Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Facts Thread

Comments

• Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Maybe instead of eggplant jam it's a spread like baba ganoush.
    Hmmmm... I bet they never heard of that in the Cotswolds 😆😆😆

I don't know. Britain is known for having amazing Indian food. Baba Ganoush is Lebanese, but the Indian version would be Bhaingan Bhartha, I suppose.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member
    This was spotted in the trailer. A telephone booth but it's probably not useable.

Doctor? I’m not liking the new color, my friend!
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Aubergines/Eggplants are generally thought of as being veggies, but technically they're a fruit, so it could be a jam, but alternately it could also be a relish? That would fit, wouldn't it? I think they add jarred savoury items in past versions, but I can't remember.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    Kironide wrote: »
    Aubergines/Eggplants are generally thought of as being veggies, but technically they're a fruit, so it could be a jam, but alternately it could also be a relish? That would fit, wouldn't it? I think they add jarred savoury items in past versions, but I can't remember.

Apparently eggplant jam is a thing after all, but eggplant relish does sound good as well. My mum, who canned a lot, was an expert at making good relishes; she made the most delicious tomato relish when I was young, which was very tomatoey, fresh and good. We preferred it to ketchup in our family, because it was less sweet, but we always ate it up really quickly and then we would be stuck with ketchup again. We never thought of eggplant relish, though, but I bet it would be just as good. She also pickled beans and beets, which were also surprisingly good. We do have beans in the game, so I supposed there could be pickled beans or something like it. Too bad we don't have cucumbers so we could have actual pickles!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @simfriend1968

Hearing you describe all the possibilities for this new features makes me really excited for it all over again! I'm looking forward to the jamming/canning that they've added to this pack and I'm delighted that we won't need another cooker to do it. :p (Does a happy finger dance). Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    lovemy4s wrote: »
    This was spotted in the trailer. A telephone booth but it's probably not useable.

It probably comes in several swatches.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    I’ve never heard of milk bread but bread pudding is very popular in the uk it’s bread baked in milk, egg and raisins. Maybe the milk bread in the game similar to this. I googled milk bread and it’s a Japanese type of bread which wouldn’t fit for this pack.

Perhaps they try to reach out to more corners of the RL world than just England, by including small details like a Japanese milk bread? I thought the retro song on the CL trailer had a Japanese feel to it. Knowing some pop artists intentionally flirted with Asian sounds in the 80s, but I thought it was a weird song for a farming pack.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to identify any more of the new recipes that are coming with this EP? I am always really interested in the recipes because I think the Sims 4 is now doing food very well (just look at all the amazing variety). The blog mentions two popular English dishes by name, Beef Wellington and Yorkshire Pudding, as new recipes (so I think these are definitely confirmed). At another point, in connection with Agnes Crumplebottom, there's a mention of crumpets. I do hope we get those as well.

In the trailer, at about 1:27, three sims in front of the new pub appear to be eating what looks to me like Shepherd's Pie, Toad-in-a-whole, and (possibly, I can't quite tell) a serving of Beef Wellington. In another promotional image, which is up on the Sims Community website, there is a mother serving a dish of what looks like some kind of berry crumble, and a little girl eating what looks like to me an English breakfast of Bangers and Mash. On the table are serving dishes with Beef Wellington (a full group meal size) and more Bangers and Mash. There is also a jar of what looks like Aubergine Preserve (is that a thing?) in front and a third dish I can't identify (of red stacked layers with something white, possibly cheese or mashed potatoes on top). Someone said it might be Eggplant or Vegetable Lasagna, but that doesn't strike me as a very English dish. Does anyone know what it is?

I am also thrilled that there will be canning, although I hope it will include more normal jams and jellies than eggplant, like cherry, strawberry, blackberry and grape, lemon marmalade, apple butter or jelly, pomegranate and pineapple etc.

I remember people on Twitter just assuming that that's meant to be canned aubergine not a jam, but I don't remember that theory being confirmed by a dev. Cool idea for having produce available out of season. But it's not like vegetables rot in our fridges in the game anyway though. haha I guess if people want to be more authentic, they can NOT horde produce in their fridges and go that route. So that's cool.

if it's a purple something in a jar then it's maybe it's Plum Jam, which is delicious.
    Milk loaf is indeed similar to the Japanese variety, in that it contains quite a lot of milk. It's often also completely round!

It's from this Tweet, it's on the table. There is a picture of an aubergine/eggplant on the jar. That's what people were talking about.

Oh yes, Aubergine Preserve. Shame, I love plum jam D:
  • Options
    Has anyone been able to identify any more of the new recipes that are coming with this EP? I am always really interested in the recipes because I think the Sims 4 is now doing food very well (just look at all the amazing variety). The blog mentions two popular English dishes by name, Beef Wellington and Yorkshire Pudding, as new recipes (so I think these are definitely confirmed). At another point, in connection with Agnes Crumplebottom, there's a mention of crumpets. I do hope we get those as well.

In the trailer, at about 1:27, three sims in front of the new pub appear to be eating what looks to me like Shepherd's Pie, Toad-in-a-whole, and (possibly, I can't quite tell) a serving of Beef Wellington. In another promotional image, which is up on the Sims Community website, there is a mother serving a dish of what looks like some kind of berry crumble, and a little girl eating what looks like to me an English breakfast of Bangers and Mash. On the table are serving dishes with Beef Wellington (a full group meal size) and more Bangers and Mash. There is also a jar of what looks like Aubergine Preserve (is that a thing?) in front and a third dish I can't identify (of red stacked layers with something white, possibly cheese or mashed potatoes on top). Someone said it might be Eggplant or Vegetable Lasagna, but that doesn't strike me as a very English dish. Does anyone know what it is?

I am also thrilled that there will be canning, although I hope it will include more normal jams and jellies than eggplant, like cherry, strawberry, blackberry and grape, lemon marmalade, apple butter or jelly, pomegranate and pineapple etc.

I remember people on Twitter just assuming that that's meant to be canned aubergine not a jam, but I don't remember that theory being confirmed by a dev. Cool idea for having produce available out of season. But it's not like vegetables rot in our fridges in the game anyway though. haha I guess if people want to be more authentic, they can NOT horde produce in their fridges and go that route. So that's cool.

if it's a purple something in a jar then it's maybe it's Plum Jam, which is delicious.
    Milk loaf is indeed similar to the Japanese variety, in that it contains quite a lot of milk. It's often also completely round!

It's from this Tweet, it's on the table. There is a picture of an aubergine/eggplant on the jar. That's what people were talking about.

We used to have plum trees in the Sims 3 (they came with World Adventures). I still hold out hope that we will get them again in the Sims 4 at some point. This would be normally have been the best time to implement them (along with other wonderful native English fruits like currants, raspberries, sloes, cranberries, juniper berries etc). But something tells me that the only harvestables we will be getting will be those attached to the new garden patch, like pumpkins, aubergines, mushrooms and watermelons. Since they were implementing a whole new type of gardening I guess they just didn't have the resources to add any normal harvestables.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »
    Wow, I was sure they were hinting at fairies.

Same here. I am getting desperate. This pack will be a nice distraction but the game can use a new occult. It has been ages ago since we got the last occult lifestate.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

We used to have plum trees in the Sims 3 (they came with World Adventures). I still hold out hope that we will get them again in the Sims 4 at some point. This would be normally have been the best time to implement them (along with other wonderful native English fruits like currants, raspberries, sloes, cranberries, juniper berries etc). But something tells me that the only harvestables we will be getting will be those attached to the new garden patch, like pumpkins, aubergines, mushrooms and watermelons. Since they were implementing a whole new type of gardening I guess they just didn't have the resources to add any normal harvestables.

Personally I'm hoping that the canning and jam making will allow us to turn any fruit into a jam, similar to what they did with juice making in Eco Lifestyle.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

Red telephone boxes - a British standard.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Doctor? Doctor Who? :D
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I’ve never heard of milk bread but bread pudding is very popular in the uk it’s bread baked in milk, egg and raisins. Maybe the milk bread in the game similar to this. I googled milk bread and it’s a Japanese type of bread which wouldn’t fit for this pack.

Perhaps they try to reach out to more corners of the RL world than just England, by including small details like a Japanese milk bread? I thought the retro song on the CL trailer had a Japanese feel to it. Knowing some pop artists intentionally flirted with Asian sounds in the 80s, but I thought it was a weird song for a farming pack.

