Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are there no builders that also thoroughly play in their creations?

Comments

• Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited January 2021
    (yes, not a 100% honest question BUT)

I find that many of the famous builders (not going to name names here! Please!) that I used to like are now basically only building, which means they make lots that look great and functions horribly. Stair bug aside (when a loft can't be accessed because the stairs have stopped working after a patch) almost all non-Maxis community lots are too crowded, too narrow even when MOO isn't breaking things.

This is especially noticeable on Restaurants (I have already been ranting about those, before) but there is a reason why no Maxis builds have a more narrow space than two squares around a table, a bar, or a ping pong table or. Or at least two different ways to pass around a table.

I have found myself (who is not a builder and stink at it) have to always go into build mode on community lots to clean up: Delete at least two tables in bars an restaurants to allow flow of NPC / Townies, remove double appliances like a jukebox AND a wall mounted loudspeaker in the same room? Why?)

Sorry, I had to rant a bit. But is there anyone but James who seem to genuinely use everything he or she uploads? All his things are not to my liking, but at least they always, always, work.

I rarely post or get anything from the gallery. Please don't take offence with what I am going to say. I don't get too much from the gallery because most of the builds unless I redo the flow of the inside and layout I find it a pain to play in. It's why I started building my own builds. If I have to spend time redoing the inside of a build for more than the time it takes to simply redecorate then I have spent too much time on another person's build. I honestly feel. Smaller isn't always better. Small bedrooms with double beds taking up most of the bedroom is a pet peeve of mine with some builders out there. Smaller isn't always better. Sometimes bigger is actually better because it allows for better flow in the layout you have for your sims. Though I know some builders would totally disagree with me. That is ok.

I feel what non-builders in our community go through. Play in what you build. Make sure everything works before you put it on the gallery. Don't make sims claustrophobic either. Sometimes our community wants you to go big or go home.

I'm a builder I make sure everything works in my game. I rarely share on the Gallery because I use a ton of CC in my builds and don't feel it would be fair to share something and force anybody playing in my build to go hunting everything down. I could try to limit my CC and start sharing on the gallery and give links to things like elevators I use in almost all my builds. I am quite proud of what I build for myself now. Beauty and function are indeed a must. I don't know if the platforms have been fixed but putting half-walls to make them look nicer wasn't very functional and my sims weren't going onto the platforms for anything on them until I removed the half-walls. Also, a lot of the building community uses T.O.O.L by TwistedMexi to get cool effects but they don't always function and you need the bb.moveobjects cheat enabled in your game with some builds out there.

Have you tried DevonBumpkin or KateEmerald's builds? The builds they have done on the gallery that I've downloaded into my library are both beautiful and functional plus me they don't do CC heavy builds. (I don't have a lot of their builds but the few I do have are very nice to play in. It saves me time when I don't want to build something myself.

I would recommend others but they are mostly Patreon builders like Harrie who I genuinely love. Outside of Kate Emerald and a few others, the Patreon builders are the best of the very best in the building community and deserve the supporters they have. Because you are going to most likely pay for their build they take the effort to make sure that everything is functional because they don't want to lose the money from their supporters. I would also recommend not going to the gallery for builds with the exception of a few builders like KateEmerald, DevonBumpkin, James, even LilSimsie.

Go to Mod the Sims and Sims Resource Center for decent builds without any CC Again they are a better quality of builds that are created by the best of the best. They aren't going to want something that isn't functional because it'll mean a lot of negative feedback instead of positive feedback from those going there instead of the gallery for their builds. The builders on these sites will show you what the build looks like on the inside too. Any CC used will be linked in the description.

Again I don't mean to offend anybody who builds in the community. I apologize for offending anybody.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I feel like majority of popular builders now just make things for looks rather than function. I see so many builds that are totally unplayable as they put so much stuff that you can barely even see the rooms

+1

A house doesn't need a dozen bedrooms, 5 TV sets, 3 swimming pools, and an item from every pack etc. It's like builders are trying to outdo each other. Oh, and they slip in a mod or two.

I'm happy with starter homes.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Have you tried DevonBumpkin or KateEmerald's builds? The builds they have done on the gallery that I've downloaded into my library are both beautiful and functional plus me they don't do CC heavy builds. (I don't have a lot of their builds but the few I do have are very nice to play in. It saves me time when I don't want to build something myself.
    I love DevonBumpkin's builds.<3 I am doubtful they would work well for many in this thread, though. Both he and KateEmerald use an absolute ton of objects in their builds and MOO, but nothing in your post is offensive at all.
    But if people are interested I recommend they take a quick look at his YouTube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1TPyODrNKG50lMkF8ruPNw ) to preview the builds.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Are y’all enabling MOO before placing those lots like you’re supposed to? Because if you don’t, things will disappear and not appear correctly.

The point is, you shouldn't have to. I believe if a person knowingly downloads a lot that states MOO was used, then they are supposed to enable the cheat. It's not something otherwise thought to be something you're supposed to do up front. Thank you. Just had to vent my spleen.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    Early last year, I once grabbed a cute restaurant off the gallery from I don't remember who, and they used a foundation as the plaza for their restaurant that descended into the ground for the entrance - it was a pretty restaurant that looked like it kind of blossomed out of this crater. There were major issues though. The primary issue was that the foundation they used as a plaza - the only area where you could descend the stairs to the front door - didn't have stairs from the street to the higher level, meaning you couldn't even get to the down staircase to enter the establishment. The 2nd and 4th levels were also excessively cramped, and dining was a nightmare. There was also this really awkward outdoor bathroom on the 4th level that was in like a 1x3 room that caused major blockage because Sims often cluttered around the door.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm not a 'famous' builder but everything I shared on the gallery I actually also used in my game. Some people just build models that aren't actually livable or playable. But I rarely do that unless I'm building a replica of something I don't intend to play.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Are y’all enabling MOO before placing those lots like you’re supposed to? Because if you don’t, things will disappear and not appear correctly.

The point is, you shouldn't have to. I believe if a person knowingly downloads a lot that states MOO was used, then they are supposed to enable the cheat. It's not something otherwise thought to be something you're supposed to do up front. Thank you. Just had to vent my spleen.

I agree with this MOO is a cheat. Not all of us enable cheats.. I don't have it enabled by default because it messes up how I place things. I have no qualms with a builder that indicates the build was made with MOO. I know what to avoid that way. Sometimes I even look and some are good ... some just take too much work to be made useable. At this point for me it's preferable to avoid the frustration in the first place unless I absolutely know the builder knows what they are doing and playtests it thoroughly.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    I playtest all my builds and my own Sims generally live in them.
    That said, I've discovered issues months later that didn't exist when I shared a build. The issue with fencing making stairs unusable after an update is a good example. Sometimes I fix builds and re-upload them, but in instances like this it's easier to just let people remove the fencing themselves and I left a comment on the upload stating as much.

I don't use MOO generally, because I don't want to create issues. I've only used it once, that I can think of, and it was just for something decorative. When I shared an updated version of the house recently I didn't use it.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Gita wrote: »
    The thing that really annoys me the most is the amount of lights and inside columns builders use in their builds.

Ugh, columns drive me crazy. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with them.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    BreeNilla wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    People complain about how Maxis builds aren't very good but a primary feature of them is that they don't use MOO and they don't make the place expensive with Clutter. They don't look as lived in or real, but the challenge is for us, the player, to make a house look like a home after we move in.

Some builds might be BORING, but apart from the missing toilet mansion (tm) they all WORK.
    There was also the one in StrangerVille that didn't have a counter to use for cooking.

There's also the crane lot in Evergreen. You can't use the bed in the crane because the ceiling light hangs too low.

And that one is specifically built by a Gamechanger, it was one of those lots specifically marked as such.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The thing that really annoys me the most is the amount of lights and inside columns builders use in their builds.

Ugh, columns drive me crazy. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with them.

IRL we don't have lights brighter than over an autopsy table on a TV thriller in every room.
    This is what a normal IRL livingroom looks like. You decorate with lights as much as everything else (stock photo borrowed from the Internet):

9.jpg?i10c=img.resize(height:160)

I, for one, use the same things in the game. I admit part of it has to do with how good your graphic card is; some very low end cards cannot render gradual lighting and shadows correctly and then you either have PITCH BLACK or DECENT and nothing else. But.

• Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I'm no good at building shells that look good, so when I download lots from the gallery now, it's usually because how I like how something looks on the outside, and then I totally gut the inside.

I agree with most of OP's complaints, but I will say, the only thing that makes sense about having two bars is that, while only one bartender shows up, if you specifically want your sim(s) to be able to build their bartending skills, it makes it easier to have that second bar available and not in use. Also, as far as I've ever noticed, it doesn't seem to hurt anything to have more than one bar... unlike, say, a second greeter, which seems to make things glitchy. But that's just my experience, ymmv.
  • Options
    BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    And that one is specifically built by a Gamechanger, it was one of those lots specifically marked as such.
    That's not really the GCs fault, though...it's up to Maxis to make sure things are up to standard before they ship the game. If it's something on the gallery, fine, I see your frustration. But for the Snowy Escape builds and the one from Spark'd, if anything's wrong with them, it's still on Maxis.

GCs are just people. They aren't professionals. I don't understand all the hate they get on these forums, people have these really weird preconceived notions without even watching their content. :| (not pointed at you, Beardedgeek, just something I'm seeing a lot of...)
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I have a couple builds that do have quite a few columns, but that's because I build from movie and real houses and they had them.
    Maybe some people do it because it completes the mansion baron aspiration?
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    They only build for looks and views, cluttering and moveobjects makes great builds, but most of them don't even test before uploading it to the gallery. Its annoying that I look between hundreds of houses to pick a favorite, just to find out it doesn't function properly. But, hm, ok... If EA allows that on the gallery, its not the builders fault.
  • Options
    lisamwitt wrote: »

I have a couple builds that do have quite a few columns, but that's because I build from movie and real houses and they had them.

Also I see a huge difference between using columns where it makes sense (like "holding up" a platform or a loft with realistic spacing), and using columns for example in every corner or with MOO in every doorframe.
  • Options
    Montrase102Montrase102 Posts: 330 Member
    I like to play and build. I am not an expert, but I do try to play with each build I make, but even after that sometimes I run into issues. I recently did a base for my upcoming haunted house. I thought all was well, but when my Sim was able to use the master bathroom it worked fine, then later on they couldn't walk out of it anymore. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so fine, I tore down the wall and now they go through a curtain to enter it. Works now! haha
  • Options
    lisamwitt wrote: »

Also I see a huge difference between using columns where it makes sense (like "holding up" a platform or a loft with realistic spacing), and using columns for example in every corner or with MOO in every doorframe.

Ah. Yeah, that's different.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I play only vanilla, I build what kind of buildings I want for my sims in their worlds & I build Landscapes to change my worlds. I also, love sharing my creations on the Gallery.
    If anyone is interested, they can check out my creations under my username: SEREFRAS.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    People complain about how Maxis builds aren't very good but a primary feature of them is that they don't use MOO and they don't make the place expensive with Clutter. They don't look as lived in or real, but the challenge is for us, the player, to make a house look like a home after we move in.

Some builds might be BORING, but apart from the missing toilet mansion (tm) they all WORK.
    There was also the one in StrangerVille that didn't have a counter to use for cooking.

There's also the crane lot in Evergreen. You can't use the bed in the crane because the ceiling light hangs too low.

Thanks, I didn't know that.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    That's not really the GCs fault, though...it's up to Maxis to make sure things are up to standard before they ship the game. If it's something on the gallery, fine, I see your frustration. But for the Snowy Escape builds and the one from Spark'd, if anything's wrong with them, it's still on Maxis.

GCs are just people. They aren't professionals. I don't understand all the hate they get on these forums, people have these really weird preconceived notions without even watching their content. :| (not pointed at you, Beardedgeek, just something I'm seeing a lot of...)

They're not limited to how much time they can spend on the lot since it's not their job, so they can take the time to play test it. I upload lots I want to save for my game in case I delete the wrong lot in my library but I also play test them first. I also don't use moo, there's too many ways it can mess up the build so I don't take the chance.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2021
    Every house needs at least one computer (unless you're playing a no-tech situation, but computers are often very important for daily tasks). That means a Desk, a Desk Chair, and a Computer, with pathing that allows your Sim to get to it and sit down.

It's nice to see desks cluttered up but you have to watch out for it getting in the way. Sometimes my Sims have put down books on top of their computers. These have then made it impossible to sit and work at the computers.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I can't speak for other builders (I don't know what their reasons are), but I will never build something that I don't plan on using

Same! I prefer to build something that I can use for my own gameplay. So, to be able to use it, is a must for me.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    CellardwellerCellardweller Posts: 92 Member
    rudolpha wrote: »
    Agree on the fact so many lots I download end up being unplayable without extensive input from myself but what I don't get is why they get so many likes/loves from others.

I think it's because Maxis faves get the most visibility and like/loves by followers who haven't even had a look at or played the lot - even though their criteria for fav-ing is a mystery too. There are some really meh creations that get faved and some really awesome builds by lesser known creators who never get faved.