Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No "Favourite Animal" preference?

C'mon Maxis.

Would've made so much more sense than a generic "animal enthusiast" trait (just because you like chickens doesn't mean you like foxes, and in fact you probably shouldn't like foxes, given they eat your chickens) and could've incorporated plenty of older packs more easily, like Cats & Dogs, My First Pet Stuff, Outdoor Retreat, and the Base Game!
  • Dogs
  • Cats
  • Rodents
  • Fish
  • Frogs
  • Chickens
  • Cows
  • Llamas
  • Foxes
  • Rabbits
  • Insects
  • Spiders
  • Bats
  • Bears
  • Raccoons (be they real, from C&D, or fake, from CL)
  • Dolphins
  • Sharks
  • Voidcritters

I mean..... it seems so obvious.
wJbomAo.png

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    While I would like this, I would like more traits/aspirations in general on this topic. In particular, I think they missed out big time on a voidcritter tamer aspiration for kids. Plus I am not sure if anything other than CoL animals will be included in the new trait, but I hope so! I felt rather cheated that they didn't do the Sims 3 thing of stronger individual traits, but a weaker generalized one that applied to every animal.

But I could definitely see this eating a little too much into likes and dislikes. That is what, 18 likes/dislikes if my Sim is super opinionated?
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I don’t think it’s necessarily important, but children do have that “Talk About Favorite Animal” social, so it’s kind of weird now that we have likes and dislikes. It makes things inconsistent.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    While I would like this, I would like more traits/aspirations in general on this topic. In particular, I think they missed out big time on a voidcritter tamer aspiration for kids. Plus I am not sure if anything other than CoL animals will be included in the new trait, but I hope so! I felt rather cheated that they didn't do the Sims 3 thing of stronger individual traits, but a weaker generalized one that applied to every animal.

But I could definitely see this eating a little too much into likes and dislikes. That is what, 18 likes/dislikes if my Sim is super opinionated?

In regards to your last point, I imagine if we get new likes/dislikes, they'll bump up the limit. We can have 20 right now, maybe they'd go to 25 or 30, depending on how many they add. That's what I'd do, anyway.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Are they not going to eventually put the "likes/dislikes" animals in Sims 4?
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    What will it change?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    What will it change?

You could have a Sim that dislikes cats, and prefers dogs (or vice-versa), which you can't currently do.
    You could have a Sim who, as I said in my OP, likes chickens but doesn't like foxes. Currently an Animal Enthusiast loves chickens and foxes equally, which is absurd. Why would you like foxes if they eat your chickens?

It adds personality, depth, consequences and customization, which are all things you want, according to your signature.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    What will it change?

You could have a Sim that dislikes cats, and prefers dogs (or vice-versa), which you can't currently do.
    You could have a Sim who, as I said in my OP, likes chickens but doesn't like foxes. Currently an Animal Enthusiast loves chickens and foxes equally, which is absurd. Why would you like foxes if they eat your chickens?

It adds personality, depth, consequences and customization, which are all things you want, according to your signature.

Yes adding more depth is good. But i wish it was more than just moodlets. Like fav colors i dont think it does anything unless you have DHD. And if you like something adds like only +1 moodlet. But the emotions fluctuate so much that it wont really matter. Like maybe if it adds more popups? Like if you dislike exercise and you try to make a sim do it who hates it when mood low, a notif will pop up complaining and they refuse to do it (sims 2 style). Or more notifs or other ways it shows you that the favorites matter and change things for your particular sim.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I think if ur sim likes something it should make the skill gain a little faster and if they don't like it the skill will gain slower
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »

In regards to your last point, I imagine if we get new likes/dislikes, they'll bump up the limit. We can have 20 right now, maybe they'd go to 25 or 30, depending on how many they add. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Hm. While I would like more allowed customization, too, I actually doubt they would do this. They mentioned that people responded well to likes and dislikes so they plan to expand the system in the future, but if they start increasing caps when they add new likes and dislikes they would have to keep doing it. I doubt they would obligate themselves like that.

For example, think about how many CAS assets are now in 4. When was the last time we were given more outfit slots? Hot and cold outfits, right? And even then, they were slots for a specific purpose. I certainly could use more slots on some Sims. A save outfit function would be even better, but they have no problem leaving caps. If you save all the premades of DLC packs, you're nearly at 200 Sims now when you start a game and I doubt they will rebalance those caps either.

But a very simple thing these likes and dislikes can do is affects relationships gains with animals. You like them? Friends faster. You do not? Good luck getting out of the red.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I hope animals will be connected to the likes and dislikes.

I would be especially happy if you could have a sim that dislikes animals. It feels like we mostly get traits that center on likes. Likes art, likes the outdoors, likes music, likes food. If the likes and dislikes could lean into a sim disliking dogs for an example and that actually meant something in the game it would be very valuable for me. It would make an animal lover stand out more if you could also dislike animals.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member

I would be especially happy if you could have a sim that dislikes animals. It feels like we mostly get traits that center on likes. Likes art, likes the outdoors, likes music, likes food. If the likes and dislikes could lean into a sim disliking dogs for an example and that actually meant something in the game it would be very valuable for me. It would make an animal lover stand out more if you could also dislike animals.

If they put in something like that I wonder if it would be reciprocal. Would the dog/cat also be inclined to dislike that person? I think I'd like that option. ;)
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Isharell wrote: »

If they put in something like that I wonder if it would be reciprocal. Would the dog/cat also be inclined to dislike that person? I think I'd like that option. ;)

Or the person who is allergic to cats and the furry little things want nothing more than to cuddle up with just this special human.

It would be interesting if some sims had to really work to get any relationship going with pets. We will see what happens with likes and dislikes. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    I don't see this as a priority, and honestly I think it would be a waste of time for them to work on. Sometimes TOO much detail can be annoying. If you want a cat person Sim, just don't have them interact with dogs.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I don't see this as a priority, and honestly I think it would be a waste of time for them to work on. Sometimes TOO much detail can be annoying. If you want a cat person Sim, just don't have them interact with dogs.

By that logic, why even have preferences at all?

Also you're the only fan of dust bunnies I've ever seen, so frankly I don't think a thread about realistic play is something you're gonna get much out of.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member

Also you're the only fan of dust bunnies I've ever seen, so frankly I don't think a thread about realistic play is something you're gonna get much out of.

Frankly, there's no need to be rude.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options

Frankly, there's no need to be rude.

I'm being blunt, there's a difference
    I haven't criticized you or your tastes, I've simply pointed out that you're a fan of a level of unrealistic gameplay that would understandably put you at odds with the introduction of additional realism. How you choose to interpret that has nothing to do with me.
    wJbomAo.png