Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointment, packs and buying then never using?

Comments

• Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I like all the packs I have bought and use all of them to some degree. I don't have two packs JTB and perfect patio stuff. I will say that I don't use bowling, outdoor retreat, and luxury party all that much either but I do have a couple of bowling ally's that are also restaurants that my sims sometimes will go to for family night.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    No I think I use every single pack I bought even if it's just a CAS item or build/buy object or two. I don't think there's a single pack I own I haven't used at all in some way or another.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I tend to base my decision on buying packs on what an average person living in my town can do. Can they go to uni? Yes - DU purchased. Can they be a mermaid? No - pack ignored, etc.
  • Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I ve got all packs except JTB. I use a little bit from each pack depending on which family I m playing in a rotational save. Right now, I ve got a p/t diver living in Sulani who owns a tiny gift shop which sells the treasure, shells and underwater photos she finds whilst diving. She also uses coconuts and pineapples from sulani to create a tropical fizz that she also sells in the shop. I like mixing bits from each pack up. I quite like eco living, I had to disable the naps and I hate candle making but I use a lot of the stuff the pack cane with.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I too use something from all packs or incorporate them into my game. And so far I've played with everything but mermaids and I've yet to go through the Journey to Battu missions but I have used the items and clothing in the pack.

As far as the star wars pack I think it works really well in Evergreen Harbor.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Most packs have a feature or two that fit into my plans at one time or another. But I have disabled a couple packs because the game play content in those packs wasn't being used. Some time down the road I have the option to add those back in, but for now I am happy with my game. And a couple of those have a few bugs that just won't go away, or need too many mods. It's nice to have the option to disable what you thought you'd like but didn't, but might want to give a second try sometime in the future. I don't look at it as a waste of money because I bought a pack then disabled it because it wasn't what I imagined it would be. Tastes and game play styles change over time; and it's always nice to have something different waiting that could surprise you.
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    My only regret is buying packs at full price, but I have no regrets otherwise. I even bought the batuu pack at half-off, and though I don't use the world (because it is useless to me), the floors, plants, and some of the items go well with common decor or stuff you'd see in a garage. I also use a few of the hairstyles and one of the pants from SW pack. All packs have something I can incorporate in my game.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I mean if we are going to be precise about it, yes i use features from Making Magic: The leather dress and some hairstyles. That's it. I also don't count features that are introduced ahead of a pack and patched into the base game, of course.

Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    My answer still stands, I use things for every pack I've bought I buy packs when they offer something that I know I'll use in my game, it may only be for build/buy or it may be the hero object or the main mechanism that was introduced in that pack.

If I know that nothing in that pack fits my personal play style or has very little that interests me, then it's a pass. **Looking at you Batuu** (the only thing in that entire pack that I remotely liked was one plant. And I'm CC creator, so I will not spend $20 on a pack just get a new plant when I can make my own.
  • Options
    Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    Yes, it happened to me, years ago I buy some of them like City Living and Spa Day and didn't like them, so I uninstalled and didn't play them again, but I install them sometimes I want to use certain build or CAS items. And from there I became very careful on which ones I buy, I make sure to search more about them to see if I will really like them
  • Options
    scoed1227scoed1227 Posts: 145 Member
    edited July 2021
    I own every pack and kit. There is no pack or kit I haven't used. The packs/kits I regret getting are in order of regret are Bust the Dust, Dine Out, Spooky stuff, Snowy Escape, Journey to Batuu, Dream Home Decorator, and Island Living. Bust the Dust broke my game to the point I disabled it. It also way unbalanced. Garbage. I do like adding vacuums as clutter though. Dine Out is also very buggy. Game play in my opinion isn't great but I do use some of the build/buy so it isn't useless. Spooky Stuff wasn't useful until seasons. Snowy Escape is a self contained pack with little game play outside of one world. I do like that add of lifestyles and the build/buy is solid but it is so, so shallow. Journey to Batuu is one dimensional to the extreme. I am a huge Star Wars fan so I do use the CAS and I often do use the droids as my stereo. I love the bar but honestly it is so shallow the game play is ignored 99.9% of the time. Dream Home Decorator doesn't have game play. I use the build/buy stuff though so it isn't a complete waist. Island Living is just like snowy Escape but I like the world better. Also Merpeople, I am a huge occult fan. Yes they are half baked but I played more then a few.

