Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Toxic Twitter

Comments

• Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited January 2021
    Twitter is still very chill place compared to Youtube. :#
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited January 2021
    Most the time I’m seeing tweets about how good TS3 is compared to TS4, which gets old sometimes. It could just be based on who you follow on what you see.
    But the Sims is a company, it’s expected imo. All they can do is fix it, give them what they want, or ignore it, and all of that will have an outcome of some sort.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,651 Member
    Twitter be like that often. I'm glad I don't spend a lot of time on there.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,148 Member
    One other thing that blew my mind. Ts4 was in the category to be nominated for the labor of love reward. I saw simmers literally got together and said they want the gurus to feel embarrassed if ts3 wins the award instead. So they rallied together and got as many people as they could to nominate ts3 on steam.
    Mind blowing...🤯 and celebrated that ts4 didn't win.

I don't wondering about that, I just looked at the (for me annoying) 'fix the skin tone' - spam on twitter, which had literally buried everything what had to do with the sims. That the gurus now use their official accounts for only promotion could be the consequence of such general toxic behaviour of the twitter community at all.

The simsforum I find very friendly compared to other forums I know, even with the sometimes hard and very direct critics, it's still more civilized and moderated than other social media channels.

Honestly, I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw the devs blog about the next stuffpack here in the forum, I didn't expected to see such threads ever again.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,736 Member
    edited January 2021
    I see both positive and negative comments on twitter... but there are also a lot of comments about what people want for the sims4 and why the sims3 is better... and that is becoming pretty repetitive after all these years... I guess that's to be expected when you keep a game going for so long, but still...

There are also a lot of people who seems to take this thing way too...personal. It's just a game. But people post all sorts of personal pictures, go off on rants or share things that I would not share on twitter...

People are also either way too positive, or too negative as well. People lost their minds over Bonehilda for example and then they found out that she doesn't have a coffin and they go super negative.

I like that the forums are moderated and the people here make good posts about their opinions, and it's not just a short super positive or super negative message in all caps.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Why do you think I'm here instead of Twitter? Because everytime I search "sims 4", I get so many negative tweets about something I rather like. Just ugh.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    This is why I think the gurus should just use the forums more. Sure, you have people that are critical of The Sims 4 (as you do anywhere else), but those who wrongly attack the developers of the game are swiftly dealt with, and really, I don’t see much of that behavior in comparison to Twitter. Even if the gurus block those people saying awful things, Twitter is still providing them a platform to continue to spew hateful things.

Honestly, I even miss The Sims 3’s social pages! Those were awesome, and before they were revamped to be boring and generic, we were able to customize ours to be unique and fun.

I think, either with this iteration or the next, we should see The Sims 3 style social pages for us to share content, discuss the game within our circles/friend groups, and perhaps visit the pages of gurus where they could provide updates and interact with fans no different than they do now with Twitter.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    Twitter is a mess. And I can't figure out if it is because so many of us are confined to our homes because of COVID, or if those folks are simply unhappy with their personal lives in general. I'm hardly a unicorns and rainbows kind of person, but many of those Twitter posters are very unhappy and seem to want to bring everyone down to their level. A few of them are quite adept at starting a full blown war, and I imagine they take a certain amount of pleasure from it as they read the rants and snarky jabs being thrown. That's what comes from being totally anonymous: They know they can get away with it without any repercussions. I've encountered some of this behavior lately while out shopping because everyone wears a mask, and I have walked past people I know but don't recognize because of their masks. People just seem to be unhappy more than they were a few months ago, and that unhappiness is spilling out everywhere. But that isn't much of an excuse for rude behavior, or for instigating arguments in gaming forums, or for causing a fight in the checkout line at your favorite grocery store. People are unhappy, mad, bored, worried, and acting out seems to be the only solution they can come up with. And that is not an acceptable excuse for being a bully or a troublemaker. I left Twitter a long time ago because of the toxic atmosphere there; and I don't miss it at all.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I don't participate at all in social media, but it sounds like a familiar theme....and my answer remains the same. If someone doesn't like the game, walk away and do something else. Why be bitter about it? Life is too short to get angry about a video game, there are bigger fish to fry
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,559 Member
    I joined Twitter specifically to keep up with the simgurus news and comments. I think I lasted about a month before I closed my account back down.

