The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Toxic Twitter

What are your thoughts about this article here:
https://thegamer.com/the-sims-4-toxic-twitter/

I'm talking specifically about users attacking others for liking or enjoying the Sims 4. Is anyone else sick of this toxic negativity?
Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos

Comments

• Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I am. The article was very lecturing; but rightfully so.
  • Options
    BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Lol..
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I spend very little time on Twitter, but when I’m there, it actually seems more positive than the forum does. I must miss all the vitriol.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It does seem a bit hostile. I got a rude reply just for commenting on an @TheSims tweet using my Animal Crossing Twitter account last week. It’s the only Twitter account I have and I feel like I’m still allowed to express my opinions without needing a sims avatar.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I'm not following any of the gurus or sims official account on my twitter, but last time I see I didn't see any negativity instead I see the opposite when some player ooh aah over door swatches
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,436 Member
    I usually pop onto twitter every day just to see if there's any new news from the sims team and I, for sure see the nasty replies to every single tweet from The Sims twitter account, the Guru's twitters accounts, to players that have positive things to say about a pack or feature or just TS4 in general. It's extremely toxic.

On Twitter it only takes one person to say something negative, then 100's of sheep (followers) chime in with a similar or same rant. Sad thing is, I've read many times people said they say they don't like TS4 even tho they secretly do because they get bashed if they praise any part of it. Twitter is a very clique-y, popularity site, the more likes and followers you get from posts you make, they more important it makes you feel. That's the generation The Sims is marketing to, that demographics. Young people who only want to follow the "cool" kids and not speak on their own behalf.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,511 Member
    Yes, definitely. It's one thing to give constructive and helpful criticism with suggestions on how to improve something. It's entirely another to obsess over things you hate and rant and rave at anyone and everyone about it. It astounds me that there are still people who don't understand the difference.

But this is why I much prefer the Forums. It's more heavily moderated here, you can report troublemakers, and choose which threads to be (or not be) part of.

The article does touch on something important, though. The devs use Twitter to open up an avenue of communication with their player base, and since they've been more active on there, we get more information than we used to. But more and more Gurus are falling back into the background and going silent again, most likely because of the people who don't seem to be able to control themselves and their attitudes. I just hope that we can keep the Forums civil enough for them to consider more activity over here.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,159 Member
    I rarely see any sims toxicity on Twitter unless I deliberately look for it. You just need to know which accounts to block and which word/phrases to mute.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Agreed the twitter really is toxic. I only look their if there are leaks and new mods available but now, I am better of lookinat zforums general discussion and Speculation and Rumor.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    If somebody is offering criticism that is fine. I think the problem some the people have now is they have been raised to always be rewarded and aren't taught that failure builds character and how to accept constructive criticism. There is a difference between being critical and pointing out things that bad in a way to improve and downright trolling. Trolling is meant to be mean spiteful and a form of bullying. Criticism may hurt someone's feelings but personally, I welcome failures as much as success. Success teaches us what we can do at our best failures teach us to better think a problem and improve. I personally am my own worst critic too.

Sometimes you have to rant when you want to get your point across. It's not being toxic in my opinion. Sometimes you try civilised polite ways of doing things but those don't work. You feel as though you are a faint whisper amongst a crowd of shouting individuals and you can't speak any louder than you already are. This can be very upsetting, toxic and triggering to some and out of both love for this franchise and the pain of being ignored and forgotten people have had enough and start a rant. That isn't toxic just that we all have our "breaking point" and you never know what is going on in other simmers lives when they start a rant. There could be a lot of things happening in the lives of others and their way to distress and unwind has failed to help them. There are many things that trigger rants.

Everyone get a cat or dog and start petting them. It'll make you forget all the toxicity on the internet Plushies work too by squeezing and holding them. You are never too old for plushies.

My niece pointed out that when you don't see a face you might be a little ruder kind of like talking smack behind someone's back.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't typically use Twitter (no account), but whenever I check a Sims twitter announcement it is usually mixed feedback. Nothing worse than YouTube comments, forum posts, etc. Then again, Twitter was never about having a proper discussion either. So, I think the article is largely cherry picking and preaching. I care about as much about it as all the words of the people actually raging on Twitter.
  • Options
    Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Yeah, the amount of people insisting that, “nobody asked for this!” on basically every pack related post is exhausting. People did ask for content like paranormal, and claiming otherwise is a lie.
    Yup! even on Instagram as well is like a smack in the face and keep quoting them we did ask for this give Big Oh..

