Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you really need the television?

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    It all depends on what timeline my household is living in.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    It's a convenient way to increase motives while increasing skills, but I've done rags-to-riches and off-grid living that couldn't afford a television or couldn't run one, and it was fine. Better in fact, because painting gets lucrative quickly (completely unrealistic but it's the game). It also points out just how much a person can accomplish if they are doing things to build skills, garden, exercise, DO something, other than staring at a screen or playing on the computer. A guilty reminder of what I could change irl if I wanted to be awesome.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    About all of my sims have a tv, even my active sims. My athletic sims use it for studying moves and such for their careers. But they actually use the stereo ( to dance ) autonomously more than they go to the tv. Many times my sims will watch tv while they eat to get their fun up at the same time. Some sims use it to up their cooking while having fun, or to do their workouts. It’s something that more than one sim can get fun from at a time. I didn’t know you could use it to raise the handiness skill, my sims have always fixed things or use the wood working bench to raise that.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Yes. It is used for some holidays from Seasons.
  • Options
    LyssandriLyssandri Posts: 33 Member
    I always put one in my houses, but they don't get used a lot. Usually, my Sims will watch TV if they're bored or I'll have them watch something to fulfill a whim, but that's really about it.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm not big on tv in real life, so I never have them in my Sims' homes. For kids, I put them on the monkey bars when they get home to increase their fun and fitness before starting homework. For adults, a few minutes gaming on the PC will take care of any fun deficits.

There were a few more skills they could learn in S3 on the tv. I have my Sims learn cooking by starting off with safe stuff (salads) in portions small enough that they have to cook every other day. Cooking builds the cooking skill ridiculously fast in comparison with watching tv or reading a skill book.

I also tend to build tiny houses, and I can move the laptop in and out of their inventory and use it at the kitchen table to save space.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,878 Member
    Definitely. For family movie night. With popcorn and ice cream. 😋
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I also use the TV for raise my Sims' fun meter. I've also noticed that in my current household, the Mom or Dad will make use of it from time to time.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    You know, come to think of it, with so many people talking about having a computer instead of a tv, it got me thinking... it would be great if our sims could also watch movies on their computers in addition to the tvs. Half the time in real life, I'm streaming on my computer instead of turning on the tv; I really only turn on the tv if we're watching a program together as a family, and even then we still sometimes use our gaming desktop instead of the tv. Why shouldn't our sims have Simflix on their computers, too?
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I find it more useful & helpful in TS4 than I did in 3. Need? No. But I usually place one, just in case. I use stereos more often.

Exactly!! We don't really need it. But it comes in handy. Most NPC's avoid it. They'll come in and make a beeline to the pc.

I have all my computers locked using the "Computer Security Settings..." menu option. They're locked to either "household" or the individual sim who uses the computer as their own.

As for the TV? The majority of my sims don't have one. If they want to refill their fun meter in a hurry, they either play video games or, if they're single dudes, they call Cassandra Goth, my simworld's resident "woohoo worker", for a quick tumble in the bed.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    You know, come to think of it, with so many people talking about having a computer instead of a tv, it got me thinking... it would be great if our sims could also watch movies on their computers in addition to the tvs. Half the time in real life, I'm streaming on my computer instead of turning on the tv; I really only turn on the tv if we're watching a program together as a family, and even then we still sometimes use our gaming desktop instead of the tv. Why shouldn't our sims have Simflix on their computers, too?

I had the same thought - when I watch a movie, it's always on my PC because the screen is better. (I've got an ancient picture-tube tv from c. 2000.)

Toddlers love the tv, and it's cute to see them dancing in front of it, but they can only watch it while the parent is watching it, because the parent will turn it off if they stop watching and the toddler can't turn it on by themself. [Yes, Google, 'themself' is now a word.]
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I like having one for realism in my game. I’m a control freak for Sims and love using it for storytelling. I like having my kids on Saturday mornings have breakfast and watch cartoons.😊
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I use for story telling also. Friday night horror movies during thunderstorms ⛈ 😁
    I just wish we could leave the TV running
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    auricio288auricio288 Posts: 149 Member
    I need them to complete the TV Season Premiere day task.
    Zvt4d0O.gif
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Many of my sims are video game nuts, phone, computer and tv. I have my sims practice certain games on the computer and the game console, then enter tournaments...professional tourneys can pay nicely for first place. Heck, I even put them in the bars. :D In the Stargazer Lounge and the OS Dust Bowling Center, there are the biggest tvs for video console play for my gamers. Love the game mats but sims are only limited to an hour, they would starve rather than give up the game mat. :/
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Montrase102Montrase102 Posts: 330 Member
    I have one sim household who lives in an old house with no TV or computer. They get enough entertainment and fun from reading. Of course nothing stops them from playing games on their phone. I wish there was an option to have no mobile phones for them.
  • Options
    Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    All my sims have TVs in their homes. The homes feel incomplete without them.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I have one sim household who lives in an old house with no TV or computer. They get enough entertainment and fun from reading. Of course nothing stops them from playing games on their phone. I wish there was an option to have no mobile phones for them.

Same. I plan historical or low tech themes sometimes and would love to turn phones off at times.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Nh6650 wrote: »
    All my sims have TVs in their homes. The homes feel incomplete without them.

That reminds me if Friends where someone says they don't have a TV and Joey says "What's all the furniture pointed at?" I always have a TV unless I'm playing with a theme where it doesn't fit.

I love the idea of watching shows on the PC, it's how I watch most things these days.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited November 2021
    Yes, I absolutely need one in every home my Sims are in. I enjoy documenting my Sim stories, writing out dialogue, posing, and taking screenshots of everything. I use my Sims watching the news as a kind of plot device, but it's also useful for scenes where my Sims are just relaxing together or by themselves and intimate moments.

I don't build homes, I just download them, and if a home doesn't have a living room with a proper television setup, it's a step closer to me deleting the home than keeping it. Except if, like the above mentions, a television clashes with the theme I'm going for.

My only gripe with TS4 television functionality is, unlike TS3, you can't just turn on the television and leave it on in the background. Not without cheats, anyway.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2021
    It depends on the sim.

As you say it's useful for certain careers (Culinary, Comedy, Intererior Decorator, Athletic), but just a fun item for most sims.

I believe I'd use them as character defining items more often than not. Most Lazy sims would have them. Geeks would have them for console gaming. Movie buffs would have them. Comedians for the stand up. Bros or jocks would have them for the sports. Parents might get them for the kiddos, etc.

I usually start with a budget and prioritise 1 main fun item for the household (after any career necessities) and more for individuals if I can afford it. I usually choose a computer due to the usefulness, with bookshelves or cheap portable stereos second or for OTG lots. TVs are more of a luxury for anyone except Lazy sims.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Its great for toddler skills. Creativity/imagination whatever that skill is called. It also somewhat teaches them to talk/communicate because other sims will come and sit with them while they watch and chat. Its pretty much the only time my sims use the tv. If I have one in the comedy field they'll use it to skill up but otherwise not so much.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I love the TV! I like to watch the fireplace channel in the winter. Sometimes they do a workout. I like that they can eat popcorn while watching a movie. I like to watch the news channel. I think it's more interesting with the Holidays too. I always make a thanksgiving holiday and choose the watch football icon lol. The New Years countdown on the tv is cute too.
  • Options
    Tequila_Rose_13191Tequila_Rose_13191 Posts: 143 Member
    If it isn't related to their skills I don't. (Comedy or Cooking) I don't put a computer in either unless they get it via promotion.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    auricio288 wrote: »
    I need them to complete the TV Season Premiere day task.

My Sims go to the local bar to watch the tv there. :)

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: