Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I like the upcoming Likes and Dislikes feature, but I'm wondering...

Comments

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    I just created a discussion where you can share ideas on what likes and dislikes should be in game.
    Check it out and add your own ideas.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/990155/likes-and-dislikes-ideas/p1?new=1
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yeah it's a great start I love that they're slowly finallyimproving sims personalities. Tho, there's still room for more improvements and I hope they'll continue expand this feature. Shameful for Lifestyles that are entitled to Snowy Escape.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    I do not want to have to painstakingly guess what each sim would like and dislike, when it's clearly the devs that know the most about the sims they created and thus should be the ones deciding these things.

hard disagree.
    I actually really hope they don't touch premades likes and dislikes
    because i don't have faith in them choosing the right likes and dislikes for them that go with their existing story
    and how community has played them until now
    (especially with older premades dang some of them are just upsettingly off already)

But yes,
    for any new premades made after this update rolls out
    they should start adding the likes and dislikes as part of their personalities
    because for those i will take their input
    as i have not made my own interpretation of the characters yet
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2021
    It's probably easier for them to let the player add likes and dislikes to the premades themselves. Some people probably have different viewpoints of what the premades like and dislike too so that makes sense for me. I agree that sims in the future could have decided likes and dislikes though, I guess all new gallery sims will have that too now.

It's a shame that we don't have favorite foods yet, Bob Pancakes doesn't actually like pancakes...
  • Options
    LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    They mentioned in the blog post that a sim was afraid and did not like gnomes, but gnomes do not fit with any of the colour, music, activity and decor categories.
    Also dislikes does not mean fears.
    Was that just to make the blog more interesting but then why not stick to something in the likes dislikes category. Or maybe a hint for a future update? What do you guys think?
  • Options
    OutlawWomanOutlawWoman Posts: 156 Member
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    Okay, so there's no likes and dislikes for food dishes? What? I'm a bit surprised at that omission.

I'm very surprised about that. Food has always been one of the first things to come to my mind when I thought about giving sims favourites, and I find it weird that they can have a favourite music genre of all things, but not a favourite dish. (I love music in real life, I just don't have my sims listen to it very often because there's no point.) Will I ever find out what would happen if I gave a vegetarian a favourite dish containing meat...?

Anyway, I'm still happy about this update, and that it comes in a free patch as well. Now my passionate painters and writers can actually be passionate about their hobby instead of treating it as just another boring chore.

Really? I keep radios everywhere in my Sims' houses because there is ABSOLUTELY a point! lol Almost anything Sims do, they can listen to music simultaneously and their fun goes through the roof!

I do usually make Music Lover Sims, so maybe that helps, but seriously, keeping stereos around, they will autonomously turn them on even when I forget. One of my favorite and most realistic aspects of the game.

I hope this favorites thing will make it so they autonomously choose Jazz, Americana, Blues, Latin, and METAL though instead of Kids Radio, Pop, and other trash.

Favorite foods? WHO CARES!? Eat whatever you have to to stay alive. Favorite music? That's the only thing KEEPING you alive, man.

You claim to love music...lol! Doesn't sound like it, brah.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I'm wondering how favorite colors would work outside of decorator career.
    Sims will dislike being surrounded by their disliked color? And what about clothes? Now sims can wear whatever and be bothered only when clothes are dirty.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Favorite foods? WHO CARES!? Eat whatever you have to to stay alive. Favorite music? That's the only thing KEEPING you alive, man.

You claim to love music...lol! Doesn't sound like it, brah.

Judging by other people's comments here and in other threads, I'm definitely not the only one who cares about favourite foods.

And I consider myself a different entity from a sim, so I can very well love music in real life and not have my sims listen to it in-game. There are actually quite a few things my sims do that I can't or won't do in real life, and vice versa.

Hope that clears up the confusion, brah.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    SimDork23 wrote: »
    I would also love for them to patch in likes & dislikes for tv channels. I kind of already give my sims favorite tv channels anyway, so it’d be nice for them to be “official”, lol.

I think this is already in the game.

I once had a sim at uni watching Diamonds Are For Sims and when he was chatting afterwards he got an option to declare his favourite tv as 'action' and then I got a pop-up to say that his fun would go up faster in future whenever he was watching the action channel or an action movie.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    I'm pretty sure that 'Storybook' is already a design style in Build Mode, as in when you filter by pack/colour/style it's one of the options already.

It's not, I loaded the game and checked before I posted.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    Do we have to make the sims complain about the activity they don’t like, talk about the ones they do like, ask other sims their likes and dislikes, etc? That should all happen autonomously. I want my sims to have actual conversations on their own: ask that guy you just met if he likes the same music you do, argue with your partner about how you hate doing the cooking, share excitement over gardening with your grandkid.

Relationships should change autonomously from these interactions - I hate that we have to go in and choose every single storyline for our sims and they do nothing on their own. Hopefully likes/dislikes can be randomly set for existing sims and randomised for new ones, so at least likes/dislikes would affect compatibility between sims now, and we won’t be able to be best friends and lovers with literally everyone we meet.

@MoonfoxNightcry Are you open to using mods? A great one for this is "Have Some Personality Please" by PolarBearSims. This mod forces Sims to choose an actual option from the interaction menus rather than just the boring generic "chat" interaction. I have seen it be very influenced by their moodlets and traits. So my mean Sims start ruining their relationships and a Sim in a flirty mood starts flirting. Definitely improves things a lot, but I agree with you completely that this is a big problem in the base game.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Really? I keep radios everywhere in my Sims' houses because there is ABSOLUTELY a point! lol Almost anything Sims do, they can listen to music simultaneously and their fun goes through the roof!

