Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does Parenthood actually change?

OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
I've been looking at Parenthood as it's the only Game Pack I don't have (excl JTB) and I really don't get it, I'm just confused what it actually adds?

You can do school projects and kids will make a mess with paints sometimes... What exactly else is there? There isn't even bunk beds for some reason? It goes on about improving personalities and relationships in the trailer but from what I've heard personalities are still bad even with all the packs, so I'm just confused what this pack actually adds other than a few very minor things? How do you use it in your game/what do you get from it to make it worth buying?

Comments

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2020
    I do always feel like there is more they could have done with the pack, but I do enjoy it.

Toddlers to teens can have tantrums to mood swings. Children and teens going through certain phases at that as one of my child sims was going through a mean phase and would just constantly fuss and get into arguments with their sibling (sibling rivalry are a thing) or their parents, thus they'd usually get punished by either via time out or grounded one. Can also coach them through their moods in either talking them through it or getting them to channel it else where (like going for a jog to clear their head).

I did notice differences in the way younger sims act with the value system in place when they go a certain way (Getting bad grades adds to the way to being irresponsible for example). It really focuses more on parenting in which things can affect these sims, especially when coaxing them in certain directions be it good or bad. Here's a link to Carl's Sim guide all about the value system in parenthood and might give you some insight on the benefits of them.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/gamepacks/parenthood/values.php

And one for the parenting skill

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/parenthood/parenting/

:V Really overall good for people that are family players for sure.

Overall point of the pack is how parenting actually can be impactful on the sim when they get to be a young adult (because the added traits does affect the sim). It was definitely a lot more interesting in raising a young sim to see how they turn out with your help.

You can practically raise kids without directly controlling them, since you can influence them to take care of their needs, do their homework, do chores, cook and the like as well too.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,885 Member
  • Options
    FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    To be honest, I think it adds a lot of nice touches to Sims regarding familiar relationships and school routine.

It changes autonomy as their character values increases and/or decreases and also after they get the CV related traits. I noticed recently that some Sims with manners are setting the table constantly and responsible Sims do their homework and performe well at school. You will get phases that will add some moodlets and also change a little bit of autonomy. There's a lot of interactions that can lead to funny scenarios (e.g. I had Alex Goth and Mortimer eating breakfast and the context menu suggested me to "Argue about house rules" which made Alex and Mort argue repeatedly to a point that I thought the interaction bugged. Bottom line: both received an angry moodlet regarding stalemate discussion). Also parenting interactions between parents and their kids can lead to some funny situations too, mainly if you use its interactions to increase parenting skill (like scream to your kid to do homework when they are enraged by some crazy teen phase).

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I love it and hate it all at the same time. I enjoy having the character values for my sim kids and teens. I do not however enjoy being annoyed with the same few random questions over and over again every single sim day by every single kid and teen that I play in my game. If I had an option to turn it off I would straight away and never turn it back on. I wish they would tone it down to just once or twice a week. It’s really obnoxious and spammy.
  • Options
    EmersedCrownEmersedCrown Posts: 120 Member
    I agree with what others have said - the character values are the best bit about it. Despite not having, in my opinion, the best features, it is probably one of the packs that has the most day-to-day impact on my play. Partly because of the constant parenting questions that @Sharonia mentioned, but also because of the volunteering, mood swings, acne face features (I use that in CAS on my teens a lot), school projects etc. It has helped make the child years feel more purposeful. Teen years still need a lot of work to make them more distinctive, I think.

I don't think I have managed to fully engage with some of its features though, because the parenting skill limits you too much. Like, I never reach high enough parenting to give time outs and things like that.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,676 Member
    Just adding that certain character values will reward the grown up sim with extra traits, such as "Good manners". Such traits will add new options to what/how the sim can interact with others, like a sim with "good manners" can greet others shaking hands. I have not explored all possibilities, but I assume the other extra traits will add new options, too.

Because I play rotationally I don't stop long enough with each household to really focus a lot on parenting. That's probably why this pack is not in my top 5, but there are certain things that I use often, and it feels there is more to do for toddlers, children and teens.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I love it and hate it all at the same time. I enjoy having the character values for my sim kids and teens. I do not however enjoy being annoyed with the same few random questions over and over again every single sim day by every single kid and teen that I play in my game. If I had an option to turn it off I would straight away and never turn it back on. I wish they would tone it down to just once or twice a week. It’s really obnoxious and spammy.

Oh gosh I had to mod that out 😆😆 it was a never ending train of questions from a household of teens. They would line up
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I...like the question thing? Sometimes I min-max for the best character value, sometimes I answer based on what I think the parent feels like to me. -shrug-
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    It adds a lot for family gameplay, mainly the way the parents and children interact and how siblings interact. Parents can tuck in their child Sims, much like with toddlers in the basegame. Other Sims in the household can help the child with their school project. The child can work sloppily or carefully and completing school projects give a boost to their school performance.

Toddlers, children and teens have 5 character values which can become either a positive or negative trait when they age into young adults. These traits do impact their personalities. Responsible Sims will work hard at work and you may get a pop up asking you how they should spend their lunchbreak (go to the gym or work through the break), or what to do about an intern (assign them to coffee duty or give them an easy work task). Good mannered Sims can do a polite greeting (which gives a huge boost to the relationship) and will often set the table. My teenage Sim's manners are in range to receive the good manners trait and she's often setting the table whereas her siblings don't (their manners are not in range for good manners).

You can choose what kind of parents your Sims will be. You can decide to ignor bad behaviour, calmly repremand it, yell at your children, and even ground them. When you ground them you decide what privillage to take from them (no computer, no going out, no friends over, etc.)

Children and teens may ask an adult Sim for advice. This will result in a chance card where you decide how to respond. The school may also ring the parent (actually any playable adult in the house) and inform them of something that's happened with that child at school. You decide what the parent responds with. All chance card will raise 1 character value and lower another. As you progress through the parenting skill you get more options and can see how each option will impact the character values (high parenting skill for this one).

Teens will experience mood swings which are buffs of 50. They may become extremely sad, angry or embarrassed. This will make them enraged or mortified, but they will not die since teenagers no longer die from emotional deaths (however mods that give teens adult sim abilities may not protect your teen from this). They can wind down with classical music, go for a jog, or write in a journal to calm down.

Teens and children will go through phases that last a few sim days. A sim going through a mean streak phase will autonomously be mean to other Sims and a sim going through the loud phase will make a lot of noise.

When the Sim ages to young adult their relationshios with their relatives will have some unique descriptions. Mine all get along so I've only seen daddy's girl, Mummy's girl, World's Best Grandma, etc.

I tend to play with families. I play through the generations so this pack has added a lot for me. I really like the character values system and the associated traits, and the chance cards that impact these character values. What they do as children and how their parents raise them impacts how the child sim will turn out.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    It adds useless popups like ask for advice and character values are always lost. It's always negative and that's why I don't play kids and teens anymore or I disable the pack. It added phases and kids get sad if you take the bear suit off. Kids and teens can now yell at parents and say forbidden words. Toddlers can bite parents. It also added mood swings that can kill your teenaged Sims immediately after landing on the sidewalk after school. IMO it's the worst pack ever! It adds drama that is much disliked by me. No teenager in real life has ever died of embarrassment because they got a pimple but they can in this game. Again, IMO worst pack ever!
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    It adds useless popups like ask for advice and character values are always lost. It's always negative and that's why I don't play kids and teens anymore or I disable the pack. It added phases and kids get sad if you take the bear suit off. Kids and teens can now yell at parents and say forbidden words. Toddlers can bite parents. It also added mood swings that can kill your teenaged Sims immediately after landing on the sidewalk after school. IMO it's the worst pack ever! It adds drama that is much disliked by me. No teenager in real life has ever died of embarrassment because they got a pimple but they can in this game. Again, IMO worst pack ever!

As was pointed out in the response above yours, Teenagers don't die emotional deaths with Parenthood installed. So teenagers won't die from a pimple (that and breakouts are Tense, not Embarrassed...)

As for the ask advice - yes, every option raises something and lowers something else. It's a balance for what traits do you value for your kids (some traits are easier to raise than others, so I choose those.)

I mean, if you don't want to play with the pack, that's fine and your choice. I'm just pointing out where your critiques are either inaccurate or unbalanced.

