Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Australian World in Sims 4 Outback Living

FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
edited July 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
03.jpg
We never had an Australian world in The Sims! I would love to see an Australian outback inspired world.

Australian horse ranches
ff8fbea2886f2307271fbdcc92929b04.jpeg?rect=1,0,2048,1536&w=745&h=559&&rot=360
A mix of lush vegetation and harsh outback rocks

Ghost town
imagev117315c76a94212540b54e7efd8041552-bnh33z055i4ylqwo4s2_t1880.jpg
This is an abandoned mining town that you can find while exploring the world. At night there are ghost Sims that explain the lore of the world.
a256aFi.gif

Comments

• Options
    pookysimsloverpookysimslover Posts: 339 Member
    Oh I would love that too, I'm an American, but I have since I was a kid loved anything Australian, my favorite actress Anna Torv is Australian, one of my favorite shows I watched when I was younger was McLeod's Daughters, which Anna was on for couple episodes, also love another one The Secret Life Of Us too, with her in it too!

But the picture of the windmill and what looks like a ranch, reminded me of McLeod's Daughters, I once made the ranch in TS3 from the show, since we had horses, also made the main sisters Claire and Tess and some others from the show!

I would love it if they did an Australian expansion pack, they could even focus on the Aborigines of Australia, who are rarely talked about outside Australia, but then Australia is rarely talked about, unless something bad happens!

And it is one of the most amazing places on earth, I mean it gets kind of boring when everything it either about Latin America, the Middle East or Asia all the time, I mean they did both Asia and the Middle East in TS3, and though they haven't done a location for the Middle East, they have gave us clothes and objects from there!

I'm not saying they shouldn't do them, because they are nice too, my favorite in TS3 was the Middle Eastern place, since it was like Egypt, but I just would like to see something different, like with Cottage Living being kind of like England, it would be nice if they would do Australia next, like they could have left the Crocodile for that, instead of having it in Cottage Living, since there are no Crocs in England, unless someone has one as a pet, lol!
    To follow me or check out my creations my name is claramj and my avatar is Nikki Cat, she's in my gallery!
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    I already suggested Australia. I suggested it in this thread:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/991520/wedding-pack/p3
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Oh an equestrian pack that is set in Australia would be really interesting
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited July 2021
    Australia has beaches such as Byron Bay, Cossies Beach and deserts too. They also have Sydney which has a royal botanical garden and has beaches to surf on, as well as the music and arts festival known as the Rainbow Serpents Festival, rafting on the Tully River and indoor racing. Just my opinion, but I prefer the garden, rafting on the Tully River and indoor racing in an Australian EP over playing with horses in an Australian EP.

https://www.visitmelbourne.com/Regions/Melbourne/Things-to-do/Fun-activities
    https://tourscanner.com/blog/fun-things-to-do-in-australia/
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Ok here's what we need in the Australian World:
    Crockodiles
    Mick Hogan
    Australian Aboriginals
    Shrimp-on-the-Barbie (BBQ)
    Nichole Kidman
    Hugh Jackman <3<3
    Australian Gardening Plants
    Australian Festivals & Party Events
    Walk-About
    Australian Hairstyles, Outfits, Accessories, Objects & Decor

That's all I can think about, I only learned this much in movies.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Back in the day, we had pen pals to learn about the world outside our own from their perspective. I loved having penpals as a kid and had many from around the world. I had a pen pal from Australia. We would share cultural, differences. Things about the countries we were in. Food. Recipes etc. She would send me fashion magazines and newspapers which I found very important. I remember her telling me all about how Australia had some of the oddest animals in the world. She told me about the Outback which I found fascinating. She sent me Vegemite. I sent her Stadium Mustard. Which might not sound like an even trade. We shared Music. I told her about Powwows and Reservations and she told me about The Aborigine People. Nowadays it's so easy. We have Social Media to talk to people halfway around the world and places that if we are fortunate enough to travel might have an opportunity to see and observe for ourselves.

I think I would have been more impressed with an "in touch with Nature" theme If the Sims Team would have chosen The Outback or just Australia in General rather than farming in the British Countryside. However, that is simply my opinion on how cultures we don't have in the game could have been included in the game. Australia is truly a unique culture not just with unique animals but the people too. It would have been an opportunity which in my opinion was missed to add in more representation to the game.

Sorry if I offended anybody who is all gung ho about farming and the inspiration coming from the Britsh Countryside. I just think a better inspiration should have been used..
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    They could finally add diving, Great Barrier Reef 😎.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    As an Australian if Sims 4 were to do an Australian Outback themed pack I would want it to include the following:

Sims being able to use sunscreen, use their phone to check daily UV levels, with a risk of sunburn (increasing in severity) if they are outdoors without the proper sun protection.

Eastern brown snakes randomly generating in a sims yard (with increased possibility of generating if the yard is cluttered). New death type associated with this (snake bite). Also the ability to phone a snake catcher like you would the fire brigade, with a possible new snake catcher career.

The ability to swim in rivers/watering holes, with a caveat to pay attention to any signs before you dive in. At different times of the day/night, watering holes will randomly generate saltwater crocodiles & a sign will appear warning the Sim not to swim or fish or get too close to the edge of the water. New death type, if warnings aren't heeded, death by Crocodile. Plus New career type, wildlife officer/conservationist.

New pack specific skill for children, an 'Animal Safety' type skill. Children would need to learn the basics of keeping safe with creatures that are deadly. The lower the child skill level, the more likely a sim is to experience things like snake bites or crocodile attacks (with risk of death). Maxing out the skill level gives you automatic protection against the above.

The ability for sims to visit an indigenous cultural centre, where they could talk to indigenous peoples and learn their history, with different NPC sims generating on different days/times & representing different indigenous nations/groups. Sims could have a go at dot painting or traditional basket weaving or learning to play the digeridoo, or learn tribal dances within the cultural centre, or at an indigenous festival. At no other time would these things be available to Sims, only during festivals and a specified cultural centre.

Sims could purchase and learn to play the digeridoo; however, female sims would be required to friend an indigenous vendor/cultural centre worker first and ask permission before playing the instrument (depending on the taboos of different indigenous nations). Female sims who do have permission to play a digeridoo, beyond just a quick 'try out' during a festival or as a cultural learning experience, would then unlock a digeridoo with a specific totem or pattern on it that indicates to people that it is okay for her to be playing this instrument. Playing a digeridoo that is not marked with a 'permission' sign would cause other sims in the area to react negatively.

The ability for Sims to use insect spray, with a high level of tense/stress moodlet if you visit a particularly fly heavy area and haven't slapped on some Aerogard.

The ability for Sims to forage for bush tucker, or purchase bush tucker at stalls, and use it in cooking.

Backyard cricket, with backyard cricket rules (one hand, one bounce you're out, hit the ball outside the boundary of the lot it's 6 points, if the ball hits the fence or lands just on the boundary line it's a 4 point score, you can bowl under arm but 'grubbers' (bowling by rolling the ball along the ground) will result in a free run being given to the sims that are batting.

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Sims could purchase and learn to play the digeridoo; however, female sims would be required to friend an indigenous vendor/cultural centre worker first and ask permission before playing the instrument (depending on the taboos of different indigenous nations). Female sims who do have permission to play a digeridoo, beyond just a quick 'try out' during a festival or as a cultural learning experience, would then unlock a digeridoo with a specific totem or pattern on it that indicates to people that it is okay for her to be playing this instrument. Playing a digeridoo that is not marked with a 'permission' sign would cause other sims in the area to react negatively.

That's discriminatory behavior, isn't it?
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

Some indigenous peoples in Australia have a strict taboo around women playing the digeridoo, although not all of the groups, and it does vary as to how strictly the taboo is treated in those groups for which it is an issue - it is enough of an issue; however, that it can be deeply offensive and upsetting to Indigenous Australians. Discriminatory from our (non indigenous) point of view? Yes, but this is a potentially a highly sensitive cultural issue.

If the Sims team were to include indigenous Australian representation in the game, I think they would definitely need to consult with indigenous elders & spokespeople for the different groups in order to properly understand how to present indigenous culture in a properly respectful manner.