As I said I use them all, but those seven were not worth the money and I regret buying them for full price. Bust the Dust is by far the worse in spite of it's low cost. Unbalanced and buggy. Only pack I thought of uninstalling and have disabled. Vacuum clutter is all it is for me. They could not have spent five minutes playtesting it. Cost me $5 and made the game worse. I would regret Bust the Dust for free. In my opinion it is that unbalanced and buggy.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I own everything but the last build kit that came out. I use gameplay from every pack I own, not just build/buy and CAS stuff. I play generationally and not every generation will use all the gameplay from the packs but each generation will incorporate different aspects of the gameplay. For example, one generation may be celebs but not the next, one generation may be treasure hunters while the others are not. Some stuff I incorporate into every generation, like university, dine out, spa day, ect. I don't regret any purchase I have made.
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    I have all the packs (I haven’t bought any kits and won’t unless they go on sale). Realm of Magic has been one of my fav packs. I’m surprised so many people haven’t utilised it a lot.

Stranger ville
    Big thumbs down from me. I’d be ok without it in my game. I do love the BB doors and windows but I’ve only played through the story in the pack once. I never use the world. The landscape just isn’t high on my list.

City Living
    I haven’t actually gotten much use out of the festivals in City Living (love the CAS, BB, apartments and world in general - use it ALL the time.)

Cats & Dogs
    I find the Cats& Dogs more annoying than anything else. Love the world & BB though.

University
    I’ve played through 1 Sims uni course. I end up cheating the degrees to my sim. Dislike the world outside of the universities love CAS though. Personally not for me. Could have happily waited for a sale but didn’t.

Eco Living
    Not really for me. I find the bits & pieces, neighbourhood plans and mechanics of the game play infuriating. I’d be happy without this pack TBH.

Get To Work
    I have never played through the Police career. I have maybe tried 1 family for two days before I abandoned them. LOVE absolutely everything else about that!!!
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I buy stuff packs for the stuff. If I don't use the gameplay feature of the stuff pack, I'm still using the pack for the reason I bought it. I mean I don't touch Laundry, but I use the build/buy and CAS assets from Laundry Stuff all the time (minus, of course, the items that will activate laundry gameplay.) Does that somehow mean I'm not using the pack? Because I have a lot of builds and sims that would be missing stuff if I pulled it. Heck, when we got the hot tub gift, I was one of the few people who didn't feel insulted that they'd yanked the hero item from Perfect Patio stuff, because the hot tubs were not why I'd bought the pack. (I felt bad for the people who had bought it for the hot tubs, though.)

The same applies to Kits. They exist to give you stuff for your game. I haven't bought Bust the Dust because I know I won't use it, and if it were somehow gifted to me, I'd probably still put vacuum cleaners in some builds. I'd just leave the gameplay off.

With game packs and expansion packs, the gameplay items are more relevant, and over the course of a save, I will use some gameplay from nearly every game and expansion pack. Which ones get left out depends on the nature of the save and the development of my sim family therein. The game pack I tend to use the least gameplay from is actually Vampires, and that's just because I've never really been a fan of playing vampires. It's still arguably the best game pack to date and I have no regrets about buying it.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I buy stuff packs for the stuff. If I don't use the gameplay feature of the stuff pack, I'm still using the pack for the reason I bought it. I mean I don't touch Laundry, but I use the build/buy and CAS assets from Laundry Stuff all the time (minus, of course, the items that will activate laundry gameplay.) Does that somehow mean I'm not using the pack?

Laundry day is a stuff pack though, one of the two main features is the new stuff so I guess you are using it, for the most part.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    My mind goes something like this - *rummages around in his save looking for a pedantic trait* something like that may have come in pack. Nope, sadly not. Will have to think of another way*

I think that is the point. I use things from all of the packs sometimes. Sometimes you just don't know what you need until you need it. I don't 'play' the pack like an a normal game expansion. They just add options.

I have just bought Uni pack. Not even looked at it, but my sims now know that Uni is an option. When one of my sim does go, they will probably be happier about the lamp they stole from the dorm room rather than the degree itself
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    I wasn't going to comment, but now I just have to.

