Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I was forgiving of DHD until this.

CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
I knew going in that this was a lightweight Game Pack.
However, I did like the idea of a pack that encouraged Builders to play and Players to build.
The sectional furniture system is cool and I like giving my sims likes and dislikes.

But this pack is not strong in the area of getting Builders to Play.
I went into this pack with the idea of the growth and development of my sim as an Interior Decorator.
There is not enough focus on your sim's game play as I had thought there would be.

There is not any skill based growth and development.
It's just performing gigs and the player getting information and making choices. Your sim doesn't factor into it much.
I thought Charisma, Photography, and an art skill would be what boosts performance. If it does, the game is putting it in the background.
Your sim is just a visual proxy, on-site for your building activities as a builder, not a player.

This pack should have had a new skill, like Design Theory and Practice.
Something that would encompass history of design, color theory, materials, composition, structure and form etc.
Get Famous actors have their acting skill that they can practice in a mirror, on a microphone, or with other sims.
Stylists have a style-board and are required to level up in certain skills, that help in their performance.

I thought the designer career would be similar to the stylist because of this desk and style board.
06-03-21_8-36-19_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But they are just a picture and desk and have nothing to do with design other than visual immersion.
They are just for show. It really is a builders pack, thinly disguised as game play, repurposed from existing systems.

This is a wonderful Stuff Pack.
It's an underwhelming Game Pack. The focus is narrow, as it should be, but the depth is shallow as far a role playing your sim in this career.
It's especially aggravating since other career features that would have given it more depth already exists in the game.

I still like the pack, but it misses the mark for me.
I will get my enjoyment out of it, but I certainly overpaid for what I got.
What would this game need for me to be happy with it?

Not a lot. That desk and style board being functional for starters, and skills determining performance.
I would also like my sims Charisma, Photography and Interior Design skill levels being useful for drumming up new clients and getting repeat business. This would allow me to target households I would like to have as clients. I want the game to be more about the sims and less about the number of gigs performed. A career aspiration would be nice, as well one for sims wanting to improve their living spaces.

I will have to be more creative to get the game play immersion I need. My sim will run a Home Decor business (Get To Work) that provides interior design services (DHD). She will have a media arm of her business where she has a Simtube channel and does live streams from client homes (Get Famous), if that's possible. I haven't tried it yet. She is also an artist and will sell her art at her business and on Plopsy.

I believe just performing gigs will get boring, despite providing build challenges.
It's not something I will want to do everyday for my sim. That's why I have the Home Decor business. She can take Gigs as she pleases for alternative income and I can role play her having a design studio in her business.
The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
Post edited by CK213 on

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,880 Member
    I agree with the need for a new skill and aspiration. Something related to the career outside of renovating gigs. I was really looking forward to a new drafting table. That's one of my favorite objects in S3.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2021
    If this pack was made to make builder play more then they would do it so that the renovation actually has an effect on the sims' lives. If the building did actually affect live mode then the builders would be more motivated to play live mode and see the outcome.

Since the renovation makes 0 difference in your sims' everday lives there is no motivation for a builder to enter live mode, except just to get gigs.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I agree with you. It seems like any Sim can just start the career and succeed. There is no University degree attached at the moment, no skill attached, and no aspiration attached.

I'm also disappointed that there is no gameplay object in particular related to the career that I have seen. The desk you mentioned is just a regular desk.

Is there a way for Sims to boost their career level aside from actually going to work? Is there something on the computer like "Research Decorating" or something like that that will boost the career?
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I too wish it was a stuff pack. I would buy it for the fun looking career. But the modulars and cabinets don't interest me enough to pay 20€. I understand they wanted to give something to the builders as well and that the bigger budget probably allowed all that extra build stuff. Just not what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Well, that's not good. I don't know why, I just automatically assumed there would be a design skill of some sort. How can there not be? It doesn't make sense. And they dropped the ball with no aspiration and no useable draft desk. Sigh.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    It really is annoyingly confusing why they didn’t add skills, traits, aspirations, etc. to this pack. I’m one of those people who will buy packs for certain elements while forgiving/ignoring other things I don’t like, to a point. I love getting new skills et al. because those things add more sandbox-esque diversity to the game. Not every Sim will be an interior decorator for example, but a lot more might pick up some sort of interior decorating hobby/skill throughout their lifetime. Nearly every other GP allowed for this kind of maneuvering because they included extras like a world or something. My Sim doesn’t have to be a Vampire, but they can still live in Forgotten Hollow.

DHD is just - you either play the career or you use the objects. There is no other sandbox tool besides what you make of the career. And somehow that is meant to entice builders to play in Live mode when builders already have a sandbox when they build to begin with. Idk. I saw a GameChanger say this pack has lots of replay-ability because you can do every renovation different each time, but that’s literally just how Build mode is. I think that seeing how little Sims care about what is done with the renovations actually is a misstep that needs to be fixed, otherwise there is no incentive/motivation to go through the career to do the renovation when you can just do the same thing in build mode for the same result.
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Im still a big fan and def find it very replayable. Im not bothered about the lack of skills but I am disappointed at the lack of aspiration. Even the knitting pack gave you an aspiration so it does feel like this one is lacking.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited June 2021
    CK213 wrote: »
    homes (Get Famous), if that's possible. I haven't tried it yet. She is also an artist and will sell her art at her business and on Plopsy.

