Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you build a basement/attic for Storage?

Β«13
StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
I was moving some seasonal things into my current Sim household's basement and it occurred to me, none of the houses I download from the gallery ever have a storage area. I know we have the "household inventory" for storing things, but I tend to make a large room either in the basement or an attic where I put "stuff" that's not currently being used. Like the Christmas tree when it isn't Winterfest, the high chair when there's no toddles in the household, etc.

I don't like Household inventory to get cluttered, so I prefer to keep it empty, or at least mostly empty, so I can find 'new' things more quickly when I get them as rewards/gifts or send my sims shopping.

I'm curious if there are any other Simmers who do that, or if everyone else just uses the Household Inventory and/or sells/rebuys things.
This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods

Do you build a basement/attic for Storage? 131 votes

Yes, I usually or always have a Storage room in houses that I build.
20%
BluegayleJeanlori171957MartinvPlayerSinger2010StormkeepSusanaLeoteStrangerthanmaggiemae8135simgirl1010DarkLady2788DaraviPenguinFoopExxCeeKyreRoenZimz4ZiafarfilipomelCattyBetsyAdmiral8Q 27 votes
No, I just keep things I'm not using in Household Inventory.
18%
auroraael14Icewolfalexspoom13JueJueTheSpotted_CIsb917BoergeAarg61SerraNolwenloubyloulouHarukotyanbixtersSweetieWright_84Internal_ChaosmusteniEvilyn_1007EA_MariLairaSERVERFRASeashoreLiviaDaWaterRat 24 votes
No, I just sell stuff I'm not using and will rebuy it when I need it again.
16%
Kita5399elanorbretonbobbleheadsmommyfreindlylolstilljustme2kiwi84blueyblueskyEmmaVaneLatinaBunnyEnkiSchmidtChicklet453681GlacierSnowKimmerSimmingKimNightlyCoffeeGreenTurtleHandelElisetommightyspritePlumbobi 21 votes
I change it up and do a combination of the above things.
26%
bshag4lvIceyJSikoahGraceSimburianbabajayneheiblumehihi122122mystang1972MindofyYautjagirlgreydonnDaiyuSati101taydevRamblineRoseSerendipity38fallenangel66GemSixxLisamango0annaliese39 35 votes
Other (please explain in comments)
18%
crocobauraCK213grevilliabluePaigeisin5SimplyJenphantasmkissTeeSeahalloweenchildCAPTAIN_NXR7OldeseadoggeMDianaSimsJojoMOMSTERMonaveilGrumpyGlowfishDianesimsDaephenenetney52SimmingalElliandreVeeDub 24 votes

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I don't build a room just for storage, but all my houses have a roof and if there's something I don't currently use I will put it in the attic space under the roof. That attic space is not usually reachable by the sims, so it's just a way to put stuff out of the way.
  • Options
    I don't build a room just for storage, but all my houses have a roof and if there's something I don't currently use I will put it in the attic space under the roof. That attic space is not usually reachable by the sims, so it's just a way to put stuff out of the way.

Yah, i do that sometimes too. I think of that as "attic space". Even when I make a room for it, like a basement, I always lock the door anyway, so no matter where I put the stuff it isn't accessible.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I keep things I'm not using in household inventory. Except:
    • I will create garages sometimes for suburban-type homes. Since our Sims don't have cars, these are usually decorated as storage/laundry, with a space in the center as if the car's just not home.
    • I've made a couple basement fall-out shelters and at least one basement apartment for a Sim who lives with his grandparents.
    • Where there's enough roof space for an attic, or when the house plans call for a small attic room, I'll make one.
    • If I'm collecting something I want to see, I'll put them either under the roof or on a balcony, but not in inventory. I like to have a grid for my frogs so I can see at a glance which ones are missing. Through persistence and breeding, I have in fact caught 'em all.

Personal inventory is for things my Sims might need while out, like a stack of strawberries, treasure map, a book they haven't finished.
    Household inventory is for everything else.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2022
    I sell stuff I'm not using because keeping it on the lot or in the inventory adds to your Lot Taxes and makes bills more expensive.

Attic and basement spaces tend to be used as additional rooms.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I do various things depending on my stories' needs and my own convenience. I only ever do storage spaces in a place if there's an important enough story reason to do it. Otherwise I either put unused stuff in storage until later or sell it and rebuy if I need it (I do the latter thing often with bassinets and the like because most of my sims have very few or no babies, lol).
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    @phantasmkiss, I don't know if you use CC or not, but if you do and are interested in some storage options designed specifically for collectables, "Somecreative CC" has some great designs to make displaying them and seeing what you are missing super easy.

