Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Update. 9/21

Comments

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Re counters - I just had the weird idea of separating the board/base and the counter/top. Two different objects that could be mixed and matched across counters and styles would have been a much more rational solution, and probably fewer objects would be needed. Maybe we'll see that in TS5.

Same for walls btw, why not have trims separated from the paint/wallpaper? They mostly have common heights anyway.

This reminds me of the good old Sims 2 days where we could choose the swatch of the base and counter top separately. Funny how a game from 2004 had a more flexible and superior swatch system for furniture.

I dont think you can do this in sims 2. It has swatched for the entire counter, not separated. Some swatches have the same color bottom but different tops, but its not seperate per se
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Does anyone else have issues with swatches for some of the objects? The simplicity dining table have some unpickable swatches and the oopsie daisies flowers only the default swatch show? Do you think repairing might help, or does anyone else have the same issue? 🤔
    I checked if there was a mod interfering, but it doesn't seem so. Can anyone check if they have this issue?

I only checked the oopsie daisies and all the swatches were selectable. I don't have mods or cc in my game.

Sorry, I only checked the oopsi daisies. I needed to exit the game and fix windows 10 security because it blocked the game from my documents folder and the galaxy.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited September 2021
    Does anyone else have issues with swatches for some of the objects? The simplicity dining table have some unpickable swatches and the oopsie daisies flowers only the default swatch show? Do you think repairing might help, or does anyone else have the same issue? 🤔
    I checked if there was a mod interfering, but it doesn't seem so. Can anyone check if they have this issue?

I only checked the oopsie daisies and all the swatches were selectable. I don't have mods or cc in my game.

Sorry, I only checked the oopsi daisies. I needed to exit the game and fix windows 10 security because it blocked the game from my documents folder and the galaxy.
    Thanks, I'll try to repair, that might help.

Update: actually I found out it was a mod after all. Relieved that I know what it is now. I can have my swatches!
    Post edited by Aine on
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,924 Member
    Re counters - I just had the weird idea of separating the board/base and the counter/top. Two different objects that could be mixed and matched across counters and styles would have been a much more rational solution, and probably fewer objects would be needed. Maybe we'll see that in TS5.

Same for walls btw, why not have trims separated from the paint/wallpaper? They mostly have common heights anyway.

This reminds me of the good old Sims 2 days where we could choose the swatch of the base and counter top separately. Funny how a game from 2004 had a more flexible and superior swatch system for furniture.

I dont think you can do this in sims 2. It has swatched for the entire counter, not separated. Some swatches have the same color bottom but different tops, but its not seperate per se

@StrawberryYogurt , yes we can :)
    OTvEuCZ.jpg
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

OTvEuCZ.jpg

Omg yes you're right! I apologize. I should know better since I still play it too 🤣🤣🤣
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member

Haha you beat me to it. :p
  • Options
    @StrawberryYogurt , haha , that happens :p
    @simgirl1010 , lol, sorry :joy:

• Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    logion wrote: »
    How is build mode gonna run after this update? It's already incredibly laggy to use build mode.

I am ignoring build mode (and photography) more and more because of this. Sad as it is a pretty significant part of the game!

I have 0% lag in build mode. What is your computer specs?

Its a reasonably chunky machine, tho' it is getting on a bit - 4 core i7 (last gen), 16GB RAM, 1070 6GB video card.

The odd thing is, you can clear the lag by simply bringing the option menu up and closing it. Then the game runs smooth again.

The lag happens when entering or leaving build mode. So if I enter build mode, the frame rate plummets - hit esc for menu, hit esc again to close menu - nice and smooth - very odd. I have seen reports of other people having this problem dotted around the forums and there is a thread on the answers site.

I have noticed it is worse the longer you run the game and the more times you go in and out of build mode. It also happens if I use the photography.

Yes, there is a workround, but it still puts cognitive friction in the way of using build mode.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    For whatever it is worth, I had some weird catalog thumb errors in CAS - I think it started with the CoL install. The thumbs were blank (but graded grays), when i clicked on such a grey icon it would still be gray, but when I then clicked something else the grey thumb got it's correct thumb icon. It was a tad confusing, not sure if it fixed itself over time (I don't hang out a lot in CAS these days). I have the mod allowing 5 columns in CAS, btw.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Let me get this straight - some people are complaining "Oh, it's really annoying that EA's giving us free stuff." This is the sort of thing that gets Occults nerfed to uselessness.