Another potential issue, for example, could be with indigenous Sims who pass away. There are a lot of customs, rules and taboos around death and dying in indigenous Australian groups. So would you need to be mindful of that? Should the deceased indigenous Sim not return as a ghost, and all images of them in the game be removed? If the deceased's name still appears should the game change it to a bereavement term (placeholder name for the time when the deceased's name isn't spoken)? This is the sort of stuff I would expect Sims developers to have to seriously look into if they were going to include indigenous peoples in the game, or else face a potential backlash that could possibly be worse than the Snowy Living/Japanese shrines criticism of cultural insensitivity.

• Options

Some indigenous peoples in Australia have a strict taboo around women playing the digeridoo, although not all of the groups, and it does vary as to how strictly the taboo is treated in those groups for which it is an issue - it is enough of an issue; however, that it can be deeply offensive and upsetting to Indigenous Australians. Discriminatory from our (non indigenous) point of view? Yes, but this is a potentially a highly sensitive cultural issue.

If the Sims team were to include indigenous Australian representation in the game, I think they would definitely need to consult with indigenous elders & spokespeople for the different groups in order to properly understand how to present indigenous culture in a properly respectful manner.

Another potential issue, for example, could be with indigenous Sims who pass away. There are a lot of customs, rules and taboos around death and dying in indigenous Australian groups. So would you need to be mindful of that? Should the deceased indigenous Sim not return as a ghost, and all images of them in the game be removed? If the deceased's name still appears should the game change it to a bereavement term (placeholder name for the time when the deceased's name isn't spoken)? This is the sort of stuff I would expect Sims developers to have to seriously look into if they were going to include indigenous peoples in the game, or else face a potential backlash that could possibly be worse than the Snowy Living/Japanese shrines criticism of cultural insensitivity.

If it's deeply offensive to them I'd rather such interactions are not included in the game as they are equally offensive to western players that don't view women as send class citizens.
  • Options
    [

If it's deeply offensive to them I'd rather such interactions are not included in the game as they are equally offensive to western players that don't view women as send class citizens.

Actually until the arrival of European settlers indigenous men and women enjoyed far greater equality and personal autonomy than their western counterparts at the time. A cultural or ceremonial taboo that may or may not apply depending on which clan or language group you are talking about, doesn't necessarily equate to 'women as second class citizens'. The thing is, there are 38 different indigenous clans in Victoria alone, and in the Northern Territory there are at at least 100 different language groups. All of these clans and language groups may have their own ways of doing things, there are own taboos, laws, spirituality, and so on. You can't just homogenise Australian indigenous peoples into one group, if Sims wanted to do a pack that included the indigenous peoples of Australia there would have to be something that indicated the uniqueness of each nation, clan, language or family group. The equivalent otherwise would be like including First Nations peoples of America in the Sims, making them Sioux & then having them dress and behave as Hopi.

• Options
    MysticalMummaMysticalMumma Posts: 87 Member
    edited July 2021
    The combination of the Australian outback and horses is an intriguing idea.

The big Barbie/Barbeque, complete with Sausages and Prawns (NOT Shrimp!) Also, don't forget the Goannas that try to steal your Tucker.
    You could have Jackaroos/Jillaroos on Sheep or Cattle Stations.
    Herding Brumbies.
    Pony Club/Riding School/Trail Rides.
    Crocodiles, Bunyips and Yowies in and around the Billabongs.
    Fishing for Barramundi/"Barra".
    Drop Bears that attack from above when you least expect it.
    Meat Pies, Sausage Rolls, Vegemite, Milo, Pavlova and Fairy Bread.
    Akubra hats, RM Williams boots and Driza-Bone oilskin jackets.
    Swagmen/"Swaggies".
    Boiling the Billy over a campfire. Swinging the Billy
    Snake Catcher career.
    Suncreen.
    Thongs. The Australian kind.
    Mining for Opals and Thunder Eggs.
    Cricket.
    Two-Up.
    Aussie music and Bush Ballads. Waltzing Matilda, Home Among the Gum Trees, Road to Gundagai, Land Down Under, The Man from Snowy River, Clancy of the Overflow, Click Go the Shears, Wild Colonial Boy, Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.

• Options
    The combination of the Australian outback and horses is an intriguing idea.

