Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Pronouns- Combinations

LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
I saw some of the info on the new pronouns and I was just wondering if they would make it possible to combine them? Like in the recap video I saw talking about the announcement& on the website, it's just She/Her, He/Him, They/Them, and Custom allows for singular, plural, and possessive pronouns of your choice for one pronoun.
But what if you're a She/her They/them? And you want to make a sim like that too? It's totally great that they're bringing this in, and it's probably not done yet, so hopefully they make an option for people who use multiple pronouns. Or the option for people/sims who/to use Any pronoun.
Also trying to figure out exactly what this will affect in game. I haven't played in awhile, so maybe a lot has updated communication wise, but the only instance I can think of pronouns being used in game is when you ask a sim what they think of another sim. But I may be wrong.
So I'm wondering if they're gonna make new interactions and dialouges. Bc most of the time other sims are just referred to by their names. Or if it's just more something to make us feel better bc they're working on being more inclusive, which is fine.
Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    edited January 2022
    Why would anyone be a She / Her and They / Them simultaneously? Or is this a thing too? And if so, why? What would be the reasoning behind such a thing?

If a sim feels like a “she” on a Monday and a “they” on a Tuesday, I’m sure it would be easy enough to change that in CAS.

For the team to figure out different pronouns in some of the 18 different languages is challenging enough, let alone the implementation of a combination of many.
    Or is there something I’m not getting?

• Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    It would come in handy for conjoined twins or maybe people with multiple personality disorder? Just guessing.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Woah I'm so confused now, what is a multiple pronoun? How can you be a She/Her/They/Them? Isn't They/Them the gender neutral option, so without She or Him? Are we talking like if you are an Alien and you have a disguise who is a female using She/Her pronouns, but the Alien Sim is a male using He/Him? Or your Vampire form is masculine, so He/Him, but your regular form is wearing women's clothes and uses They/Them? This is intriguing, maybe the mermaid form is using They/Them and genderless, because technically it's a mermaid so who can say what is mermaid gender culture, but the human form you might want to be male or female... I just, wow, I don't know, that's an interesting question, I hope you get an answer.

At any rate, I am really hoping for total optional customization here so that you can just type in whatever you want, hopefully, and then get dialogue options for that, and otherwise I really hope the game goes back to assuming gender based on CAS and using standard English. I think they should make sure there is not a small letter cap for the customization.

I support them adding it, even if I don't use it. I think it's more important for trans players creating a self-Sim and having fun with the game. It's not really something I need, but maybe we will get some new art work like paintings or deco objects from a Trans artist during the update so that would be cool. I don't want Maxis to try and be a pronoun pioneer and attempt to make history, they already lost that crown to Animal Crossing, so they should just focus on fixing bugs, making new content and refreshing packs not spend millions of dollars researching global pronouns in hundreds of languages because our Sims speak Simlish.
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm curious if you can stick something in the title that is totally stupid. Like a Sim who decides to identify as an onion, or a hovercraft. Maybe they subsist on a diet of paint chips.
    I would hazard a guess and say that the system is opt-in, so you won't have to go through all your Sims and manually set their preferred pronoun. Perhaps it'll live alongside the clothing choice and walk style selections in CAS. This is conjecture on my part though.
    I haven't really been keeping up with new stuff in the game. Time for me to track down some info on this feature.

https://ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/customizable-pronouns-coming-to-the-sims-4
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    edited January 2022
    Some people are happy with more than one set of pronouns. If people addressed me with female or neutral pronouns I'd be equally satisfied. That's where something like she/they might come in. I'm pretty sure this update only lets us state one option.
    StuffyMarx wrote: »
    I'm curious if you can stick something in the title that is totally stupid. Like a Sim who decides to identify as an onion, or a hovercraft. Maybe they subsist on a diet of paint chips.
    You can probably write what you want (outside of things covered by the profanity filter) if you want to poke fun - but be aware there's a difference between pronouns (words like 'her' 'they', 've' etc.) and nouns (words like woman, onion, the things you added) which aren't the thing this update relates to.
  • Options
    You can probably write what you want (outside of things covered by the profanity filter) if you want to poke fun - but be aware there's a difference between pronouns (words like 'her' 'they', 've' etc.) and nouns (words like woman, onion, the things you added) which aren't the thing this update relates to.
    That sounds like the way it'll be set up. That Twitter feed with the example sentences clarifies the three terms that are able to be edited.
    https://twitter.com/TheSimCommunity/status/1483523796925571080
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited January 2022
    People who are genderfluid may feel genderless some days and gendered others.

