Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help me decide what happens next

AVvXsEjG4D1RYQWbr4jiMlpAocJag4fG8AfT3SFiovVrfhXiAvLecLeOXCdVeH6-FHH68J4-E_uqvkNMxqNffTNxZLXwZgd8Db0pr8ZFAUtfrIH593phGrHQWEHsWA13eeoy9N-FJeRw-Z51gveZkVZxIprT2Ykp7181Z9zn5MjAmFvC3aPYG6xI2JXx9Wat4g=w574-h640

My latest sim, Melissa, has gotten into a spot of trouble and she needs advice. She is in her mid twenties, goes to college and lives in a dorm and has been trying to juggling studies with finding "the one". As she comes from a bit of a messy childhood, with a dead-beat dad, a single mom struggling to make ends meet while living with the grandparents to eventually a hot-headed, evil, neat-freak for a step-dad, she has put very high standards on herself. She is not going to settle - she wants true love, a fantastic home, and a perfect family life.

Her traits are perfectionist, arrogant and family orientated, and her current aspiration "soul mate" which she always intended to change to "super parent" once she was married and having her first child.

However, she had not counted on getting pregnant right now.

Last night was the summer solstice, and Melissa went partying. She has been a bit down because her soul mate aspiration hasn't been going all that well. She's had a few dates which has all ended poorly and while there are a few potentials nothing much has happened. Well at the party things happened. A keg happened, and all of a sudden she has made out with a couple of guys and whoohooed in a bush with one (her first woohoo). And now she is pregnant. (A bit funny that the perfectionist forgot about birth control).

Now Melissa wants you to know that she is definitely NOT easy, and this was not her normal behaviour. But regardless, she is where she is - pregnant with a guy she hardly knows (she knows he loves books, which is a good thing), while tentatively sort of falling for another (they just exchanged numbers), and living in a dorm halfway through her education. So what does she do now?
Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!

Help me decide what happens next 59 votes

She keeps the baby, marries the father of the child and make the best of the situation
6%
luthienrisingmusteniSeashoreLiviaZoeyevester 4 votes
She keeps the baby, but keep dating until she finds her "one" (which could possibly include the father or someone else)
67%
SikoahGraceStormkeepMi9shaoscarMonaSolstraaleTheSpotted_Csimgirl1010greydonnRamblineRosespice3DaraviZozotanarg13annaliese39fiercephoenix91WaytoomanyUIDsLyrieChadSims2EnkiSchmidtSnaveXsFlapMDianaSims 40 votes
She doesn't keep the baby, and save pregnancy for when she's ready for it
13%
DarkLady2788ladybreidkappowanHandelElisetomVeeDubKeeperOfTangentsHermioneSims 8 votes
Another option (write in comments)
11%
GalacticGalAnnie2008CAPTAIN_NXR7cyncieLatinaBunnyColton147147mightysprite 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    She keeps the baby, but keep dating until she finds her "one" (which could possibly include the father or someone else)
    She needs to find someone who is a good match for both her and the child-to-be. Marrying just because of a pregnancy is just never a good idea. It sets the whole family up for possible misery. As true in the Sims as it is irl!
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 809 Member
    This surely is a lot of drama, I'm feeling bad for her...

Anyway, given the premises ("she has put very high standards on herself. She is not going to settle - she wants true love, a fantastic home, and a perfect family life") and her traits ("perfectionist, arrogant and family orientated"), to me she doesn't sound at all like someone who would easily accept any compromise to her original "perfect family" plan.

I don't think she would accept to marry someone who is basically a stranger to her, even more so because of her relationship with her dad and stepdad which, probably, made it harder for her to trust others at the beginning of a sentimental relationship. On the other hand, to carry on the pregnancy now would mean to make a ton of compromises (she would have to leave the dorm and find another home, find a job to make enough money for her and the kid, try to continue with her studies and, in the little time left, try to look for a serious relationship), and considering her aspirations and the high expectations she put on her she would risk feel unhappy and unsatisfied if she followed this route.

To me, she sounds like someone who would seriously take into consideration to end this unexpected pregnancy, for then focusing again on her current aspirations (finding a soul mate, graduating, and starting together their perfect family, hopefully). In either case, anyway, this is definitively not an easy choice for her...
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.23 posted on the 14th of May 2024*
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited January 2022
    Poor girl, first woohoo in a bush... and pregnant. :#:D
    Of course she shouldn't settle for anyone that she's not in love with just because she's pregnant. She's an adult and she made a mistake but it doesn't mean that she should make another one.
    Having a baby shouldn't stop her for getting an education or finding the soulmate, the love of her life. She can do it. :)
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,481 Member
    edited January 2022
    Help me decide what happens next

Oh thank goodness she just woke up from that nightmare!

Second chance! Tonight is the summer solstice party for real, but this time ‘round she knows exactly which dude and what bush to avoid. 😆

• Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 721 Member
    edited January 2022
    Does she have any family or friends that can take care of the child while she's in school?
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,961 Member
    How about adopting out baby to another family?

This would cause her some headaches in the short term, as she may need to move out of the dorm in order to give birth.

The adoption can be done via Manage Households. I just checked in my game to see if babies can be transferred between households this way, and they can. It will not work to have the adoptive parents try to adopt in gameplay via the computer.

So for your story, this option would give her a rough semester, followed by sadness at saying goodbye but relief at knowing baby is with a family that can care for them well, and the ability to work on herself and get to a place where she can have children with the right partner in the future and raise them well.

And then... will she have a relationship with her first child later in life? Will the child come and find her somehow?

• Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited January 2022

Anyway, given the premises ("she has put very high standards on herself. She is not going to settle - she wants true love, a fantastic home, and a perfect family life") and her traits ("perfectionist, arrogant and family orientated"), to me she doesn't sound at all like someone who would easily accept any compromise to her original "perfect family" plan.

I don't think she would accept to marry someone who is basically a stranger to her, even more so because of her relationship with her dad and stepdad which, probably, made it harder for her to trust others at the beginning of a sentimental relationship. On the other hand, to carry on the pregnancy now would mean to make a ton of compromises (she would have to leave the dorm and find another home, find a job to make enough money for her and the kid, try to continue with her studies and, in the little time left, try to look for a serious relationship), and considering her aspirations and the high expectations she put on her she would risk feel unhappy and unsatisfied if she followed this route.

To me, she sounds like someone who would seriously take into consideration to end this unexpected pregnancy, for then focusing again on her current aspirations (finding a soul mate, graduating, and starting together their perfect family, hopefully). In either case, anyway, this is definitively not an easy choice for her...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Melissa says you are the friend she didn't know she had as you can obviously read her mind and emotions and truly understand what is going on in her head. She says she will try to go on a proper date with the father first, to see if he could possibly be the one before making her final decision, but she is very much leaning towards this solution.

To everyone else who answered (and voted), thank you, as well. This might not have been the option in the poll that got most votes, but @HermioneSims (LOVE the name by the way) got her reasoning just right (I just didn't know it for sure until I read it).

As for a nightmare option - that would be cheating, and Melissa says she is not the cheating type (she is very firm about that). As for adopting the baby away, that would be the last thing she'd do, given her history with a father who didn't want her and her twin brother, and a step-dad from hell. No, if she is keeping the baby, she's raising it, and right now she says she'll only do that if she's marrying the father, and that is only if she believes he could be the one. The option to return to her mum and step-dad to live there and raise the baby is way too close to her mother's story, with the exception that her mother was loved by both her parents and while her mother loves her, Kenneth (step-dad) does not, and she doesn't even want to hear what he has to say about all of this. No, thank you.

So thank you everyone who answered and now Melissa feels she knows which answer is right for her.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    Annie2008Annie2008 Posts: 108 Member
    She keeps the baby and continues her studies.
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 809 Member
    JAL wrote: »

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Melissa says you are the friend she didn't know she had as you can obviously read her mind and emotions and truly understand what is going on in her head. She says she will try to go on a proper date with the father first, to see if he could possibly be the one before making her final decision, but she is very much leaning towards this solution.

To everyone else who answered (and voted), thank you, as well. This might not have been the option in the poll that got most votes, but @HermioneSims (LOVE the name by the way) got her reasoning just right (I just didn't know it for sure until I read it).

As for a nightmare option - that would be cheating, and Melissa says she is not the cheating type (she is very firm about that). As for adopting the baby away, that would be the last thing she'd do, given her history with a father who didn't want her and her twin brother, and a step-dad from hell. No, if she is keeping the baby, she's raising it, and right now she says she'll only do that if she's marrying the father, and that is only if she believes he could be the one. The option to return to her mum and step-dad to live there and raise the baby is way too close to her mother's story, with the exception that her mother was loved by both her parents and while her mother loves her, Kenneth (step-dad) does not, and she doesn't even want to hear what he has to say about all of this. No, thank you.

So thank you everyone who answered and now Melissa feels she knows which answer is right for her.

I'm happy to read you found my comment useful!

Go Melissa, this is one of the hardest choices in your life, but the most important thing is to find the best answer for you. Good luck! :)
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.23 posted on the 14th of May 2024*
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,742 Member
    I just went through the whole pregnant while in Uni thing. My Sims originally lived in a replaced Dark Wing lot at Britechester-U. I use mods so I was able to pause the pregnancy. This was their first Term at Uni, too. Now, the young couple are married, but that didn't matter to the game. When the Term was complete, six of the seven were invited to sign up, while the mother-to-be was told to pack her bags. This was a disappointment, to say the least. I rolled back a save and accidentally to the one where she first got pregnant. Oopsie. Had to terminate, something I don't like to do. But it allowed her to continue on at school. I strategically waited until they only had about four days left of their final Term, I allowed her to get preggars, this time MCCC paused it on its own. :open_mouth: But I was able to set her to her first trimester of pregnancy. Since she doesn't have to take any more classes, they didn't kick her out. Yay. So, just be aware your Sim likely won't be able to get in, first off, or will not be able to re-enroll for the next Term. I suppose, you could have her take classes from home. That might be your way around it. Best of luck!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    KeeperOfTangentsKeeperOfTangents Posts: 21 New Member
    Oo pregnant whilst at University! She has lot going at the moment (or so it seems to me) so I think she should save pregnancy for when she is ready.
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I don't know what option you decided to go with, but I'm a big believer in true love despite having no experience myself and I know she'll find her person, so I don't think she should settle for someone she's not in love with.

I did pick to keep the baby since it makes sense as a family oriented Sim for her to keep and raise a baby despite circumstances not going the way she initially planned. But that's just my interpretation.
  • Options
    benphoenix19benphoenix19 Posts: 92 Member
    I picked to keep the baby and find someone new, however, it would be a good story to have her marry the dad and try to make it work for the child, and then if/when they don't work out and you can write a divorce story line for the child.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,694 Member
    See, my answer would be “roll back a save” 😀
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    JAL wrote: »
    AVvXsEjG4D1RYQWbr4jiMlpAocJag4fG8AfT3SFiovVrfhXiAvLecLeOXCdVeH6-FHH68J4-E_uqvkNMxqNffTNxZLXwZgd8Db0pr8ZFAUtfrIH593phGrHQWEHsWA13eeoy9N-FJeRw-Z51gveZkVZxIprT2Ykp7181Z9zn5MjAmFvC3aPYG6xI2JXx9Wat4g=w574-h640

My latest sim, Melissa, has gotten into a spot of trouble and she needs advice. She is in her mid twenties, goes to college and lives in a dorm and has been trying to juggling studies with finding "the one". As she comes from a bit of a messy childhood, with a dead-beat dad, a single mom struggling to make ends meet while living with the grandparents to eventually a hot-headed, evil, neat-freak for a step-dad, she has put very high standards on herself. She is not going to settle - she wants true love, a fantastic home, and a perfect family life.

Her traits are perfectionist, arrogant and family orientated, and her current aspiration "soul mate" which she always intended to change to "super parent" once she was married and having her first child.

However, she had not counted on getting pregnant right now.

Last night was the summer solstice, and Melissa went partying. She has been a bit down because her soul mate aspiration hasn't been going all that well. She's had a few dates which has all ended poorly and while there are a few potentials nothing much has happened. Well at the party things happened. A keg happened, and all of a sudden she has made out with a couple of guys and whoohooed in a bush with one (her first woohoo). And now she is pregnant. (A bit funny that the perfectionist forgot about birth control).

Now Melissa wants you to know that she is definitely NOT easy, and this was not her normal behaviour. But regardless, she is where she is - pregnant with a guy she hardly knows (she knows he loves books, which is a good thing), while tentatively sort of falling for another (they just exchanged numbers), and living in a dorm halfway through her education. So what does she do now?

She gets rid of the baby, focus's on her books and get that degree she went there to get. Stop looking for "the one". The "one" got her pregnant. In the bushes where she made out with "a couple" of guy's no less. Sounds to me like Melissa is looking for not the "one" but for "anyone". Don't let that "Soul Mate" aspiration become "Check Mate" for some Romeo, Cassanova, Don Juan type.
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    I picked to keep the baby and find someone new, however, it would be a good story to have her marry the dad and try to make it work for the child, and then if/when they don't work out and you can write a divorce story line for the child.

In real life you get rid of the baby. It was a one night stand. Ditch the dad. He didn't want it anyway. Get back to the books. And stop looking for "the one". The "One" is looking for you. You will find each other.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    It really depends on whether she goes through with the pregnancy or not.

If she does give birth, but she still doesn’t feel ready to be a mother just yet—and does not want to sacrifice some things for her child’s well-being—then maybe she could put the baby up for adoption, as an alternative option?

If she keeps the baby, then I think she should wait for “the one”, and not just settle with the father just because she got pregnant by him. Let her get to know the father and the other guys. Take her time to get to know the guys while also doing her studying and taking care of baby. Her true love would be understanding of her situation, and maybe even help her out. A true test of character for the potential soul mate…
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,145 Member
    Or maybe lives with the father of her baby to get to know him better & see if she & he can fall-in-love.