[img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2021
    Ironically I think it's Gamechangers who make up the majority of the 'I like realism' players while at the same time not liking it 'too' realistic. And a handful of Realism players think they're the most important opinion - Gamechangers also are very good at building with clutter and BB-objects. Ultimately, Occult players are incredibly common and asking for Occult Lifestates is common too.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    I've protected my sanity by not going to twitter at all for any reason.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    "On Twitter it only takes one person to say something negative, then 100's of sheep (followers) chime in with a similar or same rant." --Chicklet45368

That isn't just a Twitter thing, it happens right here as well.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Although The Sims 4 isn't perfect, the biggest problem about the game right now is how toxic the Twitter community is.
    Twitter can be a pretty awful website, but this is a strange premise. It is a singleplayer game. Even if it was multiplayer, how could the biggest problem possibly be how people engage with each other on twitter? I guarantee you the majority of people who play the game don't even have a twitter account.
    While well-known faces like Dave Miotke, aka SimGuruNinja Spark'd Judge, remain in the public eye, many others have gone quiet in recent months. This could be due to the chaotic state of the world right now but it wouldn't be surprising if it was in response to increasing toxicity online.
    This "toxicity" has been a part of the sims 4 community and part of online communities in general since the beginning of the game and long before. It's weird to look at the very real material conditions of the world and how so many people are dealing with extra stress and sometimes extremely disruptive and destructive material conditions, and then say the problem is actually not that, but a small number of twitter users.
    So next time you feel like kicking off on Twitter, please keep your cool and remember that on the other side of that monitor are real people who are all dealing with varying levels of chaos and upset right now. Don't be the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that makes it worse. Keep your criticism in check and together we can make Sims Twitter as wholesome as a toddler in a snowsuit.
    No one is going to make twitter wholesome, sorry. It's a website that pits people against each other based on clout and takedowns, and when it's not doing that, most of it is shallow viral marketing. I've been on smaller parts of twitter that actively try to be supportive and some people really do their best to make the most of it, but it's a website that inherently, through the infinite wisdom of mediocre algorithms, gives some voices more power than others for inscrutable reasons and a lot of those voices use them irresponsibly, on top of lots of voices with little power taking their anger out on complete strangers, possibly in part because they have no voice for no apparent reason.

People like the article writer are probably expected to be on twitter as part of their job, which makes them more likely to have an audience and more unlikely to be able to escape to worst parts of twitter, which is probably where this is coming from. I've yet to hear from someone who has a sizable platform on twitter who actually enjoys how the website works.

That said, it's just hard to read an article like this, making it sound like some people on twitter is the biggest problem with a singleplayer video game, knowing what people are going through in RL. On top of that, knowing that the sims 4 is probably one of the least toxic communities there is in video games and if that surprises you, you don't want to know how awful some of the worst of people can be in some game communities. And on top of that, knowing that blaming video game communities for being big mad is a common deflection used in video game media when a game is suffering from bad PR.

Nobody has an answer for how to resolve this stuff beyond encouraging other people to "be nice" because: 1) to some extent, the answer is for this paid product to be better quality and nothing else will soothe people who are in a certain kind of place of discontent with it, short of leaving the community entirely and 2) these platforms we call "communities" are built primarily for marketing and discussion, in that order. They are not built with human connection in mind and there is generally nothing connecting people other than how much love they have for a product in a given moment. If you want a community that won't be "toxic," you're gonna have to make one and figure out how to connect people on a level deeper than their current level of enjoyment of a product.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yeah Twitter I avoid using and now that is has been used as a weapon, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth how long the site itself has remained unmoderated before it was too late. Twitter I do find to be the most toxic part of the Sims community. Actually heard some horror stories from Game Changers how they had to close their account for a bit from their "so called fans" attacking them. I rather be on forums, Twitch, and modthesims which have more experienced mods moderating their sites. Twitter feels like it has lazy young moderators with no experience. Some of the biggest dramas that come from forums actually come from Twitter, so it is the fire that feeds many flames.

I did laugh at this part because it feels like Twitter already feels like a toddler in a snowsuit and anyone who has raised kids know putting a toddler in a snowsuit is miserable for them and so not wholesome. " Keep your criticism in check and together we can make Sims Twitter as wholesome as a toddler in a snowsuit." They will cry and wet and poop that snowsuit is the reality of it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I usually pop onto twitter every day just to see if there's any new news from the sims team and I, for sure see the nasty replies to every single tweet from The Sims twitter account, the Guru's twitters accounts, to players that have positive things to say about a pack or feature or just TS4 in general. It's extremely toxic.

On Twitter it only takes one person to say something negative, then 100's of sheep (followers) chime in with a similar or same rant. Sad thing is, I've read many times people said they say they don't like TS4 even tho they secretly do because they get bashed if they praise any part of it. Twitter is a very clique-y, popularity site, the more likes and followers you get from posts you make, they more important it makes you feel. That's the generation The Sims is marketing to, that demographics. Young people who only want to follow the "cool" kids and not speak on their own behalf.

