Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying packs and intentionally not using the main feature

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    I like several packs without being interested in the main feature
    Pffffft I don’t use the main feature of this game in general, which is gameplay, and for obvious reasons. I buy the packs when they are on sale, and my version of gameplay is building, creating sims, pose player for screenshots and writing their stories. That’s it. I don’t bother with the utter brokenness of gameplay.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited January 2021
    What's the point of owning a pack if you don't use the main feature?
    Honestly buying a pack without being interesting in the main feature is the reason Vampires are the way they are now. The guru's created an individual pack for them so they would be fully fleshed out and not half-🐸🐸🐸🐸, shoved in as a side feature to a pack (ala Aliens and Mermaids) But due to people buying Vampires for the BB/CaS items lead to an uproar in people complaining about the main feature, which was the vampires themselves.

Like if you don't want vampires in your game fine, use a mod to keep the game from generating new ones and keep the premade ones isolated in Forgotten Hollow, but for the love of God, please don't endlessly whine about it on the Forums or to the Devs via Twitter, because guess what? The gurus bowed to the pressure and now vampires have been nerfed to Hell and back, so the people who actually wanted to play with vampires and experience the more scary side of them have to jump through hoops just to get vampire's breaking in or having their sim become a vampire. It's maddening.
    And overall, the worst aspect is that all the complaints about Vampires bubbled over to Mermaids and Spellcasters. You can see the effect the most with Spellcasters, it's why they're stuck to performing magic only in the Magic Realm and why they'll prioritise using normal objects over using spells, such as scrubroo, and teleport/brooms etc.

It's also why random NPC's from unplayed households will become Spellcasters to "fill" the Magic World because people kept complaining about game generated sims. Which is actually a feature that wasn't in Vampires, because the people who made that pack, knew that we the players wanted control over who became a vampire and who didn't, so without a mod you get the "invasion of the Spellcasters." It's beyond annoying. (ofc the NPC's becoming Spellcasters could be a bug and not a feature, I'm not overly sure on that one.)
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I buy the pack to use the main features, but I usually forgot about it in a matter of days, the last pack that I enjoy its main features is Eco Lifestyle for Green Eco, I like seeing Aurora Borealis and make me miss Lulea, Sweden when I spent my 2019 winter over there
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    IMO if I don't like the main feature of a pack I don't see how it's worth its money. I won't pay 20-40$ on a pack because I like the windows or one of the skills.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    It happened once or twice when I saw a pack without being interested the main feature
    Honestly buying a pack without being interesting in the main feature is the reason Vampires are the way they are now. The guru's created an individual pack for them so they would be fully fleshed out and not half-❤️❤️❤️❤️, shoved in as a side feature to a pack (ala Aliens and Mermaids) But due to people buying Vampires for the BB/CaS items lead to an uproar in people complaining about the main feature, which was the vampires themselves.

Like if you don't want vampires in your game fine, use a mod to keep the game from generating new ones and keep the premade ones isolated in Forgotten Hollow, but for the love of God, please don't endlessly whine about it on the Forums or to the Devs via Twitter, because guess what? The gurus bowed to the pressure and now vampires have been nerfed to Hell and back, so the people who actually wanted to play with vampires and experience the more scary side of them have to jump through hoops just to get vampire's breaking in or having their sim become a vampire. It's maddening.
    And overall, the worst aspect is that all the complaints about Vampires bubbled over to Mermaids and Spellcasters. You can see the effect the most with Spellcasters, it's why they're stuck to performing magic only in the Magic Realm and why they'll prioritise using normal objects over using spells, such as scrubroo, and teleport/brooms etc.

It's also why random NPC's from unplayed households will become Spellcasters to "fill" the Magic World because people kept complaining about game generated sims. Which is actually a feature that wasn't in Vampires, because the people who made that pack, knew that we the players wanted control over who became a vampire and who didn't, so without a mod you get the "invasion of the Spellcasters." It's beyond annoying. (ofc the NPC's becoming Spellcasters could be a bug and not a feature, I'm not overly sure on that one.)

Totally agree with this. But I'll add that I think that if you are going to buy a pack for the "stuff" and not the gameplay, just be prepared to take responsibility for that decision. A pack should never be nerfed because a player just wanted the furniture or hair styles.