It's possible we'll be able to type "she/they" in one box and all the TNS will use that text as written. "Della got promoted. She/they now make(s) $X per hour" - The issue I see here is the phrasing/grammar: she makes vs they make.
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Multiple pronouns are usually used by those that are genderfluid. Or sometimes, such as myself, who don't mind being called "They/Them" if someone doesn't know my pronouns. I identify as She/Her They/Them.

From what I saw, I don't think it supports multiple, but I do think it's customizable if someone does want to change a sim's pronouns whenever one wants to. So if someone feels like "They/Them" on a day, the can change it on the fly.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    There was an interesting article posted about this on Reuters today. It's an informative read, discussing the way gender alters language in non-English languages. It then goes on to discuss gender identification and pronoun usage. It's quite lengthy, but worthwhile if you have time to kill.
    https://graphics.reuters.com/GENDER-LANGUAGE/LGBT/mopanqoelva/index.html
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    StuffyMarx wrote: »
    There was an interesting article posted about this on Reuters today. It's an informative read, discussing the way gender alters language in non-English languages. It then goes on to discuss gender identification and pronoun usage. It's quite lengthy, but worthwhile if you have time to kill.
    https://graphics.reuters.com/GENDER-LANGUAGE/LGBT/mopanqoelva/index.html

Thanks for sharing this. It was well written.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    baniduhainebaniduhaine Posts: 33 Member
    I'm not sure as to whether strings in the game itself handle it the same way, but at least from the perspective of strings in mods, on the soon-to-be-former system, for example, a string could be like {M0.He}{F0.She} and change what is displayed depending on the gender currently assigned to the Sim that's being referred to. I suppose it's too early to tell, but if I had to guess, they might just replace that with a {} that would presumably just be filled in depending on the pronouns you have assigned to them. Perhaps the blank will just have to specify what part of the sentence the word is to belong to (if they're to use the one referring to the subject, or the one relating something they're using, etc).

Of course, I'm speculating here, but if it's just a blank to fill then you might perhaps be able to specify she/they, though presumably that would lead to the blanks always being filled in that way. One thing I hope is that you don't need to enter cas.fulleditmode to update/change them like you need to when you want to change names, hopefully they're not locked in.

Again, I emphasize I'm just speculating, and they might just change the way strings work entirely for this, so I could be wrong.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Why would anyone be a She / Her and They / Them simultaneously? Or is this a thing too? And if so, why? What would be the reasoning behind such a thing?

I can't speak for OP specifically, but as someone who prefers she/her and they/them, I'm on the non-binary scale and while I use "she/her" for the most part cause it's easier irl; sometimes I dislike it and would prefer to use they/them instead (but flip flop between). But most of the time I would be fine with either.

But yeah, this is something I can imagine just you can change in CAS whenever you want.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I just wanted to warn my fellow simmers to be very careful talking about this subject. There's someone in the powers-to-be that will take your right to talk about things.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    I don't think anyone wants to 'take your right to talk about things' as long as you adhere to the forum rules.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I did abide by the rules but unfortunately, they are trying to veto me. I don't understand that, because I always remember my manners, not be prejudice, be kind to others. Maybe being nice is now a no no.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    I'm sorry you had to experience that.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    This gets more ridiculous by the second. How does this look like in real life? Are we supposed to ask for someone‘s prpronouns every ten seconds to avoid misgendering? I don’t mean to be offensive but this is really getting tiring. In between kits and ‘inclusivity‘ people (and especially EA) have forgotten that TS is meant to be a silly game.
  • Options
    LeccaLecca Posts: 126 Member
    This gets more ridiculous by the second. How does this look like in real life? Are we supposed to ask for someone‘s prpronouns every ten seconds to avoid misgendering? I don’t mean to be offensive but this is really getting tiring. In between kits and ‘inclusivity‘ people (and especially EA) have forgotten that TS is meant to be a silly game.

