May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Romance, Faries, Veronaville?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited February 2021
    @CelSims it really depends. you grew up with english tales of faeries but it really depends on cultures. it's not very exact to say that faeries are x or y thing not only cuz they're depicted differently around the world, but also cuz they're mythological creatures lol
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    bella_goth wrote: »
    @CelSims it really depends. you grew up with english tales of faeries but it really depends on cultures. it's not very exact to say that faeries are x or y thing not only cuz they're depicted differently around the world, but also cuz they're mythological creatures lol

I haven't been able to find a culture which represents faeries as benign. Sure, there's some where they will grant boons or good harvests - provided you bribe/pay them. They seem to universally have been used to represent forces we can't control, or as expressions of our own fears.
    Of course they're mythological. But saying they can be whatever we want isn't quite accurate. You can't introduce a zombie but it actually act and look like what every one would think of as a vampire, for example. I'm all for people having their modernized version of benign winged little people, so long as we can get some representation for the other kind too!

• Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »
    isaiahzay wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »
    I would want the actual fae of legends that I grew up with, not this winged glittery midget princess rubbish spewed by Disney and their ilk. So no, as the only thing they'd have in relation to romance would be stealing husbands or wives away and substituting babies with a changeling.

Oh I agree on that. The Faries depicted in the original tales of the Arabian nights (the kind that the author of Sherlock Holmes grew obsessed with) are much more interesting, I mean, they were very similar to Jinn in regards to their powers and antics. Except that one Peri Banu (I think that was the original translated name) she fell in love with the human after he struck her portal with an arrow. And even the Shakespearian fairies of midsummer nights dream came from India. But let's face it, sims is always cliche so I figured the Disney style Faries would be more likely.

I'm not Arabic, I grew up with the english stories of faeries that live in the dell and do untold harm unless you appease them with gifts every night. Not to mention the nasty business of convincing yourself that your disfigured in some way baby must be a changeling and tossing it in to a fire to make the faeries give the real one back....

That was the other one I wanted to reference. The one where the woman didn't want to harm the child in case it wasn't a Changeling, so she starts miming brewing beer in eggshells, which confuses the Changeling and tricks it into talking and revealing itself. I just couldn't remember the name of it.

As a child who loved Disney movies, I always thought as these faeries as the real ones and the Disney ones as made up lol.
  • Options
    @CelSims hollywood culture? lol on a serious note, i'm not a faeries expert but all i know is that if i mention faeries to most ppl, they will think about lovely & sometimes prankster creatures. i'm on your band though about the faeries depiction on ts4 i think the same, glitter sparkly faeries aren't bad but give some love to darker faeries too! (also i think the glitter & purple aura from the Paranormal pack could be a hint for faeries, if you get close you can also hear bells, and the specter never appears but it's a playful one!)

regarding Disney, 1953 Tinkerbell wasn't a good faery. she was jealous & homicidal (she wanted to kill Wendy)

like, in the end people will think what they want despite folklore. in the zombies part people can imagine what they look like cuz zombies are corpses. vampires, faeries, werewolves, everything else are mythical creatures.
  • Options
    @CelSims hollywood culture? lol on a serious note, i'm not a faeries expert but all i know is that if i mention faeries to most ppl, they will think about lovely & sometimes prankster creatures. i'm on your band though about the faeries depiction on ts4 i think the same, glitter sparkly faeries aren't bad but give some love to darker faeries too! (also i think the glitter & purple aura from the Paranormal pack could be a hint for faeries, if you get close you can also hear bells, and the specter never appears but it's a playful one!)

regarding Disney, 1953 Tinkerbell wasn't a good faery. she was jealous & homicidal (she wanted to kill Wendy)

like, in the end people will think what they want despite folklore. in the zombies part people can imagine what they look like cuz zombies are corpses. vampires, faeries, werewolves, everything else are mythical creatures.

I'll take whatever we can get Occult wise, even if I do grump about accuracy. The little bit of TS3 I played was mostly with a faerie. I did think the little house they had was cute, along with riding the toy train set :)
  • Options
    ReedfishReedfish Posts: 222 Member

Maleficient was also an evil fairy in Sleeping Beauty. I guess they just don't make films about the evil fairies, lol.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Reedfish wrote: »

Maleficient was also an evil fairy in Sleeping Beauty. I guess they just don't make films about the evil fairies, lol.
    Yeah, when she got her own movies she wasnt even evil anymore 😂 That is the Disney way, it seems like. I dont harp on it too much since some people like how she was portrayed in those movies, but i have to agree with some here that i prefer the darker portrayal of fairies myself, as it is more interesting. It seems to be gaining popularity in recent fantasy novels too!