This sounds like a great idea, but how do you stop your sims from dropping what they're doing and dancing? Mine will give up everything else to go dance like dorks in front of the stereo. :lol:
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    Okay, so there's no likes and dislikes for food dishes? What? I'm a bit surprised at that omission.

I'm very surprised about that. Food has always been one of the first things to come to my mind when I thought about giving sims favourites, and I find it weird that they can have a favourite music genre of all things, but not a favourite dish. (I love music in real life, I just don't have my sims listen to it very often because there's no point.) Will I ever find out what would happen if I gave a vegetarian a favourite dish containing meat...?

Anyway, I'm still happy about this update, and that it comes in a free patch as well. Now my passionate painters and writers can actually be passionate about their hobby instead of treating it as just another boring chore.

this and actually i physically cant play my households unless i put some background music from their stereos like it just feels so... quiet so might as well have my sims have opinion on it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Honestly I wanted likes and dislikes badly but I should of known TS4 would butcher it and make it so easy. The fact they added a big fat button to edit it whenever we want is so funny. Like are we 10? We should not be able to change them so easily. Why not have something to buy in the rewards store to edit it? Or better yet only have us be able to change them with day to day activities.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I’m a little disappointed that favourite foods isn’t a thing. I hope that can be added to the system later or maybe a mod creator could add it.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited May 2021
    bizuktag wrote: »

This sounds like a great idea, but how do you stop your sims from dropping what they're doing and dancing? Mine will give up everything else to go dance like dorks in front of the stereo. :lol:

It’s funny some of my sims are always listening to radio on their own, but some don’t.

@sam123 I’m glad we have the option to change it, gives us more choices without having to go into cheats to do so, I have likes and dislikes that have changed in my life. In fact, I have had traits change over my lifetime, I wish we could change them easier, it would work well for changing townies without having to go into cheats. and when new packs come out we could give older played sims new traits more easily.. Just don’t change them once you set them if you don’t want them to change.... lol.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Do we know if colour liking is restricted to decorations only or can it be influenced by things like colour of clothing or hair?
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    sam123 wrote: »
    Honestly I wanted likes and dislikes badly but I should of known TS4 would butcher it and make it so easy. The fact they added a big fat button to edit it whenever we want is so funny. Like are we 10? We should not be able to change them so easily. Why not have something to buy in the rewards store to edit it? Or better yet only have us be able to change them with day to day activities.

I respectfully disagree on this one. :smile: I think that they should be easy to edit, as preferences can change over a lifetime and through new good or bad experiences. I do not have the same taste in decor, music or color as I did when I was a child or a teenager, and in fact my musical tastes have changed in the past two years of my adult life.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm expecting disappointment. I hope I get proved wrong.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    GirafHuntr wrote: »

I respectfully disagree on this one. :smile: I think that they should be easy to edit, as preferences can change over a lifetime and through new good or bad experiences. I do not have the same taste in decor, music or color as I did when I was a child or a teenager, and in fact my musical tastes have changed in the past two years of my adult life.

That's me too @GirafHuntr I want the convenience of changing the likes and dislikes easily, especially if some are assigned to sims I haven't gotten a chance to get to and play. I see no problem when they give the player these choices. The player doesn't have to ever push that button to change the likes and dislikes once they set them if they don't want too and that can be their challenge. Or they can accept what the game will assign the non played households.
    The idea of likes changing through gameplay choices is good to me though... although I've already turned off lifestyles because they flip on a dime and I really don't like some aspects of the excessive tension the sims have when they aren't having their lifestyle fix. So really for me that would depend on how it was done. I'd rather cut through the problems though and decide for my sims what I want them to do. I'm not sure how that makes me like a 10 year old.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member

I mean you could just....not use the big fat button to edit it. If you feel like it's too easy, just don't change them. It's only an option. :smile:
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    They defs need to update for occults. Maybe the occults in packs are covered, but I doubt it because ghosts weren't listed.

Now we just need an emotion overhaul, 2 more trait slots, more traits, retools to the rest of the existing traits, and the ability to hate (and autonomously lash out at) certain occults, and I think all my issues with Sims 4's personalities will be fixed. And they already started the trait re-work, so the other trait stuff seems very possible.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    GirafHuntr wrote: »

I agree. As a rotational player, it would take me years to set them up via game play alone. I just want to use them to define my Sims personalities as I already know them to be. And you have a good point that likes and dislikes can change. I don't decorate with as much purple as my teen self preferred.
  • Options
    OutlawWomanOutlawWoman Posts: 156 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »

Mine will kind of rock out while listening and doing another task. Like bob their heads and move their hands as if to the beat, (though it seldom actually matches the beat), but they don't often drop what they're doing to dance. They'll usually listen to the stereo through making a meal, eating, and cleaning up, for instance. Same for things like knitting, working out, programming, or working on the archaeology table. I did once see a Sim stop working at the archaeology table to air guitar to metal, but I couldn't blame her for that. A girl just has to rock sometimes. Usually it's the opposite problem, where they're finished with whatever task they were doing, but they're still sitting there listening to music and ignoring their next queues. "Yes, I know this is your jam, but get in the shower already. I can smell you from here."