Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remember the Initials of Previous Packs and Games, Please

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
I know you don't have any control over marketing, Maxis, and most of them probably haven't been around for twenty years like some developers have been around this game that long, however, it would be nice if Marketing knew a little about the game and how Simmers speak and refer to packs or newer games etc. and the entire series.

Such as when we type or speak about packs and or other Maxis games, we all use initials since it is shorter to type and or to say. Therefore, in the future before Maxis and Marketing names a game and or a DLC they should consider if the newer DLC or game has the same initials as a previous pack or game. Or get someone who can remember to let them know it's already initials of a previous game or pack.

Just a few off the top of my head that most people sooner or later will have to ask what exact pack or game is the topic of a subject.

City Living/Life- Cottage Life/Living=CL (please consider the confusion for anyone who doesn't know or just gets annoyed by the same initials)
The Sims Medieval- The Sims Mobile=TSM (this one is really annoying)

Things like this matter to fandom, but probably not to marketing.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Or we could just write the titles out, as acronyms are unecessarily recondite and obscure except to dedicated fans.

I always abbreviate The Sims Medieval as TSM - but only after naming it in full the first time, as it was a niche title and I understand even long-time simmers might not know what I am referring to otherwise.

I have seen Cottage Living distinguished as CoL, to avoid confusion. Better would simply to be to take the time and name the particular game or expansion content in full.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Or we could just write the titles out, as acronyms are unecessarily recondite and obscure except to dedicated fans.

I always abbreviate The Sims Medieval as TSM - but only after naming it in full the first time, as it was a niche title and I understand even long-time simmers might not know what I am referring to otherwise.

I have seen Cottage Living distinguished as CoL, to avoid confusion. Better would simply to be to take the time and name the particular game or expansion content in full.

Or perhaps Maxis should also know there are other actual game companies who have other games out there (but old ones) such as their City Living EP also has the same initials as a game by a different company and a very close name of that game called City Life. And now we have a DLC pack with the same initials CL. Since we all speak with net speak these days (which didn't used to be allowed on older forums aka initials instead of words) it would help since now there are three games with the same initials. City Living, City Life, and Country Living. And then there is the Cottage Life TV show etc. And also a mag called Country Living. lol

Especially, since some of us don't have all packs yet, and the pack discussions are combined and sometimes it's not clear what the topic is about if it doesn't include a full name on the header of the post. But maybe just something about a pack and I don't know if it's about CL or CL.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    If I do abbreviate Cottage Living I always use CoL. The whole initial thing sometimes messes me up, especially when they are the less frequently talked about ones, like OR (Outdoor Retreat), or SD (Spa Day), I have to stop and think and mental go thru the pack names ... I would never use those abbreviations, I would just type it out. But, I also don't speak in text form though either, not even in my actual texts, I'm old school and spell everything out. I don't care for text speaking.
  • Options
    matheus_mar_1999matheus_mar_1999 Posts: 105 Member
    To avoid confusion, I think it's better to use the EP numbers, like EP11 for Cottage Living
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    I think it is mainly up to us as players to be clear in our posts. We should either use the full names or change the letter combinations a bit and use CoL and CiL.
    To avoid confusion, I think it's better to use the EP numbers, like EP11 for Cottage Living

To be honest I find the numbers even more confusing. There are so many EP, GP and SP to keep them apart by number. I don't think all simmers know the release order of all packs by heart. With the letters it is easier because the link with the title is still there.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I find both initials and numbers confusing and don't think Maxis or EA are to blame for that. We always have the option to just call the packs by their names, which is what I prefer to do. Even before we had Cottage Living, when CL always meant City Living, I didn't always catch that in discussions, and numbers are arguably even worse. Right now I can remember that we have 11 EPs and Cottage Living was the last, but a few EPs from now, I won't, just like I don't remember off the top of my head what exactly EP6 or EP7 was.

