Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Summery of the livestream so you don't waste your time

Comments

• Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    I thought the livestream was fine, it's nice to see the developers give us live updates. I'm not happy that we have so many bugs right now but I am not going to dismiss the fact that they do keep us updated and are doing these livestreams.

It's amazing how immersed they are with their fan-base and still manage to keep their sanity. I always wanted to be a game dev, but can't say that I'd want to be directly involved with the players, or even a social media presence in general.

Out of all gaming communities, the Sims is by far the most toxic. It's why I avoid anything to do with the Sims on Twitter.

Rockstar Games posted something on Twitter one time about a dev that passed. Something like "We are deeply saddened by the passing of our dev" or sound engineer or something I can't remember, and it was like "Omg who cares GTA 6 WHEN?" On a genuine post about somebody that worked there and passed.

That would be this community 100%, only "Omg fix the bugs!" They were doing it to genuine posts about black history month or pride month. There's places to report bugs and places to vent your frustration. Those types of posts arn't one of them.

Twitter is toxic in general.

I don't know why some of you act like it's just The Sims fans who are toxic. There are toxic people in any fandom. There are Selena Gomez fans sending death threats to Demi Lovato as we speak. All fandoms have toxic people in them.

Am I justifying their toxicity? No. But humans aren't perfect, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

So please, stop trying to act like the sims community is SO toxic, when that's really just how social media is in general. I hate to break it to you, but when people are under an anonymous accounts online, they act stupid! It happens in any fandom.

Yeah I've been around a long time, long enough to know how toxic Myspace was too. My point, which I said originally, is how amazed I am they even immerse themselves with this base as much as they do, specifically on social media, because of how trashy it is. I've never known another studio/team as transparent/immersed into it like Maxis/The Sims team is, and it's obvious why.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    Next patch will include updated hairs (including the afro), six new hair colour swatches, and about a dozen new eye presets, sounds good to me!
    I missed the eye presets...., did they show them?
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    I thought the livestream was fine, it's nice to see the developers give us live updates. I'm not happy that we have so many bugs right now but I am not going to dismiss the fact that they do keep us updated and are doing these livestreams.

It's amazing how immersed they are with their fan-base and still manage to keep their sanity. I always wanted to be a game dev, but can't say that I'd want to be directly involved with the players, or even a social media presence in general.

Out of all gaming communities, the Sims is by far the most toxic. It's why I avoid anything to do with the Sims on Twitter.

Hmm there are many game communities who are more toxc. But honestly I couldn't believe my eyes that one viewer attacked simgurupopcorn for wearing her glasses. Me was like: 🐸🐸🐸🐸?

The most exciting news from the stream for me were the hair colour update. I wanted that most. I'm also curious about the next gamepack.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    It's like announception. :D

Anyways, every stuff they shtowed us wasn't new btw, all the sneak peek stuff was the stuff we already know except the gamepack and the a new kit.

After Batuu and RoM my expectations are not to high for gamepacks but wondering the kit tho. They said "pretty" on stream so it will be about CAS or B&B i guess.

The new Kit will probably be about sectional seating. Why else wouldn't they mention it in the stream today? That's my suspicion...

The Sims 4 Sectional Sofas Kit

Why include it in a free update when we can charge players $7?!

LOL that's why SimguruPopcorn was saying it was so amazing....

That’s also why they got “lie down” option to work on beds. They’ll look just as awkward laying down on a sectional
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

It's laughable to even suggest that the sims is the most toxic gaming community.

I've never been called racial slurs etc once in this community.

Toxic if you're a sim guru sure, but this community is one of the most inclusive communities out there.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member

It's laughable to even suggest that the sims is the most toxic gaming community.

Toxic if you're a sim guru sure, but this community is one of the most inclusive communities out there.

I have to agree with you, after about 22 years of online gaming, honestly sims community is one of the nicest, and most polite.

You wan't toxic, go check out a game like APB.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    SimKeats wrote: »

I have to agree with you, after about 22 years of online gaming, honestly sims community is one of the nicest, and most polite.

You wan't toxic, go check out a game like APB.

I stopped playing any kind of multiplayer game because of how toxic the gaming community can be towards women. Only single players for me now. The sims is the only forum where I engage other players. People here can be rude, but it's only a few of them and I just put them on ignore and move on. They don't harass you like in other fandoms.

