Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Content from DLCs in the basegame

SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
edited November 2021 in The Sims 4 Packs Discussion
Maybe I'm weird but I think that currently we have too much items and things from the packs in the basegame but DLCs have still the same price and no new content to replace taken one.

For example we have just a few wooden floors in the basegame. To implement more wooden patterns, EA could just add more swatches for existing floors but not, they reimplement a floor from Spa Day into the basegame.

To be honest I feel that it is unfair for me as for a customer. I paid for something (DLC) and now, my product has less content then in a day I bought it, because someone moved some things to the base game and I have no other items/improvements instead.
Post edited by Sthenastia on

Comments

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I know a lot of people don’t mind that they do this because hey others can get content for free so what’s the big deal. For me, I just think it’s weird that EA does this, and it shows a lack of forward thinking. If you wanted to make all worlds vacation worlds, you should have considered that years ago when you first designed Outdoor Retreat, for example. Now vacation packs lose their novelty of being vacation packs. And you’re right, the inherent value of the pack does lessen/shift when things get added to the base game.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    I don’t mind when it’s a temporary thing, like the tents during sim sessions. Or something small like the pants in city living.

But I get slightly annoyed when it’s big or the main object in a pack. Like the hot tubs.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited July 2021
    I am generally against it, I want Maxis to develop features for the game, not just make existing content free. If they make existing content free then it should be because they want to improve it or add more features to the game for everyone.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I agree to all the above.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    If Sims 4 wasn't already old enough to start showing its age, that stuff might bother me. But it is, so... it doesn't.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    This is what I found some days ago:

"Basegame" wooden floor:

spaday1.png

Wall panels from Spa Day:

spaday2.png

It was obviously same set, but currently this floor panels are in the base game.
  • Options
    I noticed on Twitter that in the new patch we will get male haistyle fom Discover Univesity in the basegame :/
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I know a lot of people don’t mind that they do this because hey others can get content for free so what’s the big deal. For me, I just think it’s weird that EA does this, and it shows a lack of forward thinking. If you wanted to make all worlds vacation worlds, you should have considered that years ago when you first designed Outdoor Retreat, for example. Now vacation packs lose their novelty of being vacation packs. And you’re right, the inherent value of the pack does lessen/shift when things get added to the base game.

What's the big deal? The big deal is it shows how lazy or inept Maxis is by not creating a totally new floor or tile or wall panel and just grab something from DLC and throw it into the base game and say look how hard we work. Maxis has to give out 'free' content as part of live service. If they keep throwing in stuff from DLC into the base it just proves they don't work all that hard on creating something new for live service. It's like hey Maxis (EA's Live Service policy) you need to offer free content as part of the live service. Maxis: Ok here is a wall from Spa Day! ...........look we've lived up to the requirements of Live Service! let's call it a day.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    The only way I can see it being possible to stop this is to accept DLC for DLC. Right now, the standard is if they want to expand something they have to make it base game so everyone gets it. They don't update old packs, I suspect because it will only garner good will of a portion of their audience. If they are not willing to do this and we still want things expanded, then it will have to be paid for.

It comes down to item per item for me, but as a general rule if I am given an improvement as compensation and the pack isn't gutted I am still happy. In fact, I have a mental list of features I suspect will become targets in the future and if not some I hope so (lifestyles could be so much more). For example, I don't particularly care that BG has a whittled down calendar, especially since I can now keep track of all those stupid festivals.

But yes, just picking random CAS assets and giving them to base game doesn't do anything for pack owners.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    I noticed on Twitter that in the new patch we will get male haistyle fom Discover Univesity in the basegame :/

The dreadlocks hair? If so, I can give that one a pass cause basegame can always use more black hairstyles. But I really hate that they constantly just port paid-only assets to free for a lot of updates. When packs are often already way overpriced in comparison to the amount of content they bring, choosing to make some of those items suddenly free later on is...hmmhmhmhmm. Plus I'd like new stuff too. Or just...updates for older stuff that really needs updating (which they sometimes do but not nearly enough imo).