City and Cottage Living having the same initials is a minor annoyance that could have been avoided, but demanding that other companies' games, TV shows, etc. should be taken into account as well when deciding on a pack name is simply ridiculous. After all, we're the ones coming up with the abbreviations, not the developers, and technically we're not even doing it right. The correct abbreviation for Cottage Living would be something like TS4:CL, and that certainly wouldn't get confused with some magazine or TV show. But we're not usually talking about those magazines or shows on here, and they're probably not the only other things in existence with those same initials, so why should we care?
  • Options
    AuntyCaitlinAuntyCaitlin Posts: 18 Member
    > @GrumpyGlowfish said:
    > I find both initials and numbers confusing and don't think Maxis or EA are to blame for that. We always have the option to just call the packs by their names, which is what I prefer to do. Even before we had Cottage Living, when CL always meant City Living, I didn't always catch that in discussions, and numbers are arguably even worse. Right now I can remember that we have 11 EPs and Cottage Living was the last, but a few EPs from now, I won't, just like I don't remember off the top of my head what exactly EP6 or EP7 was.
    >
    > City and Cottage Living having the same initials is a minor annoyance that could have been avoided, but demanding that other companies' games, TV shows, etc. should be taken into account as well when deciding on a pack name is simply ridiculous. After all, we're the ones coming up with the abbreviations, not the developers, and technically we're not even doing it right. The correct abbreviation for Cottage Living would be something like TS4:CL, and that certainly wouldn't get confused with some magazine or TV show. But we're not usually talking about those magazines or shows on here, and they're probably not the only other things in existence with those same initials, so why should we care?

I totally agree! They need to name it what they need to name it, to consider every other piece of popular culture when naming something is too big of an ask I think! Sticking to calling packs by their names, and then abbreviating (as another member also mentioned) may be the easiest way to avoid confusion :)
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited August 2021
    Cottage Living is based on a subculture trend around cottages so I guess it makes sense with that name. It's not really just the country, it is "cottage core" which I did not know was a thing before this. I also abbreviate to CoL for the newer pack. Eh, I think it is a bit different than general Farm Life so I am fine with it.
    Post edited by ChampandGirlie on
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I agree with some others. It's our responsibility as adults with reading and writing comprehension to call the pack by It's entire name. We only have to write a few more letters. If someone is confused by certain abbreviations they can ask for clarification. That's how we communicate with each other and develop farther understanding.
    I don't think the devs should be limited in naming a pack by thinking of all the previous pack names as well as other companies. They should name it as they see fit 😄 this whole game thing at the end of the day is all about having fun anyway. So I think it's equally important for the Devs to have fun making it and go crazy with names if they want to
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited August 2021
    I was taught that it is incumbent upon the writer to convey their message as clearly as possible and it should not be incumbent upon the reader to try to decipher it. So it seems to me that a poster should as previously suggested by @Sindocat write out initially for example Cottage Living and then either state which I will further refer to as CoL or CL, whichever the author sees fit for example or indicate it this way, write out Cottage Living with (CoL or CL) immediately following in the parentheses. From then on the reader will know what is being referenced.
  • Options
    The problem is when people on this forum talk about TSM or CL it is never clear unless you play any of the four games represented by these initials which one they are talking about. If we just read headers of a title it is usually never clear as they are asking about a particular event and or chore and or situation and or bug or whatever. Then in the content of the post it may refer to Cl or TSM etc. or any other pack with the same initials as a game pack or other game. The reader doesn't know what they are talking about. Perhaps net speak shouldn't be allowed, either.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I do agree. It took me some time to learn all the net talk. And a lot of net talk I still don't know because people are always coming up with new things even outside of the sims. But in regards to the sims it's not that hard for me to write say:excuse me, could someone clarify what TSM stands for? Thank you.
    Problem solved because 10 out of 10 someone is going to respond. It would be ideal if everyone wrote everything out all the time but we can't control the entire net lol. And since a lot of people write on their phones (me) it's easier just to abbreviate.
    I just don't think the team should have their creative freedom in naming limited for the sake of "net talk" and most simmers are quite familiar.
    Though I do understand your concern for new simmers. They will learn eventually.
    Plus I never even heard anyone (nearly ever) talk about the sims mobile🤣🤣
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    I do agree. It took me some time to learn all the net talk. And a lot of net talk I still don't know because people are always coming up with new things even outside of the sims. But in regards to the sims it's not that hard for me to write say:excuse me, could someone clarify what TSM stands for? Thank you.
    Problem solved because 10 out of 10 someone is going to respond. It would be ideal if everyone wrote everything out all the time but we can't control the entire net lol. And since a lot of people write on their phones (me) it's easier just to abbreviate.
    I just don't think the team should have their creative freedom in naming limited for the sake of "net talk" and most simmers are quite familiar.
    Though I do understand your concern for new simmers. They will learn eventually.
    Plus I never even heard anyone (nearly ever) talk about the sims mobile🤣🤣

Oh, I thought TSM was referring to the sims medieval, not the sims mobile? So easy to get confused. Lol. Well apparently CL isn't the only abbreviation with two meanings.
  • Options
    ImagebearImagebear Posts: 46 Member
    I know in the bug forum they refer Cottage Living as COL .