Personally, I'm glad I got Parenthood. I like trying to work on my Sim kids' Empathy while not letting their Manners drop too low. I like the changes in kids behaviors as they work through their phases. I like having their parents try to help them through those moods. And I like that when they age up with the Responsible trait, their daily task is automatically done.

Do I have some annoyances with the pop-ups? Yes, especially when the school calls someone who isn't the actual parent. (Seriously, his Brother-in-law isn't the person to be calling when the teenager is in trouble.) But it's rarely to the point where it gets in the way of my fun.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I love and hate Parenthood. There's no question it adds a lot to family play. My personal favourites are the school projects and mood swings, but I also like the phases. What I don't like is that some of the character values are too easy to get whereas others feel very grindy. I think some rebalancing would be needed there, but I doubt they do it. I usually have to fight hard for my sims not to gain certain value traits. I don't want all sims to have them because they can be overpowered. For example the responsible trait is super easy to gain and it lets you autonomously work hard as an adult without negative effects + you also get better work pop ups. The frequent ask for advice pop ups also annoy me sometimes. Overall I think the pack is very much worth it, despite some annoyances.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I also have a love/hate relationship with it. It does make the teens feel separate from YA more than any other content in any pack. They have soooo many mood swings. The loud, distant and rebellious phases do make them feel like teens. Being able to ground them and give them curfews adds to that stage also.

I mostly find it annoying with the children, because of the messes and the advice popups. And I don't find it adds a lot to my experience of playing the child stage, other than having the option of working towards the character values as an added goal for the child.

There's a whole discipline system that can help with the character values, but you don't really see the results until they get the bar all the way in the green. Getting the negative character values is a chore and there's no direct way the parents can influence a child towards the negative that I've seen. I would rather there was a failure state to discipline, like being too strict or too lenient would reinforce the bad behavior rather than stop it.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I have had to actively lower Responsibility on those teens or kids that I felt it was inappropriate on. Usually one skipping of school drops that down like a rock. And similarly for Manners as Sims will usually automously do dishes and Friendly Introductions count for that as well. (Need to remember to use Funny Introductions more)

And every single park being a mess is...yeah. Especially you Hare Square! Least favorite park because of that.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I would love the pack more if the character values were tuned a bit better. It's almost impossible to have a sim who's irresponsible and manners is a little bit easier to swing either way, but I almost never have a sim with either good or bad traits with anything else. It might work better if you play on a longer lifespan, but on normal and natural just letting sims live, they are all responsible sims who sometimes have good manners and I don't even remember what the other traits are because I've never seen them. ONCE I had a sim who had all 5 positive character values aging up and that was with aging turned off. I've had no luck so far getting the traits far enough into the negative either so it makes for changes to the sims yes, but still they all change the same way so they're all kind of samey.

I do feel like if I played with aging off, or even a long lifespan, I'd likely get far more out of this pack as far as the character values are concerned.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    some trait from character values actually adds something to the sims autonomous action, more than the base traits.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I don't think I have managed to fully engage with some of its features though, because the parenting skill limits you too much. Like, I never reach high enough parenting to give time outs and things like that.

Agreed there, the skill unlocks are timed poorly. The 'find out what's wrong' and 'super efficient baby care' at the very last levels are only useful when a sim becomes a grandparent, because reaching level 10 usually takes until teen years, if you even manage to max it out (hard with just one kid, doable with two). For that reason, I've never managed to complete that one aspiration because I've never managed to enter the 'full parent mode' it speaks about.
    Camkat wrote: »
    It might work better if you play on a longer lifespan, but on normal and natural just letting sims live, they are all responsible sims who sometimes have good manners and I don't even remember what the other traits are because I've never seen them. ONCE I had a sim who had all 5 positive character values aging up and that was with aging turned off.

