Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm convinced the Sims Team doesn't like Occult Sims...

Comments

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    This far into the game it's ridiculous to be missing so many of people's favourite Occults. They need to step it up and do something drastic, like make an entire EP with a fantasy world and 2 or 3 Occults that some people have patiently waited for. And follow it with a GP with another Occult. At this rate the people still waiting for their favourite might never get to play!
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    edited June 2021
    A Fairies & Werewolves GP. That would solve so many problems. And focus on the occult, their abilities, hairstyles (with tiaras for fairies and unkempt ragged hair for the wolves) clothing (mystical and forest-made clothes for the fairies, torn-up rags for the werewolves), tattoos and interactions with normal and other occult Sims. Was gonna suggest they added body hair as well, but such a thing should be basegame.

And a toggle button. I do love me some fairies, but I don't want them to run around the neighbourhood unless I create them myself. Werewolves are fine. They can fight for the control over the night against the Vampires.

Hopefully, if there are any plans for them at all, we won't have to wait seven more years. They're long overdue.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 718 Member
    A Fairies & Werewolves GP. That would solve so many problems. And focus on the occult, their abilities, hairstyles (with tiaras for fairies and unkempt ragged hair for the wolves) clothing (mystical and forest-made clothes for the fairies, torn-up rags for the werewolves), tattoos and interactions with normal and other occult Sims. Was gonna suggest they added body hair as well, but such a thing should be basegame.

And a toggle button. I do love me some fairies, but I don't want them to run around the neighbourhood unless I create them myself. Werewolves are fine. They can fight for the control over the night against the Vampires.

Hopefully, if there are any plans for them at all, we won't have to wait seven more years. They're long overdue.

I think if they're going to put two occults into only one pack they should make it an expansion, personally, but at this point I'd just be glad to get them.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    edited June 2021
    greydonn wrote: »

I think if they're going to put two occults into only one pack they should make it an expansion, personally, but at this point I'd just be glad to get them.

I.. had forgotten expansion packs are better for these things. Don't know why I was stuck on a game pack.

And same as for the last part of your post. At this point, I worry what kind of state of the occults I'd be willing to accept as long as we get them.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,023 Member

I like the idea of Fairies and Werewolf GP. A toggle would be best but I would also like an option for the frequency. Say you wanted more of one occult to appear than the others etc.

I did think one way to tie fairies and werewolves together would be to make them group based. The heads of each group don’t like each other so a fairy dating a werewolf wouldn’t go down well. However, one fairy is rebellious and fancies a werewolf and they have to meet in secret.
    The gameplay is you have to get them to meet in secret without alerting either group, much more difficult in public venues etc.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I think we will be getting something more for the occult players and GP:s are my favorite way of getting them. So far Expansions seems to be geared toward the masses and if there is an occult lifestate they are less developed. I would be much much happier with werewolves getting their own GP or sharing with fairies than getting a corner in an expansion.

Oh well. I am very much interested in the new expansion that is coming so that is fun. I just have the occult-itch and would like to get something for that too.

I hope that there will be an amazing Occult-GP coming our way.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 460 Member
    I didn't buy sims 4 until it had some occults, and I probably won't buy a sims 5 at all considering how boring sims 4 is in it's content. If here they just give us the bare minimum outside of boring real life stuff, I'd imagine it will be even worse in Sims 5.

At this point I am pretty much just waiting for a real competitor to rise up, they'd have to do very little to reel me in and leave this series behind.
    And as long as EA has no competition, they won't put in effort. They are lazy and seem to have a way of beating out every shred of creativity out of franchises.

• Options
    EnigmaOFFCEnigmaOFFC Posts: 58 Member
    They did a microfone drop with Vampires just to prove they could if they wanted to, and never looked back.

