Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Skin Tones NEED an update. Genetics NEED fixing

So I was playing with this family and when I aged up their first baby... which was not adopted FYI... and the baby did NOT look like the parents. At all. The most glaring thing was the child's skin tone, not to mention the eye color. I can understand the hair texture difference... but everything else was unacceptable. Instead of describing the discrepancies any further, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. (Sorry if they're blurry, imgur hates it when I screenshot anything)

Mom
2i2H33j.png

Dad
sxRYMK4.png

Original Toddler
mhJoxap.png

What the Toddler should have looked like
GZrKEZN.png

I'm irritated. Sure there weren't as many skin tones before the update, but at least genetics worked reasonably well. Last week, the toddler was purple... purple. There is a purple skin tone and my toddler was purple. I don't like the whole warm-neutral-cool thing. I think that's what messes up the next generation and unless the devs fix that, I will have to continue using "cas.fulleditmode" and adjusting my toddlers' skin tones.

So please, I invite you all to share pictures of your toddlers/second generations and the comparison to their parents. Commiserate and rant with me.
Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls

Comments

• Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    edited August 2021
    Oh something like that kind of happened with me. I can't share pictures at the moment, sadly. The mom's complexion is very pale (she inherited that from her mother and grandmother) and the dad's is a little warmer, but still light.

When their little girl aged up, she was a good degree tanner than either of them. I was a bit confused. She kind of has the same skin color as her great-uncle. So for a moment, I thought that she inherited it from him, since genetics can pull from every generation.

But then I realized that doesn't make sense since her grandmother was adopted and has no blood relation to her great-uncle.

Edit: I should probably mention that I'm personally not bothered very much by it. It's just a curious little thing.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited August 2021
    If this happens now and then it's basically Megan Merkle.

But if it happens constantly things get weird.

With townies almost every boy child my game makes is blond european hair and blue eyed with a black mother who's hair is african styled but randomly any color imaginable. The daughters always match the style of hair of the mother, and a skin tone similar to or identical to the mother, with a face that seems to match. The sons are always European. And somebody usually has alien or mermaid eyes - usually the eyes I have specifically disabled for 'random' in Sims 4 Studio and set to Alien / Mermaid only...

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    Hcla25239028Hcla25239028 Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2021
    It happens every single time one of my interracial couples have a child. The child between infancy and kid never looks like either of the parents and I have to go back and change it. Of course the child should have it's own unique features but it should also look like a mix of their parents or even get some features from other relatives.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2021
    Honestly I think it's too many skintones for the gane to even calculate PLUS the sliders. No sims game has ever had 1000 skin tones. Just basically a few variations of dark brown, medium brown and white.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Honestly I think it's too many skintones for the gane to even calculate PLUS the sliders. No sims game has ever had 1000 skin tones. Just basically a few variations of dark brown, medium brown and white.

What explains the green eyes though? None of the parents have green eyes.
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    Oh something like that kind of happened with me. I can't share pictures at the moment, sadly. The mom's complexion is very pale (she inherited that from her mother and grandmother) and the dad's is a little warmer, but still light.

When their little girl aged up, she was a good degree tanner than either of them. I was a bit confused. She kind of has the same skin color as her great-uncle. So for a moment, I thought that she inherited it from him, since genetics can pull from every generation.

But then I realized that doesn't make sense since her grandmother was adopted and has no blood relation to her great-uncle.

Edit: I should probably mention that I'm personally not bothered very much by it. It's just a curious little thing.

I can share pictures now. *happiness noises*

Here are the parents.
    08-11-21_12-36-18_PM-2.png?width=764&height=430

Daughter is on the far right. (meeting Sauron at the gym, but that's not relevant)
    08-23-21_12-12-46_PM.png?width=764&height=430
    And her great-uncle.
    07-14-21_2-10-07_PM.png?width=764&height=430

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

Grandparent or cousin twice removed?👀
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    edited August 2021
    I tend to use custom skintones. Default and non default for skin and eyes. I had my Sim Gabriella marry Don and they had 4 kids. Three boys, who have green eyes (Gabriella has green eyes and pretty sure Don does as well), dark hair (from Don) and a lighter skintone that is closer to Gabriella's. The lightness/darkness of the skin tone doesn't bother me (my dad and mom have fairer and darker skin, and I am fairer like my dad, but not quite the same shade). The facial features though is where it would bug me if my sims had a kid that looked zero % like their parents.