I had dared to make a small joke about something sims related and the abuse I received was totally uncalled for. So, I thought, what's the point in hanging around a place like that? Now I just rely on other people who seem content to re-post Twitter news here.

I do find it sad, though, that the gurus hang there more than here on the official forum.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    It does seem a bit hostile. I got a rude reply just for commenting on an @TheSims tweet using my Animal Crossing Twitter account last week. It’s the only Twitter account I have and I feel like I’m still allowed to express my opinions without needing a sims avatar.

I've noticed that's a thing they do on twitter regardless of your avatar. I've been mocked for "not having enough followers" so I can't be allowed an opinion apparently. If anyone actually likes something or has a different opinion people will go onto your page and find some way to mock or condescend you to belittle your opinion
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited January 2021
    Very true. I do disagree with some of the language of the article--I don't think people need to "keep their criticism in check" as long as it is constructive and kind. People often use criticism as a guise for hate which is unfortunate. I will say I have encountered both toxic positivity and negativity for the game, from "shut up and just enjoy the pack even if you don't like it we don't want any feedback" to "if you like anything about sims 4 you must dumb" I suppose which is worse or more encountered for a person will be subjective.

That being said, hate and blame cast towards gurus, devs, and game changers/YouTubers is always inappropriate. I am stunned at the way people view gamechangers here sometimes, let alone Twitter. If it isn't constructive or kind, don't mention it, even online. These things always have a way of going around and you could really hurt somebody. Not to mention it's really a downer for everyone else.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Twitter is a cesspool of the worst that mankind has to offer. Thats putting it lightly.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Due to messages limitation, a lot of people just complain without explanation on twitter. Thats why twitter is not constructive. Some times I also want to pay SimGuru's attention to some things on Twitter because I feel that they do not read this forum, but I try to not be toxic.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    It does seem a bit hostile. I got a rude reply just for commenting on an @TheSims tweet using my Animal Crossing Twitter account last week. It’s the only Twitter account I have and I feel like I’m still allowed to express my opinions without needing a sims avatar.

Welcome to the horrors of Social Media.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    This may be controversial but I don’t think Twitter is any worse then other social media platforms and in some cases I’ve seen more toxicity on these forums then on other sites. Albeit without wanting to break rules those people seem to have been banned and it now seems less toxic on here but I’ve seen those same posters on Twitter, Instagram etc spouting the same negative stuff. I’m not against negative comments but it’s how it’s put across and most of the time it seems rude. Most of all social media sites seem toxic on any subject but with the sims community it seem pretty standard across the board with the negativity it’s seems hard to find positive comments.
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    Daravi wrote: »
    I just looked at the (for me annoying) 'fix the skin tone' - spam on twitter, which had literally buried everything what had to do with the sims. That the gurus now use their official accounts for only promotion could be the consequence of such general toxic behaviour of the twitter community at all.

Yeah, similar happened when they announced on Facebook that Snowy Escape has now been released world wide. I didn't see any comments about Snowy Escape, all I saw was "fix the game!" spam and for a while that drowned out anything to do with the Sims. I switched off from social media at that time and played the game instead.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Right now the latest post about the 2nd Supernatural SP blog post is full with "#fixtheskintones for console!!". There are even very abusive posts saying stuff like "hi ea, my dear racists... bla bla bla"... horrible stuff... this fix the skin tones demands are totally out of line...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    This is why I think the gurus should just use the forums more. Sure, you have people that are critical of The Sims 4 (as you do anywhere else), but those who wrongly attack the developers of the game are swiftly dealt with, and really, I don’t see much of that behavior in comparison to Twitter. Even if the gurus block those people saying awful things, Twitter is still providing them a platform to continue to spew hateful things.

Honestly, I even miss The Sims 3’s social pages! Those were awesome, and before they were revamped to be boring and generic, we were able to customize ours to be unique and fun.