@DominicLaurence I agree, they just don't want. Instead of Journey To Battu we could've gotten a proper Sixam/alien game pack too. Spellcasters wasn't as good as vampires, it still felt limited and shallow, maybe spellcasters are the only occult that needs a whole expansion pack to flesh them out. Mermaids would be fun to see in a game pack finally introducing underwater lots. Servos are way worse/simpler than the Plumbots from Into the Future. Skeletons could be a first in the franchise, maybe tying them to ghosts like if we made some choices or didn't achieve the sims happiness and they died they would either become a zombie, ghost or skeleton. Lets see how well they'll make further occults.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member

Adding onto this, I think the team should add what they did for the vampires and mermaids (but undid with Spellcasters, unless that was a bug.) and not have random NPC's or uncontrolled households in rotational saves form becoming occults without direct player control.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,447 Member

Adding onto this, I think the team should add what they did for the vampires and mermaids (but undid with Spellcasters, unless that was a bug.) and not have random NPC's or uncontrolled households in rotational saves form becoming occults without direct player control.

I completely agree. I don't mind additional spellcasters in my game but I like them to be new sims not existing sims who are edited without notifying the players.

I would love such a pack. Those are the two big ones missing and I think I wouldn't mind if they were combined in one pack. Perhaps they will be a bit less fleshed out but that outweighs a years long wait after it's been already 7 years. I know many people say mermaids are not developed well enough, but I do enjoy them.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    edited June 2021

Was/is that a thing? I play rotational game and never had it happening to me. There were instances of Bob and other non-occult premades showing up in Magic Realm on a broom in the very beginning of the pack release, but I think they tweaked it since and now I don't even see non-mages in Magic Realm and the only one traveling by broom in my game is one premade guy from Glimmerbrook.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    After the Vampires Game Pack being so well recieved, it really surprised me that we didn't get Occults more often - like, they could have done it every other GP.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Is it possible that the people who devised and worked on Vampires have moved on to other things? It would explain the differences between the packs level of polish and the decision not to release more than one game pack approximately every two years.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Kironide wrote: »
    Is it possible that the people who devised and worked on Vampires have moved on to other things? It would explain the differences between the packs level of polish and the decision not to release more than one game pack approximately every two years.

Probably a possibility. That or laid off by EA to inch up profits a little bit more. I mean, the gurus are such a small representation of the teams for a given pack and even some of them haven't stuck around. And if EA is working on a sims 5, they are probably moving some of the people who formerly worked on 4 over to 5. The game industry also has a reputation for inducing burnout in employees, due to how normalized crunch is, causing them to leave the industry or even suffer more severe mental health issues. Idk if that's the case with Sims 4's development, they could be better about crunch than some for all I know, but just covering the possibilities, ya know.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »

Was/is that a thing? I play rotational game and never had it happening to me. There were instances of Bob and other non-occult premades showing up in Magic Realm on a broom in the very beginning of the pack release, but I think they tweaked it since and now I don't even see non-mages in Magic Realm and the only one traveling by broom in my game is one premade guy from Glimmerbrook.

It was a thing, IIRC there was a fix to stop played/rotation saves from becoming spellcasters, so I'm guessing they stopped non-occult pre-mades from becoming Spellcasters as well, though just to be safe I have a mod that prevents the game from turning those households into occults.

Part of me thinks it was a bug/unintentional, especially given how 50/50 this teams coding is. And that the team went to great lengths with Vampire, to make sure our sims weren't turned when we were playing other households (which is a trend they continued with mermaids).
    Though the synical part of me wonders if it was their way of trying to fill the magic world without the game generating occult townies, given that people on this forum love to complain about townies I wouldn't put it past them to try and pull a fast one on us. But clearly, it didn't work, because we now had the risk of the return of the "invasion of the occults" that was prevalent throughout TS3 until Supernatural added options to turn off occult creation through story-progression.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,140 Member
    I don't think that the Sims Team dislikes Occults because we wouldn't have Ghosts, Grim Reaper, Aliens, Skeletons, Vampires, Mermaids, Spellcasters & Bonehilda. I think there's more realism players speaking out than the occult players. So, they don't know that there's many simmers that want more occults in Sims 4.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,447 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I don't think that the Sims Team dislikes Occults because we wouldn't have Ghosts, Grim Reaper, Aliens, Skeletons, Vampires, Mermaids, Spellcasters & Bonehilda. I think there's more realism players speaking out than the occult players. So, they don't know that there's many simmers that want more occults in Sims 4.

The problem with some of these like the jungle adventure skeletons and bonehilda is that they are not full life states. The sims 4 has several of these fantastical elements which are too fantasy for realism fans, yet at the same time don't offer an occult lifestate for the occult fans. Paranormal, batuu and strangerville are also these in between things. So are the plantsims which are only temporarily. These are supernatural things to do for normal sims, yet not enough to make sims supernatural themselves. Not realistic yet at the same time not an occult lifestate.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 460 Member
    I don't think I ever saw any sim in the magic realm who looked like a mage because they couldn't even be bothered to put wizard clothing in the wizard pack. A few barely pass for it and most of it is just rubbish.

• Options
    rhalius wrote: »
    I don't think I ever saw any sim in the magic realm who looked like a mage because they couldn't even be bothered to put wizard clothing in the wizard pack. A few barely pass for it and most of it is just rubbish.

I agree, while I don't mind the more "modern" witch/wizard look, I would have loved for there to have been more traditional robes and hats. Though NPC situational outfits are always terrible, especially when you've gone out of your way to create a specific look for your spellcasters. Be they NPC's or in a rotational household, they just end up with a stupid and often ugly randomly generated outfit that makes them look ridiculous rather than cool or intimidating.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member

To add insult to injury the magic realm has situational outfits enforced and they all are prancing there in some sort of ROM + base game cas outfits combo. Annoys me to no end since I have several mages and when I don't play their households they all end up dressed up in some very questionable/out of character outfits instead of what I picked for them.

It was a thing, IIRC there was a fix to stop played/rotation saves from becoming spellcasters, so I'm guessing they stopped non-occult pre-mades from becoming Spellcasters as well, though just to be safe I have a mod that prevents the game from turning those households into occults.

Part of me thinks it was a bug/unintentional, especially given how 50/50 this teams coding is. And that the team went to great lengths with Vampire, to make sure our sims weren't turned when we were playing other households (which is a trend they continued with mermaids).
    Though the synical part of me wonders if it was their way of trying to fill the magic world without the game generating occult townies, given that people on this forum love to complain about townies I wouldn't put it past them to try and pull a fast one on us. But clearly, it didn't work, because we now had the risk of the return of the "invasion of the occults" that was prevalent throughout TS3 until Supernatural added options to turn off occult creation through story-progression.

I see... I think the issue of premades becoming mages was a bug or a oversight and I think that Bob and other non-mages appearing in Magic Realm was to keep the townies numbers low (not just occult townies).
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    To add insult to injury the magic realm has situational outfits enforced and they all are prancing there in some sort of ROM + base game cas outfits combo. Annoys me to no end since I have several mages and when I don't play their households they all end up dressed up in some very questionable/out of character outfits instead of what I picked for them.

I see... I think the issue of premades becoming mages was a bug or a oversight and I think that Bob and other non-mages appearing in Magic Realm was to keep the townies numbers low (not just occult townies).[/quote]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(can't seem to get quotes working so separating my reply)

Yeah, it's why I think it was a bug or an oversight as well (ignoring my cynical side for a moment) because, IIRC, at the time leading up to RoM there was a lot of complaints about townies/game generated NPC's, which tbf are a bit of an issue even to this day XP. So I think the team tried to overcorrect for the game's reliance on game generated NPC's by including pre-made into the pool of potential "inhabitants" for the magic world, without stopping to think that this would ruin rotational saves and just end up turning every townie and their mother into a spellcaster.

So it ended up being a: "good in theory, bad in practice" type execution. Which they have obviously learned from since NPC's and rotational saves don't become mermaids without player direction.

