Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointment, packs and buying then never using?

Looking at the trailers for Cottage Living makes me realize, once again, that there are several packs I own that I never use, or only used once because I don't find them interesting or because they don't work well.

For example I have Making Magic, but I have literally never used it, as in I have literally never visited the (mundane, even) world. I bought it on sale for the CAS items and that's it. Not really worth it since an expansion on sale is still very expensive, but hey.

I also have Snowy Escape, a pack I actually was rather excited about after watching the trailers and James' build videos, but I tried living there and the world is just too buggy (The comically stupid-looking trail-walking that can glitch out so easily if a Sim gets distracted (so you have to re-do the entire hike). that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 mascot and neighbors that shows up no matter what you do for example). Plus I am genuinely not that excited about Japan to begin with. I DO love the hairstyles and most of the clothes, however.

At least Knitting was cheaper, but I tried to get excited about it once or twice and it's... just knitting. And the "Online selling service" is just so much more annoying to deal with than the yard sale table (that yields immediate results).

Don't get me started on Outdoor living, the only pack I outright regret buying since it is utterly pointless on all levels (to me). It is just boring; everything you can do in it is boring, the world is boring, and the items in CAS / Build are boring.

Anyway, I am absolutely 100% uninterested in the core gameplay for this expansion, but certain things look interesting. Luckily for me the only thing that looks mildly fun that is in the actual pack and not patched into the base game is Jam. I DO really like the Fizz machine and having other items to sell on the yard sale table is great (these days none of my Sims have jobs, they become multi-millionares by making fizz and selling it to gullible fools for three times what it's worth. Preferably made by possessing fruit from Strangerville, because why not?

So basically it boils down to... is jam, and not having to miss out on a lot of gallery stuff because Sims and houses include a lot of things from this pack, a good enough reason to buy it on sale... I don't think so. I usually have to renovate downloaded lots anyway because they're basically never playtested properly anyway...

Last year, btw was the first year I didn't buy all of the packs coming out. I didn't buy Batuu, I have refused to buy any of the "Kits" (tho if there was an 80s workout pack instead of a 90s workout pack I would buy it in a heartbeat. Neon Legwarmers here we come!!) and i will not buy this. Before that I bought every pack eventually, including First Pet Stuff and the lowest watermark: Knitting.

Anyone else have more than one pack that you own, but never use?
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    No. I manage to incorporate something from every pack in my game.

I mean I DO use the sexy leather dress from Making magic. The main reason I bought the pack, even...
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

I am the same. I may not use every single item, but there is typically something from every pack that I will use.

The only exception for me was Jtb. Not only was the theme not my jam, I don't build a lot of "industrial" style lots, and I'm 1000% not into sci-fi, futuristic, fantasy, or star wars so nothing in that pack was anything I wanted and I knew was nothing I'd ever be able to incorporate into any lot I built or renovated.

• Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    I usually use CAS and build objects from every pack available. The only exception is Batuu, I couldn't find anything that I would use and I don't care about the gameplay, so I didn't buy it and I probably never will.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I use some content with different households, I assume that might be an advantage playing 100 houses, they ought to be quite different. some are vamps, some are farmers, some regular business sims, others are duchesses ;) Each pack will have content for some of my families. That said, I skipped Snowy Escape and Magic because I knew I will never use their features.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I have never used Realm of Magic, Strangerville, or Paranormal Stuff but I don't mind that I haven't used them as I think I may eventually.

I never purchased JtB and don't want it either.
  • Options
    Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    Honestly, I play every expansion to some degree. Some I just haven't gotten around to fully exploring/playing yet, but it's definitely going to happen with one of my legacies. It all depends on what my Sims enjoy :D
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I have every pack and use a lot of things from all of them. Not all at the same time, lol, and it often takes me a while to get around to certain aspects, but I use them at some point and never regret buying them.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I have used some of everything over time, depending on the style of my sims. Some packs get more play than others. Realm of Magic, Paranormal stuff, Strangerville, Laundry day, and City Living all get heavy use, while Luxury Party stuff and Outdoor retreat don't see as much rotation, but there's something I like in all aspects of all packs.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Vampires for me I only use 2 of the floor tiles that’s it. Occasionally I will use some cas and other bb items. It was a pack I got on sale solely for the cas and bb items. I don’t even play with the vampires but I don’t mind them in my game as I have spellcasters, mermaids and aliens.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I use items from every pack I own (don't have them all), although there are several that I haven't played in for more than a few minutes. One of these days I'll get around to Selvadorada and Strangerville, and I've just not been in the right mood to play a magic user yet. I need to dip back into Get to Work, I only played it a little bit. I love SF so for me the Batuu pack was a must, and I use items of decor from it all the time. I use Batuu, Snowy Escape and Island Living as vacation spots.

I will say that SE was a bit of a disappointment. It looked like it was so much more in the trailer and in looking at all the info for it. I played it quite a bit at first but now... it just feels like an empty pack to me. I don't even know why, but it just failed to grab me.

As I typed this found myself wondering if it's because I've been so intimidated by the unfamiliar build style that I haven't done any building in it, so nothing feels like "mine." Huh. I'll have to give this some thought.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    I use items from every pack I own (don't have them all), although there are several that I haven't played in for more than a few minutes. One of these days I'll get around to Selvadorada and Strangerville, and I've just not been in the right mood to play a magic user yet. I need to dip back into Get to Work, I only played it a little bit. I love SF so for me the Batuu pack was a must, and I use items of decor from it all the time. I use Batuu, Snowy Escape and Island Living as vacation spots.