I don't regret buying any pack, but I don't venture into Strangeville anymore. Use everything from the pack, great items. I even split the big house in half making 2 smaller houses. But living there is annoying, which is a shame. Destroying the plant totally would have been a better option for me personally.

Drifts off: dreaming of Goat Cheese Soup. :)
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited July 2021
    Looking at the trailers for Cottage Living makes me realize, once again, that there are several packs I own that I never use, or only used once because I don't find them interesting or because they don't work well.

For example I have Making Magic, but I have literally never used it, as in I have literally never visited the (mundane, even) world. I bought it on sale for the CAS items and that's it. Not really worth it since an expansion on sale is still very expensive, but hey.

I also have Snowy Escape, a pack I actually was rather excited about after watching the trailers and James' build videos, but I tried living there and the world is just too buggy (The comically stupid-looking trail-walking that can glitch out so easily if a Sim gets distracted (so you have to re-do the entire hike). that ❤️❤️❤️❤️ mascot and neighbors that shows up no matter what you do for example). Plus I am genuinely not that excited about Japan to begin with. I DO love the hairstyles and most of the clothes, however.

At least Knitting was cheaper, but I tried to get excited about it once or twice and it's... just knitting. And the "Online selling service" is just so much more annoying to deal with than the yard sale table (that yields immediate results).

Don't get me started on Outdoor living, the only pack I outright regret buying since it is utterly pointless on all levels (to me). It is just boring; everything you can do in it is boring, the world is boring, and the items in CAS / Build are boring.

Anyway, I am absolutely 100% uninterested in the core gameplay for this expansion, but certain things look interesting. Luckily for me the only thing that looks mildly fun that is in the actual pack and not patched into the base game is Jam. I DO really like the Fizz machine and having other items to sell on the yard sale table is great (these days none of my Sims have jobs, they become multi-millionares by making fizz and selling it to gullible fools for three times what it's worth. Preferably made by possessing fruit from Strangerville, because why not?

So basically it boils down to... is jam, and not having to miss out on a lot of gallery stuff because Sims and houses include a lot of things from this pack, a good enough reason to buy it on sale... I don't think so. I usually have to renovate downloaded lots anyway because they're basically never playtested properly anyway...

Last year, btw was the first year I didn't buy all of the packs coming out. I didn't buy Batuu, I have refused to buy any of the "Kits" (tho if there was an 80s workout pack instead of a 90s workout pack I would buy it in a heartbeat. Neon Legwarmers here we come!!) and i will not buy this. Before that I bought every pack eventually, including First Pet Stuff and the lowest watermark: Knitting.

Anyone else have more than one pack that you own, but never use?
    Fitness and Perfect Patio stuff.
    Fitness, I mainly used the wall climber and a few CAS items but stopped with newer stuff. I’ve disabled it.
    Perfect Patio mainly the hot tub but we got a free one. Just don’t use the stuff so disabled that one too.

I liked the chess lights in Perfect Patio but there’s only a pawn and knight. Would love them to complete the set and my Sims to use it as a playable chess set.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Some people prefer to play a new pack to exhaustion and go through every gameplay, career, aspiration, etc. Some people prefer to take their time and incorporate the gameplay gradually into their stories. So what if you won't play a farmer straight away but maybe your city living sim will enjoy ordering groceries and drinking rainbow milk. They might even enjoy the occasional vacation on the farm . Maybe your photographer sim will enjoy taking pictures of farm animals for a change. Just because you're not playing it exclusively doesn't mean that you're not using the pack. And if you bought the pack but do not use it in your gameplay, then that it's entirely your choice.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I only use the aquarium table from My First Pet Stuff. That's quite frankly the main reason I bought this pack when it was on sale; I never cared much about the rodents in previous Pets EPs, and I still don't. If MFP suddenly disappeared from my computer, I wouldn't even notice until I enter a house that ought to have an aquarium table in the living room and it's not there.

Other than that, Moschino. The pack turned out much better than it sounded at first, even the CAS clothes aren't nearly as hideous as Moschino is in real life, and I thought I was going to use the new photography features and freelancer career a lot. But then I didn't, so... yeah. I don't regret buying it, though, it might still come in handy in the future.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 I love how you try to make it seem like things can never be viewed objectively. Like the "meat" of the pack can be absolutely objective since the team decides what the topic and what main features a pack has.
    The features of the pack are even listed. Like if you buy vampires and you use just 2 hairstyles, no you aren't using the pack fully. You might be using what you want to use from the pack sure, but you aren't using the 95% things the developers designed for you to use when playing the pack.