Perhaps some CC can now be uninstalled?

Okay, so some people are running on below minimal stats and on cramped computers.

The Sims is not a game designed for Laptops - heck, Laptops aren't designed for games! - and it's had its minimum stats raised before for a REASON. Okay, I feel bad for you if you can't run the game perfectly. But at the same reason, there's no reason for people who are playing on computers that ARE good enough to miss out on content.

I am complaining about free stuff. Yes, because I didn’t ask for it and I don't want it. There’s nothing included that I can see will add anything to my game.

It’s interesting that you think only paid stuff can be complained about. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

I only have 3 sets of CC but I haven’t used any since the start of ‘Summer of Sims’ and every update disables CC and well… might as well wait till all this updating is over. When will that be? 😂😂😂

I play on a laptop. It can handle the game as long as I’m careful with how much I add. So all this extra stuff I don’t want isn’t helping. I haven’t used much they added for free over time anyway. I’ve yet to see any of the Mexican stuff they said got added and wasn’t there Caribbean as well?

I don’t see why free content can’t be separate to patches that fix stuff 🤷🏼‍♂️. That would be so helpful.

Well, if your computer doesn't work with minimum specs for the game, that sounds like a "you" problem.

Actually it’s a THEM problem.

My laptop does work fine. 3 EPs, 4 GPS, 4 SPs and 4KITS at present. It more than meets requirements but I get lags if I have a lot of packs.

E.g, I had to take out City Living to trial Eco Lifestyle. I was more than happy to take out Eco Lifestyle to get two extra game packs. Now I know to disable packs.

I want Cottage Living but I’ll have to check. So I might not get the stuff I want because of 149 other bits and 1,200 swatches I didn’t ask for.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Let me get this straight - some people are complaining "Oh, it's really annoying that EA's giving us free stuff." This is the sort of thing that gets Occults nerfed to uselessness.

Okay, so some people are running on below minimal stats and on cramped computers.

The Sims is not a game designed for Laptops - heck, Laptops aren't designed for games! - and it's had its minimum stats raised before for a REASON. Okay, I feel bad for you if you can't run the game perfectly. But at the same reason, there's no reason for people who are playing on computers that ARE good enough to miss out on content.

I am complaining about free stuff. Yes, because I didn’t ask for it and I don't want it. There’s nothing included that I can see will add anything to my game.

I only have 3 sets of CC but I haven’t used any since the start of ‘Summer of Sims’ and every update disables CC and well… might as well wait till all this updating is over. When will that be? 😂😂😂

I play on a laptop. It can handle the game as long as I’m careful with how much I add. So all this extra stuff I don’t want isn’t helping. I haven’t used much they added for free over time anyway. I’ve yet to see any of the Mexican stuff they said got added and wasn’t there Caribbean as well?

I don’t see why free content can’t be separate to patches that fix stuff 🤷🏼‍♂️. That would be so helpful.

Well, if your computer doesn't work with minimum specs for the game, that sounds like a "you" problem.

My laptop does work fine. 3 EPs, 4 GPS, 4 SPs and 4KITS at present. It more than meets requirements but I get lags if I have a lot of packs.

E.g, I had to take out City Living to trial Eco Lifestyle. I was more than happy to take out Eco Lifestyle to get two extra game packs. Now I know to disable packs.

I want Cottage Living but I’ll have to check. So I might not get the stuff I want because of 149 other bits and 1,200 swatches I didn’t ask for.

Sorry to say, but it DOES sound like your laptop isn't really a gaming laptop. Sims is a resource heavy game; always have been. Are you playing in laptop mode?
    I have a gaming pc that are a couple of years old now, and it runs all the packs and tons off CC with no issues. There is a slight lag that they DO need to fix, where you have to press the escape button and back to get it to stop, but it shouldn't lag that much.