I did my research on Parenthood and Eco Lifestyle and had to determine if the gameplay would be too invasive to my play style. Parenthood, yes, so I didn't buy it. Eco, not anymore, since the bugs were fixed and it came with toggles, so I got it when it was 50% off. I understand that there's still a chance of new bugs surfacing that could affect this, but that's the risk I chose to take.

Vampires should be fixed to do home drinking invasions like they used to when the pack first came out. Furniture buyers be darned.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Honestly buying a pack without being interesting in the main feature is the reason Vampires are the way they are now. The guru's created an individual pack for them so they would be fully fleshed out and not half-❤️❤️❤️❤️, shoved in as a side feature to a pack (ala Aliens and Mermaids) But due to people buying Vampires for the BB/CaS items lead to an uproar in people complaining about the main feature, which was the vampires themselves.

Totally agree with this. But I'll add that I think that if you are going to buy a pack for the "stuff" and not the gameplay, just be prepared to take responsibility for that decision. A pack should never be nerfed because a player just wanted the furniture or hair styles.

I did my research on Parenthood and Eco Lifestyle and had to determine if the gameplay would be too invasive to my play style. Parenthood, yes, so I didn't buy it. Eco, not anymore, since the bugs were fixed and it came with toggles, so I got it when it was 50% off. I understand that there's still a chance of new bugs surfacing that could affect this, but that's the risk I chose to take.

Vampires should be fixed to do home drinking invasions like they used to when the pack first came out. Furniture buyers be darned.

I agree 100% especially that if you are going to buy a pack for the "stuff" and not the gameplay, you should be aware of what effects that decision has on the gameplay itself.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options

Exactly, if buy a pack just for the BB&CaS items and not because you're interested at all in the main feature, you have no right to complain, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    The rest of the fandom who actually enjoy the features of the pack shouldn't suffer just because you're "upset" over a feature you knew you didn't want, but brought the pack anyway.

I agree vampires should be restored to their release day glory! It is completely unfair for the people who wanted them in the first place.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited January 2021
    My answer comes with a caveat. Without being interested in the main feature sometimes... or in every save.
    I play a lot of ways and want all the things to be at my disposal for when I feel like playing another way. I just might not want them in every save game, or in ever sim family. I like optional ons and offs or toggles the best. It seems to cause less issues with fighting about who is right or wrong in how they play the game or what they buy or if they have a right to complain.
    For instance I have Get Famous, but I'm glad you can step out of the spotlight or not even gain fame unless you choose to do so. I wish there were more options like celebrities not always showing up at libraries, restaurants ect.. I have Eco voting off for NPCs in nearly every save. I'm really glad you can disallow vampires now at your door because I don't want to play them in every save. I'm glad you can stop rain and thunderstorms and icy conditions that came with Seasons and I do it for some saves.. And so on.
    Toggles, and options are key.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    It happened once or twice when I saw a pack without being interested the main feature
    Out of all the EP's, the only pack that I use for only a small part of it is Island Living, I enjoy the od jobs occasionally for sims that are just starting out, or if it fits their story. Other than that, the entire pack is only useful for me if I decide to play in Sulani, which I normally never do. Off the grid gameplay is also a lot of fun in Sulani.
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    Maybe not several because I don't stick to a single play style. But the things is I enjoy building a lot, which means the more BB options the better. So I'll probably end up getting all packs, even if not upon release. Even farming :O
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member

Exactly, if buy a pack just for the BB&CaS items and not because you're interested at all in the main feature, you have no right to complain, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    The rest of the fandom who actually enjoy the features of the pack shouldn't suffer just because you're "upset" over a feature you knew you didn't want, but brought the pack anyway.

I agree vampires should be restored to their release day glory! It is completely unfair for the people who wanted them in the first place.

