Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you let your sims decide their likes/dislikes?

Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
When one of your sims gets a popup to say they like/dislike an activity, do you allow them or do you click no? I'm sure for a lot of people it depends on the save, but vote for what you do most often.

I personally always say yes, it's really spiced up my game allowing my sims to decide. I'm doing a rags to riches and my sim currently hates fishing, gardening and repairing, so he's almost always miserable. Thankfully he likes cooking though, so I focus on that activity. It really adds personality to my sims and makes me do storylines that I didn't intend on doing.
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

Do you let your sims decide their likes/dislikes? 156 votes

Yes, I usually let them decide!
59%
Akl500PCK213tams2578Mstybl95SamadamsPlayerIceyJjeLlyBeAn1573SsimgoddessrudolphaPlayerSinger2010romagi1AlrynnTheSpotted_CFigwithuandluBloosmoopendragon1980BoergeAarg61Paigeisin5alanmichael1 93 votes
No, I usually don't let them decide.
40%
Bluegayleauroraael14bshag4lvNh6650BreeSashaalexspoom13SikoahGraceJueJueIsb917Dida_Quickswitchsimgirl1010freindlylolgot2gameDarkLady2788YautjagirlmitchiebanjotaydevphantasmkissBabykittyjadeDaravi 63 votes

Comments

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I like seeing what likes/ dislikes my sims gets while I'm playing. It adds some spontaneity and something unexpected to the game.

......However, I think I will always say No to Likes dancing- I can't stand it when my sims are addicted to dancing all the time!
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2021
    Only if I feel like they make sense for the sims. I feel like a lot of the time they aren't really things that the sims like, they are just the things that sims do first. My slob sim for instance had a popup saying that she likes fitness and I felt like that made no sense.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I take it under advisement, as I would a Whim. Sometimes, it's something they do seldom, or uncharacteristic for them, and not a task or activity or preference I want weighted in that way.

If it is a skill-building, career related, or quality-of-life skill or activity, I'll usually confirm it, however. I want my Sims to enjoy their imaginary little lives, so it helps if my Freelance Artist likes Painting, and my programmer like Programming. Everybody eats, so it's useful if Cooking is itself also fun, etc.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    The only one I don't let them decide is mischief and that's because my game had a serious mischief issue and needed to be repaired but otherwise I let them pick
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    I usually say Yes unless it's an elder who wants to like fitness, or same thing for someone I know is lazy.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    95% of the popups I get are for Fitness, and they are always for sims who are jogging past my active sim's house. The other 5% are almost all for Fishing and come from random sims in the vicinity who are talking to each other about nothing but fishing, god knows why. I can count on one hand the number of times I got a pop up for a sim I was actually playing at the time, and I don't think any of them were for things I wanted that sim to have as a like.

So, no.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yes, it seems more real, that’s how they’re acquired generally right? As you move through life you figure out what you do or don’t like. I might assign a couple in CAS but mostly I let them figure it out.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'd be lying if I said I had never said yes for the pop up, but it is always spare spots I had not cared enough to assign and even then I don't always agree.

So, no, I really don't let them "pick" and even if they did I would still have to craft the opportunity to experience the skill. Kind of hard for a Sim to come to like rock climbing on its own if I don't bring it to Mt. Komorebi or have a rock climbing wall.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    I marked yes, but for me it’s a little bit of both. I usually randomize know CAS, then look and see if the random options fit my general idea of the sim. If yes, great, if no, I’ll change individual preferences. With the pop ups, I’ll go along with them probably 80% of the time; rejecting it usually means I don’t want the sim to have an opinion on this action.

If it had an effect on autonomy, I’d micromanage preferences more. As it is, sims who hate fitness or dancing will still autonomously start swimming or dancing and just be tense, so that’s on them. You have a house full of things to do and chose the the one thing you hate; be like that.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,925 Member
    I probably would, if it was either randomly rolled or based on some intelligent combination of factors. Instead, it seems that if the sim is in a positive mood before starting to do an activity, they are prompted to like the activity. If the sim is in a negative mood before starting to do an activity, they are prompted to dislike the activity. That doesn't really seem like a good set of reasons to like or dislike an activity, so I usually just go by my sense of what that character would like or not like.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I voted "yes," because I do usually let them decide unless their opinion is a poor fit for the personality I have in mind for them. I've noticed the tendency @mightysprite mentioned, too--a Sim who's in a good mood when they try a new activity will decide they like it, and a Sim in a negative mood will not.