Shoot ..sims is like one of the most mellow places, honestly. And I don't think expecting bugs to be fixed instead of graphical changes is out of the question. This patch was pretty lame. And as a simmer who has bought everything, I am finding myself, today, saying I'm not patching because I finally modded a stable game, so that means I'm also not buying any more stuff for the game.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I quit online gaming because people cannot be nice to each other and I play for fun and relaxation; I'm not having some 🐸🐸🐸🐸 screaming at me for failing a mission and then trolling me afterwards. I'm on facebook but rarely comment on a public group in case some idiot takes offence.

This forum is not bad. Though surely I didn't deserve a 3-day ban for my picture of a sim and his dog? :D
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    As someone who mostly lurks, I'd say this community fine. The sims community is pretty big, so of course there will be some rotten apples. Over all, I think it's pretty positive and inclusive. People are encouraged to be whoever they want to be and play how they want to play.

I also feel there's been a big change in how the devs approach the community. Ever since the 'we hear you' message from SimGuruLindsay, they've started fixing a lot of commonly complained about issues. Diversity is being addressed with more skin tones, hair and now eyes; sim personalities are being improved with updated traits and sentiments, etc. They said it would be a continuous effort and so far they're making good on that promise. I'm also glad they mentioned simulation lag at the end of the stream. They only acknowledged it before, but it seems they finally plan to actually fix it.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    texxx78 wrote: »
    What about the calendar and the new trait slot? Any word on that? I couldn't watch the livestream...

The new slot was visible when they were showing the new colors. It had a question mark there.

Thanks @telemwill Maybe next time they explain it...
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

Rockstar Games posted something on Twitter one time about a dev that passed. Something like "We are deeply saddened by the passing of our dev" or sound engineer or something I can't remember, and it was like "Omg who cares GTA 6 WHEN?" On a genuine post about somebody that worked there and passed.

That would be this community 100%, only "Omg fix the bugs!" They were doing it to genuine posts about black history month or pride month. There's places to report bugs and places to vent your frustration. Those types of posts arn't one of them.

That is also a reflection of people's mentality nowadays. Too much individuality, too much "i want this and i want it to be exactly as i wish". You can see that happening in so many different matters...
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    On Saturday they teased an announcement on Monday. Monday they announced the stream on Tuesday (Today).
    During the stream they announced a new announcement on May 6... :|

They also "announced" that there was a new patch.. with new hair (That we have seen for the past month)
    Then they announced that there will be a new Game Pack and Kit within the next few weeks...

Don't waste your life watching the 5 min stream "full of announcements" where the announcements were of stuff we already knew and to announce more announcements after they announced the steam after teasing an announcement to the stream. Like MY GOD

Thank you. I had so much to do that day, I couldn't spend half the morning to watch it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    btw is SimGuruSalo single

asking for a friend (me)
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Like The Sims 4, team does so much awesome for it. But does anybody know why they announce things this way..?

They leak everything, then build up excitement, then announce and jokes so much odd things? Not really telling us directly what they've put into the game, but anticipating a huge secret. I've never seen any game developers do this. Averagely see developers tell nothing, or tell every step of the way. I'm not trying to bash this, I am truly curious, it always seem sort of like they talk to toddlers? I'm sorry that is so derogatory, I've wondered long time.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Actually, why was the patch a surprise? Why didn't they make a post last week, saying "Head's up, we're getting a patch next Tuesday. You're getting two new hairs and some bug fixes."

It would have let people prepare their games ahead of time, keep us informed and make the month-long news drought feel less dry.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Thanks for the summary... It sounds like it wasn't too eventful. I do hate when they do that. Like when they announce that there is going to be an announcement,lol.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options

That's why players need more tools to lessen the toxicity such as a mute feature, etc. I've never been on Twitter. But I can imagine if its worse than this forum.
  • Options
    So I guess that's your announcement about the announcement, then.....

guess so, lol :D
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I so appreciate the Simsguru wanting to communicate with us regularly & I also appreciate that they are now paying attention to what we all players would love in the Sims 4. Furthermore, that they plan on eventually making it possible for all types of players from Family, Occult, Builders & World Destruction.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2021
    Daravi wrote: »

Hmm there are many game communities who are more toxc. But honestly I couldn't believe my eyes that one viewer attacked simgurupopcorn for wearing her glasses. Me was like: ❤️❤️❤️❤️?