If they regularly brought in new content or updated old content along with porting paid-only assets to free, I feel like it would be less frustrating. But as it is it just feels...cheap. I know they got to make money and all that but good will goes a long way for consumers.
  • Options
    GeminiChickGeminiChick Posts: 16 Member
    > @Sthenastia said: Maybe I'm weird but I think that currently we have too much items and things from the packs in the basegame but DLCs has still the same price and no new content to replace taken one. For example we have just a few wooden floors in the basegame. To implement more wooden patterns, EA could just add more swatches for existing floors but not, they reimplement a floor from Spa Day into the basegame. To be honest I feel that is is unfair for me as for a customer. I paid for something (DLC) and now, my product has less content then in a day I bought it, because someone moved some things to the base game and I have no other items/improvements instead.
    >

I completely agree! Look at the upcoming pack, for the perfect example. The kids cooking and gardening and the awesome pond tool were clearly made for the pack and that’s what it looked like (to me) in the trailer. And then we find out that it’s going to be base game. I feel like a chunk of the expansion is being given away. Granted, the pack’s gameplay is much more interesting than the Sulani expansion…
    And then the kitchen looks like a nicer version of the country kit, which is nice because the kit’s upper cabinets are weird mis-match style. But still…
    It’s bad enough that packs seem to be more anemic anemic (like ROM not having matching upper cabinets or magic clutter items), but this kind of stuff just seems to be happening more. Like with the Decorator pack, this was THE perfect pack to give us customizable swatches (which can be done since we had it in prior games) and the trailer hinted at it since we see the decorator flipping through them (plus we could finally make the colors match), but no…. And the new bunk beds they gave us were ones we could have made ourselves, with the “why wasn’t it done for the update?” snapping of the desks, etc., when what they should have done was give us double beds to match the style of the single beds.
    It’s very frustrating.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    If they are going to continue with this tendency to put paid DLC in the basegame, they could mitigate the annoyance of it for me by going back and updating the textures and appearances of many of the basegame objects, which just are not up to the standards of recent packs. There's one couch in particular which I hate to use because its supposed fabric texture looks like plastic, it is so bad. Lots of the wood grains also look plasticky or undefined. They've been improving the hairs, which is great, but they should improve the original objects too, to at least give the impression they are always striving to improve the basegame.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited July 2021
    > Sthenastia said: Maybe I'm weird but I think that currently we have too much items and things from the packs in the basegame but DLCs has still the same price and no new content to replace taken one. For example we have just a few wooden floors in the basegame. To implement more wooden patterns, EA could just add more swatches for existing floors but not, they reimplement a floor from Spa Day into the basegame. To be honest I feel that is is unfair for me as for a customer. I paid for something (DLC) and now, my product has less content then in a day I bought it, because someone moved some things to the base game and I have no other items/improvements instead.
    >

I completely agree! Look at the upcoming pack, for the perfect example. The kids cooking and gardening and the awesome pond tool were clearly made for the pack and that’s what it looked like (to me) in the trailer. And then we find out that it’s going to be base game. I feel like a chunk of the expansion is being given away. Granted, the pack’s gameplay is much more interesting than the Sulani expansion…
    And then the kitchen looks like a nicer version of the country kit, which is nice because the kit’s upper cabinets are weird mis-match style. But still…
    It’s bad enough that packs seem to be more anemic anemic (like ROM not having matching upper cabinets or magic clutter items), but this kind of stuff just seems to be happening more. Like with the Decorator pack, this was THE perfect pack to give us customizable swatches (which can be done since we had it in prior games) and the trailer hinted at it since we see the decorator flipping through them (plus we could finally make the colors match), but no…. And the new bunk beds they gave us were ones we could have made ourselves, with the “why wasn’t it done for the update?” snapping of the desks, etc., when what they should have done was give us double beds to match the style of the single beds.
    It’s very frustrating.

The pond should be base game. It was base game in previous games. I was surprised when they didn't add it when they added terrain tools. But in Sims 2 and 3, you could ice skate on the ponds if it was cold enough in winter.

As far as giving away DLC stuff, they should at least retexture it. Heck, they could probably hire a gamechanger or well known CC maker to do the retexturing for them. Why not? They're having gamechangers make the houses now. I actually think it's a good cost-saving measure. Influencer is happy to be selected, and they don't have to worry about fulltime pay or a benefits package. They already tested the water with this in a previous patch; I don't think it was poorly received.

Edit: Quoting the message I was replying to for clarity.
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2021
    Felicity wrote: »
    The pond should be base game. It was base game in previous games. I was surprised when they didn't add it when they added terrain tools. But in Sims 2 and 3, you could ice skate on the ponds if it was cold enough in winter.