This is my exact experience. It's so mentally draining. There are even simmers to dedicatedly post negativity about ts4 Evey single day without fail. And if anyone says anything positive the gang jumps on them. They roast gurus and tag them in nonsense all day. I always say this but humanity has truly fallen and it's a sad thing to see.😒 all thos over a video game...

I even tried to filter out the negative posters and still see it all over the place so I gave up.
    I'm barely on there now. Infact I'm ready to delete the app as soon as ts4 ends. But as of now it's one of the best sources of ts4 info and direct connection with gurus. So I pop up for guru tweets and pack info.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

This is my exact experience. It's so mentally draining. There are even simmers to dedicatedly post negativity about ts4 Evey single day without fail. And if anyone says anything positive the gang jumps on them. They roast gurus and tag them in nonsense all day. I always say this but humanity has truly fallen and it's a sad thing to see.😒 all thos over a video game...

I even tried to filter out the negative posters and still see it all over the place so I gave up.
    I'm barely on there now. Infact I'm ready to delete the app as soon as ts4 ends. But as of now it's one of the best sources of ts4 info and direct connection with gurus. So I pop up for guru tweets and pack info.
    Might help using this link. Don't need a Twitter account to view it which is nice and filters out all the negative and fan noise and get to the news stuff: https://twitter.com/i/lists/994711305746501632?lang=en
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »
    Yes, definitely. It's one thing to give constructive and helpful criticism with suggestions on how to improve something. It's entirely another to obsess over things you hate and rant and rave at anyone and everyone about it. It astounds me that there are still people who don't understand the difference.

But this is why I much prefer the Forums. It's more heavily moderated here, you can report troublemakers, and choose which threads to be (or not be) part of.

The article does touch on something important, though. The devs use Twitter to open up an avenue of communication with their player base, and since they've been more active on there, we get more information than we used to. But more and more Gurus are falling back into the background and going silent again, most likely because of the people who don't seem to be able to control themselves and their attitudes. I just hope that we can keep the Forums civil enough for them to consider more activity over here.

I thought the forums were bad but Twitter is on a new level of negative crazy 😅😅
    This is something I definitely noticed. When I first joined Twitter to keep up with the simgurus they were posting way more. Simguruninja in particular would retweet cool sim stuff he found and was always sharing or tweeting something. Now it's barely anything from any of them except strict pack promotion. The occasional dog or food pic and I don't blame them one bit. I think it's to the point where they don't even want to interact with simmers. 😔
  • Options
    PixilatedPixilated Posts: 42 Member
    I don't think it's just a Twitter thing. I don't do Twitter, it doesn't float my boat, but YouTube has some pretty terrible comments in Sims related videos. Towards the game and towards simmers. People fail to realize that this game wasn't made for one type of player, but for a variety of players. Those who like realism or supernatural or fantasy or whatever. Not everything is going to make everyone happy all of the time and it makes them mad so they have to go and cry to everyone else and complain about how they hate what EA is doing all while buying every Sims pack that they claim to hate.
    I for one let my Sims Flag Fly and if anyone tries to make me feel bad for loving the sims, well I feel bad for them more for not having something to love.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah Twitter I avoid using and now that is has been used as a weapon, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth how long the site itself has remained unmoderated before it was too late. Twitter I do find to be the most toxic part of the Sims community. Actually heard some horror stories from Game Changers how they had to close their account for a bit from their "so called fans" attacking them. I rather be on forums, Twitch, and modthesims which have more experienced mods moderating their sites. Twitter feels like it has lazy young moderators with no experience. Some of the biggest dramas that come from forums actually come from Twitter, so it is the fire that feeds many flames.

I did laugh at this part because it feels like Twitter already feels like a toddler in a snowsuit and anyone who has raised kids know putting a toddler in a snowsuit is miserable for them and so not wholesome. " Keep your criticism in check and together we can make Sims Twitter as wholesome as a toddler in a snowsuit." They will cry and wet and poop that snowsuit is the reality of it.

Yea one of the game changers, not sure of her name because I don't keep up with them much, left Twitter temporarily after exploding on simmers to stop all the toxic behavior. And everyone started roasting her for it so she had to take a break. Probably were others too. People may think it doesn't mean anything but overwhelming negativity affects your mental health and adds unneeded stress on your brain.
    It's just madness and I had no idea the sims community was such an unwelcoming place.

There was even this one simmer who made a voice message cursing out another fellow simmer by name just for likening ts4. It was very offensive and unnecessary. I was done. 😐
  • Options
    One other thing that blew my mind. Ts4 was in the category to be nominated for the labor of love reward. I saw simmers literally got together and said they want the gurus to feel embarrassed if ts3 wins the award instead. So they rallied together and got as many people as they could to nominate ts3 on steam.
    Mind blowing...🤯 and celebrated that ts4 didn't win.