Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How far away from home do you send your Sims?

MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
Sul sul, everybody. It's time for my very first poll!

We now have enough expansion packs that we can send our Sims to all kinds of cool places. They can grab a cup of coffee at a cafe in WIndenburg before they hit the gym in Oasis Springs, pop over to Mt. Komorebi for a snowboard run or two, and end their day with fun at a festival in San Myshuno. And, as of today, they can return to their cottage in Henford-on-Bagley and rest up for another whirlwind of adventure.

It's made me wonder if I'd rather set some "house rules" for how far my Sims can travel. I've considered keeping Sims who live in Sulani or Mt. Komorebi stay at home. I'm wondering if Sims based in the HoB should only travel to Britechester or Windenburg. Maybe Sims who live in the base game worlds can wander through them freely, and perhaps visit Brindleton Bay, with an occasional trip to San Myshuno or Windenburg. Granite Falls is a vacation spot; should I use Sulani and Mt. Komorebi in that way for Sims who aren't living there?

We're curious about the way you usually handle world-hopping.
Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
Yevsas mairzeemo!
Post edited by MoonlightGraham on

How far away from home do you send your Sims? 143 votes

I send my Sims to every world I can play in. The world is their oyster.
60%
Akl500Pbshag4lvtams2578BreeSashaSyl0271Kita5399MichelleWrudolphaPlayerSinger2010Mi9shaoscarTheSpotted_CSimburianpendragon1980haneulBeardedgeekBoergeAarg61simgirl1010Paigeisin5mildredalieng01denswan 87 votes
I send my Sims to worlds that I imagine are reasonable destinations--close to their home world, or related to it somehow. No passport required.
23%
vancanuckfan86Mstybl95alexspoom13Annie2008keekee53taydevChampandGirlieHarukotyanZeldaboy180benson2006Sindocattexxx78EnkiSchmidtDominicLaurenceTomatplanteHopeyStarrthenightcourtdyl_andwhatAtreya33Chicklet453681 34 votes
I don't send my Sims out of their home world if they live in a more remote/specialized world. What happens in Sulani stays in Sulani.
3%
Yautjagirlfiercephoenix91CASim1000doublenoodlesfae_brass 5 votes
I don't send my Sims out of their home world. There's no place like home.
2%
twinklestick SeashoreLiviaAngie1301MyriadSims 4 votes
Other (please explain)
9%
auroraael14jeepjeepcatSikoahGraceIsb917musteniNorthDakotaGamerAmapola76somewhsomeIsharellFatTribble23SnowBnuuyjpsulsuldagdagSimDork23 13 votes

Comments

• Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    Other (please explain)
    Wasn't quite sure which of those options described what I do.

As a storyteller I often don't allow my sims to travel to Selvadorada, Sulani or Mt. Komorebi, all considered separate and faraway 'countries' in my universe. They only do that if they plan to go on holiday, with the exception of one Sim who left the desert of Oasis Springs to live it up in sunny Sulani for the rest of their life. Some of the Sims worlds are part of 'clusters' and often these Sims don't really leave the 'cluster' of worlds they're born in unless they're going on holiday. I have a very awkward rough geography of all the Sims worlds in my head that's a bit confusing to explain.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    However, sometimes I set some rules. For example right now I’m playing style influencer who lives in San Myshuno and he travels freely to Oasis Springs, Willow Creek or Del Sol Valley, but I only let him go to Sulani when special holidays kick in it or for a vacation. Just so I won’t get bored with too much swimming and beach fun. But usually I don’t bother with realism. ;)
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    @SnowBnuuy I think "Other" was probably the best choice for you, and I appreciate your explanation! I don't have access to Selvadorada (I probably will soon), and I'm starting to think of Sulani and Mt. K as "faraway places," too.