As far as giving away DLC stuff, they should at least retexture it. Heck, they could probably hire a gamechanger or well known CC maker to do the retexturing for them. Why not? They're having gamechangers make the houses now. I actually think it's a good cost-saving measure. Influencer is happy to be selected, and they don't have to worry about fulltime pay or a benefits package. They already tested the water with this in a previous patch; I don't think it was poorly received.

Wait, not to derail the thread, but is the pond tool actually not BG? I know it was in the livestream, but they went over free update stuff as well. From the beginning I was pretty sure it was.
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »

Wait, not to derail the thread, but is the pond tool actually not BG? I know it was in the livestream, but they went over free update stuff as well. From the beginning I was pretty sure it was.

It is. I was responding to a message I didn't quote.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    This is what I found some days ago:

"Basegame" wooden floor:

spaday1.png

Wall panels from Spa Day:

spaday2.png

It was obviously same set, but currently this floor panels are in the base game.

What are you talking about. That floor was never part of Spa Day. Just because something looks like a set to you doesn't mean anything.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member
    edited July 2021
    But in Sims 2 and 3, you could ice skate on the ponds if it was cold enough in winter.

Sorry, I have to correct, not in TS2. TS2 has ice skating and rollerskating rinks.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    But in Sims 2 and 3, you could ice skate on the ponds if it was cold enough in winter.

Sorry, I have to correct, not in TS2. TS2 has ice skating and rollerskating rinks.

Sims 3 also had ice rinks. But according to the wiki, in Sims 2, when a pond froze over, you could ice skate on it. Wiki could be wrong and I could be misremembering though. In Sims 3, it was my favorite part of winter.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Pond
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited July 2021
    I have no problems with "gameplay" elements being added to the basegame as it makes things more complete and helps things get usage in multiple worlds.

Build and CAS items are better left distinct.

And here's where we get into the question of 'what are you buying that pack for'. I considered Seasons a very off purchase because it had no new world. To me, even paying $5 would have felt too much. I got it only because I've been looking to be completionist and it had such glowing reviews so I figured I would eventually figure out what the fuss was. It did have a good amount of CAS and Build mode - so in time I've come to see the purchase as justified since I got it for 50% off. But most of it is gameplay and the game is better off the more of that that can be replicated in multiple packs.

Island Living was the only EP I bought outside of a sale. I saw Carl's review panning it as a horrible release, and that pretty much let me know I had to buy it. And I'm glad I did - it has exactly what I value out of an EP: a large new and very different world with a good number of lots, and not too much gameplay tweaking as that is stuff I prefer go into wider availability.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member

Sims 3 also had ice rinks. But according to the wiki, in Sims 2, when a pond froze over, you could ice skate on it. Wiki could be wrong and I could be misremembering though. In Sims 3, it was my favorite part of winter.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Pond

Yes there is a tiny mistake there in wiki :) TS2 ponds do freeze, sure, but no skating. Ironically the ice texture looks like someone have been skating in there :) There is CC ice skating rinks tho, made to look like ponds :)
    (only if new mod has been made for it in past like 6 months, that I would not know, as I have not added anything to my UC game in past half a year or so)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited July 2021
    I completely agree! Look at the upcoming pack, for the perfect example. The kids cooking and gardening and the awesome pond tool were clearly made for the pack and that’s what it looked like (to me) in the trailer. And then we find out that it’s going to be base game. I feel like a chunk of the expansion is being given away.
    Personally, I’m glad they are adding these to the base game. I don’t think we should have to buy an EP for our children to be able to help with the cooking and gardening. The pond tool should be a base game feature as well. We had to wait 7 years for these things so they didn’t necessarily come out of the budget for this EP, and even if they did, it’s way different from the hot tub situation where that was a main feature of a pack people might not have bought had they known we would get a free hot tub several years later.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    They made the entire basegame free at some point. I really couldn’t care less. Let them poor people have nice too.
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »

Are there pictures of both somewhere?
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    They made the entire basegame free at some point. I really couldn’t care less. Let them poor people have nice too.

That's exactly my thoughts as well. Those that don't have money to buy packs can get a few extra things for free. I see no problem with that.
    He/Him
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    This game is after all almost 7 years old, so it makes sense that there will be some repeats. This is nice for people that are just getting the game. As long as the dev also put in new stuff as well it's all good. ;)