Irl it looks like people displaying their pronouns in places where they commonly display their name (I.e. email signatures, name badges, social media such as twitter Instagram and LinkedIn). This is especially helpful online and during web communication as we usually have to assume someone’s gender based on context clues that we may or may not be reading wrong. If it’s right there it takes out the guess work. I have no way of knowing how you, @dearie_blossom identify. Sure I can guess, but based off what?? Stereotypes?? A picture of a sim??

In the business world, especially now that many of us are working out of office, it is especially helpful when interacting with clients/coworkers who we haven’t met or been properly introduced to. I have a “gender neutral” name, many of my clients haven’t met me and assume I’m he/him till they see my pronouns in my email. I’ve had that same problem on my end, it’s difficult to address an email to Mr./Ms if I don’t know which they prefer.

People also purchase pins to place on clothes/backpacks. My partner was gushing over a she/they mug at target. People like to have their identities recognized and validated. No one is asking anyone to go around “asking for someone’s pronouns every ten seconds”, just to be mindful that sometimes when you assume someone else’s pronouns you can be wrong, they may correct you, and you should adjust going forward. I’m sorry it’s tiring to be considerate of others pronouns, it’s just as tiring to be misgendered. Especially when you are constantly having to correct others or defend your choice.

I wanted to respond to your comment but I’ve seen many people on these pronoun threads echo your sentiment. While many seem to be under the impression that “pronouns are only a thing on twitter” and “only 3% of the population care/are affected by this” is simply not true. And even if it was, what makes that “3%” any less important, valid, or real than any of you?

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited January 2022
    This concentration on pronouns for in-game or IRL just gives me a VERY NEGATIVE impression about the those people who display them. My hope was that it is not so in-your-face, but being where the name selection is in CAS just is too in-your-face.
  • Options
    Crikey.
  • Options
    This concentration on pronouns for in-game or IRL just gives me a VERY NEGATIVE impression about the those people who display them

Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the closet: local users says seeing pronouns makes him transphobic.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    This concentration on pronouns for in-game or IRL just gives me a VERY NEGATIVE impression about the those people who display them

Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the closet: local users says seeing pronouns makes him transphobic.

That is not what I said. I said it does not leave a positive impression when I view it, no matter who. One reason I only made it to question 2 in the interview linked in one of the pronoun threads was because it was repeated with every response even though the same 2 people were listed. That was a too in-your-face overkill. If there is a need to list it, only once is enough. Some of us concentrate on more important things. Like I concentrate on the impression an individual gives me based my interaction with the person IRL or in online.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Lecca wrote: »
    Irl it looks like people displaying their pronouns in places where they commonly display their name (I.e. email signatures, name badges, social media such as twitter Instagram and LinkedIn).

Person A has she/her and they/them in the bio. How do you know which one to choose? I‘m asking because this thread is about multiple pronouns.
    I have no way of knowing how you, @dearie_blossom identify.

Does it matter? I have been referred to as ‘he’ on forums before. I have had e-mails say ‘Dear Mr. [lastname]‘. I have had my last name confused for my first name. Some of my contracts are under a wrong name because people put a ‘n’ where there is none. I too have messed up a few times. At most it’s an annoyance. I don’t understand why some people act like it’s some capital offense or apocalypse.
    Sure I can guess, but based off what?? Stereotypes?? A picture of a sim??