Although I do see quite a few Sims from Sulani and Mt. K in the base game worlds.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    [quote="Olalla1986;c-17938994"]However, sometimes I set some rules. For example right now I’m playing style influencer who lives in San Myshuno and he travels freely to Oasis Springs, Willow Creek or Del Sol Valley, but I only let him go to Sulani when special holidays kick in it or for a vacation. Just so I won’t get bored with too much swimming and beach fun. But usually I don’t bother with realism. ;)[/quote]

Forgot to vote before I posted, sorry for that. I send them pretty much everywhere.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I used to travel a lot irl and know people who traveled a lot as well (literally lived on one side of a continent/country and traveled weekly to the other side for work), so my sims mirror my global perspective. Plus, the worlds feel too small to be played in a restrictive manner so I don't hold back. Instant travel is a unique feature of the Sims 4 that I enjoy and use to get the most out of the game.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    edited July 2021
    Other (please explain)
    I also have what I consider clusters of worlds that in my view are near enough to travel back and forth with ease. (E.g., Willow Creek, Newcrest, and Magnolia Promenade.) I also have a general idea in my mind of what I think the map looks like over all, which includes some worlds that might be in between two different clusters. (E.g., Newcrest, Brindleton Bay, and Glimmerbrook might not be particularly near each other, but they all might be relatively near Granite Falls.) Basically, my sims can go anywhere, but if it's a quick trip to the bar after work, or a shopping errand, I keep them in the worlds that are close to home. If they need or want to do something in a more distant world, it's at least a full day's trip, reserved for weekends or days off, if not longer. Even then, I feel like most of my sims can make it to San Myshuno on a day off; Sulani or Mt. K or Selvadorada usually require at least a long weekend.

That being said, spellcasters can go wherever they want whenever they want, because, magic. I think once or twice I've also had wealthy sims whisk someone off for a romantic dinner far away... you know, in their private jet, as one does.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Other (please explain)
    It depends. Sometimes, when I play rags to riches/homeless challenge, I don't send my sims out of their world, because it feels realistic (they have no money to travel) and it adds to the challenge. Sometimes I don't want to be restricted at all.
    In my current save my family lives in Windenburg, and I send them pretty much everywhere except for Sulani and destination worlds. I prefer to not jump from world to world in one day, though; I can imagine one day trip from Windenburg to Mt. Komorebi (in my imagination it's pretty close to San Myshuno, and you can take a shinkansen (kind of), but a combination like Windenburg-Mt. Komorebi-Oasis Springs is too much. But in general, I prefer to take vacations to travel to worlds like Mt. Komorebi or Strangerville. And I don't like to send my sims far away after work, a day off seems more suitable for a "day trip".
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited July 2021
    Other (please explain)
    @SnowBnuuy I think "Other" was probably the best choice for you, and I appreciate your explanation! I don't have access to Selvadorada (I probably will soon), and I'm starting to think of Sulani and Mt. K as "faraway places," too.

Although I do see quite a few Sims from Sulani and Mt. K in the base game worlds.

Okay so I THINK I have a way to explain my 'rough' geography of all of the current Sims worlds...I know it won't make sense to people with in-depth geography knowledge, as I have zero, but I also don't care : P

- Sulani, Mt. Komorebi and Selvadorada are all separate countries that are quite far away from the 'core' of the Sims world. (Also including TS3's World Adventures worlds as well of course)
    - I hand-wave the time it'd take to get to Sixam as 'wow look at how quick these high tech rockets can get across the galaxy!' Still not sure what comparative distance it is from SimEarth. As for Batuu, in all honesty it doesn't really exist in any of my universes, I forget it exists at all in TS4. XD
    - Most of the Sims 1/2/3 neighbourhoods are just non-specifically 'sort of far out from' the TS4 'core' worlds.
    - The rough 'England' analog is comprised of Britechester, Willow Creek, Newcrest, Evergreen Harbour, Brindleton Bay, Glimmerbrook, and of course Henford-on-Bagley now. Granite Falls as well.
    - In the 'rough middle' between this analog and San Myshuno, there is Oasis Springs, the town of Windenburg and also Forgotten Hollow.
    - San Myshuno and Del Sol Valley are very close to each other, and Magnolia Promenade is somewhat close by to them both. To the far south of this little cluster is Strangerville.