I have my lifespan modded to somewhere between normal and long (I think it's roughly normal x1,75 - x2 based on stage, to match the ratios of natural death at age 80), and maxing 3 values goes well. 4 or 5 is a bit harder and requires both targetted effort and a bit of luck on the random events.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member

Agreed there, the skill unlocks are timed poorly. The 'find out what's wrong' and 'super efficient baby care' at the very last levels are only useful when a sim becomes a grandparent, because reaching level 10 usually takes until teen years, if you even manage to max it out (hard with just one kid, doable with two). For that reason, I've never managed to complete that one aspiration because I've never managed to enter the 'full parent mode' it speaks about.
    Camkat wrote: »
    It might work better if you play on a longer lifespan, but on normal and natural just letting sims live, they are all responsible sims who sometimes have good manners and I don't even remember what the other traits are because I've never seen them. ONCE I had a sim who had all 5 positive character values aging up and that was with aging turned off.

I have my lifespan modded to somewhere between normal and long (I think it's roughly normal x1,75 - x2 based on stage, to match the ratios of natural death at age 80), and maxing 3 values goes well. 4 or 5 is a bit harder and requires both targetted effort and a bit of luck on the random events.

If you make your sims study or research parenting and/or have 3-6 kids, they can get to level 10 parenting pretty quickly. It's easiest if they put in some basic work before they're parents.

I agree that getting all character value traits takes a little effort, but it's do-able on a normal lifespan if you have a sim regularly do the interactions that prompt them such as "help fix relationship", writing in the journal, and playing with the doctor toy as a child. I just don't think it's always worth bothering with.
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Saw someone mention the positive family relationships but just wanted to add that teens can have a tense moodlet around their parents if they had a bad relationship with them as kids. There's actually a whole bunch of different relationships you can get based on relationship+strictness. And that's just for caregivers, as you can also get new positive/neutral/negative relationships with grandparents and siblings too. I'm not 100% sure what they're based off of for siblings though. Like for example there's "super siblings" which is from having a great relationship with an ally sibling or "thick as thieves" from having a great relationship with a rival sibling. I'm not sure what makes them allies or rivals.

People here have already mentioned a whole lot about the pack, but something else that really comes in handy for me are bagged meals. They keep for up to 10 hours unrefrigerated. So usually I either make them the day before or in the morning, and just send everyone off to school/work with one. This way I don't have to worry about making time for everyone to eat breakfast. Plus they get a little happy moodlet when they eat it something about "made with love" or whatever. It's cute and handy and they'll eat it automatically. And you can bag any meal, it doesn't have to be one of the sack lunches.

All in all I really love parenthood. I think it's my favorite game pack. It just adds so much more to the sims themselves I don't think I could play without it.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    @lexibee Sibling Sims are allies by default. To start a sibling rivalry, have them use the pack-exclusive mean interactions (I *think* the mischief ones might work too?) until options like “Trick into believing ___” and “Tease about ___” appear in the menus.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    @AyKooChao oh wow thank you!! usually my sim siblings have an overall pretty good relationship so I didn't even know there were hidden interactions.
  • Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    It's so difficult to bring character values into the red because there are too many positive interactions you can do to bring it up to green so it took me all of my sim Marigold's child and teen years to keep it in the red.

As an adult, due to her neg traits, she cannot keep a job. It seems like she doesn't put any effort and her progress kept diminishing until she got fired. And I've tried 3 times to get her back her criminal job. She was on level 8 because of her degree and she was leveled up in the skills needed but she kept getting fired. 😂

I think this was nice that her negative character values actually do have some consequences.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Parenthood is one of the games that once you installed it you can't be with out it!
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    The relentless chance cards will put you off having multiple children, that's for sure!

I like playing as the parents and order the children around. If siblings age up hating each other they get a secret trait which makes them tense in each other's presence. However I believe the negative traits have been nerfed over time.

Responsibility and Manners are easy to crank up but the others are much harder (chance card answers are key).

• Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I bought Parenthood at some point when it was 50% off. At first it didn't seem to add much, since I don't grind the character values that much, but then I started to pay attention to the nice new interaction options which enriched my play. The chance cards and kids asking advice are also quite nice, I wonder if I'll get bored of them at some point though. It's a bit annoying how easily manners and responsibility go up.

I really enjoyed when one of my toddlers broke her brother's school project a couple of times and how the brother reacted to it with either anger or sadness. Later I made him tease and trick his little sister >:)

I like to give diaries to some of my sims and the bagged meals are fun. My sims often take a doggy bag from a restaurant if they can't eat everything.

I think Parenthood is an okay pack and I'm still exploring it, for example I don't have many sims with character values yet.