Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why not breastfeed toddlers?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    MelanieScribblesMelanieScribbles Posts: 161 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Monet11 wrote: »
    If they did it, and I am not saying they should, it would be a big ol' censor blob that covers mom and baby. That is the only way it gets in a T for teen game. If you took off the censor, it would be zero animation. Why make animation when it won't be shown? So all they would be doing is adding a menu choice and a censor blob. I personally have no need for that in my game.
    I am neutral about the whole thing, but this is probably true. Better they spend time on other animations - I wish!

That said, it would have been a handy way to quickly feed a toddler. Now, I'll just put the plate on a counter and let the kid decide when he's hungry. Works better than to struggle with that darn chair.

Isn't it handier to just leave food out for the toddler to grab whenever he's hungry? He can feed himself even when an adult is not present.

I legit do that with putting a plate of food on a high chair in the toddler's bedroom, and then cancelling the interaction so the Sim puts the food down for the toddler to grab if needed.

The toddler is usually asleep when that hunger need goes down, and the sleep need is not yet high enough for me to wake them up and go through that infamous high chair struggle. And of course: I didn't mind the in-game time, absent-mindedly check that adult Sim's work preformance while I have them selected anyways, and it turns out that they have to head to work in 65 seconds when I paused the game to queue actions up. That's not even near enough time for that little 'pick up put down' thing they tend to before the toddler is in that infernal high chair.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,417 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Monet11 wrote: »
    If they did it, and I am not saying they should, it would be a big ol' censor blob that covers mom and baby. That is the only way it gets in a T for teen game. If you took off the censor, it would be zero animation. Why make animation when it won't be shown? So all they would be doing is adding a menu choice and a censor blob. I personally have no need for that in my game.
    I am neutral about the whole thing, but this is probably true. Better they spend time on other animations - I wish!

That said, it would have been a handy way to quickly feed a toddler. Now, I'll just put the plate on a counter and let the kid decide when he's hungry. Works better than to struggle with that darn chair.

Isn't it handier to just leave food out for the toddler to grab whenever he's hungry? He can feed himself even when an adult is not present.

I legit do that with putting a plate of food on a high chair in the toddler's bedroom, and then cancelling the interaction so the Sim puts the food down for the toddler to grab if needed.

The toddler is usually asleep when that hunger need goes down, and the sleep need is not yet high enough for me to wake them up and go through that infamous high chair struggle. And of course: I didn't mind the in-game time, absent-mindedly check that adult Sim's work preformance while I have them selected anyways, and it turns out that they have to head to work in 65 seconds when I paused the game to queue actions up. That's not even near enough time for that little 'pick up put down' thing they tend to before the toddler is in that infernal high chair.

I just put a family size serving plate of food on a table in the living room and every hungry sim is free to reach for a serving, including toddlers. I banished the toddler chair because one sim was trying to get the toddler in the chair and the other sim autonomously fed peas to the poor toddler. Every single meal consisted of peas.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited February 2021
    @GalacticGal breastfeeding beyond 12 months is also for immunity purposes. My own niece is almost 5 years old and sharing her younger brother's frozen breastmilk stash. It is because her doctor recommended it to help keep her immunity stronger through cancer treatments. The WHO (World Health Organization) actually recommends breastfeeding until at MINIMUM age 2 years. They do encourage longer period, but the progressive Western Civilization doesn't really like to follow the science.

As for having it in-game, I have used the available mod for realism purposes for my decades save. It is not perfect, but works okay. I do wish they gave that option for toddlers, as they were progressive in giving that option for baby (never had it in previous sims titles). Bottle feeding was not pushed as a popular alternative until around the 1950's IRL (I love history). For my game, I use as realistic I as possible can, at least for that save file.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,982 Member
    um... i say no thanks

even if considering reality i think the bottles do just fine

it isnt specified what milk they contain

and it spares poor mommy her bongadonks from the teeth of horror
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    This is an outright flame war and a half just waiting to happen. I'm not a mother or in any way equipped to discuss real-life breastfeeding, so I'm just going to push the politicized matter about this aside for a minute and talk pure gameplay here.

I think breastfeeding a toddler would end up being a glitchy mess that would take too long, and that's why I would probably not want to see it happen. My Sims already do this little 'pick up put down' dance when it comes to putting a toddler in a high chair, and the parent's action queues tend to legit fight over who gets to put that darned toddles in that infernal high chair in the first place. Or worse I FINALLY get a Sim to put the toddler in that high chair after distracting the offending spouse and filling that other Sim's ENTIRE action queue up by hand... And then the other parent walks into the room and puts the toddler back on the ground before the first Sim can even put down food on it. I frankly don't even want to picture that AI on breastfeeding. Also, I don't want even want to know what that AI is going to do to a couple with 2 female Sims who just adopted a toddler. I'm already lowkey scared to have my lesbian Sims adopt a baby when it comes to that, so if they want to have kids? I tend to just go to 'play with genetics' in CAS and give them a toddler looking like both of them. Sixam technology or something, I dunno. PLEASE don't make me have to age those poor kids up to children by default!

Not to mention how confusing it's going to be with the current gender options in CAS. If I have a male Sim with a feminine frame where I edited their body type to look as manly as possible, can he breastfeed? Are the devs even willing to go there as well? I think it would require an extra gender option in CAS for sure, which might bring some bugs with it that are going to need squashing in a patch. Also, what @CAPTAIN_NXR7 's comment said about other Sims' reactions to public breastfeeding. And in that same vein, yet again: the hot mess that is the AI. I think that Maxis isn't willing to take on THIS many politicized subjects at once.

Also, I agree with @CAPTAIN_NXR7 here: can we get more parent-toddler interactions indeed? Teaching them how to swim sounds adorable, as do the hand clapping games. They could both even help build the Movement skill! I need that d'aww factor in my gameplay for sure. I'm so sick of the only few interactions between my Sim toddler and their parents is either flash cards, nesting blocks, or showing off a toy. Not sure about rolling down the hill, but maybe some specific interactions with certain items from the Seasons pack? Like, something with the sprinklers in summer, and teaching the toddler how to build snowmen in winter. Also, a specific interaction for the parent to introduce the toddler to their grandparents: the toddler seeing those as 'strangers' and getting scared of them makes zero sense to me. It's just your grandmother, Victor! :s I honestly wish that toddlers had more functionality in family gameplay. With how they are now, I just end up impatiently trying to rush with maxing their skills before aging them up, because I get bored with that life stage so fast.

@MelanieScribbles i never thought of it that way, thats a really good point.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,409 Member
    Who needs an interaction in the game that is censored from head to toe? If they don't show it we don't need it (same with the pathetic woohoo).
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited February 2021
    There are many issues with sims 4 this is not one of them. Sorry op but without going into too much in my country we have this saying of “breast is best” but I have seen a lot of friends shamed for bottle feeding for reasons I will not go into. It’s a very sensitive subject and I do see the pros for breastfeeding I’ve seen the critical side too. For babies in the game I like the option of both I can see the argument for toddlers but done see it as an issue when there are so many other issues in the game that need fixing.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    There are many issues with sims 4 this is not one of them. Sorry op but without going into too much in my country we have this saying of “breast is best” but I have seen a lot of friends shamed for bottle feeding for reasons I will not go into. It’s a very sensitive subject and I do see the pros for breastfeeding I’ve seen the critical side too. For babies in the game I like the option of both I can see the argument for toddlers but done see it as an issue when there are so many other issues in the game that need fixing.

That's so sad. :( I was bottle-fed, so I'm a bit vocal on it being equal to breastfeeding.
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 439 Member
    Bitty.