they/them or she/her
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited July 2021
    Other (please explain)
    I don't have all the packs, so I don't have as many options as I/my sims would like. ;) I've been playing in Willow Creek and Oasis Springs, and have just started playing in San Myshuno. Since my current sims are mostly steeped in the mundane world, I mostly send them off to Exotic Destinations, such as Sulani, Mt K, and the Ultimate Exotic Destination: Batuu. I have a few sims living in Mt K but they haven't been sent anywhere on vacation. I would probably send them to someplace warm like Sulani or Batuu. I haven't considered sending anyone to Forgotten Hollow or the magic world - they are too small for me to give up a house for a rental.

I wouldn't send them to any of the "regular" worlds (OS, WC, etc) for vacation because there isn't anything special for them to do there in my game. I don't consider having my sim walk around in Oasis Springs looking at the desert as being that special, although I see an awful lot of Sulani residents there! :D I might send someone to San Myshuno so they could go to some of the festivals, but I hadn't thought about it because I haven't had that pack for very long.

I just remembered, I have sent a couple of people to Willow Creek and to Britechester, because they needed to use the Museum, the Library, the Gym, and a place I've set up with skill items in BC. But I don't count those as vacations since they were only there to fulfil an aspiration or grind away at a skill. I'll send them wherever they need to go for those reasons without even thinking about it, but not as a "fun" destination.

We'll have to see how Cottage Living plays; I might have someone vacation there sometime, and I know those residents could definitely go to Sulani, Mt K or Batuu, and maybe San Myshuno, in order to see the Big City.

Still, the idea has now been put in my head. Maybe I'll start sending people to the Spa or something, just to be pampered...

Edited to add: Well, darn, I misunderstood part of the original post. I was thinking only about Vacations, since I don't think about my sim Worlds as being that separate (except for Batuu, and IL). Basically, I send them where I need to, but I don't think of it as really traveling, since I'm sending the poor simmies off to grind away at a skill. They rarely get to sightsee, and when they do I send them on vacation.
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 847 Member
    edited July 2021
    Other (please explain)
    I would have chosen choice number one, with a big but: They are allowed to go anywhere, but if it's outside their home territory (Willow Creek, Newcrest and Magnolia Promenade) then they only can go on vacation. Since Newcrest is so large with so much room for all kinds of venues, it's not a problem for me to keep them to these worlds. To me these are different neighborhoods of the same "world", New Orleans. I've even decided that they are Slidell, Kenner, and Metarie, all small cities in the New Orleans Metro area. If they're going to go off to Mount Komorebi or Sulani, then they're going to stay for 4 or 5 days on a vacation. If they go to Brindleton Bay, it might be for a weekend, since to me that's New England, maybe Maine or Connecticut. Same with Del Sol Valley, that's Los Angeles. I have my own geography for the Sims 4 in my head, and how long they stay on vacation depends on whether the world is inside or outside the USA.

Edited to add:

In my mind, these worlds are associated with the following RL locations:
    1. Willow Creek, Newcrest and Mag Prom: New Orleans metro area.
    2. Brindleton Bay: New England, probably Maine or Connecticut.
    3. Britechester: Harvard and Yale. :smiley:
    4. Del Sol Valley: Los Angeles.
    5. Granite Falls: Wyoming.
    6. Henford on Bagley: England, of course.
    7. Oasis Springs: Las Vegas.
    8. Mt. Komorebi: Japan
    9. San Myshuno: San Francisco, although it's very non-hilly for SF.
    10. Selvadorada: Brazil
    11. Strangerville: Roswell New Mexico.
    12. Sulani: Tahiti.
    13. Windenburg: Germany.