I will say that SE was a bit of a disappointment. It looked like it was so much more in the trailer and in looking at all the info for it. I played it quite a bit at first but now... it just feels like an empty pack to me. I don't even know why, but it just failed to grab me.

As I typed this found myself wondering if it's because I've been so intimidated by the unfamiliar build style that I haven't done any building in it, so nothing feels like "mine." Huh. I'll have to give this some thought.

Regarding SE, as a heavy Club user (all my Sims are always member of / leader of 3 clubs) the "Skiing" club activity is just broken.
    Regarding the pack itself I think I have the same feelings towards it like a lot has toward Island Living; I say "there's nothing to do! It feels empty!" while others love it, and that is a very common complaints towards IL: "There is nothing to do!" while my Sims are in Sulani 90% of the time...
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    I use all of my packs, and I own every single one. I don't use everything from all packs, but for example I don't use the BB from Journey to Batuu though I do use the gameplay. If that makes sense. I have found a use for every pack so far, and I don't see why I wouldn't continue to.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options
    Isharell wrote: »

Regarding SE, as a heavy Club user (all my Sims are always member of / leader of 3 clubs) the "Skiing" club activity is just broken.
    Regarding the pack itself I think I have the same feelings towards it like a lot has toward Island Living; I say "there's nothing to do! It feels empty!" while others love it, and that is a very common complaints towards IL: "There is nothing to do!" while my Sims are in Sulani 90% of the time...

Thanks, I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Other people love it. I guess this is another example of how we are all different.

I haven't played in IL as yet (other than vacations, wow they get really tanned fast!), I just haven't had the time and I haven't found the right sim to go there. It is a beautiful world - actually I bought it because I had loved Sims Castaway so much! I'll have to read up on it and give it a proper try out.
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited July 2021
    I have yet to use the majority of features from: Snowy Escape, Eco Living, Spa Day, Journey to Batuu, Jungle Adventure. I own every pack bar one or two of the Stuff packs. I buy all the main expansions only when they are on sale, though. I really want Cottage Living (bunnies!), but I really should be patient and wait for sales. I feel I've neglected my Freeplay file, so I might go back to it do all the things I haven't used yet and make the most of packs.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    Oh! I totally forgot about Seasons! I like the look of things but...winter lasts way too long, and the constant rain in the spring time (i've been playing in Willow Creek) is irritating in the extreme.

I've had it since last fall (got it 50% off) and...yeah. I kinda regret this pack. Everyone says it adds so much to the game but for me it is really irritating and disruptive. I'm still not used to it!

Do not even get me started on the calendar - I loathe it, and pretty much delete as many of the holidays as I can.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I play deviant/soap opera, so I didn't think I'd use Cats and Dogs. But I do use the world, and I have the crazy cat lady (katrina lynx?) try to give evil pet treats to the pets of ex-flames. I also didn't think I'd use Seasons, but I use the weather machine, calendar and Holiday system. I probably don't use some early stuff packs. But I've bought almost everything (on sale) except for home decorator pack and the kits, and seem to use something from all the different packs. This one doesn't interest me, but if I do buy it, I'm sure I'll use the world.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I've certainly been disappointed (looking at you C&D, and to a lesser extent RoM), but even then so long as the theme is right I find it fairly easy to use some of every pack. I pretty well never vacation because of my gripes with the vacation system, but the OR content is easy to use in a number of places from my experience. JA less so, but not by much.

My only real exception is Batuu which I have for sharing gallery stuff with a friend and I can use some hairstyles and flooring. Plus all the ridiculous quick meals like blue milk show up whether I want them to or not.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I only buy the packs I see myself using, or plan to incorporate into my game. I haven't explored every single world I own yet, but I plan to.
    Only one pack I am not thrilled about, but still use, is Outdoor Retreat, because it doesn't offer much. I bought in on sale for the tents to have an off-the-grid type Sim in the future.
    I bought Batuu on sale, and mostly just go it for the humor of creating a Sim, and making them own a lightsaber. Like I creates and Elsa and Anna, and was originally making Elsa join the order and Anna the Resistance, but I may switch it around next time I play.
    I don't play Strangerville at the moment, but I don't hate it. I am thinking of making specific Sims to play the game, like Scooby Doo characters.
    I think the only world I don't play, but love the CAS is Sims 4 university. I have some Sims moved in so far, but right now it isn't used, because I am trying to get my kids/teens to a better level before moving them in and playing the world.
    Also, if I don't use the direct pack doesn't mean I am not using it in some way.
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member

Same, there is at least one thing from each pack. I didn't buy JtB.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    I use every pack except Strangerville. I don’t care for the BB or CAS either. It’s all too wacky. And I wished I hadn’t bought it.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I don't use some of the stuff packs, but really I can find use ofr a lot of packs, even JtB (those bricks are spicy).
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I use objects or CAS from all my packs/kits. However, I will never, ever buy Bust the Dust. To me that was the worst of them all.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,357 Member
    I don't regret buying any packs. I usually have some particular use in mind when I buy them, and I make so many sims and build so much, I always at least end up using the CAS, build-buy items, and new worlds. But I don't necessarily use every gameplay feature. For example, I love the acting career from Get Famous, and I have multiple sims in that career, but I only have one sim I actually have the fame system enabled for, and I rarely play him so he hasn't gotten very far.

I think the only pack I really under-use though is Parenthood. I play with aging turned off, and so all my adorable toddlers are still toddlers, even after years of playing with them, and I hardly ever play with children or teens. Although with children finally being able to cook and garden, with coming patch update, that might change. :lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member
    I use something from every pack I own, and yes again JTB is something from it's B/B I use all the time.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina