Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can the content get too overwhelming?

Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
I have been playing Sims since... well, The Sims.

But, I go through stages of playing as much as I can, dreaming about it and making plans constantly. To then do nothing for months.

I tend to log in, download more content in the sales as if I am just trying to complete my collection. Play for like 10 minutes and find I just can't get into it.

I am now wondering if I have too much content and just can't seem to decide what to even do with my Sims anymore. I have tried the legacy and got to the 10 gens, tried to do it again but it didn't hold the same appeal.
Tried rotation play but got so obsessed with planning their lives out through the generations my husband thought I was mad with my notebooks and flash cards!

Does anyone else get like this? And do you have any tips for getting out of it?
Gallery name: Anna-Banna

Comments

• Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Learn to let go.

Try playing with a set of dice where you let the dice roll decide what happens. I kind of just went through a slump like you seem to be in. I decided to give it another go by creating some "scenarios" for a cast of characters in my town. Kind of making them fulfill certain roles based on ideas that pertain to whatever family. So for example, Alexander Goth was kidnapped. I can play the Goth's who are grieving and searching and going through the whole mourning process or I can play the kidnapper home as the family that's holding him hostage or Alexander and try to escape or stay put. Or as I'm playing other families, it could be one of my detectives that might be working this case and searching for clues. It could be families with children who are maybe put on a curfew while a kidnapper is on the loose. Or maybe as the mayor who is taking heat for the crime-ridden city she runs. --the key here is to use dice rolls or coin flips to decide how things play out. Does the detective get real information about the case or is it a wild goose chase? Does Bella suspect Mortimer had something to do with it? Does Cassandra know a secret? I guess the gist of it is it's just your imagination and a coin flip to know the direction. And it's fun not planning and setting up, ya know. And if you want to keep track, consider writing it down journal style instead of spreadsheet style.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Best tip I ever got on this is (originally after the Sims 3 had released all packs and was loaded with content) is to roll for things randomly.
    I started rolling careers for example and realized that I hadn't played a lot of it because I was so overwhelmed with all the features I forgot they existed.
    Once you let a randomizer take over you start discovering and doing things you wouldn't have even thought of otherwise and it even takes the pressure away from having to make a decision.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I've found the same, I often feel overwhelmed especially with CAS because I have so much stuff now that I just don't even bother to scroll anymore. Recently I've been playing with only 4 packs and found the game more enjoyable that way. I like to focus on playing with one pack and then fully immersing in just that pack rather than playing with everything now, it allows me to enjoy what I have a lot more instead of trying to play with everything at once
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I think so, I tend to pick the same things so I might filter by color or pack so I have to pick something else at random to slowly go through things but I'm not sure I've used everything heh.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    Best tip I ever got on this is (originally after the Sims 3 had released all packs and was loaded with content) is to roll for things randomly.
    I started rolling careers for example and realized that I hadn't played a lot of it because I was so overwhelmed with all the features I forgot they existed.
    Once you let a randomizer take over you start discovering and doing things you wouldn't have even thought of otherwise and it even takes the pressure away from having to make a decision.
    Rolling randomly is a great idea! I've had lots of Sims take basically the same path in life. I need more variety.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    @Cherryrose_x
    I go through stages of playing as much as I can, dreaming about it and making plans constantly. To then do nothing for months

This seems pretty normal to me. It is natural for your interest in things to rise and fall, rise and fall, over time. This just means you are a healthy human being with lots of options, interests, and priorities. I love playing the Sims. But it's not the only thing I love. So I don't play it all the time, nor do I expect myself to.
    I tend to log in, download more content in the sales as if I am just trying to complete my collection. Play for like 10 minutes and find I just can't get into it.

If this seems to be your pattern, and you are not happy with it, you might be buying content you don't really have a plan for. I generally don't buy a pack until I have at least one clear idea of what I want to do with it. I know a lot of players like to "complete the collection", but maybe that's not really for you. Consider holding off on getting a new pack until you know exactly why you want it.
    I have tried the legacy and got to the 10 gens, tried to do it again but it didn't hold the same appeal.

I'm not really a legacy player, so not much I can say here. But maybe it didn't appeal the second time because you tried to do it in the same way. Like watching the same movie over and over. It gets boring. I've seen a lot of interesting looking legacy style challenges. Some of those might spark new ideas for you.
    Tried rotation play but got so obsessed with planning their lives out through the generations my husband thought I was mad with my notebooks and flash cards!