I understand what you mean but the last ep was based on a Japanese world so if it is milk bread from Japan surely it would have made sense to put it that pack. This is a pack inspired by rural England but then there is a dish that looks like lasagne which is Italian so maybe they are mixing it up a bit.
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member

They already talked about foraging for berries (including feeding cows "chocoberries" to get chocolate milk) so other harvestables will be there. By the looks of it, the new garden patch is mostly for vegetables that grow in the ground, as opposed to on a tree or Bush.
  • Options
    LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member

I understand what you mean but the last ep was based on a Japanese world so if it is milk bread from Japan surely it would have made sense to put it that pack. This is a pack inspired by rural England but then there is a dish that looks like lasagne which is Italian so maybe they are mixing it up a bit.

No idea about the milk bread, but Lasagna makes more sense than you think. It is a classic pub food for us here (I am from the UK)
  • Options

No idea about the milk bread, but Lasagna makes more sense than you think. It is a classic pub food for us here (I am from the UK)

LOL - I totally agree. @LenaDieters - I think I read once that British people's favourite food was curry. It even pipped fish and chips at the post. Lasagne is definitely a staple.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member

Yes your right I didn’t make the pub meal connection with lasagne. I just think of it as Italian. It’s been ages since I’ve had a pub meal. I’m from the uk too.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I wanna play this pack now🦙
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I see a lot of Dutch inspiration in this pack. Specially with the clothing and the roofing decor/BB items. I mentioned in another thread that it reminds me of Heidi. I read the story as a kid and now me and my daughter have seen the Netflix series.

I saw that ponds freeze over but you can't skate on them. That's a bummer. But overall I'm really liking what I see. I'm really 3xcited for this pack and now. I don't have Twitter so thank you for posting the response questions.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    JestTru wrote: »
    I see a lot of Dutch inspiration in this pack. Specially with the clothing and the roofing decor/BB items. I mentioned in another thread that it reminds me of Heidi. I read the story as a kid and now me and my daughter have seen the Netflix series.

I saw that ponds freeze over but you can't skate on them. That's a bummer. But overall I'm really liking what I see. I'm really 3xcited for this pack and now. I don't have Twitter so thank you for posting the response questions.

Heidi is Austrian😉
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited June 2021
    JestTru wrote: »

Heidi is Austrian😉

I did not know that about Heidi. Thank you... I was just thinking Switzerland through the Netherlands in general as far as style anyways.

WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Thetford wrote: »

They already talked about foraging for berries (including feeding cows "chocoberries" to get chocolate milk) so other harvestables will be there. By the looks of it, the new garden patch is mostly for vegetables that grow in the ground, as opposed to on a tree or Bush.

Thanks for reminding me about the foraging. I think I am just afraid with the invention of "chocoberries" that the new harvestables will be mostly fictional or silly, (rather than being real and useful, like vanilla bean, currants, raspberries, plums, cranberries, etc). Honestly, why couldn't they have gone with the real chocolate ingredient of cacao beans? I mean, I know those grow on trees in the Amazon, not in England, and that they don't make cows give chocolate milk, but surely someone could have come up with some reason why they'd be found near the town and have this new ability. They didn't really need to create an entirely fictional plant. I still remember my disappointment in Jungle Adventures on hearing there would be nine harvestables, which seemed incredible at first, only to find that most of them were those mystical emotion berries (merry berries, vimberries etc) only useful for exploring tombs.
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    edited June 2021
    > @JestTru said:
    > I see a lot of Dutch inspiration in this pack. Specially with the clothing and the roofing decor/BB items. I mentioned in another thread that it reminds me of Heidi. I read the story as a kid and now me and my daughter have seen the Netflix series.

Heidi is Swiss and the Switzerland has nothing to do with the Netherlands. They are not even neighboring countries. Switzerland is in the Alps and the Netherlands are on the North Sea.

I wonder about your discussion about milk bread. I'm not confirm in british dishes but in germany we know milk bread too and it's not very japanese. Maybe it's more like french Brioche. I think it's inspired by european food and not japenese. It makes more sense for me.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Melisendre wrote: »
    > @JestTru said:
    > I see a lot of Dutch inspiration in this pack. Specially with the clothing and the roofing decor/BB items. I mentioned in another thread that it reminds me of Heidi. I read the story as a kid and now me and my daughter have seen the Netflix series.

Heidi is Swiss and the Switzerland has nothing to do with the Netherlands. They are not even neighboring countries. Switzerland is in the Alps and the Netherlands are on the North Sea.

I wonder about your discussion about milk bread. I'm not confirm in british dishes but in germany we know milk bread too and it's not very japanese. Maybe it's more like french Brioche. I think it's inspired by european food and not japenese. It makes more sense for me.

The French have a milk bread recipe called pain au lait.