EDIT: Their 4th child, a daughter is much closer to Gabriella, same hair, eyes, and the lighter skin tone.
  • Options
    SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2021
    My rags to riches/legacy save had 4 kids all but one came out with black hair. The odd one has red. Besides that, the kids have a nice mixture between both moms. But I did find it odd. I downloaded one of the moms to marry my sim. I can’t remember her original hair color before I changed it.But I don’t think it was red. I’m going to see if I find the original sim on the gallery again but I doubt it lol. There’s just too many to comb through. The little girl is in fact the only sim in 5 generations to have red hair.

My original sim that started the whole legacy has blonde hair and she married Makoa (not sure if I’m spelling that right). None of her kids or grandkids inherited her blonde hair. But I somehow end up with a red head down the line. 😌 Not sure if this was glitch but I kept her as is.
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    When the skin tone update first came out, I tested it in CAS, I had the dad in the warm tones, and the mom in the cool tones, originally for both. Father was extremely pale with blonde hair and blue eyes, with the mother being dark skinned with black hair and brown eyes. Before moving the mom into the same warm color slot as her husband, I got some weird skin tones that the parents wouldn't actually have, even with the darkest or lightest version of both of their tones. Some skin tones were a grayish color.
    When I moved both parents into the warm tones category, the kids ended up getting less drastic skin tones, and actually looked like they could be a mixture of their parents.
    Also, hair and eyes can be a bit weird as well when it comes to family as well. I have had parents with blues eyes, and green eyes, in the first generation, and their kid comes out with a gray, which doesn't match their parents. I can kind of see if they had a parent with occult eyes, since that is a problem with the genetics in the game, but when both eyes are normal, and the kid doesn't inherit either one, can be kind of strange. Especially, being from two parents in the first generation.
    Also, back to the hair, and a bit on the eyes, some genetics aren't really passed on realistically. In previous versions, like Sims 2, if a parent with blonde hair and blue eyes were married to a sim with Black hair and brown eyes, the kids would mostly inherit the dominant genes, like the brown eyes and hair. In the Sims 4, If I have a blonde haired blue eyed sim married to a black haired brown eyed sim, I have had cases where most of the kids are blonde. Which isn't terrible, but I feel that the majority should be black. Weirdly, though, I have had a blonde married to a redhead, and only one of their kids was a blonde, the rest were redheads.
    So yeah, Sims 4 does need to be fixed a bit, because if the parents of a Sim are in different skin tone categories the result is weird skin tones that aren't even close to the parents. Eyes don't match to either parent, especially the first generation, where they shouldn't have that issue. Also, with blonde versus black hair, I shouldn't have so many blondes with genetics.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited August 2021
    My personally issue with the new skintones is that cool and neutral tones aren't organized correctly. If you start from the lightest tone of either category you see the tones go from light medium to dark and then jump to a light tone done.

Why is there a dark tone so early in the list? I think they did this because of specific shades but it messes up genetics when there is a "dark" tone it in the middle of the light tone. If I two sim parents one light and one medium the baby has a chance of turing into that dark tone just because it sit in the middle of them when in reality it should be with the other dark tones. Even when you look at the darker tones they aren't organized correctly. I see dark shades jumping from medium dark to dark then medium dark again and then dark dark to to dark.

I want the swatches to look like scale going from lightest to darkest. Specific shades can makes this dark when you have one tone that is redder or bluer then the ones next to it but it's better then tones lightest/darkest jumping all over the place.

Also I'd like warm and cool tones to be dominate but when mixed together they make a neutral and neutral to be overall recessive if possible.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I've found the "cool" skin tones to look horrible in the game's lighting; two of my sims, both of whom had stock "warm" skin tones, ended up with a kid who was so pale that he looked like a corpse. I had to go into CAS and fix that before someone hit the kid in the head with a cricket bat.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited August 2021
    From what I have found sims with cool tone skin look more natural with the "new" hair colors. I gave the Bjergsen a makeover and gave them all cool pale skin to help make them look more swedish/nordic and originally looked too blue and lifeless but once I swapped their original blonde for one of the new ones they looked natural and alive.