The most exciting news from the stream for me were the hair colour update. I wanted that most. I'm also curious about the next gamepack.
    That is really old school bullying to tease someone about their glasses like from the 1950s so doubt it was a kid doing it and if it was and they are doing that, can always report them for not being on Twitch without a parent. There are unsupervised rules on that site for anyone under 18 for a reason. Anyone who has been out in public in the last 20 years knows wearing glasses is cool now even why a lot of younger people wear fake ones too. SimGuruPopcorn is a sweetheart. I remember commenting on her page about her food username when she was still working for the Sims Mobile.

These are the glasses I wear and I love them. I didn't blink enough while playing Zelda Twilight Princess, so now I wear glasses because of gaming.
    new-soul-themed-blue-light-blocking-glasses-from-prive-revaux-arrive-on-shopdisney-8.jpeg

These aren't the old lady glasses from the 1950s, so fashion with glasses has come a long way.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited April 2021
    SamDenny wrote: »

In my personal opinion I also think it's because people playing this game are a bit more younger and are maybe not used to talk to people in general... (game is rated t for teen), kids can be very rude on the internet, communities consisting of older people tends to be a bit nicer in my experience... there are exceptions of course.

I really wish this was true for online gaming.. some of the nastiest people I've had the displeasure of talking/playing with are in my age group..

That's sad to hear... when I was playing World of Warcraft...which was a long time ago, the guilds that I was playing with had age restrictions, they didn't want kids because kids just caused trouble and drama in the guilds. But it was also probably because older people had more time to play as well.

I like the sims community but I do feel that it's often a mix of very positive people and very negative people...the people in the middle are often not seen. But maybe that's the case with all communities. People that are okay with everything don't tend to comment on things...they just play the game.

I also often feel that people maybe take things a bit too...personal? They compare the sims to their own lives and problems and if they feel sad, then they share it with everyone... some game changers have done that recently on twitter which I find a bit weird.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Certain people need to grow up & stop bullying other people. There needs to be a no tolerance to bullying on the forum like what they had for my daughter's schools had.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

That's why players need more tools to lessen the toxicity such as a mute feature, etc. I've never been on Twitter. But I can imagine if its worse than this forum.

Twitter have a very useful tool called shadowban, you can ban someone and that person doesn't know that they are banned, so they can keep posting toxic comments and you will never see them. Or you can mute them, kinda like how it works here on the forum.

On twitch, streamers have moderators which remove nasty comments and give people bans, some people have subscriber only mode and bots which automatically removes nasty words and people typing in all caps. But it's a lot of work for just one stream every month like they tend to do.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member

Twitter have a very useful tool called shadowban, you can ban someone and that person doesn't know that they are banned, so they can keep posting toxic comments and you will never see them. Or you can mute them, kinda like how it works here on the forum.

The comments still exist even though you have put them on ignore. How does that solve the issue of Sims users and their toxicity? Unless you actually do something about it, the toxicity won't stop and putting them on ignore will just mean one less good user who can combat the toxicity at a later date. I see the ignore feature itself as a sign of toxicity anyway.

but that's your choice in the end to not be helpful (not specifically to you but in general to anyone) in giving other good users the chance to push all that toxicity out of the community. it works both ways no matter how you play it. Twitter is just sweeping it under the carpet instead of actually doing something about it, and this just contributes to that. Surely we can do a lot better than contributing from one form of toxicity to another.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Hoverael wrote: »

The comments still exist even though you have put them on ignore. How does that solve the issue of Sims users and their toxicity? Unless you actually do something about it, the toxicity won't stop and putting them on ignore will just mean one less good user who can combat the toxicity at a later date. I see the ignore feature itself as a sign of toxicity anyway.

but that's your choice in the end to not be helpful (not specifically to you but in general to anyone) in giving other good users the chance to push all that toxicity out of the community. it works both ways no matter how you play it. Twitter is just sweeping it under the carpet instead of actually doing something about it, and this just contributes to that. Surely we can do a lot better than contributing from one form of toxicity to another.

It's helpful against trolls and people that just want to went, they get to went and they believe that the person on the other end of the line is listening. A lot of people that post toxic comments are not expecting a response. Twitter also have the like system which kinda works I guess... toxic comments don't get likes and gets pushed down in the list, and people that post really nasty things will be automatically censored by bots.

We can do better, I agree... it's difficult though. My advices was mostly for the people that are super negative or just want to troll. When it comes to creating a positive community I think the importance is to focus on the positive and be constructive and have a community landscape where people can talk to each other.