Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What traits do you never or rarely use ?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    eilemaeilema Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm not fully against giving my sims negative traits, but I always love them too much to give them unflirty, lazy, erratic, glutton or slob, and I avoid hates children as well cause I always make my sims have kids lol. I also avoid insider and dance machine cause they are pretty useless imo
  • Options
    DuckyQueenDuckyQueen Posts: 342 Member
    I hate noncommittal because I always do family gameplay, Hates children is also a bad trait for that same reason. I also hate Evil and mean because I don’t like autonomous mean interactions
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    What traits would you need to give a sim to play the game on “hard mode”? Unflirty would be if they had the any of the romance life goals or whatever it’s called. Or hates children for the long linage one
  • Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    The only traits I don't use are:

Kleptomaniac - I don't like items disappearing from my venues. I blacklisted this trait in MCCC so that NPCs won't get it either.
    Recycle Disciple - Seems pointless. They just hug trash and autonomously recycle their own belongings if you don't recycle enough.
    Insider - This could have easily been Outgoing.
    Evil - Laughing maniacally is a bit too cartoony for my tastes.
    Proper - It's boring. Especially now since you can just dislike mischief with Preferences.

Traits I use sparingly:

Vegetarian/Lactose Intolerant - I'm not a fan of these taking personality traits.
    Erratic - I use this trait mainly for storytelling purposes.
    Child of the Ocean/Islands - I use these for storytelling purposes, too.
  • Options
    CybersbeCybersbe Posts: 108 Member
    I used Cheerful once, then I learned that apparently, other sims don't like it.

Kleptomaniac is annoying when an item disappears from a community lot.

I used to like Goofball a lot, but the autonomous toilet pranks have pretty much demoted it to a trait I'd only use on Sims meant to be unlikeable people.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    I don’t care for goofball. The autonomy with it is annoying and it’s too easy for them to get too playful.

Insider and Loves Cats/Dogs are a waste of a slot to me, since I rarely give my sims pets and I barely use clubs in my current save.

I usually roll random traits to keep things interesting, and these are typically the only ones I reroll for. I like most of the “negative” traits because they make sims more interesting to me, even if they’re sometimes more difficult to manage. I had an unflirty/proper sim once and he was so fun to play since he was always getting annoyed by everyone around him (it fit how I envisioned him even before rolling those traits). The exception is klepto, which is fun for my sims but annoying for unplayed sims.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I completely forgot to include Goofball in my earlier post. I used to use it fairly often back when it was more like the name it bore, mostly for happy-go-lucky types or sims with careers of a comedic sort. But when it was changed to no longer mean "goofball" as much as "prankster" I stopped using it. Ironically, the Humor & Hijinks festival from City Living is now pretty much just a Pranksters & Slightly Meaner Pranksters festival, and it's hard to tell which side is which anymore.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,468 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    There's just a few that I don't like.

I will never use the erratic one, because I have family and a former roomate diagnosed with schizophrenia and manic bipolar disorder and I think this is the worst illness anyone can possibly have, so I'm just not able to find auditory hallucinations or delusions funny at all. I also don't use the Vampire trait that gives hallucinations to others. I know they got a lot of complaints about it and I'm glad they removed the straight jacket on the trait, because honestly the trait is just so offensive to me I will not even touch it haha. I don't understand how this fits in with their inclusiveness policy, making sure every ethnic, gender and sexual minority is included, while at the same time mocking the most severe mental illness in an insane trait with a straight jacket on it. When the trait comes up I usually swap it for the paranoid/conspiracy theory one. I don't really see that one as connected to such severe mental illness and disability.

I also don't like the slob one. The farting humor and constant puddles is really annoying. I usually switch that for the lazy one, because I prefer the lazy interactions.

