Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University Still Worth It?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

All the sims that are ready for Uni, I place them in a household, make sure they are all enrolled with scholarships. Once I send one to the dorms, which switches gameplay to the dorms, I then immediately go back for each sim to send to same dorm so I can play them all at the same time. Or if I'm not mistaking, you can "add to family" each of your enrolled sims after you send your first sim to the dorms. Also some how I was playing 8 sims in my dorms but they also had one other roommate I couldn't control. I gave him a bed. It was fun. I was able to use the cheat to edit the dorm to add fun things for them to do. I play the the enrolled sims until they graduate then go back to rotation.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    edited January 2022
    I still like University. I play one term per rotation which is possible because I built my own dorm (which is categorized as residential).

I use UNI it to skill up certain sims for some community tasks, a system I made up, though. I also have many Houses where each house were given one career and one skill to focus on, so their offspring really need to build those skills or prepare for that career. I find it fun when adding a little bit of forced strategies, it's also fun when some fails to reach their House's goals :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    JAL wrote: »

I had actually never tried that before, so now I had to find out, and yes, with freebuild it works and you can edit your dorm.
    Thank you for answering!
    I'm glad to hear that, because no matter how well I plan ahead I always end up having something that needs "correcting" in build mode once I'm actually playing a Lot. I have MCCC set to always have free build on for that reason.... LOL

I can second that. I forgot the thermostat when I was moving the furniture around. I took the front left corner bedroom for the married couple. That meant I had to place the other single bunk somewhere else. There was room in the large back corner room on the same side for four bunks. Voilà.

I use MCCC, too, Where do I set the enablefreebuild on cheat to be at the ready? Please, and thank you, in advance.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022

I use MCCC, too, Where do I set the enablefreebuild on cheat to be at the ready? Please, and thank you, in advance.

You can turn it on with MCCC by accessing the MC Command Center function at a computer and selecting "MC Command Center"->"Notification/Console/Menu Settings"->"Console Command Settings"->"Build Buy Settings"-"FreeBuild Enabled"->"Enabled"

Or you can just type it into the console yourself by hitting Ctl-Shift-C and typing "bb.enablefreebuild"
    It's a stock game cheat code so it works without using any mods.

Don't use it on residential home lots unless you want to be able to build for free and also be unable to access household inventory. I leave it enabled in MCCC by default once I'm done with most home renovations because I end up tweaking community lots far more than the home lot at that point, but otherwise it's best to only turn it on when needed.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Awesome, thank you!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    University is nice but I feel like it's not very friendly to those who play with large households

If you plan to do a dorm run with multiple sims good luck, better keep sims at home for large uni runs or a uni housing lot

Overall I still like the pack I just hadn't had the motivation lately to do another run of it
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I think the sims 4 has done University great, I love the fact that my sims don't have to stuck in the uni world to complete University, they can also live at home and live life as normal, the rabbit holes don't bother I like having a little break from my sims sometimes, which to me has gave it more playability
  • Options
    ImDragoneImDragone Posts: 76 Member
    As much as I believe in getting a doctorate... My Sims 4 Sims don't have time available to touch the universities if going to keep from being homeless. Between their Needs, their chores, their skill-building for work to stop being so broke, and their work itself, there's no room for college. They also struggle to have time for relationships despite how burned out I get on Sims when they don't get to socialize. :(
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    I typically will have my non - heir sims (so, the spares, any other young people involved with my legacy family) go to University. Heirs don't go to uni mostly because it feels like a cheat--you skill up so quickly with those classes, it really makes careers etc very simple.

However, I rarely have them attend school on campus. For one, I attended school off campus and it's the reality for a lot of people. Secondly, to me Britechester is basically Oxford and I play pretty realistically, so at-home uni attendance allows me to pretend my sims in Willow Creek or Oasis Springs are attending stateside schools. Also--on campus gameplay is fun but it just takes so stinkin' long to graduate I prefer them to get along with their lives and learn from home.

There are some exceptions, especially if I'm playing in "Europe" (Britechester, Windenburg, HoB), have a sim with a travel bug, or want to have my sim meet some cute YA sims. But I've also set the "university student hangout" trait on a few things across my worlds (nightclubs, a few cafes, some bars that also have hostels), so there are other ways to meet students.

I also always toggle lifespan from normal to long while my sim is in UNI so they don't drain their entire lifespan studying. The only exception to this is when a sim decides to return to school as an adult or something like that.

These little adjustments have made University fun for me, so for me it is worth it. I also find their BB mode stuff some of the most integral to my own personal buildings and I love the little decorative objects you can keep in your inventory--I wish there were more items like that.