The big Barbie/Barbeque, complete with Sausages and Prawns (NOT Shrimp!) Also, don't forget the Goannas that try to steal your Tucker.
    You could have Jackaroos/Jillaroos on Sheep or Cattle Stations.
    Herding Brumbies.
    Pony Club/Riding School/Trail Rides.
    Crocodiles, Bunyips and Yowies in and around the Billabongs.
    Fishing for Barramundi/"Barra".
    Drop Bears that attack from above when you least expect it.
    Meat Pies, Sausage Rolls, Vegemite, Milo, Pavlova and Fairy Bread.
    Akubra hats, RM Williams boots and Driza-Bone oilskin jackets.
    Swagmen/"Swaggies".
    Boiling the Billy over a campfire. Swinging the Billy
    Snake Catcher career.
    Suncreen.
    Thongs. The Australian kind.
    Mining for Opals and Thunder Eggs.
    Cricket.
    Two-Up.
    Aussie music and Bush Ballads. Waltzing Matilda, Home Among the Gum Trees, Road to Gundagai, Land Down Under, The Man from Snowy River, Clancy of the Overflow, Click Go the Shears, Wild Colonial Boy, Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.

Adding to this awesome list:

Bush dancing
    Digging BBQ pits
    Billie tea with eucalyptus leaves
    Damper
    Lamingtons
    Sheep/cattle dogs
    Royal Flying Doctor Service
    School of the Air for kids

• Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    > @GrimlyFiendish said:
    > Another potential issue, for example, could be with indigenous Sims who pass away. There are a lot of customs, rules and taboos around death and dying in indigenous Australian groups.
    > @crocobaura said:
    > If it's deeply offensive to them I'd rather such interactions are not included in the game as they are equally offensive to western players that don't view women as send class citizens.

(Australian here)
    On the news broadcasts here, the news reader will announce a warning that "the following story may contain images of people who have recently passed away" especially when the story is related to Aboriginals.

Regarding the idea of an expansion, I'd like to hope some of our Tasmanian creatures pop their heads up and say g'day. Tasmanian Devil, Barred Bandicoot, Black Cockatoo, Wombats.
    Oh, and wattle trees that start flowering at the end of winter, a sure sign spring is on the way. Fun fact : Silver Wattle trees have square branches when they are very young!
    Sims Down Under holiday destination?
  • Options
    @StuffyMarx Yes, I'm aware of the news broadcast rules around images and names of indigenous deceased. I live in Melbourne. Something like that in the game would be good if indigenous Australian peoples were to be included. :)

It'd be great to see a whole host of Australian wildlife in an Australian pack, especially those which might not be as well known in other countries. We have so much unique flora and fauna here, it'd be cool to see that in a pack. :)

• Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    @StuffyMarx Yes, I'm aware of the news broadcast rules around images and names of indigenous deceased. I live in Melbourne. Something like that in the game would be good if indigenous Australian peoples were to be included. :)

It'd be great to see a whole host of Australian wildlife in an Australian pack, especially those which might not be as well known in other countries. We have so much unique flora and fauna here, it'd be cool to see that in a pack. :)

Yeah I'm really hoping for interactive wildlife like the wild foxes but new animals take a lot of the budget so I think the best we could get would be smth like the flock of birds in BB.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I really hope we get an Australian world!

I would like them to add some Aboriginal rock drawings around the Australian world to find!
    kimberley-cave-art.jpg
    Top10-Aboriginal-Rock-Art-Sites-Australia_1.jpg
    aboriginal-rock-art-wandjina.jpg
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options

I would like them to add some Aboriginal rock drawings around the Australian world to find!

And a cave or two to explore as well and maybe be able to live in it and paint the walls. :)
  • Options

And a cave or two to explore as well and maybe be able to live in it and paint the walls. :)

Yes! We had ice caves in Snowy Escape, so they could use them in this world as regular caves
    sims-4-snowy-escape-mountain-cave-woohoo.jpg

a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    Why are u supporting money hungry EA
  • Options

kimberley-cave-art.jpg

It'd be awesome if they made it a collectables thing, where you had to record details of the art and then send information like the location and style of art into a cultural protection institute.

• Options

kimberley-cave-art.jpg

It'd be awesome if they made it a collectables thing, where you had to record details of the art and then send information like the location and style of art into a cultural protection institute.

Maybe Sims could photograph the rock drawings
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options

kimberley-cave-art.jpg

Maybe Sims could photograph the rock drawings

That would work really well, and maybe an action to add stuff to the sims notepad as well. :)