Also, new swatches won't effect your lag that much, since the game isn't loading additional meshes. HOWEVER something you can do is limit the amount of DIFFERENT textures and objects you use on any lot. The devs do this when they build houses that comes with the game - you can watch the gamechangers videos on them building for the game - they have rules on how to limit the pressure on the computer.

Also do you delete localthumbcache? it's very useful to freshen up things.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    How is build mode gonna run after this update? It's already incredibly laggy to use build mode.

I am ignoring build mode (and photography) more and more because of this. Sad as it is a pretty significant part of the game!

Its a reasonably chunky machine, tho' it is getting on a bit - 4 core i7 (last gen), 16GB RAM, 1070 6GB video card.

The odd thing is, you can clear the lag by simply bringing the option menu up and closing it. Then the game runs smooth again.

The lag happens when entering or leaving build mode. So if I enter build mode, the frame rate plummets - hit esc for menu, hit esc again to close menu - nice and smooth - very odd. I have seen reports of other people having this problem dotted around the forums and there is a thread on the answers site.

I have noticed it is worse the longer you run the game and the more times you go in and out of build mode. It also happens if I use the photography.

Yes, there is a workround, but it still puts cognitive friction in the way of using build mode.

Your machine is better than mine, I have the exact same specs except a 1050 TI.
    The only lag I experience on highest settings, 1080p 75fps is a one second stagger in CAS.

Now I am not saying you are doing anything wrong, nor that anyting is wrong with your machine. I have worked in tech support since 1994 and I have concluded computers are magical. (Only half joking ;) ).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options

Sorry to say, but it DOES sound like your laptop isn't really a gaming laptop. Sims is a resource heavy game; always have been. Are you playing in laptop mode?
    I have a gaming pc that are a couple of years old now, and it runs all the packs and tons off CC with no issues. There is a slight lag that they DO need to fix, where you have to press the escape button and back to get it to stop, but it shouldn't lag that much.

Also, new swatches won't effect your lag that much, since the game isn't loading additional meshes. HOWEVER something you can do is limit the amount of DIFFERENT textures and objects you use on any lot. The devs do this when they build houses that comes with the game - you can watch the gamechangers videos on them building for the game - they have rules on how to limit the pressure on the computer.

Thank you so much! 😊
    Definitely will follow your tips! 👍
    I keep forgetting to delete the localthumbcache! 🤦🏼‍♂️

I’m saving up for a new computer, I think with the present operating systems and demands of programs it’s a must.

• Options
    edited September 2021

Thank you so much! 😊
    Definitely will follow your tips! 👍
    I keep forgetting to delete the localthumbcache! 🤦🏼‍♂️

I’m saving up for a new computer, I think with the present operating systems and demands of programs it’s a must.

My pleasure! Yeah, I learned ever since Sims 2 to delete caches, because it helps, especially if you have mods and such, but even without. I recommend you watch people like Deligracy and Lilsimsie talk about building houses for the packs they built for and the rules that they use, I think that would help you a lot.

As for your new computer, look for a decently prices gaming desktop, because you get more for your money and you'll be able to upgrade it when needed. Or at least look for a gaming laptop - I would say a top notch processor and a lot of RAM is crucial for Sims games - ofcourse a good graphics card is always good, especially if you get a graphics card with a lot of ram too. Oh and don't forget to get a SSD drive to install your OS and the sims on(the main hardrive), loading will be so much faster. Good luck!
    Allons-y!

• Options
    edited September 2021

Your machine is better than mine, I have the exact same specs except a 1050 TI.
    The only lag I experience on highest settings, 1080p 75fps is a one second stagger in CAS.

Now I am not saying you are doing anything wrong, nor that anyting is wrong with your machine. I have worked in tech support since 1994 and I have concluded computers are magical. (Only half joking ;) ).

Yes, I am pretty confident the machine is up the task. I am actually playing in full 4K and apart from the entering/leaving build mode problem I get a rock solid 60FPS. I do get some performance dips if I have been running the game for a long time - plus 6 hours or so.

It 'feels' like entering/exiting build mode is switching video modes.

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” - Arthur C Clarke :)

Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    edited September 2021
    Here's a few more tips re lagging:

If you often take screenshots, move the folder to desktop (out of the game) every now and then. Same if you record videos (check that folder too (it's easy to hit record by mistake)

Try limiting number of saves.

