Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I heard that the latest patch sped up eating, and I'm not happy about that. I never had a problem with the time it took sims to eat. I liked playing large families and I need enough time for them to all sit down at the table and eat together. I also liked taking screenshots while my sims were all eating together. I guess this will be another reason for me to not come back to the sims 4.

It wasn't the speed of their eating that bothered me, but the fact that they'd take a bite, pause, look around with a stupid grin on their face, look down at their food, smell it, enjoy the smell, then take another bite only to then repeat the process was infuriating. It was especially maddening when trying to manage a large household, like two adults and three children who all need to be out the door by 8 am. So all of them taking an eternity to eat breakfast (literally a whole sim hour in some cases) because they'd cycle through the "eating" idle animation sometimes twice before taking another bite of food, was enough to make me want to pull my hair out on some days. Never mind the whole eating animation while talking, like sure it's realistic to get caught up in conversation and forget to eat, but it's super annoying and slows down the flow of the game because I have to force my sims to stop talking and eat.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Shinzen wrote: »
    I'm part of a minority group, but I don't really understand the rationale behind the new painting updates.

In one of the photo sets (one big item with multiple frames, meant to be like a family collection of portraits) there's an African cultural photo (not sure what specific part), what looks like middle-south Asian culture, then what looks like polynesian, then korean all together, with one European scenery photo.

I'm wondering why they did this? Like, instead of putting separate cultures together (like multiple photos of Korean culture together, and etc) why did they just jam them all together? It feels like a really bad attempt at diversity, and would look weird in my house. Like, if I'm playing a Korean family, why would they also have photos of people from other dressed cultures of random strangers up on their wall?

While I also love the representation for LGBT people such as myself, I can't see myself ever having a random portrait of a couple on my wall unless somehow, by pure fate, my family looks like their descendants or something. It just feels too modern, like the whole point of the historical photos was to be like... older photos. The photo that they recolored was literally of an old King and Queen and now there's gay couples in modern suits. So, they won't give us proper LGBT romantic orientation functionality (like sexual preferences, so my gay sims can stop flirting with random women) but they... recolor random historical portraits?

I was thinking the same honestly. The only reason I use the couple photos(the original) is if I making a museum because they look historical but I would never use it for personal builds.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm part of a minority group, but I don't really understand the rationale behind the new painting updates.

In one of the photo sets (one big item with multiple frames, meant to be like a family collection of portraits) there's an African cultural photo (not sure what specific part), what looks like middle-south Asian culture, then what looks like polynesian, then korean all together, with one European scenery photo.

I'm wondering why they did this? Like, instead of putting separate cultures together (like multiple photos of Korean culture together, and etc) why did they just jam them all together? It feels like a really bad attempt at diversity, and would look weird in my house. Like, if I'm playing a Korean family, why would they also have photos of people from other dressed cultures of random strangers up on their wall?

While I also love the representation for LGBT people such as myself, I can't see myself ever having a random portrait of a couple on my wall unless somehow, by pure fate, my family looks like their descendants or something. It just feels too modern, like the whole point of the historical photos was to be like... older photos. The photo that they recolored was literally of an old King and Queen and now there's gay couples in modern suits. So, they won't give us proper LGBT romantic orientation functionality (like sexual preferences, so my gay sims can stop flirting with random women) but they... recolor random historical portraits?

Maybe I can help to explain it a little bit why they did these changes. During the all the spam of 'fix the skintones' and blaming all maxismembers as racists, someone made here a thread about how most of these, now changed, pictures and older photos have lack on represention of minority groups.

How I feel personally about it, to make it short, I don't care about those changes and if it makes some players happy, then it has reached it goals.

• Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Rosysimmer wrote: »
    I don't like people that are just like 'kits are microtransaction wah wah wah microtransactions with a cute name' because they are NOT microtransactions, they are optional packs that you quite literally do not have to buy. And if you don't like them, don't buy them and mind your own business. Some people (myself included) like the packs, and its kind of annoying to hear 'microtransactions with a cute name' being shoved down my throat every time I look to spread Kit Positivity.

Prove to me that they are not microtransactions.

Microtransactions are little buyable things you basically have to get in game that help you succeed in a game. A sims 4 pack is a 100% optional buyable thing that only enhances your gaming experience (And even half the packs don't do that). It does NOT mean it helps you succeed in your game, because you can't succeed or lose in the Sims 4, it's an endless game with no actual goals. And if the Kits were microtransactions 'WiTh A cUtE nAmE' then that means every other pack is that same thing. But no, only kits are microtransactions with a cute name to you.
    The website Microtransaction.zone states this: The Sims 4 has no microtransactions or loot boxes; if the player wants to (for example) give their Sims unlimited money, they can simply do so through the in-game cheat command window.