One of the issues is that the original colors and the colors of the game generally are that they are too warm and bright that pale and cool colors stand out horribly.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member

I consider this to be a bug. The majority of my family members have green eyes, despite parents not having such.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    SamDenny wrote: »

I consider this to be a bug. The majority of my family members have green eyes, despite parents not having such.

Whereas I keep getting black parents that have blond blue eyed children. So I'm with you folks on bug. I think the 'genetics system' doesn't know how to handle hair and eye color very well. Some things it gets right - but other things it gets wrong with repeated consistency.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Yeah, genetics is broken, its not as badly broken as it was right after the skin tone update, but its still off. To me its especially noticeable if one parent is a supernatural.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I recently experienced this during my Cottage Living gameplay. The parents had light skin, and when the baby was born, the skin tone was similar to the parents and I didn't think anything of it. I wait about one sim week before aging the baby up into a toddler, and when I did, the toddlers skin tone was much darker.

I didn't expect the toddler to have an identical skin tone to her parents, but I also didn't expect it to be this way off.

Here are the parents, Ethan and Petra:
    dvYJ0Zv.png

Here is Edith as a baby:
    D3mpa0o.png

Here is Edith, aged up into a toddler:
    pkV5Coi.png

In the first image, this is what her skin tone defaulted to. In the second image, I adjusted her skin tone to be as close as I could get it to when she was a baby.

I really hate messing with genetics and features when aging my sims up, but this one really stumped me and just didn't make any sense, so I ended up saving the adjustments I made. I also saved before I aged her up, so I managed to test it twice and it gave me the same result each time.

From what I've read, it seems like players have the most issues with genetics, when using the neutral and cool skin tones. It would make sense, since one of Edith's parents does have a neutral skin tone, and I did use the slider to customise it further. I can't say it's the case for sure, as I haven't tested this with only the warm skin tones - though I suppose it may provide some insight.

I really hope they're working on a fix for this.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    Been having this issue for awhile too! If I recall correctly the newborn/baby sims had been bugged out since the skin tone update as well
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2021
    Baby genetics are really buggy. Has to do that babies literally only have four human skin tones. Alien babies thankfully have less issues with genetics now than they use to and the sounds they make are adorable so why I prefer playing with them. Why babies being changed to life stage would help a lot because of how frequent the genetics glitch on them. Bug has been occurring since 2014 so since the game came out.

I know this bug isn't always mod related but the invisible crib mod seems to cause it with this report.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/baby-skin-colour-change/td-p/9835233

I found this thread too:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-For-Some-skin-tones-Baby-icon-different-color-than-Sim/m-p/10379126
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    When the skin tones were updated last year, there were problems at first and PleasantSims made a video about it. She mentioned that in a previous eye color update, genetics for one eye color could result in that color or one of the newer eye colors. For example, if you gave your sim purple eyes, their child could inherit the purple or the pink eye color (This explains why that was happening in my game). So each new eye color was attached genetically to one of the original eye colors. I wonder if that is the source of the confusion over where the green eye color came from.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Are you sure he’s the dad? 😇
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    You can change all of that in CAS....so, IMO, there is no problem.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    You can change all of that in CAS....so, IMO, there is no problem.

we shouldn't have to change it in cas...that's the point. in game sims should be genetically correct based on their parents.
  • Options
    JustKeepSimming2JustKeepSimming2 Posts: 31 Member
    Every townie family in my games have different skin tones and features. It is so annoying.
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    Sometimes my sim children have the same skin color as one of the parents, but sometimes they have a skin color that's somewhere in between the two.

It could have something to do with the warm, cool, and neutral palettes. If one parent is warm dark and another is cool light, there's a pretty wide variety of possibilities. But if both parents are on the warm palette, it's more likely to be somewhere in the middle. That's my guess anyways.