Try limiting entries in your album (local gallery), especially if you have doubles or saved households/lots that you will never need. You might upload some content to the online gallery and delete it from your local album. (Don't ask my how this can affect your game...)

If you have files in your Mods folder (CC) check that file names do NOT include anything but normal letters, numbers, "-" and "_". Any special characters and spaces will slow down your BB catalog. I renamed just about 20 the first time I checked this, and even when fixing that few filed had a positive impact. I'm surprised that pro cc creators out there still use [] and () and space in their file names.

I assume that large saves including tons of sims will be tougher to play. I think lots of paintings and photos might be a negative thing, same with tons of graves and ghosts. If your save is massive, you could try a different routine of playing different households in separate saves.

Do check the unplayed households (Manage households). There has bee events over the years where the game created tons of copies, not sure if they got deleted when the glitch was fixed, or we need to do that ourselves.

I have some lag in my game, and it is much better when I avoid angling the camera horizontally, but rather try to stay within 50 degrees. I think my game loads more stuff in the distance when I "look up". This gets better if I stay with the same household for a while, but normally I jump about a lot...

Adding: Free hard disc space is essential. Free up space by cleaning up other large files (move to portable drive, cloud, burn whatever). Most of us keep tons of old huge files that we will never again need.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options

If you often take screenshots, move the folder to desktop (out of the game) every now and then. Same if you record videos (check that folder too (it's easy to hit record by mistake)

Try limiting entries in your album (local gallery), especially if you have doubles or saved households/lots that you will never need. You might upload some content to the online gallery and delete it from your local album. (Don't ask my how this can affect your game...)

If you have files in your Mods folder (CC) check that file names do NOT include anything but normal letters, numbers, "-" and "_". Any special characters and spaces will slow down your BB catalog. I renamed just about 20 the first time I checked this, and even when fixing that few filed had a positive impact. I'm surprised that pro cc creators out there still use [] and () and space in their file names.

I assume that large saves including tons of sims will be tougher to play. I think lots of paintings and photos might be a negative thing, same with tons of graves and ghosts. If your save is massive, you could try a different routine of playing different households in separate saves.

Do check the unplayed households (Manage households). There has bee events over the years where the game created tons of copies, not sure if they got deleted when the glitch was fixed, or we need to do that ourselves.

I have some lag in my game, and it is much better when I avoid angling the camera horizontally, but rather try to stay within 50 degrees. I think my game loads more stuff in the distance when I "look up". This gets better if I stay with the same household for a while, but normally I jump about a lot...

Useful - thanks :) Looks like some housekeeping is on the cards...
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options

Adding: Free hard disc space is essential. Free up space by cleaning up other large files (move to portable drive, cloud, burn whatever). Most of us keep tons of old huge files that we will never again need.
    Very helpful thanks! 👍

• Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Did they also update the basegame shower tub combo ? I don’t recognize some of tbd swatches. Same with the kids house shaped bookshelf, I didn’t remember it having a green swatch ?
  • Options
    Laptops aren't meant for gaming. I know you can get powerful laptops, but they're not. They're meant for carrying work around.

Mine is. 😄

Yep same :) And better last some time , it cost enough :smiley:

• Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Did they ever fix the Family Aspiration glitch (I think it was reading to kids)?
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    This is really nice! Matching will be easier now.
  • Options
    I have that problem too. My sims can’t complete that aspiration because their kids are teenagers and they can’t read to them.
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    Did they ever fix the Family Aspiration glitch (I think it was reading to kids)?

• Options
    I do hope we get more swatches updates (that fence gate that’s blue and white for instance).
    There’s also the chevron hardwood floors that could really use more swatches. Oh and please pleaaaaaaase add a white swatch to the desks and bookshelves that don’t have one and all the career unlockable desks and bookshelves too.

Some clutter that could do with more swatches if they want to add more : The toothbrush and kitchen ustensiles pots too, the kids backpack and schoolbooks clutter.

And if they want to add more colors, why not colored swatches of the S. Cargaux counters ? Or with a wooden countertop.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I almost never use base game stuff, so I kind of wish the new swatches had been optional, because I may need that space for something else