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't mind that we can only fit smaller items under the loft beds. I think they look better without every inch of the space underneath filled.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I don't mind that we can only fit smaller items under the loft beds. I think they look better without every inch of the space underneath filled.

I don't mind either!
  • Options
    Daravi wrote: »

Maybe I can help to explain it a little bit why they did these changes. During the all the spam of 'fix the skintones' and blaming all maxismembers as racists, someone made here a thread about how most of these, now changed, pictures and older photos have lack on represention of minority groups.

How I feel personally about it, to make it short, I don't care about those changes and if it makes some players happy, then it has reached it goals.

Sad for me to hear that all maxis staff were labelled as racist.

Though, there's a distinction to my opinion, I think. The new poster swatches like the soccer girl, the chef, the wizard, etc being recoloured to be more diverse was absolutely a good idea but recolouring random historical paintings to include two random lgbt poc couples feels like pandering, not inclusivity. In what scenario would a sim household have a painting of two random (modern) people hanging up on the wall? The previous paintings were very used in museums and historical builds, labelled as a painting and thus treated as artwork.

Not to mention the mishmash of random cultures in one painting because DiVeRsItY just feels weird. Like it's EA saying "hey look, we know black people exist! And korean people, too! Oh, and look, Mongolia!! All in one!!"

Again, this is just my own unpopular opinion and I'm sure that other people in minority groups can feel different about this than I do, lol. I am glad that they're doing the skintone update and also updating the POC hairstyle textures.

I think that is the hardest part about being inclusive, is that in some ways it feels appropriate, long overdue and welcomed, while in others it feels too extreme, bordering on pandering. The obvious pandering will never cease to make my eyes roll, especially in cases of historical retconning. Historical fiction is all well and good, but when you start changing actual historical events, such as a retelling of irl events and bend over backwards to make it fit a modern narrative or modern think/sensibilities is when you lose me. Simply because it's no longer accurate to what really happened, as accurate as a one-sided narrative can be anyway (depending on how far back it was and how well documented it was etc), and feels like you're erasing history just because it's perceived as "bad".

I do think it was a pity that the staff was labelled as racists when they probably had more things to worry about than a skin tone update, what with them working on packs and other things, I do think the skin tones needed to be updated, I'm not denying that. But to call them outright racist just because it wasn't at the top of their priority list is just a huge stretch of the imagination if you ask me.
    I'm glad they're fixing the hair textures next, they have been needed since release.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options

Same! I mean it makes sense, there's not a lot of space under there and it's almost exactly how it worked in TS3. You could only fit a certain number of objects under there, so I don't see why people are complaining about there being "limited space".
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited March 2021
    Well, the latest patch finally brought in bunk beds and some improved crafted hairstyles for our sims along with diverse artwork.

I'm glad for the latter because as a builder, I was always so annoyed with the limited kinds of sims depicted in the Paintings and Posters section. Never could figure out why they were mostly of one race or look. I hope they add another option for the big movie star art painting next. As that seems limited in its diversity too and I usually end up not using it because of it's lack of an actress of color depicted so it doesn't flow for my building theme. Maybe an image reminiscent of Dorothy Dandridge for the vintage glamourous art would be a great addition to that option in category.

As far as the patch goes, it seems to have also made the game a little more buggy, though I haven't played enough to know if anything is particularly worse. At least not yet, lol.

Either way, I think the latest additions with the patch and the anniversary items designed by Youtubers along with other creators were really cool with the only exception being the dining table and chair set which was very boring and uninspired. Especially considering it's alien backstory, lol.

Altogether, the most impressive of those anniversary items was the addition of more CAS noses, makeup, and other furniture pieces. In fact, these recent additions and finally some effort to improve diversity are the most positive changes I've seen in a long time with Sims 4. Hopefully, they will get better at improving on the traits and whims next. Because I didn't notice any difference with this patch as described by the Guru's announcement. If anyone else did, please share.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    As a queer person I prefer pandering to erasure. At least with pandering, someone is trying. And since it's a game, I can use those objects in fun and interesting ways.

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I don't care about what was or wasn't in Sims 3.

Because I didn't play Sims 3. Ever.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member
    I don't want a Sims 5 because ending on a sour note is what a lot EA needs to get its act together and develop better games. Until they do, I'm going to enjoy my time with the superior Sims 3. B)
  • Options
    Chris_McSimsChris_McSims Posts: 120 Member
    And what probably will happen with The Sims 5. Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I haven't used ladders. Or bunkbeds.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited April 2021
    "The sims 4 sucks eggs, the sims 3 is perfect in any w-" *GUNSHOT*
    Those types of people make me feel like I'm not normal for liking to play Sims 4 sometimes

I had this feeling a while back and I went and played the Sims 3 for a while to see what I was missing since I could never play it when it was the current game and it is far from a perfect game in my opinion.