And the childish one. It's too weird to see the parent Sim go get Theresa the dinosaur toy out of the kid's toy chest and play with it lol

@Elliandre I know exactly where you're coming from. I also have a family member with severe schizophrenia and the original trait stood out to me to be a mockery of that specific mental illness. And while I have nothing against having a sim who behaves strangely or who is "mentally off" in a generic or "Simish" way, the text on the moodlets (like references to hearing voices and having delusions) were pretty specific to that illness so when they popped up it just made me feel very, very sad. I never wanted the trait to be removed or anything, but I did want the text altered to just be something nonsensical and bizarre without being too close to something real. (Like Luna Lovegood and her "nargles and wrackspurts".) I do use the trait, but I stopped reading the moodlets after that and just pay attention to the Sims in game. I honestly couldn't tell you what they say now.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited January 2022
    I don't use a good majority of reward traits. Mostly the ones like never weary, steel bladder, etc mostly due to I just want my sim to usually suffer cause it seems boring if they don't have to eat, be social or go to the bathroom or sleep. Use the ones from seasons in variety for sims that may be use to warmer weather or sims use to colder ones along with others. Usually traits concerning needs i don't bother with.

Far as CAS traits goes my least used one probably has to be the book worm one along with Art Lover. Sims seem to look at and read books so much especially for fun that it doesn't really do much for me. Art lover feels more or less the same as well. Both you can critique book/art or discuss about book/art, so those are pretty MEH to me.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,698 Member
    The dance machine is so useless imo. Dancing only has 5 levels, is not like it’s a boost or anything. It only makes them want to dance, it’s more of a hobby than a trait.
    Insider is a completely useless trait. It’s wasting a trait slot for a trait that lets you know the clubs, but the clubs could also very well depend on your traits. Like huh? That should’ve been a reward trait

I am about to release my Sims from the Dance Trait. I find her running upstairs just to dance to the music on the radio in her kids' room! Woman, I told you to fix dinner for your family. Your children are so hungry they can't concentrate on their homework, and your Toddler is being threatened by Social Services! I don't believe this is the first time I've used this Trait, but come on! This is the first time it's been on the overbearing side. Yikes.

I also don't like Mean; Foodie makes the Sim fat; Lazy doesn't appeal to me either. I never use Evil, I'm against all things evil. I have had some fun, however with Erratic, in fact it's way better than Insane, which it replaced. I do try to give my Sims at least one negative Trait to help them be well-rounded characters. My Physician is also clumsy. Not good for a surgeon. :open_mouth: Back in Sims3 when we had Five Trait slots, he as also childish.

Without seeing the list before me I can say there are probably a whole group of Traits I have decided not to explore.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @GalacticGal, The Foodie trait has been toned down since the game first came out in terms of it causing the Sim to gain weight. I have a few Foodie sims in my current game and they are all quite fit...I can't remember the last time any of them autonomously grabbed food when they didn't actually need to eat.

Pretty much all the trait does now is give them moodlets when they eat good or bad food and encourage them to talk about food.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,698 Member
    I admit, I haven't used it since the beginning of the game. It could be that many players were complaining that their Sims were getting fat and that coincided with my having used the Foodie Trait for the first time. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am now in the habit of locking my Sims' physique in place using flags from MCCC. Then I simply don't have to think about it. I do wait until a Sim is at least a Teen before I lock it in, though. If a Toddler gets too chubby, I will fix it in cas.fulleditmode. Other than that, I rely on MCCC.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    Traits I intentionally avoid for my actively played sims are slob, glutton, lactose intolerant and erratic. I just don't enjoy seeing some of the actions that make the sims less appealing.

Childish is a trait I don't enjoy for my sims, but I had an engineer create a servo with the childish trait, and it was actually quite endearing.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised how much fun I had with the unflirty trait. It was quite refreshing from the norm. With any other sims they can go from strangers to married (and expecting) within a few sim hours just by spamming the romantic interactions. With unflirty sims, I actually had to take my time and let them go through an actual old-fashioned courtship that could take days or weeks, which I guess is a fairly long time in sim time. It was a nice change though, and I had a lot of fun with it.