Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims 4 Cottage Living Negativity thread.

Comments

• Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I usually try to avoid negativity threads but this issue deserves to be mentioned here. Tcuhr8d.png
    This makes me more angry than the kit cash grabs. Urging people to buy before a certain date... . Disgusting. Too bad because the bike looks cute. :'(

They have to pull this squeeze play by September because 4 is probably coming to an end making way for 5.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    Honestly love most of the pack but I really wish the picnic baskets worked on the floor. That's kind of the whole point.

Also I think neighborhoods should always have at least 5 lots. The world really needed 15 lots minimum.
  • Options
    iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    Is there a chance fairies just didn't show up in the trailer? Maybe they're a secret/surprise?
  • Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    I can live with no horses as they're a lot of work and I'd want them to be more fleshed out.

My one gripe is the world. Partly as they've reused too many trees from Willow Creek which makes it too USA like/same-y. They confirmed on twitter there are only 12 lots, 3 neighbourhoods with 4 each. One more than Del Sol Valley... I know it's rural so less lots makes sense but I was hoping for more. Tbh I wish all worlds had more lots though.

The first thing I said when people got the post cards is that it looks like Willow Creek and it really gives me those vibes.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    To7m wrote: ยป
    haneul wrote: ยป
    It would be awful if they donโ€™t let us cook the rabbits, cows, and chickens!

I can't tell if you're serious, but the dev team already said they would never allow that. The rabbits are wild creatures to befriend, the chickens produce eggs, and the cows milk. That's all.

Never allow what? Cooking? You realise FARMING is raising animals, crops and usually diary products for consumption, right?

Not that this is a farming pack. Itโ€™s not. I want a farming pack. This is living in a cottage in the woods picking flowers and growing vegetables while having a few chickens pack.

โ€”T

I am happy we're getting anything at all, but I had free roaming livestock in mind. Couldn't they have at least made it to where you could put more than one cow in a stall and mated them. So many cows to a stall before you have to sell or just keep what you have. I also had wanted pigs. I was afraid they would concentrate on everything but the real farm outside. No tractor? Do we even already have corn and if not why not now? Everything in the Sims4 is tied to something. Birds, rabbits ect. We can't control cats and dogs, but they take up a space; that wasn't fair. I wanted barbed wire and electric fences and still hoping for that and hopefully that's one of the deaths they are talking about, but afraid we will be stuck to a wood fence, which we already have some. Wouldn't care to get a new one if I knew the barbed and electric were coming too.

The pack makes it look farmy, but not much actual farming going on. I wanted real cows out in a fenced area, even if it was a box type area with invisible boundries. Plopping down several of those instead of outbuildings would've been more realistic. It looks nice in the video, but I had wanted to buy/sell animals, breed them and have young, and grow my farm. I can see now as in the Sims3 that you needn't dream as big as the farm games that focus on farming that they sell other places. Sims 3 did such great things with horses and unicorns, but 4 is extremely limited. I'm having fun with the decorating GP and I enjoy many parts of Sims4, but I really miss the realness of the Sims3, the open world, collecting bugs ect., having small animals, real aquariums. I guess dreams of having any real farm will have to wait for Sims 5 or better and let's face it, Sims 5 won't be worth making if it isn't open world because obviously you need that for roaming animals and many other things.