I'm still deeply unenthusiastic about this pack overall, and I expect it will be a good long time if ever before I buy it, even on sale.

BUT, you do bring up an interesting idea here. I could see using this career as an opportunity to easily get your sim's paintings into as many homes as possible, as you could have them simply add their own paintings to the new decor. Currently, my main artist sim owns a gallery, but it's a bit of a pain to have to go through my households one by one and have them travel to her gallery to buy her paintings. Or else she gifts them, but that's... overly generous to do too often, particularly with masterpieces. But if she's also getting paid for the decorating gig, and I could also have her maybe sell off something from the client's house of commensurate value and pocket the cash... hmmm. That could be interesting.

ETA: is it even possible for decorator sims to add items to the client's home from their own inventory? If not, I guess this idea wouldn't work, but that would also be a huge missed opportunity. I mean, even in real life, interior designers and even realtors will sometimes buy you some special little something as a personal gift to try to give that personal touch (and, I suppose, bribe you for repeat business and good referrals).
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes this pack has definitely given me 'design your own save file' vibes.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @Amapola76 I saw in another thread that someone is already getting their sim to add their own paintings to customer homes, so I guess it must be possible to drag stuff from your inventory.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    To be fair I’d rather have a skill than new aspiration. The aspirations are really dull and lack depth in sims 4. They are basically tutorials for the packs and I don’t use half of them. But a skill yes, that would have been great. I’m shocked no current skills make a difference and my sims fine arts degree from ages ago also doesn’t seem to do much. I think I only was able to start on level 3 because she had As in high school.
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I knew going in that this was a lightweight Game Pack.
    However, I did like the idea of a pack that encouraged Builders to play and Players to build.
    The sectional furniture system is cool and I like giving my sims likes and dislikes.

But this pack is not strong in the area of getting Builders to Play.
    I went into this pack with the idea of the growth and development of my sim as an Interior Decorator.
    There is not enough focus on your sim's game play as I had thought there would be.

There is not any skill based growth and development.
    It's just performing gigs and the player getting information and making choices. Your sim doesn't factor into it much.
    I thought Charisma, Photography, and an art skill would be what boosts performance. If it does, the game is putting it in the background.
    Your sim is just a visual proxy, on-site for your building activities as a builder, not a player.

This pack should have had a new skill, like Design Theory and Practice.
    Something that would encompass history of design, color theory, materials, composition, structure and form etc.
    Get Famous actors have their acting skill that they can practice in a mirror, on a microphone, or with other sims.
    Stylists have a style-board and are required to level up in certain skills, that help in their performance.

I thought the designer career would be similar to the stylist because of this desk and style board.
    06-03-21_8-36-19_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But they are just a picture and desk and have nothing to do with design other than visual immersion.
    They are just for show. It really is a builders pack, thinly disguised as game play, repurposed from existing systems.

This is a wonderful Stuff Pack.
    It's an underwhelming Game Pack. The focus is narrow, as it should be, but the depth is shallow as far a role playing your sim in this career.
    It's especially aggravating since other career features that would have given it more depth already exists in the game.

I still like the pack, but it misses the mark for me.
    I will get my enjoyment out of it, but I certainly overpaid for what I got.
    What would this game need for me to be happy with it?

Not a lot. That desk and style board being functional for starters, and skills determining performance.
    I would also like my sims Charisma, Photography and Interior Design skill levels being useful for drumming up new clients and getting repeat business. This would allow me to target households I would like to have as clients. I want the game to be more about the sims and less about the number of gigs performed. A career aspiration would be nice, as well one for sims wanting to improve their living spaces.
    And the ability to send your sim out on a rabbit hole client visit.

I will have to be more creative to get the game play immersion I need. My sim will run a Home Decor business (Get To Work) that provides interior design services (DHD). She will have a media arm of her business where she has a Simtube channel and does live streams from client homes (Get Famous), if that's possible. I haven't tried it yet. She is also an artist and will sell her art at her business and on Plopsy.

I believe just performing gigs will get boring, despite providing build challenges.
    It's not something I will want to do everyday for my sim. That's why I have the Home Decor business. She can take Gigs as she pleases for alternative income and I can role play her having a design studio in her business.

I actually foresaw all this from the trailer and description. I now have experience in deciphering the marketing versus the experiential reality of these packs. I knew this was basically a glorified stuff pack which in and of itself is fine except that it cheats us out of an actual game pack release. We get so few releases compared to other versions of the game not to mention so little news about upcoming developments that missing out on a bona fide game pack is sorely disappointing but I am used to disappointment by now. The problem is as they say, don't do you know what to my leg and tell me it is raining.
  • Options
    DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    I knew we wouldn’t get an aspiration but I thought we would of at least of gotten a skill... At least we have more bunk beds.