I think, either with this iteration or the next, we should see The Sims 3 style social pages for us to share content, discuss the game within our circles/friend groups, and perhaps visit the pages of gurus where they could provide updates and interact with fans no different than they do now with Twitter.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't use the forums for those things. You'd think they would after all they've receive from the community on Twitter. Especially because these forums are specifically about the Sims.
    Post edited by Sallycutecat on
  • Options
    Onverser wrote: »

I've noticed that's a thing they do on twitter regardless of your avatar. I've been mocked for "not having enough followers" so I can't be allowed an opinion apparently. If anyone actually likes something or has a different opinion people will go onto your page and find some way to mock or condescend you to belittle your opinion

Which is really odd that they do that. If they really think your opinion is so insignificant then why go through all that effort to shut you up? Deep down they know you are correct. They try to push this idea that the Sims 4 is a "terrible" game that "no one likes at all" and when they see someone say they're really enjoying the game, they try to shut them up because just one person liking the game makes the "no one likes this" statement incorrect. They resort to personal attacks and insults which is just real low.

I saw something on Facebook that I think applies:
    "People don't want to hear your opinion. They want to hear their opinion coming out of your mouth."
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I deleted my Twitter two days after Christmas. Losing a finger on the pulse of the NBA was an acceptable tradeoff for my vastly improved mental health so far this year.

Gaming Twitter isn't too awful on the official dev feeds for most games, but The Sims has a nasty habit of bringing out the worst in some people when they forget that the game isn't individually tailored for their tastes and that not every pack has to be exactly what they wanted.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I joined Twitter specifically to keep up with the simgurus news and comments. I think I lasted about a month before I closed my account back down.

Yep, same here. One of the EPs were announced and I seen the wishing cancer/kill yourselves comments for myself before they were removed. I deleted and then signed up here.

Also un-subscribed from the Reddit after there was a full on comment chain being upvoted just tearing LilSimsies appearance down, it was so gross.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    I decided to not focus on the toxic elements and I signed up for Twitter today to support the sim gurus. I noticed we had a few discussions about how things get nerfed because of constant negative feedback so I figured why not be a positive voice.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah Twitter I avoid using and now that is has been used as a weapon, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth how long the site itself has remained unmoderated before it was too late. Twitter I do find to be the most toxic part of the Sims community. Actually heard some horror stories from Game Changers how they had to close their account for a bit from their "so called fans" attacking them. I rather be on forums, Twitch, and modthesims which have more experienced mods moderating their sites. Twitter feels like it has lazy young moderators with no experience. Some of the biggest dramas that come from forums actually come from Twitter, so it is the fire that feeds many flames.

I did laugh at this part because it feels like Twitter already feels like a toddler in a snowsuit and anyone who has raised kids know putting a toddler in a snowsuit is miserable for them and so not wholesome. " Keep your criticism in check and together we can make Sims Twitter as wholesome as a toddler in a snowsuit." They will cry and wet and poop that snowsuit is the reality of it.

Yea one of the game changers, not sure of her name because I don't keep up with them much, left Twitter temporarily after exploding on simmers to stop all the toxic behavior. And everyone started roasting her for it so she had to take a break. Probably were others too. People may think it doesn't mean anything but overwhelming negativity affects your mental health and adds unneeded stress on your brain.
    It's just madness and I had no idea the sims community was such an unwelcoming place.

There was even this one simmer who made a voice message cursing out another fellow simmer by name just for likening ts4. It was very offensive and unnecessary. I was done. 😐
    Yeah think we are thinking of the same person it happened too. I've seen every community manager attacked on Twitter by Simmers too while Sims 4 has been out especially after some got removed from the influencer program. I couldn't mentally handle all the crazies either on Twitter. I've known some leave the program because of the toxicity displayed on Twitter too towards them so much so that they were like if I knew what I know now, I would never had signed up to be a Game Changer. I do agree about Youtube being bad too. One of my friends had her discord hit by some racist comments and gore images. It was totally insane how people treated her. I do wish the ignore feature was better on forums which is a major flaw I find in the security of it.

@Sharonia Gurus play Animal Crossing too, but sorry you got attacked over it. It is an amazing game and honestly love how friendly the Animal Crossing community is and often find it has a more mature audience. GrimSuruDoi it was so funny how he wanted some of the diy recipes. Don't feel bad for playing it and nice to have more than one game in common with people.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller