Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims on the New Steam Deck?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2021
    I am interested in the idea of a handheld Sims, but would not be interested in trying it on the new Steam Deck.
    I just saw a video on this new handheld last night. I think it's supposed to release around the holiday season.

It looks very bulky. I like my electronics sleek and sexy.

I would be interested in the idea of playing The Sims 4 on my Switch, but I have no interest in purchasing another handheld just to play other games that I can't play on my Switch. It would be too redundant for me.
    Post edited by Chazzzy on
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    I am not interested in the idea of a PC handheld Sims and would not be for any other games.
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Wrenry wrote: »
    No because of not having access to mods or cc.

I have Stardew Valley on both the PC and Switch and though I do enjoy having it on the Switch since I can play it when not at home, there’s a meaty selection of mods available for the PC that boost its playability. Want a tractor to ride? PC only. Want a totally new map to play? PC only. Anime style bachelors? PC only. (Though I’m totally fine how Harvey looks.)

This does do mods, though. It is a PC, not a console.

Crosswired. Misread the question of would you play it on a portable device like a Switch. Which I still say no to.

Steam Deck. Still no because I can get another laptop.

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited July 2021
    If it were size of an IPad I would be interested, but it is too small for me, I have a Nintendo switch and play a couple games on it, but it is so small….maybe if the screen was a 10x6……I would go for it. I’m curious…… can it handle all of the packs and kits?
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I've played enough Sims Freeplay, and "The Sims" for mobile that I don't feel the need for another way to play handheld Sims. I've got them on my PC and my phone/tablet, and that works.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2021
    I am interested in the idea of PC handheld Sims and would like to try it.
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    If it were size of an IPad I would be interested, but it is too small for me, I have a Nintendo switch and play a couple games on it, but it is so small….maybe if the screen was a 10x6……I would go for it. I’m curious…… can it handle all of the packs and kits?

My plan is to give it a shot. When I get it, I don't mind posting about it. (I do indeed have all the DLC, Sims 3 trophies and all.)

Granted, even if it was miserable for the Sims, I loved my Vita and have a decent Steam library, etc. I think it will run well enough, though.

This thing is probably going to be the best way I have to play multiplayer games that aren't MMO. Pretty well all my friends prefer handhelds to playing on laptops (which they all have), and this won't have an online surcharge none of us is willing to play.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I am not interested in the idea of a PC handheld Sims and would not be for any other games.
    I'm old school, I prefer my PC games to be on Desktop only. I don't feel the need to carry around my games everywhere I go.
  • Options
    mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    My vision is not good enough to use small screens.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2021
    I am not interested in the idea of a PC handheld Sims, but might like it for other games.
    I already preordered the Steam Deck the best one of course and look forward to playing some of the games in my inventory but not the Sims. If I can play games on my Switch small screen I can play on the Steam Deck.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I think it would be too cluttered and building wouldn't be as simple as on PC.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Wasn't really an option offered to suit me in the poll.

I have a camper van and so having portable gaming is a must. I do have a switch, but having access to my steam library would be great. The main problem with the switch is that I only have the exclusive games on it and Switch games are a lot of money.

Yea, I am interested in this bit of kit.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    AuntyCaitlinAuntyCaitlin Posts: 18 Member
    I am not interested in the idea of a PC handheld Sims, but might like it for other games.
    The limited physical buttons and joysticks on the Steam Deck make me wonder whether mapping the controls for Sims on this thing would be hard to do for the developers, and annoying for us the user. For games like Stardew as others have mentioned, yes I am keen! Controls are much simpler in games like this. But for something like the Sims I just don't see being able to have the ease of use be quite the same without a keyboard and mouse. Plus, the screen is quite small, and might make the current UI difficult to scale without A) making it too big B) cluttering up the screen at the size they might need to be legible. In a game where the mouse is the driving force of gameplay (selecting interactions, building, panning etc.) in my context I don't see there being a console solution that doesn't feel clunky for me! However, maybe those who already play The Sims with a controller/on console would be totally happy with this
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I am interested in the idea of PC handheld Sims and would like to try it.
    The Steam Deck is a dream come true for me. I've been wanting a portable PC handheld that has my entire steam library on it since ages ago.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,880 Member
    I am interested in the idea of a handheld Sims, but would not be interested in trying it on the new Steam Deck.
    I already play Sims FreePlay on my iPad, TS4 on my laptop, and Animal Crossing on my Switch and really don't want to invest in another handheld unit. I'd prefer some form of the Sims on my Switch.
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    edited July 2021
    I play sims to be by myself and not have to interact with people (If I want to interact I have other games to do that as well as many non game related things). I have a switch to play certain games, but I don't think it's ever been off the dock for long. Only if I want to play in another room. I'm not at all interested in gaming 'on the go'.

Edit - and my PC is mine, no one uses it unless I let them (They have their own, so it's rare anyone wants/needs to use mine).