I liked much of what I saw, but much of it could've come in other packs and this one focusing just on farming. So bummed the cows are stuck and no pigs. Why not leave woodland animals for a petting zoo pack and instead put in sheep and pigs? I know I will enjoy doing more and having the new EP, but like you, it wasn't what I wanted in a farming pack. This isn't farming, but a woodland pack. Good luck on us ever getting the goats and pigs. Maybe they will come in with horses or something. I'm looking foward to the new play but bummed it couldn't have been about real farming. Maybe there will be more like the fences I want. I'd rather have had the pigs and goats than fairies, but hoping we're getting them since we know for sure there aren't pigs and goats. I'm not a fairy type person, but I play limitedly with them in the Sims 3 and thought they were beautiful. At least if there in this pack, they won't waste a GP on them in the future. Mixed bag for me, but still liked what I saw. Just not what I dreamed and hoped for.
  • Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    Not enough lots seems to be a running theme now in EPs, to the point that I wasn't expecting another Windenberg. My concern would be how many of those lots are taken up by "must have" lots. Like, Henford seems to have a bar, because it's not a Sims world without at least one bar, but at least having a village pub makes sense here. But if the 64x64 lot is the town square where all the contests and markets happen, and there's the bar, and if those ruins count as another lot (especially if they're a specialty lot like all those lots in Windenberg), then we're down to nine.

The lack of horses and faeries is disappointing. I would have liked either, even if faeries were fairly shallow like mermaids or aliens. Horses, okay, animating horse riding and all is pretty involved, so many there should be an Equestrian Life pack. But faeries? Even if we get a full faeries pack, EA isn't going to research fairy lore from around the world, make different types of fae, have a mechanic where they steal children or anything like that. They'll be humans with pointy ears, a longer lifespan, maybe wings, some special abilities.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited June 2021
    Gordy wrote: ยป
    I'm worried there will be a Farmstead lot type, like the Haunted House lot type. And the animals, or at least the bigger ones, are tied to them. So you can have farms in all words, but you won't be able to keep cows in an apartment. Which would be lame because I want my eccentric rich sims to have a penthouse farmhouse.

I heard that the chickens, llamas and cows were tied to a little barn type thing, so you might possibly be able to put them in a penthouse with tall wallsโ€ฆ. Good question to ask the guruโ€™s. The rabbits I think may be able to be used in other worlds after you get to know them, as I think they might be tied to a tree stump with a hole, but I think I heard you have to get to know them firstโ€ฆ.. not sure exactly how that works, but Iโ€™m thinking you may be able to put a stump in your yard anywhere after meeting them and building a relationship. The foxes are not playable but they can take chicken eggs. You can have up to 8 chickens in a coup, and only one lama or one cow per barn, jam making in part of the cooking skill. None of the snimals take a spot in the sims panel and are not reslly considered pets, but you can bond with them.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm worried there will be a Farmstead lot type, like the Haunted House lot type. And the animals, or at least the bigger ones, are tied to them. So you can have farms in all words, but you won't be able to keep cows in an apartment. Which would be lame because I want my eccentric rich sims to have a penthouse farmhouse.

I heard that the chickens, llamas and cows were tied to a little barn type thing, so you might possibly be able to put them in a penthouse with tall wallsโ€ฆ. Good question to ask the guruโ€™s.

Iโ€™m hoping that we can at least edit the swatches for the barns, maybe have a modern style of barn too.
    I wish they would just give us the rabbit-hole doorway so we can just make our own Barns, but I doubt that will happen :/
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    It doesnโ€™t look like we are going to be able to use animals for meat, or that the llama and cow are reproducible. I at least wish we could have had more than 1 cow per barn, and that we could have them reproduce and at least sell the offspring to make money, but I donโ€™t think thatโ€™s going to be possible. Iโ€™m still excited to have farm animals even if it is not the way I would have done it. I personally donโ€™t think it looks like willow creekโ€ฆ. It seems greener to me. One of the game changers think we might be getting a pond tool too, I would like this.

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Well for me, I'm more impressed by what we're getting than what I figured we'd get. So there's that. I figured it would focus solely on gardening and pretty much that was it.

But .......

I'm not really digging the whole world with it's old time, Hansel and Gretel style cottages. Don't get me wrong, the world looks nice if you've been wanting that fairytale vibe world but that's not my style. I typically play with more modernish American style worlds so I'm hoping that the fake backdrops will blend easily with different builds.

I also hate those barn/shed things the animals are tied to. I don't know if they actually interact with them or not ..... as in, go inside of them. But that will be the first thing I check out, because I will be creating some other type of CC building if those sheds have a function. If the animals don't actually do anything with the building, then I will just make a minuscule, non-intrusive mesh object to tie the animals to. Because the whole reason I wanted a farming back was to make a farm, with animals in a pasture. I don't want to have to have 20 fake shed buildings in my field. That's just, NO!

I already figured the animals would be objects, because come on, they didn't even give us live babies, I already assumed the animals would not be an living creature.

And, I've seen several people mentioning shrinking the shed/building down. I'm not sure that will work because if the animal is part of that mesh, then I believe the animal will shrink also. It would be very similar to how the bassinet works. Has anybody shrank that down to hide it?

I'm also extremely disappointed in only getting 12 lots. Which you know we'll actually only have 1 empty lot to build on because some of the Gamechangers have built I think 9 lots.

I'm not sure how I feel about the quests either. I will definitely check them out and they might be ok if I'm bored.

• Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Has anyone mentioned how the country kitchen kit was obviously cut from this EP to be sold seperate...? ๐Ÿ™„
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I have a lot of doubts as to how this pack pertains to actual farming. It isn't about farming. It's more about hobbies. How many people have turned to raising chickens and planting kitchen gardens with herbs and spices during the pandemic lockdowns. That is not farming, it's a hobby meant to fill idle time and give families something to do together. Cooking has also become a thing that families do together. Now I am not saying these are not good activities, but I also can't say it screams farming because real farms come in all shapes and sizes.

New plants means the borked gardening features that came with EL may become worse because those were never totally fixed. New food items means the bugs we have been dealing with for months and years may also become more sketchy. Sims not eating or wanting to cook all the time being two I have had to wrestle with. New animals could have a negative impact on any pets we have already placed in played households. Remember the disappearing pet bug in EL? And the little girl doing cross stitch means the teams probably 'borrowed' parts of the knitting skill and objects to make room for this new activity. And who knows what may have happened during that process. Plus cross stitch should have been included in that pack from the beginning. Just sayin'.

Would it have been too much to ask for even a small difference in the trees and flowers in this new world that would have made it different from all the other worlds we have? And don't get me started on the early access items we can claim if we buy this pack before September. What a joke. I rarely use bikes for my Sims, I find the gnomes a tad bit creepy and I don't need another huge tree to place on my lots when we have far too many small lots to build on as it is. On that subject, I wont be too shocked if we end up with more 30x20 lots than 30x40 lots that could actually be used to build our 'farms'. We're going to need a lot of space in order to use the objects tied to the various new animals. And I won't be able to use those animals on a 30x20 lot even if I settle on a tiny home for the family. Instead of creating something that actually looks like a full-blown farm, we'll be forced to settle for whatever we can fit on a small lot. And that is called a hobby farm. Not an actual working farm.

There are many other concerns on my list, but it would take too long to list each one in a single post. So even though I liked some of what I saw in the trailer this morning, I will not be buying the pack upon it's release. I will probably buy it sometime in the future, at half price, and after the bugs are fixed by the teams or with mods. Which is what I have been doing since Island Living wrecked my game for months. I am the consumer, not an unpaid quality control employee of EA's. If I were given a free copy of this pack and paid forty dollars to find the bugs, it would be a different story. But I won't be paying forty dollars for a pack I know will have problems, then left to find my own solutions for stuff that should have been fixed before the pack was released.

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    In general, I'm definitely a fan because I've been waiting for this theme so I could send some sims farming. I freely welcome any criticism of the "limited time content" because though I get why they are doing it, it obviously changes the way that things have been. Up to this point, anyone could get nearly any content except for the early stuff from community challenges at any time. You could say, "Well, in 6 months, I'll get that pack," and it would be basically the same. Now, they'll either resell it later or you'll only get it during the short window near release. I mean, it's a small change but it's still a change.