Just as you said. You have no way of knowing me. And this is true for 99.9% of people you interact with actively or passively. You will not know the preferred pronouns of the the person standing behind you in line. You will not know the preferred pronouns of the person harassing you in the club. You will not know the preferred pronouns of the person who was caught cheating on the spouse. So what do you do when you want to talk about these people? You make assumptions and almost every single time your assumptions will be correct.
    I’m sorry it’s tiring to be considerate of others pronouns, it’s just as tiring to be misgendered. Especially when you are constantly having to correct others or defend your choice.

I wanted to respond to your comment but I’ve seen many people on these pronoun threads echo your sentiment. While many seem to be under the impression that “pronouns are only a thing on twitter” and “only 3% of the population care/are affected by this” is simply not true. And even if it was, what makes that “3%” any less important, valid, or real than any of you?

Sure, the 3% aren’t less important but they aren’t more important neither. I’m not walking on egg shells for the 97% so why should I do it for the 3%? I’m not going out of my way to accommodate the 97% so why should I do it for the 3%? Imagine if everyone was expected to write their name in phonetic alphabet next to their name just because some people are tired of having their name constantly mispronounced, e.g. Ashley (áʃlɪj). This is how ridiculous the pronouns/gender identity debate sounds to me.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    I remembered when I was happily surprised to be represented in Sims in the early days of Sims 1......

You know... back in the day.....When gay and lesbian folks were not allowed to be legally married (and some countries still don't allow this and some places are even still dangerous and prejudiced for many LGBTQ+ folks, including places in US)... when LGBTQ+ folks were dealing with lots more prejudice, or even be allowed to be shown kissing or having any public displays of affection. When LGBTQ+ folks were bullied, insulted, belittled, killed.... And still dealing with a lot of that (but more subtle) to this day around the world....

If anyone dared to show LGBTQ+ couples, or ask gay marriage, or gay couples to be shown on the media, etc, then they're being shouted down as being "too political", "too controversial", "gross/disgusting", etc.

Some countries even criminalized (and still do) LGBT relationships. Gay/lesbian/trans folks were bullied and even killed. (Look up LGBT history.)

Amazing how much progress has been made, huh? (And we STILL have a looong way to go, as there is still lots of prejudice towards LGBT+ and PoC folks even today).

Sims had gay/lesbian couples since The Sims, which was a big deal and a great step in progress. This was BEFORE gay marriage was even legalized in real life (in US or in many parts of the world)!

I also remembered back when Sims 2 had what, "unions", NOT marriage! :neutral: (Basically: Only the straight sims in Sims 2 had the word "marriage" in their unions, while gay/lesbian folks had only the "union" word. So Sims 2 was a big step, but still had a way to go...)

Sims has ALWAYS been about being inclusive, so I'm really glad other folks are getting represented.

Remember, us LGBT folks still face prejudice around the world over, and only some countries have recently added legalized gay marriage. And yet, the Sims games still remembered to still represent us (gay/lesbian/bi).

Now, another minority wishes to be represented, so that's good and another step for progress. Sims was always taking steps forward for many folks, including the underrepresented. :smile: Sims games should always be giving us options and ways to control our world, so hopefully, everyone can have optional toggles or ways to control the way their sims are represented. :smile:

Representation is never a bad goal, but one that can be badly done, of course. Still, we can always continue to voice for better representation--and for better games, of course. (We can ask for both!)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    This concentration on pronouns for in-game or IRL just gives me a VERY NEGATIVE impression about the those people who display them. My hope was that it is not so in-your-face, but being where the name selection is in CAS just is too in-your-face.

Why is it bad for some folks to display pronouns (in real life/online)? You don't have to display pronouns if you don't want to, but other folks should have a choice to have the option to have these pronoun choices in real life and online.

The pronoun in the Live Mode in the game is a bit cramped, yes, I do agree with that, and I don't want the pronouns in the name either, but the whole thing about some folks choosing their pronouns in real life/online (outside of the game) shouldn't be a big deal, though...?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top