I had a Sim visit a spa and try a yoga routine for the first time because she was feeling Tense. I envision her as someone who would enjoy wellness, so when the popup indicated she didn't like Wellness, I declined it. I usually don't send a Sim to do something I don't think they'd enjoy, so I don't pick "dislike" too often.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I only go against it if the choice doesnt' make sense with their personality, but it's rare.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    Yes, but I "cheat"--if it's an activity I want them to like, I usually make sure they're in a good or neutral mood before they try it.

And this isn't a tendency--it *is* how the game decides if someone should Like or Dislike a certain action or type of music. A Sim will *never* decide they like an activity if they're doing it while Uncomfortable, Tense, or Sad, and they'll *never* decide they dislike it if they're Happy or in another positive mood (usually the ideal mood for the activity, but not always; I had a Sim decide he liked painting while he was Focused). Fitness pop-ups are common because, unless the Sim has the Active trait, they'll normally only work out autonomously while Energized, which is the ideal mood for Fitness. And if you let your Sims take naps often, they'll be Energized often, and the pop-up will usually come up after they've done some autonomous stretching or push-ups/sit-ups.

My children tend to get pop-ups for Fitness and Video Gaming frequently, even though they can't even learn those skills yet!

I think the only base game skills I haven't seen pop-ups for yet are Charisma and Logic, which makes sense, I guess.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Yes, but only if it makes sense to the sim in question, like their traits or not.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    If it fits their personality, then yes, they can choose.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,387 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yes, but they have to make sense. Sometimes I may choose one or two likes based on their hobbies and work but I mostly let them decide and I click yes if I like it.

Sometimes there are annoyances that I want to get rid of and I need to make my Sims to dislike something. For example recently I've been playing a family with a bartender who has a bar in the kitchen. His husband was originally a randomly generated Sim whom I made a writer. When my Sim met him he had mixology skill level 6, so he keeps constantly making drinks autonomously. It's very annoying and I don't want both husbands to use the bar all the time, so the last time I played I had to go to CAS and make him dislike mixology. Now the only one who uses the bar is the actual mixologist.
  • Options
    mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    Sims aren't real. They can't decide anything. The game is programmed to ask if you want them to make something they are doing a liked activity. It is you who decides.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I usually start them out with 2 likes and 1 dislike from all categories (except decor preference), and I let them develop the rest through gameplay.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,442 Member
    I only consider those pop ups from my played sims, not random sims passing by. And then I decide case by case. Doesit suit them, ddoes iit fit the story? How many likes for activities do they already have?

Dislikes don't always make sense to me. Should my sim hate knitting for the rest of his life because he happens to be uncomfortable from the bladder need when the pop up comes?
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    I always go yes, unless I think it conflicts with their aspiration or traits
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    It really depends on the sim in question, but for the most part, the sims I actually play have already been assigned or developed their personalities before (or despite) the game trying to do it for me. My gameplay is heavily story-oriented, so if it makes sense for their character, I do give them "official" (as in game-mechanics) likes/dislikes. But most of my played sims have very few, if any, game-mechanic likes and/or dislikes because I find them too limiting. Not that they actually mean anything important for gameplay, but it would confuse my record-keeping and story purposes. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    Kind of? I usually assign a few likes/dislikes when I make them in CAS but if I get the popup and it makes sense with their personality I’ll usually say yes.
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    I will decide the main two or three likes that make sense for the Sim I created and if something pops up along the way I may add it if I feel like it suits Sim. But the most important likes I always assign myself in CAS.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It depends on the save file. For my decades save, there are certain things that that are not allowed to like based on historical accuracy. I also hate that every sim will usually like the same stuff. It shows how shallow the game actually is when it comes to significant gameplay features.