I realize this is a very USA-centered decision, but I live in the USA, so...
    Post edited by FatTribble23 on
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    While the majority of my sims travel quite a lot there are some, virtue story or personality, who stick closer to home. I have 30 homes in rotation.

Example, I have one loner sim who prefers to stay in Myshuno and another loner sim that, despite her anxiety, travels a lot because she's in a fame career which requires it. That sim loves Salvedorea as well but could care less for Sulani.

I also enjoy a change in scenery so most travel quite a bit. I find I'm most often in Myshuno, new crest, the desert and salvedorea.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have thought about limiting sims to their worlds but I can't always do it and, in some places (Windenburg especially) it's actually quicker to send a sim to another world than it is having them walk home from a nearby lot.

Also, it's not feasible to place a library, museum, lounge, restaurant, gym, spa, in each world. So there is only one spa and it's in Willow Creek. However, I ensure there is a park in every world since I have Seasons so I know what the weather is like before setting up a social event at an outdoor venue.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2021
    I say this, but I do not necessarily seek this out. If I see a festival pop up, there is always a chance I'll go. I also set up community lots by world, so I have to travel to use them. This all being said, sometimes I am just too invested in the home lot or neighborhood to want to leave. Occasionally I'll do some world focused stuff, too.

I would never restrain myself from leaving if I wanted to, but that doesn't always mean I am strolling about either. A large portion of my time is on the home lot specifically, but my Sims are definitely connected to multiple worlds. Especially in larger saves I tend to sprawl.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    In a game where it's normal to have hair that looks like it was made of clay or spin into a different outfit or literally die laughing I'm not too at all fussed about easily traveling over imaginary but actually non-existent distances whenever I feel like it.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    Other (please explain)
    Mostly to reasonable destinations, but they have the occasional long haul holiday.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Other (please explain)
    I prefer sending them to their home world or somewhere I imagine being close by, but I make a lot of exceptions and they can basically travel anywhere.
  • Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    I'd happily limit where my sims can go, except the game doesn't do that (other than Batuu) and I'd need to remodel all the worlds so I could have all the community lots I need in the world or worlds I'd go to. So I just imagine San Myshuno has a lot of crazy suburbs.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Well I've paid for it, so I'm gonna use it lol. I have favorite lots in most worlds that my sims go to regardless of where they're living
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I have Sims that don't travel very often, then there are Sims that go explore all the worlds. It all depends on their storyline and how old their kids are. Traveling with Sim toddlers is just as complicated as traveling with one in RL which limits how many places a Sim family can travel to.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I don't all expansions, but if my Sims can afford it, I am sending them all the worlds I own.
    I send them to other worlds, and the vacation worlds I own.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I send them everywhere I can. I had a plot going in one save where the daughter was desperate to get out of Newcrest and it's snowy winters and moved to Sulani as soon as she could. I love having that freedom!
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Wherever I feel like taking my sims is where they go. They can hit the slopes in the morning, the beach in the afternoon, then head into the city for a night on the town!
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    If each world had space to have like ten community lots apiece plus plenty of residential area, I’d consider locking my sims to a world. Since that’s not the case, I’ll send them wherever. I love playing in Sulani, and since I grew near coastlines, I don’t mind letting my sims go hang out in Sulani for the day. I don’t find myself using Mt. Komorebi a lot, probably because it takes them forever to get around the neighborhoods there to the activities. Selvadorada and Batuu are still my preferred vacation worlds over Granite Falls; that’s just been downgraded to the summer camp spot.
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I tend to look at the "worlds" of Sims 4 as very small countries in a very small world. Some sims will always stay fairly close to home. Others will occasionally travel for holidays or go away for school. Some will be world travelers. It all depends on where their stories take me.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    Well there isn't really any rules per say sometimes my sims just jump to random worlds at random times and i use different worlds for different things

but I'm quite homebody myself so honestly they don't go out of neighborhood or their home world all that often
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free