what is gone. Is there another/better way to avoid all this?
„ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

Post edited by LuvMySimz on

Comments

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I don't think there's any better way, sorry.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    Sims in the gallery do not preserve any relationships outside of the single household they are part of.

You can restore the relationships after placing them in your game using either cheat codes or a mod though. I personally use MCCC to do that, but if you don't use mods you can also use the console command (cheat code method) which is explained here.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    musteni wrote: »

Don't that s*ck?

• Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Sims in the gallery do not preserve any relationships outside of the single household they are part of.

You can restore the relationships after placing them in your game using either cheat codes or a mod though. I personally use MCCC to do that, but if you don't use mods you can also use the console command (cheat code method) which is explained here.

Yes I thought I could do it without the use of MCCC. Do you happen to know the cheat codes?

• Options
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    Yes I thought I could do it without the use of MCCC. Do you happen to know the cheat codes?

follow the hyperlink in my post above by clicking the blue word "here". It's explained in that post.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Oh I didn't see that at first. Thanks @Stormkeep!

• Options

follow the hyperlink in my post above by clicking the blue word "here". It's explained in that post.

Just looked at the thread It's from 2015. Is this still up-to-date? Just asking because of several changes made in the game over the years.

• Options
    musteni wrote: »

Don't that s*ck?

I've been playing rotationally the same save since the beginning. I think it would be impossible for me to move my families to a new save because the family lines have spread out so far. I think you've got a good situation because you can move them if you need to. Of course it would be nice if it was easier, but personally I've given up any hope of ever moving them.
  • Options
    I have created a Sim ID list of ALL my Sims using the mod ShowSimInfo. This mod is so helpful as it lists EVERYTHING about your sims. I am too playing rotational, always have.

• Options
    I have created a Sim ID list of ALL my Sims using the mod ShowSimInfo. This mod is so helpful as it lists EVERYTHING about your sims. I am too playing rotational, always have.

Wow nice work!
  • Options
    Just looked at the thread It's from 2015. Is this still up-to-date? Just asking because of several changes made in the game over the years.

I'm sure it still works. it's a cheat code...the same as bb.moveobjects and freerealestate on. I don't believe any cheat codes have 'changed' since the game was released...new ones were added, but the original ones still work too.
  • Options
    MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,188 Member
    I have the same issue as you since I have recreated Goth-Bachelor-Crumplebottom family.

What I did is:

1. Separate family tree into fragments;
    2. Create each family tree in CAS
    3. Move them all in, and use "relationship.add_bit" cheat to connect all three families in my case.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies here. I have solved the issue by merging my said families and then let grandpa and grandma get their own place again. What bothers me with this method is that family A (grandparents) whom has to temporarily move out of their own home to get merged with family B (son daughter & grandkids) will lose ALL their creations named by them. Once moving them back into their home, all their creations have lost their names and even the food quality which was excellent and non-spoiling before they moved out to get merged via Household Management and that s*cks! I use a mod for the spoiling food issue but it still s*ucks lol. That's why I was asking for a simpler way without them losing everything.

Actually everybody lose their names from everything ever created once starting a new save and re-add them back into game from the library. What sense does it make if you empty their Inventory & fridge goods to save it all if later on nobody knows who created it & the excellent goods then spoil? All the paintings on the wall incl. paintings from grandkids lose the creator name. That makes me really sad :( I wish that they would change that and add a sort of memory for that. Especially when the same Sims are moving back into the same plot. *dreaming allowed* lol.

Next time I start a new save I will first merge the families and fix their family tree BEFORE moving them back into their separate homes. Of course that does not fix the already lost names from everything saved on the lots.

• Options
    @LuvMySimz, you could have moved the grandparents out just one at a time, so as to preserve their original household. That way you wouldn't have had the downside.
  • Options
    @LuvMySimz, you could have moved the grandparents out just one at a time, so as to preserve their original household. That way you wouldn't have had the downside.

Oh really?? I didn't know that! And here I am playing the sims over more than 20 years *SMDH*

• Options
    motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    I just came from a post about family and relatives. I think they need to make a separate code for families only to give family interactions and family dynamics to the game. And memories for the families. Memories need to be finished in the game because the game is unfinished in that part. I need EA to get their act together and finish family dynamics, family interactions, and memory system so this won’t keep happening.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited March 2022
    Why not use "Save As" to start a separate game and keep all your existing lots, households and relationships intact?

• Options
    Why not use "Save As" to start a separate game and keep all your existing lots, households and relationships intact?

That is a good question. I've read many times that sometimes it would be useful to do that because of some issues in the game. What is the actual difference between save as and create a complete new save? Say I have a "bugged save file" because of deleting stuff quit often like older CC for example or lots downloaded from the gallery. By chosing "save as" wouldn't that just be a copy of the same old save? Chosing "save as" wouldn't really solve the ussue if a save file feels bugged, I think, but I could be wrong.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    @LuvMySImz, I'm pretty sure the only difference is that when you do just a "save" it renames the existing save with that name to a file with extension .ver0, and also renames all existing .verx files to ver1, ver2, ver3, etc. and then makes the new save. When you "save as" you are making just a new save, so you skip all that file system manipulation.

In TS3 I believe it also helped with problems because just doing a save only updated the portions of the existing save with things that had changed, which meant you could potentially get a clean, un-corrupted copy of things if the old save files had some corruption, but I"m pretty sure in TS4 it only helps if the problem you are having is related to the file copy/rename process.
  • Options
    Thanks @Stormkeep I never had TS3 because of the (ugly) look of the characters lol. So I don't know. I loved TS2 and continued with TS4 when it arrived.
    I'm the kind of person who micromanage my game. Whenever I do changes to my Sims in CAS or houses, I reupload/save new copies to my library and delete the older ones. I create lots of stuff for my game and also delete lots of old CC or edit it for my game. So there is a lot of saving going on back and forth. Actually I create new saves just to be on the safe side. So not really sure if that is really necessary. If "save as" would do it, I will do that from now on :) That would indeed save me a lot of work.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    @curtisstuart where did your post go? I just see he got banned. I received a notification that he had posted but when I wanted to look at it it was gone, that’s why I asked.

• Options
    @LuvMySimz, when someone is banned, they can't login to respond to your questions. Whatever posts were against the forum rules and guidelines also get removed by moderators.
  • Options
    @Stormkeep I get email notifications and I could already read it and there was nothing bad about it. He was thanking someone for posting informational info and he was thankful for it. I’m not sure if he wrote more which is why I came up to look at it but it was gone.

• Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member
    The person who got banned was posting a link to something that wasn't Sims related in another thread which is against the forum rules.
  • Options
    Oh ok. According to his profile he was a new member maybe he didn’t know. Should have read the forum rules.