The gameplay is lovely, the graphics are also lovely when turned on max and with some tweaking in the graphics files. The open world is lovely and over all it has some very nice features and details in it that I wish were in the Sims 4 but... It still suffers from performance issues even on today’s computers and it still has lots of bugs and glitches. The routing is awful. My sims all got stuck in a doorway during a party.

After a few weeks I missed the Sims 4 and I came back to it. I tend to block or mute the overly negative people now. I have no issue with people loving the Sims 3 but the negative players that just want to compare it to the Sims 4 all the time and complain about all the things that the Sims 4 doesn’t have. I don’t need that negativity. Just let us enjoy the game.

This happened to me. Exactly the same, a couple of years ago. I loved 3 at it's time and i still love it but performance was bad and still is. Besides severe performance issues there are also annoying bugs and bad decisions (memory system, celebrity system...), like in 4... so when people ask to have everything that 3 had and that it was perfect i just think to myself, please no, i want to be able to play the game :lol: and no, it wasn't perfect.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited April 2021

While I also love the representation for LGBT people such as myself, I can't see myself ever having a random portrait of a couple on my wall unless somehow, by pure fate, my family looks like their descendants or something. It just feels too modern, like the whole point of the historical photos was to be like... older photos. The photo that they recolored was literally of an old King and Queen and now there's gay couples in modern suits.

I was thinking the same, the new versions make no sense. The original was a historic painting meant for museums and such and the new ones are just random wedding photos. Why would I want other sims' wedding photos in my sims home? If you could customise it to be your own sims then fair enough but as it is I don't get it.

Also I don't get the modern art style, they could've atleast made the new ones historic paintings as well, then it would've made more sense but just random modern images make no sense. And where's the diversity? What if someone wanted a straight indian wedding photo? Or any other couple combination? If you're gonna add something about diversity and representation at least add a good variety of options so people can actually represent themselves..
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited April 2021
    "The sims 4 sucks eggs, the sims 3 is perfect in any w-" *GUNSHOT*
    Those types of people make me feel like I'm not normal for liking to play Sims 4 sometimes

I had this feeling a while back and I went and played the Sims 3 for a while to see what I was missing since I could never play it when it was the current game and it is far from a perfect game in my opinion.

The gameplay is lovely, the graphics are also lovely when turned on max and with some tweaking in the graphics files. The open world is lovely and over all it has some very nice features and details in it that I wish were in the Sims 4 but... It still suffers from performance issues even on today’s computers and it still has lots of bugs and glitches. The routing is awful. My sims all got stuck in a doorway during a party.

After a few weeks I missed the Sims 4 and I came back to it. I tend to block or mute the overly negative people now. I have no issue with people loving the Sims 3 but the negative players that just want to compare it to the Sims 4 all the time and complain about all the things that the Sims 4 doesn’t have. I don’t need that negativity. Just let us enjoy the game.

I actually uninstalled the Sims 3 entirely, despite (now) having a computer capable of running it well. And even then it was still laggy, to the point that it just wasn't fun playing it.

The Sims 3 had the potential to be the absolute best of the franchise due to the ground-breaking new features it introdued (open world, create-a-style, colour wheel etc), but fell short due to how unstable/buggy it is - and since EA decided to just abandon it instead of fixing its issues, it's forever broken and virtually unplayable for many.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I don't understand why there only has to be LGBT Couples but not Straight Couples of mixed race. It seems to me that the LGBT are the majority now a days & Straights are the minority. I would love to see Straight Couple Portraits of a mixed race for a change. Fair is fair.
  • Options
    myobunnimyobunni Posts: 3 New Member
    ROM was hyped up for nothing?? like it isn't even fun and I got it for no reason?? I never use ROM in my game- like I've only used the witch thing once or twice, and the world was so tiny and the builds were ugly.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    edited April 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I don't understand why there only has to be LGBT Couples but not Straight Couples of mixed race. It seems to me that the LGBT are the majority now a days & Straights are the minority. I would love to see Straight Couple Portraits of a mixed race for a change. Fair is fair.

The Base Game Spencer-Kim-Lewis would like to speak with you. And if you want something newer, we have the Akiyamas from Snowy Escape. Island Living also has our lesbian mixed race duo with the Ngata family.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I dont like the Sims team making political statements. They should stay neutral and not isolate anyone.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,926 Member
    I dont like the Sims team making political statements. They should stay neutral and not isolate anyone.

And HOW do you think they can do that? Without any demands.. just curious as imo they cant.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options

And HOW do you think they can do that? Without any demands.. just curious as imo they cant.

By not taking a stance, either way, they keep their political opinions private while toe-ing the company nurtarlity line by not leaning either way. Basically, how Disney ran its ship for decades, they were supposed to be seen as a pillar unaffected by modern/day-to-day politics. Not so much now obviously, while they still attempt to maintain their neutrality, they have a clear left lean.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top