• Options
    ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 278 Member
    Shame we didn't get any home assignments for the computer/drafting desk for a performance boost. It would've made the career feel more participatory if you choose to never redecorate a house and only want the job as a rabbithole career.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Wow this explains why there are reports of there being no university course tied to the DHD career. It seems they skipped a bunch of stuff that would naturally fit into the concept with no real reason why.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I'm surprised but not surprised if that makes any sense. Really disappointed to hear there is no new skill or relevant uni degree.

@CK213 what are you selling in the business - furniture, clutter, paintings?

I do like the new furniture and modular options.
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    edited June 2021
    Shame we didn't get any home assignments for the computer/drafting desk for a performance boost. It would've made the career feel more participatory if you choose to never redecorate a house and only want the job as a rabbithole career.
    I’m not sure which level you have to be, but you do get an option to write articles on the computer. Honestly I don’t think they do anything other than to tell you how well received it was, and what the top “comment” was. I don’t think I’ve made any money from them? I’ll have to check next time to see if it does anything for reputation.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited June 2021
    I thought I heard somewhere that you were supposed to be able to build your reputation.

Also as you level up, aren’t you able to do bigger gigs?

I just got the pack, I love the modular wall pieces.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited June 2021
    I agree with the need for a new skill and aspiration. Something related to the career outside of renovating gigs. I was really looking forward to a new drafting table. That's one of my favorite objects in S3.

Now that I think about it, this should have been the Game Pack.
    cherpar wrote: »
    I'm surprised but not surprised if that makes any sense. Really disappointed to hear there is no new skill or relevant uni degree.

@CK213 what are you selling in the business - furniture, clutter, paintings?

I do like the new furniture and modular options.

I haven't started yet, because my sim is still a teen, but I plan to start small with just Decor and then add furniture as I expand her business. My current sim is from a test save.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Freckles1971Freckles1971 Posts: 507 Member
    Is anyone having problems with the wall units for the kitchen? When I try and place them on the wall above the base ones I have to check what ones go with what ones and the side parts don't allways stick together at the corners. I had taken out all my mods and CC before playing.
  • Options
    Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    I agree with the comments here and have learned the hard way not to expect anything great from this team.
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited June 2021
    Another thing that makes this pack so boring to me is having to wait a full 24 hours per gig.....thats just ridiculous. You spend more time just playing your normal game than actually playing the pack. Also, you don't even get more or even as much as Build/Buy items as most of the other Gamepacks.....so its not even worth it in that sense.. 8 of the build buy items are the same like 4 bunkbeds reworked.....same with the dresser style objects that go into the wall. I hadn't been excited for a sims pack in a very long time and this one was one of the most disappointing. Its def a glorified stuff pack.....not to mention how broken it is.

Edit to add (just saw that there are tabs for styles, but its not the most fluid and still frustrating to use)
    Oh and I posted this in the other thread, but another thing that frustrated me to no end was that you have likes and dislikes for decor "style", but none of the furniture is labeled as to what style it is. When you get a gig and a sim says "I don't like french modern whatever" I always sit there like....umm what does that even mean? If you aren't well versed in decor types and their names, there are no indicators on the objects in game as to what "style" the object is.....I hope im making sense lol. I thought that was so pointless. Give us likes and dislikes on decor types and even have it as a requirement on certain gigs and don't label the furniture so you don't know what decor style it is? Really?
    Post edited by Schantal on
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    Another thing that makes this pack so boring to me is having to wait a full 24 hours per gig.....thats just ridiculous. You spend more time just playing your normal game than actually playing the pack. Also, you don't even get more or even as much as Build/Buy items as most of the other Gamepacks.....so its not even worth it in that sense.. 8 of the build buy items are the same like 4 bunkbeds reworked.....same with the dresser style objects that go into the wall. I hadn't been excited for a sims pack in a very long time and this one was one of the most disappointing. Its def a glorified stuff pack.....not to mention how broken it is.

Oh and I posted this in the other thread, but another thing that frustrated me to no end was that you have likes and dislikes for decor "style", but none of the furniture is labeled as to what style it is. When you get a gig and a sim says "I don't like french modern whatever" I always sit there like....umm what does that even mean? If you aren't well versed in decor types and their names, there are no indicators on the objects in game as to what "style" the object is.....I hope im making sense lol. I thought that was so pointless. Give us likes and dislikes on decor types and even have it as a requirement on certain gigs and don't label the furniture so you don't know what decor style it is? Really?

not disagreeing with anything you said but i think it might be possible to filter via the furniture you want in the build filter. that assuming all the filters (like contemporary and mid century)) match the like for decor they added to the game. This is possible in build mode but i haven't played the career yet.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I agree, I'll buy it when it's on sale, but it's not worth the gamepack price to me, especially when it's a build pack and several other gamepack actually have MORE build and buy in them, plus their other content.

Even the sectionals have horrible bugs with lighting.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png