The comparison to Willow Creek is interesting. I honestly like Willow Creek a lot. I would guess that the weather and climate will be different because if Henford-on-Bagley is based on England, the weather will not be Americanized. To be really accurate, it should be sunny when you go out one door and rainy when you get to the next. The sims should periodically squint and wonder if they actually see the sun or if they just confused one cloud over another. (That's an affectionate joke). When the temperature reads mild, the sims should all go to the park and sunbathe. Still, they should say that they love it.

That being said it is extremely cutesy. I'll admit that I like a dose of it especially when there are other worlds like Evergreen Harbor that aren't. I would have liked horses and I'm guessing that if we see them, they will be a repackaged theme. It's also possible that they think horses involve a lot of specific gameplay.

I mean, I am generally happy but I do think criticism can improve things. I think there are a lot of "very cute" games out there that this seems to be going for the players of. I can take it and often like it but I also like balance. I mostly think it is great but I understand asking for supernatural content. I also think that the pack might hint at medieval content since someone could possibly convert it into a medieval world. I would have to look at it more closely to say for certain.

It's the Willow Creek reused trees that bug me. I'm English and most of the pack does seem like the British countryside, but that first scene doesn't for me. Idk what it is, just something off with the trees and such. I think they copied them to save time and it's only a minor thing. Just gave me vibes like an American clearly made and designed this, not a Brit.

The houses look better, thank god they chose British game changers to build them is all I can say. I wish they'd given us letterboxes though.

This I understand and you're right about it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I just realized that now there are two CL expansion packs.
    City Living, Cottage Living.
    The confusion this will bring.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Well for me, I'm more impressed by what we're getting than what I figured we'd get. So there's that. I figured it would focus solely on gardening and pretty much that was it.

But .......

I'm not really digging the whole world with it's old time, Hansel and Gretel style cottages. Don't get me wrong, the world looks nice if you've been wanting that fairytale vibe world but that's not my style. I typically play with more modernish American style worlds so I'm hoping that the fake backdrops will blend easily with different builds.

I also hate those barn/shed things the animals are tied to. I don't know if they actually interact with them or not ..... as in, go inside of them. But that will be the first thing I check out, because I will be creating some other type of CC building if those sheds have a function. If the animals don't actually do anything with the building, then I will just make a minuscule, non-intrusive mesh object to tie the animals to. Because the whole reason I wanted a farming back was to make a farm, with animals in a pasture. I don't want to have to have 20 fake shed buildings in my field. That's just, NO!

I already figured the animals would be objects, because come on, they didn't even give us live babies, I already assumed the animals would not be an living creature.

And, I've seen several people mentioning shrinking the shed/building down. I'm not sure that will work because if the animal is part of that mesh, then I believe the animal will shrink also. It would be very similar to how the bassinet works. Has anybody shrank that down to hide it?

I'm also extremely disappointed in only getting 12 lots. Which you know we'll actually only have 1 empty lot to build on because some of the Gamechangers have built I think 9 lots.

I'm not sure how I feel about the quests either. I will definitely check them out and they might be ok if I'm bored.

I feel the same. I'm not sold on the whole cottage living either. To be honest, this reminds me more of the Shire in Lord of the Rings than living on a farm.
  • Options
    KittonKitton Posts: 1 New Member
    The bunnies for Cottage Living. So far it seems that the bunnies are just wild animals you can find in the world and interact with. I am a bunnymom and I'm dying to just recreate my little babies to add to my sims self household.. I would pay the 40 euro's just to have the ability to have bunnies as pets. I am praying so desperately that it will be possible! I'm not hopeful and am mentally preparing myself to be let down once again..
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    My biggest complaint besides not getting a full on farm expansion is the small world I'm so tired of having no where to build if I want a bar restaurant gym and a park in this world I'm down to an entire 8 lots left over its ridiculous and I'd actually want every community lot type which would leave me not much room for residential.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I'm someone that wanted farming/ranching but I can say plainly that I'm ready for the sustainability/live off the land theme to be put to rest. This pack definitely delivers although it's sad that it doesn't include horses (but I guess we'll save that for a future kit, sp or gp๐Ÿ™„)
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    The style is too cutesy for my personal taste. I don't play Disney princesses who make forest friends that help them sew dresses (no offense to those who want to); having wild animals bring my sim gifts just doesn't appeal to me.