Get it, things can be seen very objectively especially when it comes to things like that.

As far as I understand this thread is about personal experience. Nobody’s asking to view anything objectively as such. Except you.
    Nobody on here is asking for Excel sheets full of percentages. It’s not about percentages. It’s about personal experience. That’s all.

People simply share their experience about the packs that they bought. Some feel they didn’t get their money’s worth since they don’t use the content at all or only one item, others feel they DID get their money’s worth even though they’re only using one item at the moment. So what?

Most folks who don’t feel their money’s wasted say they’re pretty sure they’ll be using some of the content in the future, depending on the theme of the save. Grand! We all see things differently, we all experience things differently, we all play with our dollies quite differently. Wonderful!

I find this thread interesting because people’s answers indicate just how different everybody’s play style is. It’s not just one size fits all. If there’s one game that’s not about that it’s The Sims.
    And it's also not rude to say someone's opinion is less relevant if that's what it is. Really, no reason to get offended when someone talks about something and you say "Oh, sorry that's not what we talk about.

Also if you think it's snobbish of me to point that out, that's on you, not on me. Psychology 101 says interpreting a meaning of something said is actually on the reciever and not the sender. If the receiver interprets something as snobbish, then it's their interpretation of it but doesn't mean it was the actual intention.

Dude, you gotta stop thinking I’m always offended.
    And you shouldn’t take it personally either. Even when I use words like “snobbish”. Of course that’s on me. I’m the one saying it.
    If you don’t think your attitude is a tad snobbish that’s perfect.
    I know for a fact that I can be rude-ish at times. I’m completely aware of that….or been made aware of. 😇

I just look at things from a different perspective and I prefer using examples to get my point across. I’m not offended in the slightest.
    I find this an interesting discussion, whether we get anywhere with it is of no consequence because we’re both as Bull Headed as one can get. We know that by now. 😂 But that’s OK.
    I can actually explain it to you in this sentence you used:

This is what I said:
    You clearly don’t get the point with your 2 hairs and 1 chair.

This is what you heard (words I never used btw!):
    PFFF! Get outta here! It’s obvious that you wasted your money and worse, space on this thread. Next time stay on topic please. Now go play with your dollies.”

This actually explains a lot of the fights on this forum. When people say one thing and then someone else add an imaginary rude continuation to the sentence.

Come on now, it’s an exaggeration. Don’t take everything so literal. 😉
    Perhaps try and find the essence of what I’m actually saying.

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I will always find a diamond-in-the-rough with all packs, even that crazy Eco Living & find them useful. Plus, I love the JTB pack, it's so extremely useful for my Alien/SiFi play. :p
  • Options
    Simmer889Simmer889 Posts: 23 Member
    > @DiogeneFer said:
    > I usually use CAS and build objects from every pack available. The only exception is Batuu, I couldn't find anything that I would use and I don't care about the gameplay, so I didn't buy it and I probably never will.

Agreed. I don’t regret buying any pack or kit as I find them enjoyable and useful. I have purchased most. I’m not planning to buy Batuu as the only thing I would like to have is the bun, the gameplay does not interest me.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I have a few packs that I thought would be better and now regret buying.
    I definitely agree that Outdoor Retreat and Snowy Escape are quite overrated. I bought Snowy Escape 50% off, and I still felt like it should have been cheaper.

And yes, while I agree there might be a couple items that I use in daily gameplay, it still doesn't make it worth the price. Now I either avoid buying lackluster packs or just buy them on sale.
  • Options
    MissSweetVioletMissSweetViolet Posts: 50 Member
    Yeah. Get to work disappointed me, not even cause the pack is bad, but because of the alien abductions, in fact I came on to the forums just to voice my opinion on that once able to make a post. It's really sad because I love all other aspects of this pack, the aliens themselves, the work options, etc. But the abductions ruin it for me, since there's no go way to turn them off without modding (which I don't want to do). I seriously regret buying it now. All it needed was a simple toggle.....