And with the trespassing options on doors now available and working, there really is no excuse to NOT restore vamps to what they once were. Those who don't want nightly visits, could just "Disallow vampires" on their doors, and be "safe"
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Now I don’t buy any packs which I’m not interested in the main feature. Do I don’t have eco lifestyle and snowy escape as the seasons EP is diasabled in my game. I also regret to buy the seasons and parenthood pack. I rarely play big family in game. It’s frustrating so many rain often while visiting community lots a lot in my game. So they don’t fit to my game.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Other
    I have to confess I actually bought the Snowy Escape pack mainly because I hoped it would fix a couple of bugs I was encountering (it did). I was planning to get the pack eventually, but I was annoyed by the bug where my sims would become instant friends with others upon introduction. Someone mentioned that installing SE fixed that, so I got the pack just for that.

I generally buy packs for new gameplay, but sometimes depending on the challenge/save I'm playing, I may take a long time to get to the main pack features.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Heck, I buy packs and don't even use them at all, e.g., Strangville--what is that?! Never played it. Just got snowy escape and haven't loaded the game since and when I do, doubt I'll be going there. Visited the tropical island once and never went back. That said, I like having multiple worlds to play with if I want. And like having extensive hair/clothing options. I did thoroughly play the Get to Work and the Jungle whatever pack.
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    The first expansion pack I bought was Get Together (why I chose that before Cats & Dogs, I have no idea) and I STILL haven't used the clubs feature. I bought it more for the "partying" and nightclub scene and coffee shops. I play almost exclusively with Young Adults as that's the current lifestage I am in real life and I'm obsessed with Starbucks (and will be for probably another 7-12 years. Depending where you think the cut off is.)

Tiny Living, I got for the items in all honesty. I've tried building an actual tiny home, but it was just too small, I couldn't do it. And Nifty Knitting I got because of the items and smaller features like Plopsy, rather than the actual knitting skill.

So yes! I have done it.
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member

I mean I've bought packs without using the main feature myself, but I wholeheartly agree with you on the whole complaining about the main feature thing.

I wasn't aware that that's what happened with vampires and spellcasters. But I always wondered why vampires never broke into my house at night despite people talking about it happening and why spellcasters didn't use magic more regularly. And well, that explains it. I hope both of these are fixed eventually although I don't want to get my hopes up.
  • Options

I mean I've bought packs without using the main feature myself, but I wholeheartly agree with you on the whole complaining about the main feature thing.

I wasn't aware that that's what happened with vampires and spellcasters. But I always wondered why vampires never broke into my house at night despite people talking about it happening and why spellcasters didn't use magic more regularly. And well, that explains it. I hope both of these are fixed eventually although I don't want to get my hopes up.

Oh same, I'm not going to sit on a high horse and pretend like I haven't brought a pack and not used its main feature. But yeah, if you're going to buy a pack and then not use its main feature, but turn around and complain about said feature being there. Especially if it's the main focus/selling point of the pack, you really don't have a leg to stand on. No one to blame but yourself really.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Gosh, I have purchased several packs for the worlds, a couple because I liked the main features, a few for the BB stuff, one or two just to be able to download lots I wanted and certain packs were required to be able to use the lots. And there are a few packs I will never purchase because nothing in those packs appeals to me on any level. Generally speaking, there is usually something to be gained by having certain packs. Whenever the main features in a pack prove to be buggy, I wait until the modding community has time to fix it then purchase the pack when it pops up in a 50% off sale. But in all truthfulness, I feel the free game updates have added just as much to the game as most of the packs have. Especially in 2020.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    This happens for me a lot, especially with expansion packs, because those type of packs include so many different aspects. A lot of the time I want almost everything except the main feature. I'll be excited about the CAS and build buy stuff, the new world, the other activities, the lesser more optional gameplay features etc, but the "main" feature is often something that I don't see myself using much, or is something I think will get in the way of many of my stories if I can't control it.

This is why I take so long to decide whether or not to purchase an expansion pack, reading all the reviews and threads about it, pondering the pros and cons, waiting to see what modders do with it and so forth, to make sure that the main feature, which I don't want, is something I can turn off, ignore, or tweak with mods. Ultimately, if I don't see a way for me to do one of those things, I won't buy the pack. But often I can find some type of option to reduce, remove or ignore the part I don't want and I get the pack on sale so I can have all the rest of it.

This is one reason I tend to like stuff packs and game packs better than expansion packs. They are simpler and more tightly focused, and it's usually a much clearer straight "yes" or "no" for me.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".