One thing from the blog that particularly troubles me:
    In the forest, look out for wild rabbits, foxes, and birds. Earn their trust for occasional gifts and help in the garden.

Are the rabbits unable to be kept as actual pets by sims who live in other worlds?

Rabbits are confirmed to not be household pets. Sims can put a home down for them but they will come and go.

And also I agree with the too cutsey thing. I absolutely do not care about the animals having clothes and stuff I think it's ridiculous that they devote time to such things instead of allowing us to own herds of cows/llamas or whatever.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I noticed that we didn't see any baby cows or llamas. I hope we can raise them from infancy, but it looks like we just might get them fully-grown.

Who wants to keep cows in an apartment? ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ
    I do.

It looked to me like the animals were attached to a small building which would mean they come as is. Hope Iโ€™m wrong, Iโ€™d love the ability to raise animals.

I love the idea of cows ๐Ÿฎ in an apartment! ๐Ÿ˜‚
    I usually try to avoid negativity threads but this issue deserves to be mentioned here. Tcuhr8d.png
    This makes me more angry than the kit cash grabs. Urging people to buy before a certain date... . Disgusting. Too bad because the bike looks cute. :'(

I donโ€™t like buy before a certain date to get these bonus items. ๐Ÿ˜ซ Iโ€™ll wait to September 3rd then! โ˜•๏ธ

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! ๐Ÿ˜Šโ˜•๏ธ๐ŸŒž
  • Options
    chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    I don't really have any gripes about the pack, I think it looks brill and seems to have a lot of gameplay even looking past the flashy trailer!

My only nitpick is the kitchen, it looks brill but we recently got a "Country Kitchen Kit" and the two look simular in design from what I've seen so far. Choice is always good but how many people could have skipped on this kit if they knew this EP was just round the corner?

I'm half expecting the next EP to have a morroccan based world with assets to build a morroccan *garden* now! ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I don't really have any gripes about the pack, I think it looks brill and seems to have a lot of gameplay even looking past the flashy trailer!

My only nitpick is the kitchen, it looks brill but we recently got a "Country Kitchen Kit" and the two look simular in design from what I've seen so far. Choice is always good but how many people could have skipped on this kit if they knew this EP was just round the corner?

I'm half expecting the next EP to have a morroccan based world with assets to build a morroccan *garden* now! ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

I would love a Morroccan world regardless. :smile:
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    ddd994 wrote: ยป
    Has anyone mentioned how the country kitchen kit was obviously cut from this EP to be sold seperate...? ๐Ÿ™„
    Either that, or they just liked both concepts and couldn't decide which one to put into the EP? I actually don't really mind. My only gripe with kits in general is that they're a bit overpriced, but that's sims, I guess.
    My biggest complaint besides not getting a full on farm expansion is the small world I'm so tired of having no where to build if I want a bar restaurant gym and a park in this world I'm down to an entire 8 lots left over its ridiculous and I'd actually want every community lot type which would leave me not much room for residential.
    Yeah, agreed, 12 lots is way too few. Worlds keep getting smaller, they're almost game pack size now. It's barely any bigger than Strangerville, which also has 12 lots if you count the lab.

But at least there's going to be a 64x64 again. That's something.

The rest of the EP has me excited, though. :)
  • Options
    chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member

I would love a Morroccan world regardless. :smile:

Oh me too, don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about this world or any world that compliments kit packs. I'm already looking forward to this free morroccan patch which is coming soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm just thinking that had it been the other way round the appeal of the Country Kitchen Kit would be very different.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I'm already looking forward to this free morroccan patch which is coming soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tell me more! :smiley:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top