I particularly like the one for frogs, because it has labels so you know exactly what goes where and what is missing. Here's a picture of it:

8abb5ea8648225016f6b4e3eb04b299026d4ae7f.png

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 2022
    Idk it really depends but collectibles i either display or they're in those separate inventory chest thingies like DU and EL ones that are in rooms or sim/household inventory

with attics and closets I sometimes have them if i have odd space in the house that would magically fit that and like i may store things that are moveable in live mode like guitar or whatnot

also i have like dressing rooms and such that are kinda like closet but fancy with decor

but like usually i try to keep them kinda neat like they're similar to other rooms in house its not really shove random items here zone that much

and then i also don't really like keeping temporary objects im not using for a while like winterfest decor in any inventory i usually just sell it and pretend it never existed get new ones if i need em later
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    I usually sell them always. I may not even want to use the same decorations the next year so it's easier to just get rid of them.
    I only keep children's seasonal drawings, they're more "personal". I keep them either in their personal inventory or household inventory.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited February 2022
    I like the idea, but I have never done it. Collectibles often go to a chest.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I change it up and do a combination of the above things.
    I really do like to have basement and/or attic as storage rooms. It is common in where I live to store preserved and pickled food in basement and other stuff (old clothes, seasonal decor, baby strollers) in attic. I like to have my game realistic so that's why I do this. Sometimes there is no space for stairs or ladder so I just keep stuff in household inventory or I sell it. It depends :)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I build basements for other things. 😈
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I do tend to keep a good amount of produce/collectibles in the fridge/chests.

For food produce I'll top up the fridge to 5 of each (highest quality, I have) every time I harvest/collect stuff. The rest gets sold, or stored if it's used in some other kind of crafting that household does.

For collections, I'll either display them randomly around the house (casual collectors) or in a display (empty shelves, or cubes stacked together) if the sim is more of a serious collector. Any extras get sold or gifted.
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    There should be an option for 'no, but now you've given me the idea I probably will'
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    I like to add basements and attics in some cases but not in every build. I play on a MacBook, so the more clutter I have the more laggy the game becomes. So I’ll add them when I think it fits the story mostly.
    Not to mention attics are sadly not a thing in TS4, all we can do is fake one. I wish we could use the space under a roof like in TS3.

I like to adds garages as well, even though we don’t have cars or garage doors.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    If there is room in the house I may build an attic or basement for storage, sometimes I put something in the office though, or outside in a little tool shed. I like store things in the game.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Sometimes, though it depends if I want to use the basement for a secret-not so secret vampire lair or not. Most of the time though, I do keep things in a spare room, like an unused walk-in closet or something.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited February 2022
    It depends on the family, really. If they're poor and need money, I sell everything they don't need. If they're into fabrication, it gets recycled into bits and pieces. If they have a very big house with a lot of space, I usually find some place for everything. Seasonal things like Christmas trees go into the household inventory.

But for some reason I don't understand, in all those years, it has never occurred to me to just make a storage room (even though my houses do usually have either a basement or an attic, if not both). That's actually a pretty good idea.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    That's a good idea!
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I typically build either an attic, basement or both in my homes. The smaller homes I don't due to lack of enough space, though some of my witch cottages have ladders as basement is a great place for brewing potions! I live in an area where most houses have attics and basements, so for me they are a normal part of a home. I build walls first for an attic then place half gable roof on either side and a gable roof on top so it is playable. It does make the roof taller than I like but I want my playable attic. My gallery id is MaggieMae7276 if anyone is interested in checking my builds with basements and attics.
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    I have a garage with functional storage bins, but it was more for the aesthetic than for storage itself.
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    I've never actually thought of putting the seasonal decorations in the basement for storage, I tend to just rebuy it all. Think I'm going to give the basement idea a go now.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    This. But only because I never really thought of adding a basement or attic. But, then, most of my sims are fairly poor and live in tiny houses.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    The problem I've run into with an attic/basement for storage is two fold - first off, if you have certain items in your house, Sims will try to use them, which can mess up routing and action queues. Second, without using T.O.O.L, they're not believably space efficient. :)

Now, I have done basement display rooms for collections. I'll do that a lot with certain Legacies I've played. But for raw storage of "old stuff I don't need at the moment" I'll use the household inventory and just pretend that the house has a storage unit somewhere.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I use inventory for storage.
    I mainly use basements and attics for hobby/work-at-home activities.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    I frequently dig basements under my sims' homes, mostly as additional skill building areas. Usually I finish them with full bathrooms and areas for specific activities but sometimes they just end up being a single large room for dumping stuff and the drywall painted over so the sims don't tweak over it being "poorly decorated". Use to really fret over getting a staircase into the house that didn't too mess up the floor plan but have recently managed to settle on stairs to the basement from the outside, or even a ladder.

Don't know why I've never thought of just creating an outside shed, been essentially doing that with greenhouses, and it'd be much easier if there's enough room on the lot.

Occasionally I manage to make an attic but the roofs are usually not big enough for one.
    The cake is a lie