Nothing wrong with that! :lol: Some of my stories get complex enough to need notebooks full of info and post-it notes all over the wall. But then... my husband is a pretty hard-core gamer and D&D player. He doesn't seem to think I'm crazy.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    The thing that overwhelms me the most is whenever I open CAS or BB...so much stuff in the lists I have a really hard time finding what I"m looking for. Then ending up finding a few things I wasn't really looking for that I decided I liked too. Then struggling to make up my mind of which to use.
    It's a real struggle.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I do like the idea of the randomiser. I tried that with the traits before as I always use the same ones. I think my most recent Sim is a mix I have never used. I might go back to her for awhile and randomise a bit more as I go along.

I might dig my notebooks out a bit more and try be a bit more gentle on their life plans. :D I was so obsessed with how many kids each family would have and who would marry who, then I realised as the generations went on their would be more and more to rotate through if they all had X amount of children and I think I shyed away from it a bit. I kept the save files safe and tucked away in case I wanted to revisit them again.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited February 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    The thing that overwhelms me the most is whenever I open CAS or BB...so much stuff in the lists I have a really hard time finding what I"m looking for. Then ending up finding a few things I wasn't really looking for that I decided I liked too. Then struggling to make up my mind of which to use.
    It's a real struggle.

This is why I often filter by pack or style, especially in CAS, and only let a sim use items from that pack unless they specifically need something else. For example, today I started a new save and only let the sim wear base game items and hairstyles.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I feel you! I love that there is so much content out there now, but so hard to choose! 😄

I often try to have a concept of a Sim or Sim family already and start focusing on specific packs and specific occults, etc. So like, say for example, I want to focus on doing farming or spell caster stuff, so I just make sims for those packs, and doing interactions and careers (or whatever main feature that attracted me) from those packs.

You can filter the CAS and B/B with packs or custom content as well, to help narrow some choices, too. 🙂
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    edited February 2022
    I play tons of households on rotation, and if you prefer playing just one house, this might not work as well, but anyway... I have assigned one focus career and one focus skill to each house (actually only to the top society houses, but that is not important). This way I play houses where they need to make the best of their assignments, often one household member seems to match well, or none of they do, and I find some combinations quite interesting making me make decisions I would not have thought of otherwise. I get to play most careers and I also get to use most skills with their various skill building equipment - and I discover reward traits in a new way too, because when the household specializes on a narrow field, they might benefit more from certain traits. Career and skill might also affect the interior of their home.

Maybe this sounds a tad complicated, but basically you just pick one random career and one random skill for your family, and allow those two form their lives. Hopefully the two won't match too well :)

I recall a few years back I was in your shoes, I started my game but did anything on my computer but playing. Often I had been on for a couple hours only playing 5 sim minutes, lol. Then Seasons came along, and it was the calendar that changed everything for me - not that I use the feature a lot, but I suddenly had a better understanding of time, and it made everything more enjoyable.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Problem I had with my rotation play was that I had my favourites. So when I got to the ones that I enjoyed the least I would get bored and lose interest, basically rush through their time to get back to the family that I had the most inspiration and ideas for.

And I would always stress about the time I was spending with each family. Like how many sim days do you play each household for?

I am also notorious for not actually playing when I have turned it on. I think last night I logged about 4 hours, but yea, I played for about 10 minutes.
  • Options
    CausingNickel00CausingNickel00 Posts: 6 New Member
    I wish I could experience the game content to be overwhelming… I do not pay much attention to CAS or building. Just to gameplay and even after having most of the extension packs and some game packs that game offers too little for me.. Extension pack makes it fun for 1-2 days unlike TS2 or TS3.. I miss the old sims DLC with tones of content. Like TS3 World Adventures with 3 new worlds. Each world full of plenty new locations and massive amount of gameplay.
  • Options
    simopolissimopolis Posts: 147 Member
    I decided to start with base game and work my way through rotationally adding a new pack each round so that I build the story with my sims. It’s been really fun that way and provides a sense of growth and evolution alongside my sims and makes sure that I use all the new content each rotation!
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I've only bought 2 pack in the last three years, DU and Moschino. Plus, I disabled vampires and cats & dogs. I have all the packs I want or need already. When I watch people on YouTube playing with all the packs, I find there is just way too much going on.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Problem I had with my rotation play was that I had my favourites. So when I got to the ones that I enjoyed the least I would get bored and lose interest, basically rush through their time to get back to the family that I had the most inspiration and ideas for.

And I would always stress about the time I was spending with each family. Like how many sim days do you play each household for?

I am also notorious for not actually playing when I have turned it on. I think last night I logged about 4 hours, but yea, I played for about 10 minutes.

Why rotate to another family if you are enjoying the one you're playing? You can rotate to them when you get bored with your current family or you get nice story ideas for other family that you can't wait to implement.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I personally play one family and in generations my sims age aswell, apart from my vampires which are also from my same family, i play multiple households but they have related to each other, so I will eventually get through everything, I may not play everything at once but I will get to it, for example one of sims could be a celebrity but their kids may grow up to be a doctor and live a normal life, I don't put pressure on myself to play everything aslong as I plan to play it, its not a waste of money to me
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

I wouldn't enjoy rotational play either if I had to play it by rules. I spend as much time as I like with each family, leaving when I feel their part of the story is complete. Sometimes I just check in for one or two Sim days, sometimes it may be two or three weeks. The only real rule I have is that I have fun.
  • Options

Does anyone else get like this? And do you have any tips for getting out of it?

OMG, I totally missed your comment about notebooks and flash cards when I first read this thread.

I played rotational in TS2 and I kept a freaking database in Microsoft Access for tracking things and used Excel Pivot tables tied into the database to get various overview data when I wanted it. Tell your husband about my insanity the next time he thinks you are mad. :lol:

TS3 ruined rotational play (for me) so I'm relatively new to playing rotatonally in TS4 as well, because I just have been playing TS4 the same as how I played TS3 (legacy challenge type play) until over this past Christmas when I decided to start my first new game in years. I'm not up to tracking things with a notebook yet even, much less my old database approach.
    I tend to be manic though, so it's probably just a matter of time.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    Yes. Especially in CAS. I wish I could hide styles I never use and have no plan to.
  • Options
    When I rotate I usually play each household for 1 or sometimes 2 weeks. It has to be consistent for the sake of aging. It can be a slog if I have too many households and too many of them are large though. That's why I stop and start saves so often.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    wahini2024 wrote: »
    Yes. Especially in CAS. I wish I could hide styles I never use and have no plan to.

Yes! I would love to be able to hide CAS or BB items I don't want. In one of the games - it might have been Sims 3 - you could create your own collections in BB mode. I wish we could do that in 4, for both BB and CAS, because it would be good to have an easy way to access specific content in themed games, or consign undesired items to a separate area. It's such a shame we can't create our own Styled Looks in CAS. I use the default ones when I'm feeling lazy or uninspired or when I need outfits for low priority sims, but it would be amazing if we could save outfits of our choice, particularly for themed games.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    When I rotate I usually play each household for 1 or sometimes 2 weeks. It has to be consistent for the sake of aging. It can be a slog if I have too many households and too many of them are large though. That's why I stop and start saves so often.

I don't have aging on. I manually age up my Sims according to whatever story I'm telling myself. I know some leave aging off except for the last family in the rotation and turn it on for everyone then. I don't think there is any wrong way to play though, and ultimately it is what you most enjoy. I just don't like to play with lots of rules.
  • Options
    In one of the games - it might have been Sims 3 - you could create your own collections in BB mode. I wish we could do that in 4, for both BB and CAS.

Both TS2 and TS3 let you do that for BB. And I 100% agree that it's a travesty we can't do it in 4. It's so needed, in both BB and CAS.

I also agree about how awesome it would be to make our own Styled Looks. I'd love if we could not only make our own, but if that was one of the things people could upload and share on the gallery. It'd be so much fun sharing styled looks and adding others' styled looks to our games.
  • Options
    telemwill wrote: »

I don't have aging on. I manually age up my Sims according to whatever story I'm telling myself. I know some leave aging off except for the last family in the rotation and turn it on for everyone then. I don't think there is any wrong way to play though, and ultimately it is what you most enjoy. I just don't like to play with lots of rules.

That makes sense. I like everyone to age at an equal pace so I get a bit OCD about it. I usually age the current family in a rotation and the NPCs when the "lead" family is playing. Occasionally I forgot to turn it on or off but it mostly works for me.

In my new save my plan is to attempt 10 generations in a semi-legacy/attempt to play out every aspiration in a single save. Each generation from the main household will produce 2 kids, the heir and the spare - they will only have more than 2 kids if they get twins. The heir will continue in the family home and again produce kids, the spare will move into a different town and live according to their aspiration and their whims, as will any descendants, as they will produce kids only when they roll the whim to try for a baby, or they have a family aspiration that requires a set number of kids. I'm curious to see how many aspirations I can complete before the founding household produces its generation 10 heir.