• Options
    DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    if we keep this up, it is going to be moved to the off topic section.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    What do fairies have to do with romance? or is this a question I do not want to have answered...

Midsummers nights dream is the only link I can make between the two. And I guess Cupid could be a fairy...

Either way, I think romance and fairies fit well, actually. But that’s just me.

-T
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    To7m wrote: »
    What do fairies have to do with romance? or is this a question I do not want to have answered...

And I guess Cupid could be a fairy...

but Cupid is a god lol
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,359 Member
    I guess the reason I don't see the fit between Faeries and Romance is because I'd expect a pack expanding on Romantic gameplay to have things like slow dancing, some new dating interactions, some new woohoo options, holding hands while walking... basically, things that aren't specifically Faerie like, but something I'd expect to be viable for any sim in a romantic relationship.

It's already been discussed that Love Potions/love spells are not romantic, despite what some romantic comedies might want people to think (and even then, I believe most of them come to the conclusion that they're more trouble than they're worth) and anything else I can think of that associated "Fairy" with Romance basically has them playing matchmaker and facilitating the couple getting together, which you certainly don't need fairy powers to do. And if a Fairy is part of the couple... again, not seeing them do anything specifically romantic that requires them to be a fairy.

As I said, I'm not saying they can't go together, I just don't see it as a natural, easy transition from "Pretty sims with insect wings and nature or prank powers" to Romantic interactions.

But then, Romance to me is more about doing things together that both parties enjoy, and being sweet and considerate to your partner's wants and needs. Grand gestures and magical displays aren't necessarily part of that. (I really sided with Amalthea in The Last Unicorn when she rejected all of Lir's Heroic attempts to get her attention.)
  • Options
    fae_brassfae_brass Posts: 81 Member
    If you think the last pack had a New Orleans vibe and there are many romanced based descriptions for the objects. This could mean at least french culture influence for a pack. Also, SimGuru Miriam has this post from Feb 3rd
    https://twitter.com/SimGuruMiriam/status/1356786341636374529
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

but Cupid is a god lol

I’m talking about the cherub one with the wings lol

—T
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,484 Member
    fae_brass wrote: »
    If you think the last pack had a New Orleans vibe and there are many romanced based descriptions for the objects. This could mean at least french culture influence for a pack. Also, SimGuru Miriam has this post from Feb 3rd

I think she's just confirming that Guidry is bisexual. Doesn't mean we're getting a romance pack. That being said, keep your sims' spouses away from Guidry, he gets them to flirt and before you know it you're having ghost problems in more ways than one.
  • Options
    fae_brassfae_brass Posts: 81 Member
    > @crocobaura said:
    > I think she's just confirming that Guidry is bisexual. Doesn't mean we're getting a romance pack. That being said, keep your sims' spouses away from Guidry, he gets them to flirt and before you know it you're having ghost problems in more ways than one.

Aw 🐸🐸🐸🐸! Thought I was onto something. I haven't used the paranormal pack with a couple but Guidry is in a house with an unflirty sim so things might get awkward.....
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,359 Member

but Cupid is a god lol

I’m talking about the cherub one with the wings lol

—T

And that's how he's usually depicted, as he got his start as a matchmaker very young. (Not going to get into how "Cherub" is a shortened form of "Cherubim" which is an order of angels, as the only similarity between the two is they both have wings.)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,167 Member
    I would so love a Fairy Godmother, Cupid, Paris World & a whole new Romantic Interactions in a Pack.
  • Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    edited February 2021
    Now THAT is a pack I could get behind. Romance by itself is pretty much in every pack, but if we were to do a special pack dedicated to romance, it needs something else for spice, otherwise it may end up being a flop. I really like how they've tied islands with mermaids in the past. EA just needs to take the time to make a proper pack, instead of rushing everything. Island Living was good, though it did ruin mermaids for me. Vampires was interesting enough, though the neighbourhood was too small. I also wish EA would add more diverse pre-built options in game, instead of making me feel like I have to source everything off the gallery. Half the time, I don't know what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,480 Member
    edited February 2021
    Deleted.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,480 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    fae_brass wrote: »

I think she's just confirming that Guidry is bisexual. Doesn't mean we're getting a romance pack. That being said, keep your sims' spouses away from Guidry, he gets them to flirt and before you know it you're having ghost problems in more ways than one.

I remember SimGuruNinja posting a tweet with a romance icon late last year before Snowy Escape came out.