Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you really need the television?

For me, not really. The only thing that I can think of the television being useful for is learning how to cook for the Culinary Career Path. Or if I'm playing a new sim and I want him to learn how to cook before he burns the house down. Other than that, I rarely watch it. Neither do NPC guest watch it much. Especially if there is a open computer on the lot. So I spent over 3000 simoleons on something that I or anyone else rarely use, and watch my taxes go up as a result just to look good? However, if the T.V. is the most entertaining device in the home, then NPC's may watch it. I try to force it's use by NPC's by locking up my pc. Or I'll buy a unbreakable pc for 10,000 simeleons and let them go away at when they come over.

Comments

• Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I often use the TV to increase the fun meter using the comedy channel.
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I often use the TV to increase the fun meter using the comedy channel.

Ah ha!! Having a dinner party and having everyone become playful has just been discovered! Thx
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I find it more useful & helpful in TS4 than I did in 3. Need? No. But I usually place one, just in case. I use stereos more often.
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I find it more useful & helpful in TS4 than I did in 3. Need? No. But I usually place one, just in case. I use stereos more often.

Exactly!! We don't really need it. But it comes in handy. Most NPC's avoid it. They'll come in and make a beeline to the pc.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I have sims that prefer to watch TV rather than use the computer. I also like it when they watch a movie together, gives couples something to do together other than woohoo. I also recently discovered that there is a fireplace channel. If you don't want a fire hazard from a real fireplace, a TV is a great alternative. 😁
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Paired with the fitness sp it makes for a good way to work out without heavy hardware or having to go outside jogging when the weather isn't good.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I quite enjoy making run down, grungy starter homes these days, so most of the money goes into making the place look trashy, so I usually don't have enough to place even the cheapest TV, unless I go into the debug catalogue and use the retro looking one from Eco Lifestyle.

Besides, ever since they introduced bikes with Discover University, that's been my go-to method of filling my sims fun meter. It's also handy because it helps keep my sims in shape, providing that you're just trying to keep the weight off rather than dramatically change their body shape. I don't really bother with TV's anymore, even when the household has plenty of money to buy one.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    Plumbeeb wrote: »
    I quite enjoy making run down, grungy starter homes these days, so most of the money goes into making the place look trashy, so I usually don't have enough to place even the cheapest TV, unless I go into the debug catalogue and use the retro looking one from Eco Lifestyle.

Besides, ever since they introduced bikes with Discover University, that's been my go-to method of filling my sims fun meter. It's also handy because it helps keep my sims in shape, providing that you're just trying to keep the weight off rather than dramatically change their body shape. I don't really bother with TV's anymore, even when the household has plenty of money to buy one.

Can you get the bike from cc without University?
  • Options
    texxx78 wrote: »
    Paired with the fitness sp it makes for a good way to work out without heavy hardware or having to go outside jogging when the weather isn't good.

You've got Seasons. I don't now whats wrong with me. That and University seem to be the only must have packs to make a sims life complete.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I play a decades save, so my sims don't really get a TV until the 1950's era. I also lock the office, which hold the typewriter (cc computer) unless it is needed for a work task. Through this gameplay, I have found what non-electric items sims can be drawn to do.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member

Honestly, I'm not sure.

I did a quick search, but most of what I found were either for decoration, or just recolours of the bike that came with Discover University. There was also a bike that came with Cottage Living if you pre-ordered the expansion.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    There are bikes in Eco Lifestyle too.
  • Options

Honestly, I'm not sure.

I did a quick search, but most of what I found were either for decoration, or just recolours of the bike that came with Discover University. There was also a bike that came with Cottage Living if you pre-ordered the expansion.

You know, I don't really want to be a farmer being raised in Chicago and all. But it would be nice to have a bike like a Peleton for my sims in their homes or something like that.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

The only thing for me is that I'll need the expansion pack to get them. EA is making a killing causing us to buy those packs. TS5 with be out in 2030 at this rate.
  • Options
    I play a decades save, so my sims don't really get a TV until the 1950's era. I also lock the office, which hold the typewriter (cc computer) unless it is needed for a work task. Through this gameplay, I have found what non-electric items sims can be drawn to do.