Really, I think Townies are just a thing we're going to have to deal with until the end of TS4. :-/
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I feel the same way, honestly. I'm a big occult player (because I play this game to ESCAPE from reality) and would love to see more occults get added, especially werewolves. I have a storyline and family that I originally created in Sims 2 and recreated in both Sims 3 AND 4 that needs werewolves as an integral part of the plot and family history. My Sims 4 version of this family has been sitting in my library for ages waiting for werewolves to get added to the game so I can put them into play.

I'd like to have fairies, too, but werewolves are at the top of my wish list for occults.

I think the occult life states we've gotten in 4 so far have been well done (especially the spellcasters and vampires) but I do wish they'd add some of the occult life states we had in previous games to 4, too. I miss them terribly.

The problem with werewolves is that they should been introduced with the vampires together with a sort of Van Helsing aspiaration
  • Options
    Peral wrote: »
    I feel the same way, honestly. I'm a big occult player (because I play this game to ESCAPE from reality) and would love to see more occults get added, especially werewolves. I have a storyline and family that I originally created in Sims 2 and recreated in both Sims 3 AND 4 that needs werewolves as an integral part of the plot and family history. My Sims 4 version of this family has been sitting in my library for ages waiting for werewolves to get added to the game so I can put them into play.

I'd like to have fairies, too, but werewolves are at the top of my wish list for occults.

I think the occult life states we've gotten in 4 so far have been well done (especially the spellcasters and vampires) but I do wish they'd add some of the occult life states we had in previous games to 4, too. I miss them terribly.

The problem with werewolves is that they should been introduced with the vampires together with a sort of Van Helsing aspiaration

Doing that though would have taken resources away from vampires, because even though they're nerfed into the ground now they are the most in-depth version of the life-state we've had in any of the previous generations of the sims. Imho, it's honestly how they should have been handled in TS3 Supernatural, instead of them being crammed into one big pack. Having them come separately (and not as a side feature in packs) would have given all of the lifestates more depth and development, instead of having Fairy and Witches being basically the same with some minor differences and Werewolves being nothing more than oversized doggos (though their animation when they "infect" a human sim is actually quite brutal imo.)

Also, not everything has to be about referencing other materials, like sure you can adhere to some pop-culture lore, like vampires and werewolves being rivals etc, but still. :-/
  • Options
    ChalpyChalpy Posts: 2 New Member
    Up until Sims 4, I bought every pack for the Sims. Sometimes I would wait for a sale but I'd still buy them. Sims 4 is the only series where I'm not sure I'll complete my collection simply because they're so sparse with putting in occult life states. It's sad because I like a lot of things in Sims 4 but playing in the Sims without occults bores me. I think players who have similar tastes are a substantial portion of Sims fans but we may appear underrepresented if, as with myself, people just gave up, stopped buying, stopped doing polls, etc.

To be honest, I almost never post or even visit the forums and I just stopped in today to see if there was a point in buying anything Sims related since I haven't for more than a year. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a point so far so when more attention is paid to occult lifestates I'll catch up on my collection and play some Sims 4 instead of only 2 and 3. Until then, I'll save my money. It's too bad because most of the occult lifestates they did were amazing with only a couple of poorly designed lifestates (I'm looking at you PlantSims). The developers would probably do a great job if they ever get around to doing more lifestates.
  • Options
    RapunzelblondeRapunzelblonde Posts: 51 Member
    What if they created an entirely separate base game that was for occult/fantasy type of play? Base game could offer aliens, vampires, and werewolves that are fully fleshed and not half baked concepts. Worlds could be more magical and imaginative. They could build off it with expansion packs introducing new occult sims and magical worlds. Mermaids, fairies, spellcasters, ghosts...
    Maybe there could be story play and freeplay and different packs could introduce different stories?
    I don't know if it would be worthwhile for them to do this but just dreaming it up in my head I think it could be cool. :) I think most occult sims fans never have enough and they always want more detail and expansion on these concepts. Maybe if there was a separate supernatural Sim base game then that would be possible.