I sometimes build a home with a office for my sim to use the pc. And I'll lock it up so other sims can't use it.
  • Options

The only thing for me is that I'll need the expansion pack to get them. EA is making a killing causing us to buy those packs. TS5 with be out in 2030 at this rate.

Well, if you don't want the EP, fine. The bikes in university EP are nicer though, those in Eco Lifestyle are recycled things made of wood, they look like they came straight out of Woodstock and the 60s. Cottage living bike is no longer available, it was a time limited bonus content.

• Options

Well, if you don't want the EP, fine. The bikes in university EP are nicer though, those in Eco Lifestyle are recycled things made of wood, they look like they came straight out of Woodstock and the 60s. Cottage living bike is no longer available, it was a time limited bonus content.

It would seem that the modders would have made a Peleton type bike for The Sims by now. I'll check into it. And I need University and Seasons.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I can't remember the last time I watched any of the TV's programme. So, I often forgotten to even included the TV in my Sims house. It's not really something necessary to have, but there's some event, like the movie premier requires you to watch it.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I like having a TV. I just wish we could ask visitors to join us while watching the regular channels. I can form a group and channel surf “together”, but for some reason I can’t pick a channel to watch this way. I can watch a movie with chosen sims, so this is usually what I do, or I just have them sit together and hope the visitor doesn’t walk off to do something else.

I find enjoyment making boring adults watch the news and Politisim. I pretend their kids don’t want to watch along and change the channel. But no one cares. I think it’s just snobs who find certain channels boring. I hate it when an adult male turns on BeTween TV. I wish it made more sense along these lines.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »

You've got Seasons. I don't now whats wrong with me. That and University seem to be the only must have packs to make a sims life complete.

Latelly i wasn't that happy with the rain... it was getting too much on the way :lol: but the rest of the ep is 👍
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Most of my Sims don’t have a tv.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Definitely not a need, but it doesn't hurt imo. With channels that build comedy, handiness, & cooking, it's one of the few devices that lets sims skill build while also eating & chatting for instance, plus can give some specific moodlets which is handy. Also, it's used for daily tasks for careers like higher level Athlete. But yeah, for, say, the social media career, sometimes the saty at home task is "raise comedy skill" or "become playful" and I can just sit my sim down in front of the tv and get it done before they even finish breakfast.
  • Options
    HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    I really don't believe the tv is a necessity either. If my sim wants to increase their cooking skill, they can always buy a skill book as well. However, I always furnish my sims' homes with one because I'm big on aesthetics and it just looks abnormal to me to not have a tv. ITs funny I find myself saying this because I rarely watch tv, LOL. I've considered not having a tv on purpose so that my sims can enrich their minds through reading or such, but so far have not explored that option. I think I will next time I play.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    edited November 2021
    It depends. I actually tend to use the tvs more often for movies than tv shows, as most of my sims tend to have what I think of as their favorite movies. It's also nice to have families make some popcorn and then sit down to watch a movie together. But I also like to have one for the Season Premiere event. My Bro sims like to sit around and watch sports together.** My comedian sims like to watch comedy. My business and intellectual sims tend to like to get home from work, have a coffee, and watch the news. Some of my stay-at-home-parent sims like to watch the Romance channel in the afternoons, which is like watching soap operas in my head canon.

Basically, it's just there for a little extra flavor, depending on what interests my sims have. Some of my sims don't have one, but a lot of them do. I tend to micromanage my sims, though, so they aren't just constantly gravitating toward the tv or computer, which would be tedious.

**ETA: I can't believe I never thought of adding a Super SimBowl holiday, I need to do that now.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    It's good for leveling skills, fun meter, and watching movies in my game. All of my sims homes have a TV.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/